Spacemen site

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Ian
Known user

Spacemen site

Post by Ian »

Hi all. I've been putting my Spacemen 3 site back together (the old one vanished some years ago). I've just added a gig list, which I have to say I'm quite happy with, although I'm sure there are some mistakes which hopefully someone will point out.

It's here - http://spacemen3.co.uk/. Enjoy!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Laz69
Known user

Re: Spacemen site

Post by Laz69 »

Had a browse through it yesterday Ian. Sterling effort mate!

Duely bookmarked! :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I lost a chunk of yesterday to that list! Great stuff Ian!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

More timewasting, err... research, opportunities! Cheers Ian :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Great news Ian keep up the good work. Hopefully you'll get the chance to expand/develop the new site and if you need any assistance if I can be of help I would be more than happy to assist :D
'Remember, change is not good'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Nice work Ian, if your looking for a correction the 2nd Edinburgh Venue gig 1989 was actually at the larger Calton Studios further down the rd from the Venue, sadly no longer with us, it was a fantastic venue, saw Ride, HoL, Spacemen and The Shamen x2 there.
Also, pretty sure the Edinburgh Venue gig in 1988 never actually happened, I remember a squad of us going up to see them an being left very disappointed, asked Sonic about this `no show` when we did see them at the Feb 89` Venue gig and he had no knowledge of it.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Thanks for all the kind words. I want to make it the kind of site that I would like to have found when I was getting into the band, so it does err on the side of factual stuff rather than the kind of prose that you find in, for example, the liner notes that came with some of the Spacemen and early Spiritualized albums.

I don't want to spam this page every time I add something, so if you're interested in that sort of thing, I've added a blog to the site which is mainly for me to say whenever I post something new.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

niamhm wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:57 pm Nice work Ian, if your looking for a correction the 2nd Edinburgh Venue gig 1989 was actually at the larger Calton Studios further down the rd from the Venue, sadly no longer with us, it was a fantastic venue, saw Ride, HoL, Spacemen and The Shamen x2 there.
Also, pretty sure the Edinburgh Venue gig in 1988 never actually happened, I remember a squad of us going up to see them an being left very disappointed, asked Sonic about this `no show` when we did see them at the Feb 89` Venue gig and he had no knowledge of it.
I changed the details of the 89 one a few days ago - I did have the details on the page about the gig, but forgot to change it on the main listing.

Is it the March 88 or October 88 one that you think didn't happen? I would have thought it more likely to be the latter, but always grateful for any new details.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

This is AMAZING. Thanks so much for doing this. The rundown/photos/descriptions of each show is just incredible.

I would kill for some of those tour posters...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Ian wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 pm
niamhm wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:57 pm Nice work Ian, if your looking for a correction the 2nd Edinburgh Venue gig 1989 was actually at the larger Calton Studios further down the rd from the Venue, sadly no longer with us, it was a fantastic venue, saw Ride, HoL, Spacemen and The Shamen x2 there.
I changed the details of the 89 one a few days ago - I did have the details on the page about the gig, but forgot to change it on the main listing.

Is it the March 88 or October 88 one that you think didn't happen? I would have thought it more likely to be the latter, but always grateful for any new details.
Christ!! Now your asking, I didn`t realise there were two listings for the Venue in 88`, let me think about that an see if I can place it, it s a long time ago, all I know is we were Spacemen fans and waited a while to see them an were so peed off to go up to Edinburgh and not see them, you have to remember maybe only 50% of us had jobs, the rest on the dole, Spacemen were our band at the time and to go up to the `big city` and not see them was a total pisser, wasn`t the only time we hired a van to go see a band at The Venue and turned up outside to see the venue locked up.
Let me run the question by my younger brother and I`ll get back to you
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

This the ultimate, what a fan can wish for. Reminds me of my own hunger from 15 years ago, when i hunted down every possible clipping of a magazine at Ebay. Got around the half what Ian has by now, but i was already then dreaming of putting that stuff into one book full of scans, but now this - this is excellent. This needs to be alive and up for forever and ever.
Maybe moderators can even make a sticky thread out of the link, so whenever a new fan bumps into this message board, this massive work will always be also among the top issues.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

niamhm wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:58 pm
Ian wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 pm Is it the March 88 or October 88 one that you think didn't happen? I would have thought it more likely to be the latter, but always grateful for any new details.
Christ!! Now your asking, I didn`t realise there were two listings for the Venue in 88`, let me think about that an see if I can place it, it s a long time ago, all I know is we were Spacemen fans and waited a while to see them an were so peed off to go up to Edinburgh and not see them, you have to remember maybe only 50% of us had jobs, the rest on the dole, Spacemen were our band at the time and to go up to the `big city` and not see them was a total pisser, wasn`t the only time we hired a van to go see a band at The Venue and turned up outside to see the venue locked up.
Let me run the question by my younger brother and I`ll get back to you
The reason why I'd think it more likely that the first one did happen was becasue it was one of a series of dates where Dave Morgan from The Weather Prophets was standing in on drums, and it would be odd for one of them to be cancelled when the other were going ahead. Whereas the second one looks like a one-off, from a time where they were doing a series of isolated shows. That one might never have got beyond the "tentative" stage.

And thanks again everyone, it's great that people are enjoying the site. If you've got any nice stuff that you think I might find a place for, you know where to send it!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

That makes sense the way you`ve explained that, I seem to remember Sonic saying about shows being book they knew nothing about, so your probably right about it being the Oct one .
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

niamhm wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:15 pm That makes sense the way you`ve explained that, I seem to remember Sonic saying about shows being book they knew nothing about, so your probably right about it being the Oct one .
Is it OK if I quote some of the things you've said in this chat? I'd like to update the page about the gig that didn't happen.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Of course, crack on :)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

niamhm wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:05 pm Of course, crack on :)
Thank you - it is done.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Ian has now added discography to his site well worth a look for everybody but will be of particular interest to 'obsessives' on the collecting front whom I know there are quite a few on this board (me included :lol:).
'Remember, change is not good'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This is going to be the definitive Spacemen 3 site & I'm really impressed with the work that has gone into it, so hats off to Ian from me. I know some from this board have contributed but the hard work is all Ian's. And the site can only get better... One to keep an eye on!
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Really (really) impressed with the site - I hadn't had the chance to check it out properly until this evening (I'm half way thru 1987...)

Incredible amount of archive posters - and given how unpopular they were at the start it's all the more remarkable that you've managed to get scans/photos etc. I wonder what it was like at the show with 2 people in attendance?! Also, yeah, if anyone's got any “psychedelic wholefood” then shoot me a pm :)

Would love to see more comments over time from people who were at the gigs. There's one so far that I spotted about the "coldest gig" they'd ever been to. If there's one thing I'm getting more of an idea of his how much they persevered without throwing in the towel... those first couple of years must have been tough with low attendance, getting kicked out, etc... they certainly worked hard even through that chemical haze. Determined is the word.

"Will Carruthers says that his bass wasn’t plugged in, but that he didn’t notice until the performance was over." :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:24 pm "Will Carruthers says that his bass wasn’t plugged in, but that he didn’t notice until the performance was over." :D
Still one of the greatest Rock'n'Roll moments ever! :lol: