Spacemen 3 at The Enterprise

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Ian
Known user

Spacemen 3 at The Enterprise

Post by Ian »

Spacemen 3 at the Enterprise Pub, Chalk Farm, 2 August 1986.

Video courtesy of, and with many thanks to, Andy Hilton.

Happy Christmas!

#spacemen3 #somewhereinourheartsthingswontbethesame
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
olan
Known user

Re: Spacemen 3 at The Enterprise

Post by olan »

Thanks Ian and Andy too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

:shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D

Wow! Thank you.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Watched this last night, man its so good, pretty staggering that something like this can just appear after all this time, and on Xmas day as well, like some kinda space rock miracle
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Good looks.
Love me some OD Catastrophe.
Thankfully someone has the smarts to record them back then.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Watched this a couple of times now. It's bloody great.
Jason speaks! They'd only one mic though so that's probably the reason. He also plays the main riff on Things'll Never...which, when listening to old bootlegs, i had assumed was Pete. Love the very last thing we hear before the video cuts off is an audience member stating "Spacemen 3 were rubbish" :lol: Reminds me of the chatter on that Carlisle '89 show.
I'm assuming this is the earliest known footage of them? Makes you wonder what else could be out there. I know there's the Mean Fiddler 1987 'Revolution or Heroin' gig, but whether that ever materialises is another matter.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Yeah, this is the earliest live video we've got at the moment. Nothing after this until the 13 January 88 gig in Hannover, and then the two from the 89 European tour.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the 87 Revolution Or Heroin gig, it's sort-of lost. Perhaps one day if we're lucky.

If we're counting stuff that isn't live, there's this video for Walkin' With Jesus, probably from around the same time as the Enterprise gig. Not that you can see what's going on!

Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

One thing that has come out of this is that the accepted wisdom of the timing of the changeover from Natty to Rosco is wrong. Morse says that Rosco's first gig was at the Barrel Organ in Birmingham, which was on 19 August 86 - that's over two weeks after this gig. So assuming things were as straightforward as Natty leaves - Rosco joins, there are a few gigs that must have been Rosco ones that we thought were Natty. Zap Club, Brighton (7 Aug), Black Lion, Northampton (8 Aug), Reverberation Club, Rugby (14 Aug).

More interesting, but harder to work out, is when Rosco's first gig would have been. We've been chatting, and I'm sure they would have said if it was a clear memory, but I think we can all understand if former members of Spacemen 3 are a bit hazy after all these years. I expect that the Enterprise gig wasn't the first, surely seeing it would bring back that memory. There's a photo from the Rock Garden on 3 May where you can clearly see Natty. After that, and before the Enterrpise gig, there are:

20 May - Pilgrim Club, Coventry
30 May - The Crypt, Deptford
5 June - Reverberation Club, Rugby
17 June - Pilgrim Club, Coventry
8 July - JB's, Dudley
9 July - The Clarendon, Hammersmith
17 July - Sensateria, Birmingham
25 July - Roadmender Centre, Northampton

The only one of these that has a recording that I know of is the second Pilgrim Club gig. I'll have a listen later and see which of the two drummers it sounds like.

[Sorry to have reduced a conversation about the joys of watching an old performance to my usual level of anal detail. But what did you expect?]
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ian wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:47 pm Yeah, this is the earliest live video we've got at the moment. Nothing after this until the 13 January 88 gig in Hannover, and then the two from the 89 European tour.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the 87 Revolution Or Heroin gig, it's sort-of lost. Perhaps one day if we're lucky.
There's also Subterranea '89. I always forget about the Hannover gig. Probably 'cos it's a black screen for most of it and appeared years after the other three. Great sound and performance though.

Wasn't there a clip of the Mean Fiddler '87 gig released a year or two ago? Didn't get to see it myself as it was set to a private youtube account and i didn't want to create an account with them :roll:
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

sunray wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:23 pmThere's also Subterranea '89. I always forget about the Hannover gig. Probably 'cos it's a black screen for most of it and appeared years after the other three. Great sound and performance though.

Wasn't there a clip of the Mean Fiddler '87 gig released a year or two ago? Didn't get to see it myself as it was set to a private youtube account and i didn't want to create an account with them :roll:
Good call with the Subterania one, I managed to forget that one despite watching a bit of it within the last week. Yeah, it's a shame the Hannover one has so much black screen, I presume the person filming was wary of being caught and chucked out. That's what's so great about the Enterprise one, apparently it was done by the venue.

There was a short clip of the Mean Fiddler posted much as you say. Missed it myself!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It's so incredible to see such early footage of them (well, real quality live footage in general). Thanks for posting this!