Sonic/EAR gig

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

spaceman13
Known user

Sonic/EAR gig

Post by spaceman13 »

As most of you that frequent this board I'm sure also periodically check the board on Chris Barrus' site, but just in case I figured I would give a heads up. For those of you in the England posters are stating that Sonic Boom/EAR are playing at a pub called the Black Swan in Northampton on February 4, 2004. It seems it is to celebrate a birthday or some other occasion, don't remember.

If this is true and for those that were unaware and are able to attend, enjoy :!:
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

How about a webcast for those outside of the UK (or unable to get babysitters/ dogwalkers etc.) ?

I'll be going up from London if it's definitely on.Anyone else?
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Outside the UK so I can't go, but just out of interest - is that the same "dirty duck" mentioned on the "For all the fucked up children..." sleeve notes?
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

I doubt you'd get more than one dirty duck per town..........closely followed by the filthy fox.
Trolleyhead

Post by Trolleyhead »

Dirty Duck is a pub in Rugby (actually called the Black Swan though still referred to as the Duck - don't ask - you'll fall asleep). The Black Swan in Northampton has always been the Black Swan in Northampton.
clewsr
Known user

Re: Sonic/EAR gig

Post by clewsr »

[quote="spaceman13"]It seems it is to celebrate a birthday or some other occasion, don't remember.

quote]

I understand its in honour of Delia Derbyshire's birthday. Wish I could go, but I'm on me hols.

Roll on spiritualized in Liverpool in a weeks time!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Where is the Black Swan in Nupton? I lived there for 23 of my 28 years and my mind is a blank. Or there isn't one. Someone help me out... It's not out of the realms of possibility that I'm just being dumb...
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Which beggs the question, is the gig actually in Rugby?

Update: http://www.northamptonbands.co.uk/ does not list a "Black Swan" on it's venues page.

Where did the original info come from?
Neil
Known user

Sonic Boom/EAR Gig

Post by Neil »

This is the information that went round on the Spacemen 3 mailing list thingy

Hi

apologies for this information getting to you a little late.
No tickets on sale before the night, i'm afraid, but be assured if you turn up earlyish, you'll get in.
Venue is just round the corner from Northampton train station so very accessible. Trains run from Euston and Birmingham very regularly.
Any questions etc. by all means get in touch.

Regards
Paul Wilson
Liquidiser

Wednesday 4th February 2004
Liquidiser's lion cub presents:

SONIC BOOM aka EXPERIMENTAL AUDIO RESEARCH
Only E.A.R. gig in 2004

For Delia Derbyshire:
included will be a piece called 'synchrondipity part one' featuring many sounds created by Northampton-resident Delia Derbyshire, who was working with Sonic Boom shortly before her death.

Doors: 8pm
Price: 4.50 GBP

The Lion Cub at the OLD BLACK LION, Black Lion Hill (very near Northampton railway station).
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

So it'll be the black LION then. Confusion over. :D
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

Jasonsmith wrote:So it'll be the black LION then. Confusion over. :D
thanks for clearing that up Neil!

I'll be on board, haven't seen the Boomer since he was farting around on an old casio supporting the Valentine's at the ULU in '91 or '92.
BRING ON THE SNOOZEFEST!! :twisted:
"Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going and don't slow down ... lets have a little fun ..."
- Hunter S Thompson
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Anyone going then?

It's the Old Black Lion, just across the road from the train station. Impossible to miss.
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

If I could fly... it's a long way from Surrey. Are you going? Shit it sounds good. :shock: :roll: :shock:
"Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going and don't slow down ... lets have a little fun ..."
- Hunter S Thompson
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I'm travelling up from Dorset mate... Me and Helm are going, if anyone wants to buy me beer I'll be wearing a black jumper that says 'Fenchurch' on the front. I'll probably buy you one back, too! :D

Last time I saw Pete was about 10 years ago at the Garage supporting, I think, Chapterhouse. He did the E.A.R./noise type thingy and it was pretty damn good, as far as I can remember.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Any ... ahem ... feedback?
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I was drunker than I've been in a long old while but I enjoyed it. The analogue droning stuff works much better live than on record.
Neil
Known user

Post by Neil »

I'm not a big fan of the EAR stuff but as I have never seen Sonic do a live gig I thought I would pop up from London and I have to admit the EAR stuff works a lot better live than on CD.

It was too easy to get drunk in that pub only £2 a pint :D