How The Blues Shoulda Turned Out track listing

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

If that means you own :
Dirty Mind
Controversy
Purple Rain
Around The World In A Day
Parade
Sign O' The Times
Graffiti Bridge*
the symbol album*
Come*
The Hits/B-sides
Crystal Ball*
Musicology*

*some of these are actually kinda shitty, but have enough good moments to hold onto. I also have the Batman soundtrack which is so very, very bad. No record store will take it. I don't have it on the shelf, it's hidden in a drawer. Oh man, i'm getting nauseous thinking about it....

Wow, really off-topic now. Sorry 'bout that.

And the Spectrum Live Chronicles were NOT labelled as being cruddy sounding bootlegs. After I sold it I reread postings on the board and came across Sonic's warning. It's a shame that there's not a similar warning on the CD. Someone coming across that as their first Spectrum release is not likely to go back for more. This one shoulda been left as a CD-R. All bitching about this is directed to volume 2, I haven't heard volume 1 and I'm not going to risk $20 on it. Even apart from the sound quality, I didn't hear anything in the performances that made this special at all. I admit that True Love Will Find You was pretty before it gets cut off and talked over. Bah!
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

catweazel wrote:some folk here need to take a stress pill and think things over as a wise, if slightly unhinged, machine once said.

not received mine but, on the flipside, i didn't put up an oversized egg timer when i made the order.

lets look at it this way. something you didnt really expect to see is due out - the cost of which will help to finance another album. what's to be upset about?

Granada TV and Video Rentals (1983), now there's an example of patience at it's best.
actually, it was sort of an inside joke. I'd been corresponding with PK and thought I'd be sarcastic. My apologies for not qualifying the joke.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

can i order one of the cheapo ones since i'm in the USA?
do i just PM pete here, or how do i proceed?

pity the exchange rate is such shite, i'd rather have the deluxe version, but i'll settle for the music alone. :)
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

http://www.sonic-boom.info

this site is where you want to go to buy anything from PK
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Runcible 1 Prince fans 0
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

davedecay wrote:can i order one of the cheapo ones since i'm in the USA?
do i just PM pete here, or how do i proceed?

pity the exchange rate is such shite, i'd rather have the deluxe version, but i'll settle for the music alone. :)
i understand the exchange problem.
u can have 1 set at $40 for being polite & sensible , . just refer to yr note on yr paypal application.
i'm sorry i cant just give it away , but thank you for being rational . you deserve the break .
sonic@sonic-boom.info
regds
pete k

btw -they are otherwise all sent out bar 3 copies left. thank you to those who thought it worthwwhile.
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

runcible wrote:Runcible 1 Prince fans 0
that is funny ....................
i like 'this is not music this is a trip' mix of Alphabet st. & kiss tho'
best
pk

Post by Guest »

thing that always got me about prince is the fact that the press hype him up as being this guy who can play loads of instruments. no-one ever asks if he's mastered any of em'? :)

each to his own. he must be doing something right as he's sold so many copies. its not like i can play ANY instruments either, at least he went out and bought some.

/to be taken with fine pinch of low-sodium salt.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hey petey, you should check out the cover that the jesus and mary chain did of 'alphabet'.

that tops my prince knowledge.

x
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Flamingrev : you are crazy. The 'Batman' soundtrack is an excellent album! That and 'The Black Album' are two of a kind...cold, cold, funk.

And you forgot abou 'The Rainbow Children', 'N.E.W.S' and 'The Gold Experence', among others.

And guest...I totally believe Prince is one of the greatest guitar players alive. Seriously - his tone, subtely and style are unbelievable.

He's meant to be an awesome drummer too... somebody said :oops:
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Typical Royal Mail.

I was hoping for a night in with "How The Blues..." tonight. That thought was getting me through a Monday at work.

Nothing dropped through my letterbox today though. :cry:

Please Mr Postman, make my Tuesday special.
Errk

Post by Errk »

Are there any copies left? I'm so late on this one, but I'd kick myself if I missed out.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Errk wrote:Are there any copies left? I'm so late on this one, but I'd kick myself if I missed out.
I think there are a few copies left, try mailing PK via his website. Well worth the investment.
Errk

Post by Errk »

BVCP206 wrote:
Errk wrote:Are there any copies left? I'm so late on this one, but I'd kick myself if I missed out.
I think there are a few copies left, try mailing PK via his website. Well worth the investment.
Ordered it :-)

So...onto the important questions...the people who've got theirs, is it as good as I'm hoping? Sounds like it could be awesome.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Yes!

A delivery from Rugby was on my floor when I got home today!

I haven't listened yet but I've been reading the sleeve notes with a big smile on my face.

Looking forward to listening later.

Thanks for putting the time into this Pete.
paulm

Post by paulm »

i was dead impressed with the early stuff with tim on drums ...it is actually more advanced sounding stuff than for all the fucked up children.... tim was actually a good drummer ...and i was amazed how jason wasn't that good at singing when younger ....and sounds like me when i sing so there is hope for me

obviously the different versions of song's we all know sound interesting and show a direction in which the band were experimenting towards.

my favourite track at the moment from it has to be hypno beat the demo of big city as for a 4 track that is a pretty good sounding demo ..same with these blues.

i like the version of hey man that's a cool version .

the experimental track's are good but too be honest i have experiment's like those on tapes which i worked on my 4 track .....i liked the tremelo experiment with the drum amchine going into hyper spasm

paul
paulm

Post by paulm »

just listened to both cd's back to back fully

and

i'm going to say that cd 1 is the best album of the 80's

for me the early spacemen period was the best ...... cd1of the set, for all the fucked up children and sounds of confusion are all album's which to me is their best work and is to me what the spacemen 3 message is all about .

i'm not saying it's their best musically or emotionally .... cos best musically goes to perfect prescription and best emotionally goes to playing with fire and recurring ...... but the early spacemen had the best energy and meaning also it too has alot of emotion but it's a different type of emotion ...the above lps deal with more meloncholy emotion's and sadness ...... the earlier released stuff deal with full on frustration,pain boredom and anger

and that is one of the reason i love 60's garage punk , rock n roll ,and blues cos they deal with the same anger.

some people would probably say that if their was a "drug sound" it would be in the form of an lp like playing with fire or in the form of tracks like ecstacy symphony , i'd have to say yes they do .....but the early tracks . have a certain drug feeling which can't be described other than ...... on cd 1 the version of things'll never be the same again ..... just clogged up memories of bunking off school sitting in a council flat ,smoking skunk ,drinking whiskey and throwing mustard from the 23rd floor .only to go home alone and lay in darkness in my bedroom thinkin about how much i really dislike my mates and how i will conquer the world with my hate and difference to the rest of the world ....... that's just punk rock and blues mixed together an undescribable feeling.

on the song blow my top it made me laugh beacause it has a certain sound like one of billy childish's band's ...and now i have a question?

pete why did you get rid of using burns guitars ...... i think they made the best sounds on those early demo's??? burns guitars are highly underated guitars.

also does anyone else's disc 1 say that by the river should be track4 but play's on track 2?

i hope my reviews of the cd helped anyone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

paulm wrote:
also does anyone else's disc 1 say that by the river should be track4 but play's on track 2?

All the live and in sequence tracks are labelled in their original order but the sections aren't divided up. So you're right - it is the second section of the CD but the 4th in terms of song order.

By the way:
paulm wrote:
throwing mustard from the 23rd floor
...is a fantastic album title.

For me the whole thing is fantastic. So many nuggets to choose from, and such character throughout, from really vicious guitars in Starship to sublime tranquility in These Blues. It's quite a compilation.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

On second listen - you're right Paul. The track listing on the back is slightly wrong as Blow My Top and Down By The River are reversed. The notes on the inner sleeve seem to be in the correct order though.

Also - anyone noticed Funhouse seems to be missing?
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

What a shame it would be, if "Funhouse" proved to be missing.

But what I really want to know (as someone who didn't order the set,) is: what about the stuff on disc two? Are these real, PWF/Recurring-type songs ("What U Wanted Me to Be") or experiments? Is the stuff on disc one significantly different from the released versions? It sounds wonderful, and I don't begrudge the price at all: generous of PK to have opened the vaults period. But..details would be nice.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i've sent payment to PK, now awaiting response.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Funhouse and Blow my top joined as one track the join is about 2 mins in.

Disc 2 is my preference, No5 is a fantastic 10 min bliss-out, there are a couple of experimental pieces but on the whole they are "proper" songs.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

slim wrote:Funhouse and Blow my top joined as one track the join is about 2 mins in.

Disc 2 is my preference, No5 is a fantastic 10 min bliss-out, there are a couple of experimental pieces but on the whole they are "proper" songs.
Duh. I should have spotted that but I skipped through the selection in my eagerness to hear the finished article.

I'd agree - disc 1 is more of an artifact. Disc 2 is searing quality. Both are invaluable and contain a mixture of both these facets.
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

Hi paul ,
ok -it's your opinion , but it seems an intelligent offering .which is nice.......
so...........I stopped using Burns cos they dont hold their tuning . the new ones have a re-worked vibrato arm system that works much better , tho' I believe only to slack , not tighten the strings -the old ones do both . Burns are sexy looking guitars , but mine (anyway) was kinda sloppy . I loved its sound though .
I sold it to fund the Starstreamer as a second guitar after my Jaguar .

i guess i fugged up the track listing -yes . sorry . not much i can do but kick myself .............not a big deal tho' really , right ?
cheers for yr nice comments.
bestest
pjk

paulm wrote:just listened to both cd's back to back fully

and

i'm going to say that cd 1 is the best album of the 80's

for me the early spacemen period was the best ...... cd1of the set, for all the fucked up children and sounds of confusion are all album's which to me is their best work and is to me what the spacemen 3 message is all about .

i'm not saying it's their best musically or emotionally .... cos best musically goes to perfect prescription and best emotionally goes to playing with fire and recurring ...... but the early spacemen had the best energy and meaning also it too has alot of emotion but it's a different type of emotion ...the above lps deal with more meloncholy emotion's and sadness ...... the earlier released stuff deal with full on frustration,pain boredom and anger

and that is one of the reason i love 60's garage punk , rock n roll ,and blues cos they deal with the same anger.

some people would probably say that if their was a "drug sound" it would be in the form of an lp like playing with fire or in the form of tracks like ecstacy symphony , i'd have to say yes they do .....but the early tracks . have a certain drug feeling which can't be described other than ...... on cd 1 the version of things'll never be the same again ..... just clogged up memories of bunking off school sitting in a council flat ,smoking skunk ,drinking whiskey and throwing mustard from the 23rd floor .only to go home alone and lay in darkness in my bedroom thinkin about how much i really dislike my mates and how i will conquer the world with my hate and difference to the rest of the world ....... that's just punk rock and blues mixed together an undescribable feeling.

on the song blow my top it made me laugh beacause it has a certain sound like one of billy childish's band's ...and now i have a question?

pete why did you get rid of using burns guitars ...... i think they made the best sounds on those early demo's??? burns guitars are highly underated guitars.

i hope my reviews of the cd helped anyone
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

this response below is like all your entries...........
humourless & boring.
let me know if u ever come to a show , I do like to play guitar with my feet on such occasions.
I'm having problems understanding why you''d give 2 fux about Spectrum anyway.................Prince over-mentions withstanding .

flamingrev wrote:If that means you own :
Dirty Mind
Controversy
Purple Rain
Around The World In A Day
Parade
Sign O' The Times
Graffiti Bridge*
the symbol album*
Come*
The Hits/B-sides
Crystal Ball*
Musicology*

*some of these are actually kinda shitty, but have enough good moments to hold onto. I also have the Batman soundtrack which is so very, very bad. No record store will take it. I don't have it on the shelf, it's hidden in a drawer. Oh man, i'm getting nauseous thinking about it....

Wow, really off-topic now. Sorry 'bout that.

And the Spectrum Live Chronicles were NOT labelled as being cruddy sounding bootlegs. After I sold it I reread postings on the board and came across Sonic's warning. It's a shame that there's not a similar warning on the CD. Someone coming across that as their first Spectrum release is not likely to go back for more. This one shoulda been left as a CD-R. All bitching about this is directed to volume 2, I haven't heard volume 1 and I'm not going to risk $20 on it. Even apart from the sound quality, I didn't hear anything in the performances that made this special at all. I admit that True Love Will Find You was pretty before it gets cut off and talked over. Bah!
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

sonic have you heard the joe meek produced track it's hard to believe it by glenda collins ....... it's a shiver sender especially the string sections interweeving each other .

sure . it's on a double comp they did 10+ years back of all the pye stuff -there was a double , then a single follow up. I am looking 4 a copy of the 'producer series' book though -which has a cd of 'I hear a new world' thrown in too. Joe Meek sends a shiver thru me , let alone his music !
bestest
pjk
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hmmmm, joe meek you say. something else to check out, thanks again, i'll drop a line when i have found some.

xshonnx

p/s- hey pete, just wanted to let you know that i really dig the 'spacelines'.you put some old favs of mine plus some real fucking gems. thanks for the turn on to washington phillips, you do know they just recently released everything he has ever laid down. i think it's a total of 21 tracks! i also saw an origianl 78 for "i'm a born to preach the gospel' if you got a spare $350.00 i can get a copy of it for you! :D
flaminrevvv

Post by flaminrevvv »

I give 2 fux about Spectrum because of the Heavenly Blows and Soul Kiss albums, as well as some of the bits included on What Came Before After. As well as some of the principal songwriter's contributions to a group called Spacemen 3. I don't give a fuck about Forever Alien or the lame-ass not quite limited edition Live Chronicles. I'm sorry, is it impossible for you to see how someone could be dissapointed with this product? I see how a completist can see this being important because it shows where Spectrum was a live band at a particular moment in time, but SERIOUSLY, it is some bootlegitty sounding shit.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm trying to work out why you bought it in the first place actually.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

runcible wrote:I'm trying to work out why you bought it in the first place actually.
and what you expected from it.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

runcible wrote:I'm trying to work out why you bought it in the first place actually.
what a silly bitch-fight this has become.

perhaps he bought it because he's liked past spectrum releases, saw something new available and decided to check it out? it wasn't THAT expensive once it showed up in stores.

Post by Guest »

JL is indeed correct. I've enjoyed a lot of Sonic's stuff. I had been eyeing the Live Chronicles for awhile, wondering wether I wanted to own the same songs again. I said "yes, it would be cool to hear Spectrum in its prime playing some of my favorites along with some rarities." I began to listen to the CD's and I wondered "Gee, who is this fuckwad talking over the songs? Why do the songs sometimes begin and end abruptly? Why does it sound as though the performance was recorded with a microphone placed under a styrofoam cup?" As noted before, I immediately sold it back in exchange for Prince's "1999." I got home, listened to Lady Cabdriver and read past forums for comments on "The Live Chronicles" and discovered Sonic warning that these CD's were for completists only and that the sound wasn't always very good. So only consumers who were reading this forum at that point in time recieved this wisdom, leaving the rest of us to buy a CD that puts the band in a terrible light.

So to answer the question "why I bought the CD," I say because most things that say "Spectrum" on them contain good music. That is also what I expected, to answer Slim's question. What I got, instead, as I have stated before, is some bootleggity ass shit that should never have been released into a music store, unless it was actually in a section labelled "Bootlegs" so that it would be obvious that it was a thoroughly unprofessional release.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

JL wrote:what a silly bitch-fight this has become.
Quelle surprise.

:roll:
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

As far as I can see the 'bitchy' side to this is simply because flamerev guy is beside himself that a CD he bought isn't as good as he'd hoped. If we all ranted on about such experiences there'd be no space for anything else here.

I may be guilty of jumping in to slag off the Primals and the Manics but I've only done that recently because its been quite good fun. Sure, I don't like those bands. Oh - I laid into Prince too but that was only in affectionate jest to someone else on this board who didn't react (that's you by the way Barry).

People like or don't like and that's fine. We've all owned recordings by artists we like that have let us down. But the continual rant of anger towards the Spectrum Chronicles disc looked silly. You sold it and bought an album you prefer but you seem mightily put out by the experience. We've all disliked albums we've purchased but most of us have been less offended than you seem to have been. You are really quite angry about the whole experience but the general thing others do is ditch and get on with. I don't care for a lot of EAR but I've bought quite a bit. Doesn't get me quite as riled up it seems.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I'm not really angry, it's just a CD for God's sake. I wrote a comment expressing my low opinion of it. Sonic responded that he didn't see why I gave 2 fux about Spectrum anyways. I responded. You wondered why I bought it in the first place. I responded.

A lot of space on this board has been given to extreme bitching or feelings of dissapointment about: The Complete Works, Amazing Grace, and Let It Come Down. There hasn't been a whole lot said about the Live Chronicles, and if another person who is thinking of buying it searches for comments and sees that there was at least one person pretty let down by the product, then that's good. The only problem I can see with this is that my comments should have been the beginning of another thread, because it doesn't belong here.

jbc
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

granted i'd been drinking (ho ho ho), but i suppose i was a bit prickly because it seemed that the issue re flamingrev was dead for everyone else until sonic commented and then it was suddenly fair game to pile on...

but whatever. i don't care either way. i have the chronicles cd's and while i'm not thrilled with them i will probably pull them out every now and again and play em. to each their blah blah blah. and now i'll let it go.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just arrived today! Cheers Pete!

Minimalist packaging to say the least but nice linear notes and some fuckin' stonking tunes!

Turn it to 11... :D
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

still watching me mailbox for mine... :roll:
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Can anybody scan the cover and post a pic? I wanna see what this looks like.
will this do

Post by will this do »

flamingrev wrote:Can anybody scan the cover and post a pic? I wanna see what this looks like.
YOU MEAN CAN SOMEONE STEAL THE COVER, AND GIVE IT TO ME FOR NOTHING WHILE SONIC BOOM STARVES IN THE GUTTER!!!1111!! PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME PUKE.

:wink:
michael poiu

Post by michael poiu »

wow! i can't wait till he releases these same tracks in a different order, that will be awsome!
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I don't get all the judgemental crap that gets flinged left and right toward both Jase and PK. They have a right to do whatever the fuck they want with their art. Obvs., people buy the stuff and appreciate it so get off your high horses. If you dont' agree with what he's doing, then just don't buy it, simple as that.

I mean, isn't the whole point of coming to this site is to interact with them? If you guys are gonna be little bitches about everything, it's only gonna cause them to not participate and that will really piss me off because we rarely have the privilege to interact with them or any other bands/artists we admire, in this sort of way. The fact that Jase put some listening recommendations up (and with La Virgen de Guadalupe in the background, no less) on the main page means he probably either reads the message board or got word that we were requesting this sort of thing from him. Given that he's ill and he did that is awesome. The fact that PK even logs onto this site and RESPONDS is another privilege. Back in the zine days when there was no internet *gasp*, there were no real opportunities like this, so please don't fuck it up. Being one who is shy and has very little patience outside of work because I work wite the homeless, I admire the fact that they even take the time to check the board, so please don't ruin it for everyone!

edit: hahahah (to the bottom post), it was a long night. I was also battling my kitty to get off the keyboard :)

I might make your post my sig to remind me not to post while under the influence, hahaha. My apologies for the rant.
Last edited by feetsies on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
s. leskie

Post by s. leskie »

sp please dpm
tuin for everyonel ![/quote]

i'll dpm tuin for you if you dpm tuin for me.... :wink:
s. leskie

Post by s. leskie »

edit: hahahah (to the bottom post), it was a long night. I was also battling my kitty to get off the keyboard :)

I might make your post my sig to remind me not to post while under the influence, hahaha. My apologies for the rant.[/quote]

yeah, i know, what is it w/ those guys? too many times i have come back to the little machine and found "sorry, no matches for gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg". either that he's dug up some pretty serious cat porn. "fur fetish". "paws n' claws".
oh, off topic, huh...

i dunno. basically i agree w/ you, but no one's a saint, you know? not me or pk or j.p..... lord knows i can't imagine there being a forum where thousands of people are discussing my personal life and all my creative endeavors, what a fucking nightmare!! but if there was such a thing for me, i think i would hope that i could hear people's honest opinions on it, regarding actual feedback about the art/music (not guitar feedback, i mean criticism feedback) (ok, guitar feedback, too) bitchy or not.
yikes... easy for me to say.

ps-
thanks for posting that apache GEM.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

You are welcome! I'm still enthralled with it.

On a side note in response, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That said, I just think it's pretty vapid to complain about PK's sale of HIS product/art/whatever you want to call it, and especially on this board which isn't really HIS forum. If you have complaints, why not e-mail him? He's not shy about replying - I've asked him questions and what not. People ranting is just people taking shot or whatever to get a rise out of him, and it's been done. Let's move on I guess is my point. Not that it will stop, I was just particularly sassy that night, lol. I try really hard to keep things positive. Anyway, I will be posting any more gems I come across.

smooches,
amelia
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
lular.

Post by lular. »

(formerly known as stanislav leskie)

murkish smackers
jerkish thwackers
smirkish quackers
moldy crackers!!!
it's no wonder the dadaists were born out of war.
s. leskie wrote: i dunno. basically i agree w/ you, but no one's a saint, you know? not me or pk or j.p..... .
this has nothing to do with anything. dunno why i wrote it.

yeah, i don't have too many complaints myself. just that i'm currently penniless and wish i could buy records. i think i complained a bit about this in the collaborative novella entitled "u wanker".
but this whole piracy thing has got me thinking about what a huge paradigm shift it is. we'll eventually adapt, i guess. the printing press got invented & we survived. what did all those monks out of illuminating manuscript jobs do? they made jam & beer! but seriously, i think it's unfortunately up to the artists to come up with clever ways of still getting paid while also getting ripped off (via cd burning, etc.). i'm not a musician so it's all very easy for me to say, but i am an artist and therefore writing from the allied camp.
i have been thinking about this an awful lot, actually, and am pretty curious as to how the music scene will change in the next few years. cuz clearly, like pete kember mentions, the musicians are the ones losing out.
the consumer wins, with so much at his/her fingertips for free, and the average person will just take whatever they can. (i know because i have been the happy, greedy recipient of 12 burned cds. that number probably seems hilariously low (?) to some folks, but i am the sort who only owns 86 cds. sadly, if you offered me burned copies of all my fave records, i would gleefully take them and run. what makes me think that's ok is that when i can afford to buy records/cds/go to shows i do, and so support my fellow artists whenever possible. also, there were the times that i wouldn't have gone to such-and-such a show if it weren't for the cd that so-and-so made me of that band, that i didn't know about otherwise. so, i figure it's better than nothing. maybe that sounds lame, i don't even know. i'm still kinda living in the 20th century. no cell phone or ipod or cd burner, don't even know how to download things anyway, so my opinion on these matters is fairly uninformed and naive. although my digital camera is the bee's knees)
enough about me, though. yeah! THE POINT IS, isn't it too late to try and fight off the pirates who are stealing the culture? aren't they already sailing away with the booty and cackling "aaargh" at all the musicians who aren't getting paid what they used to get paid from record sales? don't we now need to try and OUTSMART them? and how is that done? besides ticket prices going up? i surely don't know the answer but am just putting this out there cuz i am very curious as to what other people think about it.
cheers.

will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

You sound BRILLIANT, Stanislav.
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

still waiting for mine to show up... *sigh*

Post by Guest »

I got mine last month. Be patient.. It took 3-4 months to get stuff from him last time.
_

Post by _ »

nice one stanislav, i'm with you. i think it's great that we're (hopefully) moving into a time when artists have to be prepared to work for nothing. it might weed out those who find music a viable and prospective career option from those who feel the need to simply create something from the bottom of their hearts. i don't understand musicians who consider maintaining an income more important than reaching a wider audience and moving more people with their music.
lular
Known user

Post by lular »

will this do? wrote:You sound BRILLIANT, Stanislav.
:idea: i :shock: am :idea:
lular
Known user

Post by lular »

_ wrote:nice one stanislav, i'm with you. i think it's great that we're (hopefully) moving into a time when artists have to be prepared to work for nothing. it might weed out those who find music a viable and prospective career option from those who feel the need to simply create something from the bottom of their hearts. i don't understand musicians who consider maintaining an income more important than reaching a wider audience and moving more people with their music.
hmm well i don't want to work for free!
i may be brilliant but i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. will this do? is a little easier to read in that way. roll you eyes at me or something!

i just meant, in my long-winded goofy way, that eventually artists have to adapt to what's going on around them if they do want to keep making a living at it. reminding people that cd burning shortens careers is a darn good thing to do but so is protesting the war. i'm just wondering how things (music production/promotion/publishing) will change in reaction to all this crazy technological inventing that's goin' on.
_

Post by _ »

:roll:

seriously though, i wasn't being sarcastic. few people would WANT to work for free, but being prepared to is what i'm getting at.
=)
michael poiu

Post by michael poiu »

You know, it's really sweet to see everyone coming out in Pete's defense - in response to my comment; "I can't wait till he releases these same tracks in a different order, that will be awsome!"

Wont it though?

Isn't this what you've accustomed yourselves to in the past 15 or 16 years since the 3's demise? Pete exhausting his efforts and resources on cover art and rearranging track listings rather than creating real music (because that racket he’s creating under the pseudonym Sonic Boom can hardly be called music)... but hey let’s be honest, isn’t it really just appearences that moves the vapid like you?

You should devote some serious attention to this: Everyday, in our popular culture, the public is constantly being drawn from genuine works of art, by swarms of mediocre artist - (you know, that dull, shallow, insipid breed of men produced daily by the thousands) - for being akin to their own nature, they always seize on what is perverse and dull. These 'artist' not only draw attention from genuine works of art, but annihalate the lying possibility of the education these works afford, and retard the progress of our age by limiting their influence. Proof of this can be seen in the old rule, the longer it takes for an artist to gain his influence, the longer this influence usually lasts.

This swarm of mediocrity should be met with critisicm for the simple fact that the artist should be ‘made to apply his muse else where’. Now, given Spacemen 3 have had a huge influence over me personally, Pete's side projects I've not been too impressed with, which leads me to believe he had very little to do with their success. Jason Peirce will go down as one of the most influential artists of our time - of Pete's influence, as I've said, I'm not so confident. However, I was incredibly impressed with Spacemen 3 and if I am mistaken, then now more than ever, this artist should be met with a criticism that is long over due - as to apply his resources towards a brilliance - once exuberant in his youth, now diminishing along with it.

For the simple fact that he releases the same tracks in different orders, with sporadic insinuations of unreleased tracks to grasp your attention (and pocket books) – I am made to believe he’s now in it for the money and no longer the art – and you’re all falling for a ruse as common and old as it is pathetic - done soley for money. As I have said I may be wrong. And Pete, if you’re listening, some of your releases with Spacemen 3 are fantastic. However, take a hint, you’ve exhausted them. Apply your muse towards the music, not the cover art and track listings meant merely to supplement it.

Michael
lular
Known user

Post by lular »

gadzooks!
this is a lotta subjects in one thread!

hey "-", thanks for your reply. i agree pure art stuff can't expect anything.
it's just weird to watch the culture change.... & do musicians have to sacrifce making money now that the culture is the way it is?

i guess the adaptation starts w/ people's efforts to remind folks to buy records instead of getting them in other ways.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

ah, sorry, '_' is me, i'm internetless and have to use the public library which makes my sign-in all mad. =)
lular
Known user

Post by lular »

ha! i should've figured that out... _ of course.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

21 Nov and i'm still awaiting mine, guess that boat from the UK is goin slow to save fuel.

Post by Guest »

someone needs a valium.. too bad 'ludes aren't around anymore. I'd give you one so you'd love me in the morning.
michael poiu wrote:You know, it's really sweet to see everyone coming out in Pete's defense - in response to my comment; "I can't wait till he releases these same tracks in a different order, that will be awsome!"

Wont it though?

Isn't this what you've accustomed yourselves to in the past 15 or 16 years since the 3's demise? Pete exhausting his efforts and resources on cover art and rearranging track listings rather than creating real music (because that racket he’s creating under the pseudonym Sonic Boom can hardly be called music)... but hey let’s be honest, isn’t it really just appearences that moves the vapid like you?

You should devote some serious attention to this: Everyday, in our popular culture, the public is constantly being drawn from genuine works of art, by swarms of mediocre artist - (you know, that dull, shallow, insipid breed of men produced daily by the thousands) - for being akin to their own nature, they always seize on what is perverse and dull. These 'artist' not only draw attention from genuine works of art, but annihalate the lying possibility of the education these works afford, and retard the progress of our age by limiting their influence. Proof of this can be seen in the old rule, the longer it takes for an artist to gain his influence, the longer this influence usually lasts.

This swarm of mediocrity should be met with critisicm for the simple fact that the artist should be ‘made to apply his muse else where’. Now, given Spacemen 3 have had a huge influence over me personally, Pete's side projects I've not been too impressed with, which leads me to believe he had very little to do with their success. Jason Peirce will go down as one of the most influential artists of our time - of Pete's influence, as I've said, I'm not so confident. However, I was incredibly impressed with Spacemen 3 and if I am mistaken, then now more than ever, this artist should be met with a criticism that is long over due - as to apply his resources towards a brilliance - once exuberant in his youth, now diminishing along with it.

For the simple fact that he releases the same tracks in different orders, with sporadic insinuations of unreleased tracks to grasp your attention (and pocket books) – I am made to believe he’s now in it for the money and no longer the art – and you’re all falling for a ruse as common and old as it is pathetic - done soley for money. As I have said I may be wrong. And Pete, if you’re listening, some of your releases with Spacemen 3 are fantastic. However, take a hint, you’ve exhausted them. Apply your muse towards the music, not the cover art and track listings meant merely to supplement it.

Michael
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

michael poiu wrote:You know, it's really sweet to see everyone coming out in Pete's defense - in response to my comment; "I can't wait till he releases these same tracks in a different order, that will be awsome!"

Wont it though?

Michael
You genuinely believe Pete has lost the plot don't you, despite the fact that you love Spacemen 3? My personal opinion here is that you've sailed past the whole point of what the guy sees as being fundamental to music.

I'm guessing you weren't present at the time of the band - if I'm wrong I apologise. The fact is that at that around that time people looking at the music of Spacemen 3 had similar opinions that you do now in terms of the music. Some band off in their own dawdling rotation, stuck in their own rut, worth fuck all. Pete's attitude is the same now as it was then. Sure you may not like what he's doing musically, and that's fine. But he's stuck resolutely to what he originally believed in, which was to make the music HE wanted to and if people didn't like it then he didn't care. In it for the money? Are you serious? Have you listened to EAR? You think that's music to make money? Making 100 copies of How The Blues is hardly going to ensure the Boom pension fund is secure (where these tracks have appeared before in some different order escapes me). My GOD! That comment alone shows your ignorance in spectacular fashion! You think he makes much money from music at all? The guy has so little interest in lining his pockets its silly. ...as is your entire opinion. If you think that because you a) don't like his music and b) disapprove of the release of tracks that would never have seen the light of day, that an 'artist' should therefore retire from view then you obviously have a much higher opinion of your own viewpoint than anyone else might give you credit for.

I am not a Sonic Boom apologist. I may defend the guy and I'll do that to the bitter end, but that's because I know what he believes in, what is important to him. He sits firmly on music's side and makes probably a great deal less from his trade than you do in yours. Seriously - your comments come accross as ignorant and, I have to say, pompous.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

michael?

we wait with bated breath . . .

(well put Runci)

:idea:
I think I feel it coming on
michaelpoiu

Post by michaelpoiu »

Do I believe Pete's lost his plot? Maybe there lays the problem. Perhaps what the guy 'sees as being fundamental to music,' ought to be reconsidered... I mean have you heard EAR?

EAR kind of reminds me of those bands in the 70's exhausting variations of twelve bar blues; following mere concepts- not any sort of true artistry. Obviously EAR is not a project of this sort - not blues. EAR's more like an obnoxious child who hears John Coltrane squeaking his alto sax, and decides he can play it too... obviously ignorant of Coltrane's intentions and genius. Or better yet, give that child a tape of Throbbing Gristle and a synthesizer - that'll sell good! EAR is obviously not the subject of debate here- it's Pete. Its Pete charging 40 quid for songs he's otherwise exhausted, with few exceptions of course.

I don't understand how you can praise Pete's ARTISTRY when he's exhausting the same ART. Regardless of what version it is, the substance hasn't changed; the SONG remains the same. You obviously are a Pete apologist because I've been sitting here reading your posts. You type fine, but he's probably got you speaking in vowels. Tell him to do himself a favor and apply that muse; listen to what is good rather than writing what is bad. Because when he was covering the Elevators he was doing just fine.
stillrandomfker

Post by stillrandomfker »

michaelpoiu wrote: EAR's more like an obnoxious child who hears John Coltrane squeaking his alto sax, and decides he can play it too... obviously ignorant of Coltrane's intentions and genius. Or better yet, give that child a tape of Throbbing Gristle and a synthesizer - that'll sell good!

EAR is obviously not the subject of debate here- it's Pete.
That is a plain contradiction. U dedicate a paragraph (and more) to E.A.R and then say it's not the subject of debate? That's all you talk about for the most part.

What is it specifically that u don't like, just curious.

For my part, I have picked up all the E.A.R Lp's since Mesmerised. They get played a lot round here. Always in the background, but no less enjoyed than something played louder.

And...unlike every other tune i have, someone always wants to buy them just for the art, without even having heard them.

odd/good. [delete as appropriate].

Each to his own I guess.
paulm

Post by paulm »

my own opinion is kember in the future will not be remembered for his work in spacemen 3.

but for his work as E.A.R , spacemen 3 will be more known in the future than now and then they did back in the 80's but won't get much acclaim like someone like say velvet underground has now

think about it most of the bands anyone likes in the future were disregarded in the day's they were around .

and i belive although pete is copying alot of themes from delia derbyshire and the other electronic pioneers of the 50's ,and the likes of bbc radiophonics workshop guys and even unknown electronic folk playing with gadets in their university cloakroom's ,in his E.A.R projects

i still think that it is music ahead of its time and in about 20 - 30 years he will be considered a pioneer for this alone

either that or he will be mostly remebered for djing and remixing?

*alot of people who got into spacemen 3 after they disbanded found the band because jason pierce used to be in them and they digged spiritualized in the first place
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

wow, nostradamus.

I learned about Spectrum first.. but I don't think any of it matters. Just enjoy music. I don't know why anyone cares so much about these details. Time will tell..
-D. H. Lawrence
lular
Known user

Post by lular »

[quote="feetsies"]
Just enjoy music.

yes!