favorite spacemen 3 moments

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

stanislav leskie

favorite spacemen 3 moments

Post by stanislav leskie »

so, i was talking with a friend on the telephone while listening (with my other ear) to "suicide" on the stereo, hence:

friend: "do you have someone over?"
me: "no"
friend: "oh, come on, i can hear an electric razor in the background!"
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

two moments that stick in my mind...

the first time my wife heard Dreamweapon, it played for almost 30 mins before she said "Have the started playing yet? sounds like they are still tuning up..."

Started driving one day and then Ecstasy Symphony came on. She sat through the first we bit... commented on how that sounded ok... after 5 mins... "does it ever change?"... upon completion... "thank fuck for that!"

I might have turned her on to many things, but some of the more eclectic stuff is still a little too much for her!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

The first time I ever heard Spacemen 3 was when I was around a mate's house in 1988.
As a familiar Angus Young-type growling rhythm was building, I thought he'd just put on an AC/DC album.
It was, in fact, 'Performance' and the opening strains of Take Me To The Other Side.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Doing 'work experience' in Rugby's only ad agency who, not surpisingly, had the account for Pete's dads wool business and watching them play frisbee with the Sound Of Confusion LP which had just been released. Mr Kember snr had brought it in as he was dead proud. I did finally get them to play it on my final day and they smashed it after two tracks!
paulm

Post by paulm »

getting fried on acid with my mate , him being a total square and not into good music at all ..... and me trying to explain that walking with jesus was actually about what we were experience ....then i started singing " here it comes here comes the sound the sound of confusion" ....... he then say's
wow even shit music sounds good on drugs?

i started laughing hysterically at the fact he thought it was shit ...... i then freaked out after a few uninvited guest turned up in his dorm bedroom .....one of which i belived was evil and one of which i thought was a chicken ..... i then proceeded to the toilet locked my self in and wished i was at home listening to the spacemen instead.

other spacemen 3 moment's include realizing how does it feel is actually based on a silver apples song .,the dogboy story in the book's pretty funny, also visiting rugby and meeting a few folks there and realizing it's exactly like where i grew up in west london.
enCosmikDebris
New user

Post by enCosmikDebris »

Banned from Coffee Plantation for playing "devil's music", otherwise known as a couple of cover songs from sound of confusion. I still don't see the connection...
apesgrapes
Known user

Post by apesgrapes »

late 80s, loop playing at the riverside in newcastle. pre-gig DJ puts on S3 track.

cue black clad long haired 7 stone 6 foot non-descript male rushing from back stage to DJ, & S3 track is terminated.
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

cue black clad long haired 7 stone 6 foot non-descript male rushing from back stage to DJ, & S3 track is terminated
Blimey, who could have guessed that Peter Kember was actually there!?

Post by Guest »

see the screen printed posters for transparent revolution around rugby, for some reason it was an image which stuck in my 11 year old mind (at the time).

Post by Guest »

enCosmikDebris wrote:Banned from Coffee Plantation for playing "devil's music", otherwise known as a couple of cover songs from sound of confusion. I still don't see the connection...
those folks must have known about this acronym:

Satan's
Political
Agenda:
Convincing
Everyone
Music
Enhances
Nihilism
3 (x2=6, 3 6's are the devil's #)

i dunno, crystal clear to me!

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:see the screen printed posters for transparent revolution around rugby, for some reason it was an image which stuck in my 11 year old mind (at the time).
I'm wrong, of course - but are you sure it wasn't "Transparent Radiation"?

Or "Revolution"...

Post by Guest »

Wearing an old "For all the fucked up children" t-shirt at The Venue in New Cross at a Teenage Fan Club gig when I realised I was being stared out by a long streak of piss dressed all in black trying to look all "shit your pants scary". Thats right, it was Tosh out of Loop, it seems Tosh took offence to the t-shirt but was too chicken shit to come over and 'talk' about it. Suffice to say I managed to last to the end of the gig including two encores without getting bitch slapped from old loopy boy. What a chump!!

Post by Guest »

Finest Spacemen 3 moment:

Flicking through my father's record collection for a Smiths record (he has his records alphabetically) and seeing "Performance". Putting it on and being completely blown away.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

thanks very much. You've just made me - and a few others, i guess - feel very old.
lloromannic
New user

Post by lloromannic »

Spacemen 3 as dad-rock. There's a thought.
Would it help that my dad is now 53 years old? It's kinda disturbing considering the usual association between Spacemen 3 and drugs.
Actually, he came home during Starship and said "WHOA! I hadn't heard that in a while". Two weeks later I had a drugs talk.