Flaming Lips DVD - Spacemen 3 Reference

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

thnkfstr
New user

Flaming Lips DVD - Spacemen 3 Reference

Post by thnkfstr »

I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but I noticed while watching the excellent Lips documentary Fearless Freaks that one clip of comments fom the bass player, Michael Ivins, shows just enough of his T-shirt to see the spacemen 3 logo (i didn't catch it until the second viewing)

Also, in the commentary, a producer jokes how when he'd leave for work, Michael would be sitting in the living room smoking a cigarette listening to a Spacemen 3 track, and when he'd get back from work, Michael would be sitting beside a pile of cigarette butts listening to the same Spacemen 3 track.

Oblique as it was, it just warmed my heart to see the Sp3 reference :)
A genuis walks backwards into insanity
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

also: little s3 logo on michael ivins' shirt in the "spock" photo seen on the flaming lips' myspace page. oh, and that reminds me that dean wareham wears a REALLY ugly s3 shirt throughout the video for "slash your tires."

say, does taang still sell those horrifying "midnight trip" spacemen 3 t's? ugh.
sonic boom
Known user

Re: Flaming Lips DVD - Spacemen 3 Reference

Post by sonic boom »

thnkfstr wrote:I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but I noticed while watching the excellent Lips documentary Fearless Freaks that one clip of comments fom the bass player, Michael Ivins, shows just enough of his T-shirt to see the spacemen 3 logo (i didn't catch it until the second viewing)

Also, in the commentary, a producer jokes how when he'd leave for work, Michael would be sitting in the living room smoking a cigarette listening to a Spacemen 3 track, and when he'd get back from work, Michael would be sitting beside a pile of cigarette butts listening to the same Spacemen 3 track.

Oblique as it was, it just warmed my heart to see the Sp3 reference :)
YEAH . mICHAEL STARTED WRITING TO ME IN '86 . GOD BLESS THEM & ALL WHO SAIL UNDER THEIR FLAG.
LOVE
pete k
XO
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

JL wrote:also: little s3 logo on michael ivins' shirt in the "spock" photo seen on the flaming lips' myspace page. oh, and that reminds me that dean wareham wears a REALLY ugly s3 shirt throughout the video for "slash your tires."

say, does taang still sell those horrifying "midnight trip" spacemen 3 t's? ugh.
Yeah , Dean was a very early big fan too. He saw us play live in London too. pleased to say , he (and Michael ) have been stellar life-time friends .
If you're as handsome as Dean u can wear Ugly shirts I guess ?

Ugly PK
XO
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

hey sonic! while we're mentioning TAANG, maybe you can clear up something that's been brought up on this board a few times (always by me, i guess). i was at TAANG about 5 years ago and was talking to curtis, and he mentioned a few interesting things. one was that they were going to do an 11" that would include the later singles not included on "The Singles." the other, more intriguing bit was that there was one (or was it several??) old and completely unreleased spacemen 3 tracks that you were going to finish up and release through the label at the time (not sure what package he said they were intended to be a part of). any truth to this? there has been pretty healthy skepticism on the board and from myself, but this is what i was told...

THANKS FOR ANY INFO!

(as far as the 11", i did see a test pressing of that on ebay a few years ago but the listing was pulled before its end date)
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

(on second thought, the test pressing i was bidding on might have actually been an unreleased double-10" of "the singles." i'm pretty sure this was the case)
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

JL wrote:hey sonic! while we're mentioning TAANG, maybe you can clear up something that's been brought up on this board a few times (always by me, i guess). i was at TAANG about 5 years ago and was talking to curtis, and he mentioned a few interesting things. one was that they were going to do an 11" that would include the later singles not included on "The Singles." the other, more intriguing bit was that there was one (or was it several??) old and completely unreleased spacemen 3 tracks that you were going to finish up and release through the label at the time (not sure what package he said they were intended to be a part of). any truth to this? there has been pretty healthy skepticism on the board and from myself, but this is what i was told...

THANKS FOR ANY INFO!

(as far as the 11", i did see a test pressing of that on ebay a few years ago but the listing was pulled before its end date)
all news to me
Curtis is a wild cannon.
i have no idea.
i never even saw his S3 shirts.
best
pk
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

i live pretty close to TWAANG! and i pop down there quite often.

i finally got them to find and sell me one of the old SP3 shirts a few years ago (how's it treating you northern). he is apparently selling these terrible knock-offs on white shirts and long sleeve hoodies. they look terrrible so fair warning if anybody is thinking about purchasing them.

he had/has quite a few SP3 test pressings. if anybody is interested i can pop down and get a price. i know they are at least $85 and up. almost makes sonic's offer seem fair!

but the shop now is pretty much a collection of oi! and hardcore punk music, when i first asked the cat behind the register where the SP3 was at he responded with a "who".

xxme
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

sonic boom wrote: If you're as handsome as Dean u can wear Ugly shirts I guess ?

Ugly PK
XO
Oh, come on now Peter, you're a handsome devil and you know it, and I think that's just about the least provocative thing I've ever said about you.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

a beautiful noise wrote:
he had/has quite a few SP3 test pressings. if anybody is interested i can pop down and get a price. i know they are at least $85 and up. almost makes sonic's offer seem fair!

he told me he sold kate radley a copy of the threebie 12" for $100!!
a beautiful noise
Known user

sounds about right according to their pricing.

they are soooooo outrageous, kindal like eil.com

xxme
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

a beautiful noise wrote:i live pretty close to TWAANG! and i pop down there quite often.

i finally got them to find and sell me one of the old SP3 shirts a few years ago (how's it treating you northern). he is apparently selling these terrible knock-offs on white shirts and long sleeve hoodies. they look terrrible so fair warning if anybody is thinking about purchasing them.
xxme
Well damn it abn, why didn't ya tell me that 3 years ago?!?!? I got sucked into that hoodie on ebay (midnight trip pic) but ya know, it keeps my skinny ass, sorry arse, warm during summer camping season in the great out of doors! Plus I look very cool and nobody else in the woods has one 8) 8) 8)
I think I feel it coming on
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

purespace wrote:...ass, sorry arse...
:lol:
a beautiful noise
Known user

ooppss!

haha you bought one of those hoodies. maybe if they did them on a color, sorry colour they would look better.

you should have seen the stickers that they were selling/giving away. they were printed on paper so as soon as you peeled it off, half of the image flaked off. they lasted about 2 days. cheap. cheap. cheap.

my girl does all sorts of silk screening (professionally), i mean if the board as a whole or at least 10 people can decide on a image i can have them done on tees for about $10 postage included. obviously i wouldn't be making a profit at that price.

of course that is if peter boom boom doesn't have a problem with that. shit, i'll even send him one. no charge baby. feel the love.

xxme
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

a beautiful noise wrote: i mean if the board as a whole or at least 10 people can decide on a image i can have them done on tees for about $10 postage included. obviously i wouldn't be making a profit at that price.

of course that is if peter boom boom doesn't have a problem with that. shit, i'll even send him one. no charge baby. feel the love.
xxme
mmph. spread it like a fever. i'm in.
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Count me in ABN!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

hold on, me too.
a beautiful noise
Known user

alright, thats two.

nobody else wants a SP3 shirt.

going

going

GONE!

xxme
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Me Me Me!!

Gladly. :o
a beautiful noise
Known user

alright, let's see how many peeps we can get.

u_derscore
feetsies
orbie
sunny

c'mon yous let's make this hapen

xxme
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

sure, why not
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

this sounds like a fun game. I'll play
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

if mr k gives the nod, count me in. i like my hair just the way it is ;)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I might be relatively new on this board, but you can include my vote too.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i would like to get in on this too, please.
Chaza
Known user

Post by Chaza »

I'd be interested in getting one of these.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Ads wrote:I might be relatively new on this board, but you can include my vote too.

only becuase i had a wonderful time in brighton, though i missed my train back to london and got pissed up and passed out in the park that claims "no alcohol allowed in the park". should have read no alcoholics!!!

anywho, so let's pick a design and then let me speak with my girl for an expected date that they will be finished. shouldn't take more than a month tops.

xme

p/s- do we want a SP3 ir spiritualized tee????
a beautiful noise
Known user

p/s/s-

the shirts will have to be black with only ONE color. don't matter what color but at the price and time involved she only wants to do a single color.

so pick the design and a color and let's get this ball a rolling.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

red and white!
a beautiful noise
Known user

let me try this agian:

ONE color on black shirts.

:D
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

red and white!
a beautiful noise
Known user

well that was easy, you don't get one.

just as simple as that.

xxme
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

"no soup for you!"

im sorry!
a beautiful noise
Known user

hahaha no worries.

i should have realized the connection the first time.

very good.

now stop it!

:wink:

and someone pick a design.
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

purespace wrote:
a beautiful noise wrote: i mean if the board as a whole or at least 10 people can decide on a image i can have them done on tees for about $10 postage included. obviously i wouldn't be making a profit at that price.

xxme

they sound charming...........
I unfortunately have to pay someone to make them , pay the band + boring stuff thats not relevant or interesting to you .
why dont u burn the s3 catalogue while you're at it & include them free.

am I the only person who equates paying for the music /products i like to support the band to continue to exist/release stuff ?
Or does everyone think they've a right to everything they desire , cost free . Does anyone out there understand economics outside of their pocket money ?
sometimes I wonder.......
bestest
Pete K
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

a beautiful noise wrote:ooppss!

haha you bought one of those hoodies. maybe if they did them on a color, sorry colour they would look better.

you should have seen the stickers that they were selling/giving away. they were printed on paper so as soon as you peeled it off, half of the image flaked off. they lasted about 2 days. cheap. cheap. cheap.

my girl does all sorts of silk screening (professionally), i mean if the board as a whole or at least 10 people can decide on a image i can have them done on tees for about $10 postage included. obviously i wouldn't be making a profit at that price.

the t-s i use cost more than $10 alone.
ofcourse i mind , are u brain dead - or am i just SO out of touch .
there you go , a 'wisecrack' set up for you
pk

xxme
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

Yeah Sonic, ' a beautiful noise ' does seem to be brain dead ? Also, he sounds a little immature :oops:
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I only hope the new SP3 t-shirts are better than the ones you got back in the day...
I had 2 of the original "For all the fucked up children" shirts and they both faded to buggery after about 3 washes, a "Recurring" longsleeve that shrank and lost the print off the arm stupidly quickly, and a plain one with an SP3 logo that survives to this day, although somewhat mis-shapen and faded. And I do know how to work a washing machine, before anyone thinks of getting wise!!! :P
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I unfortunately have to pay someone to make them , pay the band + boring stuff thats not relevant or interesting to you .

am I the only person who equates paying for the music /products i like to support the band to continue to exist/release stuff ?
Or does everyone think they've a right to everything they desire , cost free . Does anyone out there understand economics outside of their pocket money ?
bestest
Pete K[/quote]

Hey Pete, that's exactly why I bought one of the For All the Fucked . . . ones from your site this past December. I'm patiently waiting for it. I'll shoot you an email in a week or so if I haven't received it by then. Sonic's weighed in on the SP3 rip off shirts , so I'm out kiddies. . . Peace.
a beautiful noise
Known user

sonic boom wrote:
purespace wrote:

xxme

bestest
Pete K

hmmm, let's seee you right pete, i know that part of the $$ you made off of How the Blues... is going to jase and the rest that are on the recordings.

ohh wait you didn't make any $$ off of it, yeah neither will i, it wasn't about taking any money out of your pocket, IT'S COSTING ME MORE TO MAKE THEM. or did you miss that. (bty, if you are paying $10 bucks a shirt you're getting ripped off fer starters, i can get you clasic girl on down for alot cheaper, i mean alot.)

how about this pete if, $$$ is what you are concerned with i'll send you all the money involved, it was never meant to take anything away from you, only to offer a shirt to 10 people that might not be able to have one.

and of course people don't think they can just get what they want for free, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I PAID FOR AN SP3 DOUBLE 10" ALBUM. so please don't speak to me/us as if we just fell off the turnip truck. (does that translate??) to be nipping at the ones who PROMOTE your body of work the most seems ignorant and immature and brain dead to me. but that's just me.

don't get me wrong pete, if you're upset with this, of course i will respect your wishes and not do it.

all my luv,
all my kisses

xxme
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

A beautiful noise, just speak for yourself. You don't have to voice our opinion(s) on making counterfeit t-shirts instead of paying for the real 'authentic' merchandise from the artist. Thanks.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Mussels wrote:A beautiful noise, just speak for yourself. You don't have to voice our opinion(s) on making counterfeit t-shirts instead of paying for the real 'authentic' merchandise from the artist. Thanks.

trust me mussels, i would never EVER want to speak for or associate with you.

no offence, you're just a loud-mouthed idiot i try not to draw attention to myself where as you, well..

xxme
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

twentysixdollars wrote:
sonic boom wrote: If you're as handsome as Dean u can wear Ugly shirts I guess ?

Ugly PK
XO
Oh, come on now Peter, you're a handsome devil and you know it, and I think that's just about the least provocative thing I've ever said about you.
maybe not provocative , but definately contentious...........
pk
satellite
Known user

Post by satellite »

sonic boom wrote:
twentysixdollars wrote:

Ugly PK
XO
maybe not provocative , but definately contentious...........
pk
nah, i don't think so :P