Sonic - after Spacemen 3

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Shinesalight
Known user

Sonic - after Spacemen 3

Post by Shinesalight »

Got into Spacemen 3 via Spiritualized and now find myself heading towards the Sonic stuff. Bought Soul Kiss (Glide Divine) at time of release but only really giving it a good listen to now. What are the boards recommendations for good CD's featuring Sonic after the Spacemen split? Bear in mind I'm a massive fan of the Spiritualized output and love the Spacemen 3 stuff but do not particularly like the more experimental end such as the Guitar Loops thingy.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

get the sonic boom album called "spectrum"

then get highs lows and heavenly blows (2nd spectrum album)

the first album under the name spectrum has some great tracks but most of it gets boring if you are not taking drugs.. but if you take them it´s good for a trip.. although you wont remember most of it.

the third spectrum album? I´d rather play the spectrum and silver apples EP three times in a row... someone else can fill you in on EAR as I only have some of itr, and because of that I can´t decide what´s best.
In my own opinion of course....
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

appledelphy wrote:get the sonic boom album called "spectrum"

then get highs lows and heavenly blows (2nd spectrum album)

the first album under the name spectrum has some great tracks but most of it gets boring if you are not taking drugs.. but if you take them it´s good for a trip.. although you wont remember most of it.

the third spectrum album? I´d rather play the spectrum and silver apples EP three times in a row... someone else can fill you in on EAR as I only have some of itr, and because of that I can´t decide what´s best.
In my own opinion of course....
I woulda said Highs ,Lows & heavenly blows , but Ii get regular contrary emails saying Forever Alien is the best etc. etc.
there is a sampler that SpaceAge put out of Spectrum stuff .
try that ?I have it in stock .
best
pk
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I nearly bought that sampler CD the other day on E-bay but my computer froze just as I was putting my bid in. There's a bit of a bidding war going on there at the moment for Highs, Lows & Heavenly Blows. Will check out your site in the meantime.

Cheers, Ads...
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

everyone is different i guess, i personally prefer the first semi solo one, and then soul kiss......i was never so keen on highs, lows but then i'm not the worlds biggest avant garde fan and i love guitars. i loved the indian summer ep though
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

At one point Sonic said that these were going to be rereleased on Spaceage, so I would wait awhile before spending too much $$$ on Ebay.
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

flamingrev wrote:At one point Sonic said that these were going to be rereleased on Spaceage, so I would wait awhile before spending too much $$$ on Ebay.
yeah -its true , but dont hold your breath
pk
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

sonic boom wrote:
flamingrev wrote:At one point Sonic said that these were going to be rereleased on Spaceage, so I would wait awhile before spending too much $$$ on Ebay.
yeah -its true , but dont hold your breath
pk
*exhales*
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

For EAR stuff, imo, mesmerized is a stonking album, its like a mix of spacemen 3 and the blade runner soundtrack ! i also reccommend the second tune, well...noise on live at the dream palace, that shit will blow your head off, the koner experiment is good as well. although it can make me feel a little sick and woozy in places,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Thanks for the tips everyone. Been looking at a whole lot of Spacemen 3/Spectrum/EAR material on E-Bay. Found a shop on there that says its the official E-Bay shop for Space Age recordings - adamscds (you've all probably found this for yourselves already).

Its the cheapest place I've found so far new CDs. They usually put them up for auction and at a "buy it now price". Anyone have any issues with this shop/guy? It all seems legit but I'm naive when it comes to these things. Any thoughts Sonic?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Ads, I've bought from adamscds a couple of times.

You've nothing to worry about at all.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

is Highs, Lows... out of print/costly now?

i'm so glad i picked mine up when a local shop was clearing out its import section. :D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It certainly seems hard to get hold of. The last 2 that went on E-Bay went for £10.50 & £14.99 respectively. And its not on Sonic's site. Does anyone know if there's any chance its going to be re-released?
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I think Soul Kiss is one of the best things Pete's done. Disregarding bootlegs and demos I like it better than any of the Spacemen LP's other than Perfect Prescription and Playing with Fire, and more than any of the SPZ stuff. Highs, Lows... is pretty fantastic too, as is EAR's Mesmerised.

Speaking of which, does anybody know how hard Mesmerised is to track down these days? I lent my copy to someone several years ago who promptly moved away. I've since caught up with them, but they've lost it. The CD, that is, not the plot. (apologies) :roll:
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i respect Pete's first solo offering "Spectrum". intense, for me every song has it's place, no time killing or needless fillers.
"Spectrum" and "Playing with fire" are the best suitable soundtracks leaving this planet on a spaceship to... Mars or whatever.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Mesmerised is around USD 10.00 on half.com, with plenty of copies up for sale. Not sure if sellers on there will ship overseas.

Review:
Experimental Audio Research's debut, the aptly-titled MESMERISED, consists of four lengthy instrumentals ranging from the seven-minute "Guitar Feedback Manipulation" to the 26-minute "DMT Symphony." The album recalls both '60s minimalists like LaMonte Young and Terry Riley and early '70s progressives like Tangerine Dream and Can. Spectrum's Pete "Sonic Boom" Kember, Kevin Martin from God, Kevin Shields from My Bloody Valentine, and Eddie Prevost of the groundbreaking '60s sonic collective AMM create lush, evocative soundscapes out of extended organ notes, guitar effects and feedback, tape manipulations, and various completely unidentifiable sounds. Prevost's violin-bowed cymbals create an almost vocal, keening sound that floats throughout the album. MESMERISED is an endlessly fascinating example of '90s minimalism by an exceedingly aptly-named band.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Spectrum, Soul Kiss and High and Lows are brilliant albums. I would also check out "What came before after". It's a compilation of early Sonic and Spectrum singles. I only really like two of the EAR releases - mesmerized and Phenomena 256. However I did give up buying them after Data rape, so subsequent releases may be bobby dazzlers!
sonic boom
Known user

Post by sonic boom »

stegraham wrote:Spectrum, Soul Kiss and High and Lows are brilliant albums. I would also check out "What came before after". It's a compilation of early Sonic and Spectrum singles. I only really like two of the EAR releases - mesmerized and Phenomena 256. However I did give up buying them after Data rape, so subsequent releases may be bobby dazzlers!
re :adams cds-earlier postyeah .
nothing for you to worry about , except ethically .
whether selling yr own cds on Ebay but having a nearly invisible website is totally ethical......hmmmmmm.....but i have no doubt if they're the cheapest its the 'best' place . personally i'll buy stuff from stores i like more than be price sensitive . but maybe thats me being naive .

re: bobby dazzlers .
thers about 12 EAR lps I can think of quickly ,plus 10"s etc.
My persnl favourites are
Koner experiment
phenomena 256
Vibrations
Continuum

the latter 2 are with the production assistance & musings of Delia Derbyshire & have somehow slipped by most people tho' they are probly my favourites .they're a bit like children , U love them all dearly but there are always those one relates to more than others at differant times.

the harsher l.p.'s like Pestrepeller ,Data Rape particularly the former are things that a lot of people like but many find too intense or something. I would'nt argue with that opinion .
best
pk
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Sonic,

with reagrds to the "ethics" of buying on E-Bay - I'm kind of restricted in that respect at the moment as I'm currently out of work with a broken leg so finances are a bit tight. I agree with the addage that cheaper isn't always better but at the moment, needs must.

I started this thread as I wanted an idea of what stuff of yours to try next. I bought Recurring when it came out (in fact the only reason I bought it is because you were doing a signing in Rough Trade in London and I was curious) and after that I got really into Spiritualized. I've only recently worked my way back to the Spacemen and am enjoying the re-discovery.

This thread has provided me with some really good suggestions of what to try, but a lot of these releases are hard to get hold of. AdamsCDs claim to be an "official" seller of Spaceage Recordings on E-Bay, so whether that means you/the artists see any of the cash I am unsure (in my naivety I hoped that you would, but I'm sure you're going to come back and tell me otherwise). However, via them I have managed to get hold of Playing With Fire, Live in Europe, Refractions all at a relatively low price and I'm currently waiting to bid on Forged Prescriptions.

I really appreciate your input to this thread and its great to get recommendations from the "main" man. I'm eagerly waiting to listen to Refractions, which I hope is going to give me a better insight into Spectrum. I will then hopefully use that as a stepping stone to more of your work.

Ads...

Post by Guest »

[quote="sonic boom"]... personally i'll buy stuff from stores i like more than be price sensitive . but maybe thats me being naive .

with all due respect, sonic, that's you being better off financially than many of us here on the board. many of us can't afford to make a choice to support who we'd like to support. sometimes it's a choice between music or food.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Ads wrote:Sonic,

with reagrds to the "ethics" of buying on E-Bay - I'm kind of restricted in that respect at the moment as I'm currently out of work with a broken leg so finances are a bit tight. I agree with the addage that cheaper isn't always better but at the moment, needs must.

I started this thread as I wanted an idea of what stuff of yours to try next. I bought Recurring when it came out (in fact the only reason I bought it is because you were doing a signing in Rough Trade in London and I was curious) and after that I got really into Spiritualized. I've only recently worked my way back to the Spacemen and am enjoying the re-discovery.

This thread has provided me with some really good suggestions of what to try, but a lot of these releases are hard to get hold of. AdamsCDs claim to be an "official" seller of Spaceage Recordings on E-Bay, so whether that means you/the artists see any of the cash I am unsure (in my naivety I hoped that you would, but I'm sure you're going to come back and tell me otherwise). However, via them I have managed to get hold of Playing With Fire, Live in Europe, Refractions all at a relatively low price and I'm currently waiting to bid on Forged Prescriptions.

I really appreciate your input to this thread and its great to get recommendations from the "main" man. I'm eagerly waiting to listen to Refractions, which I hope is going to give me a better insight into Spectrum. I will then hopefully use that as a stepping stone to more of your work.

Ads...
Hey Ads - I went to that signing session as well - small world eh? I remember that it was billed to be both Sonic and Jason there, but only Sonic showed up. Only the passage of time helped explain to me exactly why that was!!!

Still got my nice CWNN ltd edition version (gold sleeve) of Recurring with Sonic's trademark moniker/logo penned on it!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

yeah, small world Greeny. I only popped in there by chance, didn't know he was going to be in there. In fact, at the time, I didn't even know who he was. I like random things like that. I got the gold edition of recurring on vinyl too - complete with his little triangle/eye squiggle thing. At the time I thought it was quite weird, but it means quite a lot now.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote: sometimes it's a choice between music or food.
There's always Meatloaf, Bread, and The Flying Burrito Brothers!

Post by Guest »

hey ads, dont forget to check out sonics magnetophone remix - that shit is hot
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Any word on whether a few more of the spectrum albums will be rereleased on CD?

I have Soul Kiss, Forever Alien, and What Came Before After but I'd like to hear the "Spectrum" album and "Highs, Lows..." sometime...
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Just keep on checking eBay. They turn up eventually.
nailik
Known user

Post by nailik »

Best EAR:
Worn To A Shadow
Koner Experiment
Mesmerized (DMT Symphony in particular)
Continuum
jamesj1986
Known user

Post by jamesj1986 »

I've got the E.A.R. Live at the Dream Palace cd and it's amazing.
cappin
Known user

Post by cappin »

so its true, all the internet is: thousands upon thousands of people wanking
chewthefat
New user

Re: Sonic - after Spacemen 3

Post by chewthefat »

Sonic,

This thread has provided me with some really good suggestions of what to try, but a lot of these releases are hard to get hold of. AdamsCDs claim to be an "official" seller of Spaceage Recordings on E-Bay,
Hi Ad's

Im pretty sure that it is official as im sure one of Gerald Palmers (spaceage/adasam etc.) sons is called adam, thats were the adasam name comes from cause im sure the other is called sam?
catweazel
Known user

Re:

Post by catweazel »

norrin radd wrote:For EAR stuff, imo, mesmerized is a stonking album, its like a mix of spacemen 3 and the blade runner soundtrack ! i also reccommend the second tune, well...noise on live at the dream palace, that shit will blow your head off, the koner experiment is good as well. although it can make me feel a little sick and woozy in places,
I'll also chime in a vote for Mesmerised - It's my favourite E.A.R. record by far. Ditto Highs Lows/Soul Kiss - two great albums.
Mon1018
New user

Post by Mon1018 »

I Love This Site
enjoy your stay! 8)
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I was listening to Pestrepeller on the train home from work last night. Came out in goosebumps and found my breathing was going weird as the 'rising' bits were going on. That is a far out and creepy album.
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

Weird! I have this on my ipod and the first time I played it I had the same reaction...I was very creeped out by it but also amazed too. Duno if this was the intention. It's great when good music isn't just an aural experience but a physical one too
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
NickSignal
Known user

Post by NickSignal »

Pick up a copy of 'Live at the Dream Palace, New Orleans'. It only holds two tracks but 'Song for a Seraphim' is my most listened to EAR track, truly superb! A gentle build up to the most glorious drone. It increases in intensity so slowly that by the time it cuts out, you had no idea just how loud it had become. Goose pimples every time!
We're lucky that this particular performance was captured.

As for not liking the more experimental stuff, don't fret too much. Friends of mine who grimmace at anything less technically / musically accomplished than Shellac have all given the thumbs up to this album!
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

Continuum and the Vibrations EP are my two favorites. They are the most melodic, or maybe like moire melodic shifts.