Taking Drugs to Make Music to take Naps to.

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

clewsr
Known user

Taking Drugs to Make Music to take Naps to.

Post by clewsr »

[ok, this is another one of those posts where I gibber about my baby daughter. - If you aint interested, look away now]

So, was having a nice lazy weekend, playing some guitar and some records, and then pulled out my vinyl copy of Taking Drugs to... and put it on. Ella, who had decided she was either hungry or in a bad mood immediately shut up, her eyes lolled, and she was asleep by track 2.

Intrigued I tried the next day with the CD. During the relatively lively Sound of Confusion she managed to retain consciousness, but by halfway through 2.35 she was gone.

3 times this has now worked consistently. I'm amazed. So forget all your lullaby cd's, fun though they are, just chuck on a CD of the Spacemen for a happy contented baby.

You heard it here first. :shock:
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

She either has impeccable taste, or is bored to the point of unconciousness. Could go either way... Image

edit: Does she like Guitar Loops?
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'll go for the impeccable taste option.

I don't think guitar loops is to her taste. No where near rhythmic enough. It certainly scared her the first time it was put on. I guess the jury is still out for both of us on that one.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

I'm making note of this, but to be perfectly honest, when I for one am exhausted but restless, I play Loveless - not because I like it, but because halfway through "Loomer" I'm asleep. It is excellent for long unsleeping car trips.* It has something to do with volume and pace and no dynamics. It's very likely I haven't ever been awake through the whole thing.

* Assuming someone else is driving, or you have cruise control.

Post by Guest »

twentysixdollars wrote:I'm making note of this, but to be perfectly honest, when I for one am exhausted but restless, I play Loveless - not because I like it, but because halfway through "Loomer" I'm asleep. It is excellent for long unsleeping car trips.* It has something to do with volume and pace and no dynamics. It's very likely I haven't ever been awake through the whole thing.

* Assuming someone else is driving, or you have cruise control.
Earth 2 (Special Low frequency edition) album, by the excellent band Earth. You probably can't get it anymore.

http://www.subpop.com/bands/earth/earthdiscs.html

The day I got it, my housemates assumed I was just hoovering, hoovering, hoovering. But it had actually set me on a strange waking dream. My limbs felt like lead. I couldn't move, even for several minutes after the needle left the groove. Four sides of clear vinyl (and only 3 'songs' - go figure)... I daren't play it anymore.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Earth 2 (special low frequency edition) is fantastic. "Seven Angels" is maybe the heaviest thing I've ever heard. The first time I played it my Dad came upstairs and yelled at me "It sounds like there's a bloody aeroplane landing in your room. Turn it down. Or off!!!" 3 tracks over 74 minutes or so, all heavier than plutonium, each one is more minimal than the last and there's hardly a percussive sound on it.

My Mum tells me she used to leave the hoover on next to my cot and I'd nod off double quick. Wonder if this is related in anyway to me being into this sort of thing...?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

natty wrote:Earth 2 (special low frequency edition) is fantastic. "Seven Angels" is maybe the heaviest thing I've ever heard. The first time I played it my Dad came upstairs and yelled at me "It sounds like there's a bloody aeroplane landing in your room. Turn it down. Or off!!!" 3 tracks over 74 minutes or so, all heavier than plutonium, each one is more minimal than the last and there's hardly a percussive sound on it.

My Mum tells me she used to leave the hoover on next to my cot and I'd nod off double quick. Wonder if this is related in anyway to me being into this sort of thing...?
Had to get it - a free SubPop cassette with Lime Lizard magazine... had all the post-grunge folky stuff on one side... then this Noise on the other.

Parents are great... I was playing Mudhoney once years ago, I was decorating my room, and they were decorating the landing... and between songs, they made some comment about 'not liking the Rolling Stones'... (reminds me of when Mr Burns sees the Ramones.. 'have the Rolling Stones killed' 'but sir...' 'Do it!')
Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin' goodbuzzin' cooltalkin'
highwalkin' fastlivin' evergivin' self aggrandizin' willthisdo?
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

[quote="will this do?"]
Had to get it - a free SubPop cassette with Lime Lizard magazine... had all the post-grunge folky stuff on one side... then this Noise on the other.

quote]

I remember that. It had "Seven Angels" on it. It's what made me buy "Earth 2" as well.
sonic boom
Known user

Re: Taking Drugs to Make Music to take Naps to.

Post by sonic boom »

clewsr wrote:[ok, this is another one of those posts where I gibber about my baby daughter. - If you aint interested, look away now]

So, was having a nice lazy weekend, playing some guitar and some records, and then pulled out my vinyl copy of Taking Drugs to... and put it on. Ella, who had decided she was either hungry or in a bad mood immediately shut up, her eyes lolled, and she was asleep by track 2.

Intrigued I tried the next day with the CD. During the relatively lively Sound of Confusion she managed to retain consciousness, but by halfway through 2.35 she was gone.

3 times this has now worked consistently. I'm amazed. So forget all your lullaby cd's, fun though they are, just chuck on a CD of the Spacemen for a happy contented baby.

You heard it here first. :shock:

its funny . a few people said similar stuff.
a friend who worked in a creche used Soul Kiss to put the babies to sleep at nap-time . they used it for a week .decided to change it & then none of the kids would sleep.
working on long drone pieces in the studio is funny .
sometimes you'd come to the end of a 17 minute playback , woken by the tape spinning off the reels , to find everyone had fallen asleep . more times and even at earlier times in the day (?)than you would expect .
pk
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

its great. I've been allowed to have this album on bedtime rotation for a whole week now. I'll rotate it to another spacemen cd next week. I can imagine Soul Kiss working well, - thats what surprised me about Taking Drugs... its a relatively dirty, noisy sounding album 8) , not one I would thought to have chosen for her as a going to sleep cd.

Post by Guest »

rich.

i reckon lgm is the best album to send anyone (30 year old men included) to sleep. though the red jetson one might be good, and i keep promising to copy it(i will, i will, i will, i will copy it) i'll do it this weekend (i must, i must etc).
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

is that you Black? Of course LGM is the obvious choice for listening to sleep. I can't count the number of times it has eased the path to slumber. When the party finaly ends and you are still wired as hell, well there was only ever 2 choices for me; lgm or recurring. Particularly usefull when still living with parents, after a hectic night at Crazy Daises [a club that thought it was more proper than what it was, just outside rugby] where my formative drug use took place, LGM on headphones when i got home was the only way to be awake yet silent. Likewise on overnight trains in thailand after too much sang tip. anytime when you need to soothe your troubled head.

I suppose LGM is the closest thing i have to a musical security blanket :lol:
clewsr
Known user

Re: Taking Drugs to Make Music to take Naps to.

Post by clewsr »

sonic boom wrote:working on long drone pieces in the studio is funny .
sometimes you'd come to the end of a 17 minute playback , woken by the tape spinning off the reels , to find everyone had fallen asleep . more times and even at earlier times in the day (?)than you would expect .
pk
btw. This sounds like so much fun.

'''''''''''''''''''''
i wanna be a drummer in a drone rock band
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

These days I think Soul Kiss is one of the most blissful albums ever. I remember the first time I put it on to sleep to though, and I woke up halfway through Phase Me Out (Gently) and it scared the living crap out of me. I could hardly listen to that track for ages afterwards. I mean like a good year or so. Thankfully I got over it and I now rate that LP higher than anything by SP3 except The Perfect Prescription and Playing with Fire (demoes and outtakes and oddments excluded). The only thing SPZ have done that can touch it is Lazer Guided Melodies.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

clewsr wrote:is that you Black? Of course LGM is the obvious choice for listening to sleep. I can't count the number of times it has eased the path to slumber. When the party finaly ends and you are still wired as hell, well there was only ever 2 choices for me; lgm or recurring. Particularly usefull when still living with parents, after a hectic night at Crazy Daises [a club that thought it was more proper than what it was, just outside rugby] where my formative drug use took place, LGM on headphones when i got home was the only way to be awake yet silent. Likewise on overnight trains in thailand after too much sang tip. anytime when you need to soothe your troubled head.

indeed, it was me (curse this pesky log in).

i work maybe 4 miles from crazy daisies, though it is no longer crazydaisies.....its now a thai restaurant i think.
AMEN

Post by AMEN »

clewsr wrote:.... anytime when you need to soothe your troubled head.
I suppose LGM is the closest thing i have to a musical security blanket
IT HAS SAVED ME MANY TIMES!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

clewsr wrote:is that you Black? Of course LGM is the obvious choice for listening to sleep. I can't count the number of times it has eased the path to slumber. When the party finaly ends and you are still wired as hell, well there was only ever 2 choices for me; lgm or recurring. Particularly usefull when still living with parents, after a hectic night at Crazy Daises [a club that thought it was more proper than what it was, just outside rugby] where my formative drug use took place, LGM on headphones when i got home was the only way to be awake yet silent. Likewise on overnight trains in thailand after too much sang tip. anytime when you need to soothe your troubled head.

I'd completely forgotten about Crazy Daisies. It did think it was more proper than what it was. And I wish they still made SangThip. That stuff was fucking mental.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i wonder if it effects the dreams?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Sleep discs of choice:

o Pure Phase (with Electric Phase programmed out of the playlist)
o Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See / Among My Swan
o Heligoland - Shift These Thoughts (*plug plug plug*)
o The Fakes - Storm In A Teacup
o GYBE - Lift Your Skinny Fists
o Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works vol 1
o Mozart - Symphony no.40/41

I was seeing a girl for a while who had a son who was a hyperactive little 5yo monster who had an awful lot of trouble getting to sleep of a night. She used to put Claire de Lune (Debussy) on repeat in his room, which did the job very nicely. Only problem was you could hear it from the next room, and I was usually out like a light well before he was...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

listened to ladies.... as i drifted off last night and had one of the most relaxing sleeps ever. it's official, spiritualized should be prescribed to all insomniacs
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Agree with the Soul Kiss remedy.
Also think side 2 of Sonic Boom - Spectrum, If I Should Die sounds like you have crossed to the subconsciousness when listening to it . I never, ever get tired of listening to that album and I must have played it at least once a week for the past 15 years!

David Sylvian - Gone To Earth
Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
Spacemen 3 - Dreamweapon
Boards Of Canada - Twoism

Anyone remember the Shamen? Different Drum? I think a couple of the tracks on there with Terence McKenna doing the vocal were really dreamy.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Forgot to mention "Chill Out" by the KLF. Go get it.
Flathaddock
Known user

Post by Flathaddock »

Although my point does not involve the sleep inducement of young children, I am a school teacher of young children and have found that using Ecstasy Symphony and many Spiritualized drones, tones and reverberations has made our dance/relaxation lessons slightly ,more interesting. Some kids (aged 5) think that ecstasy in slow motion is the kind of music that they think about cinderella to. Not sure about that but he fact is when I play dream and drone music to the kids they remember more from the lessons that when they hear pop music with other teachers.
Flathaddock
Known user

Post by Flathaddock »

fgsrdsrfd
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Flathaddock wrote: Some kids (aged 5) think that ecstasy in slow motion is the kind of music that they think about cinderella to. .
you mean it isn't?????
Flathaddock
Known user

Post by Flathaddock »

bunnyben wrote:
Flathaddock wrote: Some kids (aged 5) think that ecstasy in slow motion is the kind of music that they think about cinderella to. .
you mean it isn't?????
Nope, Red Riding Hood all the way and that cheeky Wolf.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Flathaddock wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
you mean it isn't?????
Nope, Red Riding Hood all the way and that cheeky Wolf.
praise the lord, i have seen the light!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

went to sleep last night listening to earth 2 by earth. what a thrilling album
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

bunnyben wrote:went to sleep last night listening to earth 2 by earth. what a thrilling album
Really? I bashed the Bishop till my arm hurt.Works for me.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i'm not really an chess man, i prefer monopoly, with the dog and that...
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

Anonymous wrote: Earth 2 (Special Low frequency edition) album, by the excellent band Earth. You probably can't get it anymore.
Ho!

On another fine forum a sad boy just started a thread entitled "recommend me some beautiful music." At the end of a list of music that anyone would find suitably sad and beautiful, a man who recently lost a friend in Chicago wrote Earth 2.

salut.

ps. you can get anything if you look for it
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

[quote

ps. you can get anything if you look for it[/quote]

with ebay!
Chapter Two
Known user

Post by Chapter Two »

Well, Hell, yeah... they go for a lot of money though, copies of Earth 2. Everything Earth have done has been in special limited versions, different sleeves, colour vinyl, etc. A few months back a fella sold me a copy of the gold split 12" that Earth did with Sunn o)) for their European tour earlier this year. When I asked him if he knew how much they were going for on Ebay - five times as much as he charged me - he said that he didn't believe in all that shit and would rather sell it for a reasonable price to someone who actually liked the music. This is the sort of thing there should be more of, in my opinion.

To be honest, the track on that single, A Plague of Angels, and their last album, Hex: or Printing in the Infernal Method have been played a hell of a lot around here. A far cry from Earth 2 though, although there are that many Earth imitators these days, there's no need. Definitely drifting off music... powerful stuff.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Chapter Two wrote:Well, Hell, yeah... they go for a lot of money though, copies of Earth 2. Everything Earth have done has been in special limited versions, different sleeves, colour vinyl, etc. A few months back a fella sold me a copy of the gold split 12" that Earth did with Sunn o)) for their European tour earlier this year. When I asked him if he knew how much they were going for on Ebay - five times as much as he charged me - he said that he didn't believe in all that shit and would rather sell it for a reasonable price to someone who actually liked the music. This is the sort of thing there should be more of, in my opinion.

To be honest, the track on that single, A Plague of Angels, and their last album, Hex: or Printing in the Infernal Method have been played a hell of a lot around here. A far cry from Earth 2 though, although there are that many Earth imitators these days, there's no need. Definitely drifting off music... powerful stuff.
to be honest i downloaded it from soulseek (the irony of the name is not lost). i went to sleep listening to a classic compilation that i compiled, beautiful stuff!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

<Advert>

I should add to this thread the fact that the hands down best childrens CD I've found is Ansty Cowfold. I bought it thanks to a recomendation here, (was it WTD? ), and have since bought two more copies for other friends who've had babies. It has soothing tunes you can enjoy as well as the nipper. Great present. Buy it direct from them. they're very nice people.

http://www.anstycowfold.com/index2.htm

Perhaps bundle it up with Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take drugs to for the complete set.

</Advert>
duppyconquerer
Known user

Post by duppyconquerer »

clewsr wrote:<Advert>

I should add to this thread the fact that the hands down best childrens CD I've found is Ansty Cowfold. I bought it thanks to a recomendation here, (was it WTD? )
How dare you! That was my recommendation!

On a similar note I'd also like to recommend a new compilation called 'Fuzzy Felt Folk' on the Trunk label.

If, like me, you ever had those strange motion-dance-PE classes when you were a nipper you'll find this a real gem. :wink:

Peggy Zetlin's Spin Spider Spin is simply the best childrens song ever.

Imagine me, aged four, in my kit and plimsols shocking out to stuff like this!

I'll put it up tonight on the song of the day. Before bed time.
"I may flake out tonight if I cannot get my way"
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

my humble apologies duppy. I remember now, it was WTD that introduced me to Nippaz With Attitude.

I'm very excited to hear Spin Spider Spin. Bring it on.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

working on long drone pieces in the studio is funny .
pk
That's funny! Just as long as you didn't fall asleep while playing, Sonic! :D
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz rated
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

...you probably can't get it any more...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earth-Vol-2/dp/B0000035FJ
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM