It's Alright

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

unkle_karl
Known user

It's Alright

Post by unkle_karl »

A quick question that's been bugging me for a while. On 'Taking Drugs To Make Music.....' there's a song called 'It's Alright', recorded at a rehearsal I think. This is one of my favourite Sp3 songs (even in this primitive form!). Apparently it's by Bo Diddley, but I've never found the original. Is there actually a Bo Diddley song called 'It's Alright', or is it based on another? Also has anyone heard Sonic's version of this song, released sometime in the 90's? Thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

sonic boom's version is bouncier and cleaner-sounding than spacemen's almost military take. it's practically GLOSSY in comparison. the song's definitely credited to bo diddley, but i dont know where his recording can be found (sonic's is easily had on the "what came before after" comp). there's a bo diddley song called "she's alright"..is this the same song?
drone in

Post by drone in »

the stones did a version

i have a version of it's alright live by the stones somewhere upstairs in me cd collection

paul
Ian

Post by Ian »

The Diddley song (covered by the Stones on Out Of Our Heads) is called I'm Alright. Don't know why the Spacemen tweaked the title, but I suspect that's what's causing the confusion.

Love,

Ian
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I have Bo's original somewhere, it's nothing really special.
Guest3

bizarre

Post by Guest3 »

i was just going to ask that myself, i know the stones did it a few times (''got live if you want it'' and at quite a few gigs in 65/66), but i couldnt find the bo diddley original, i think its been mixed up and messed around with and has changed quite a bit from the original recording obviously
Guest3

roots

Post by Guest3 »

i should add, its also derived from the often played

''shout n shimmy'' (as played by the who etc.)

''shout'' by lulu

''talkin bout you'' the animals

all share the same chord/structure essentially