Feb 16th release date for the book?

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Jebus Sabes
Known user

Feb 16th release date for the book?

Post by Jebus Sabes »

The upcoming Spacemen 3 book is mentioned in a thread below, but did people know its currently listed as a Feb 16th release date - ie next week. Let's hope it's not delayed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 40-8144446
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My info is that there are some last minute pieces Erik wants to include so that date seems premature. It should be worth waiting for.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

runcible wrote: My info is that there are some last minute pieces Erik wants to include so that date seems premature.
So it will be even more than 168 pages?

I will vote for the unlimited 1168 pages version.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

a pierce contribution??
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Went to the bookshop this afternoon to find out that the book is delayed until 31st of march
"Thank you"

Post by Guest »

hope it's got a crossword in it
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

hmm. Not sure whats happening...Amazon says it is now released [on the 16the Feb] but are also saying despatch time might be 4-6 weeks, and have put on a hard to find surcharge of about £1 on the price. [I suppose it will be hard to find if its not released for another 6 weeks! ].

Shame, I'd been looking forward to it.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Shit cover.
fonadi
Known user

Post by fonadi »

ummm, could that be a little bit of resentment natty? (although, another bad pic of jason is never pretty, something else could have been uesd). although, getting Sonic and jason in the same room for a cover shot would have been nice.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

what's to resent?? i don't know natty or jason but i know it is a shit cover. a better cover would be the title done in a playing with fire circular stylee.

i'm hoping the delay means a last minute pierce interview or contribution. we're here cause we love the music that jason has made over the years. presumably we'd also love to hear his views in the book as much as peter's or anyone elses.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Resentment? Moi? Hell no!

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded having a crack at 'Spacemen 3 - The Book' someday, as I reckon a few of us might have, but I doubt I'd have ever got round to it. Or done a particularly good job. I'm sure not resentful of Erik. I can't wait for it to come out.

But it is a shit cover. There was more than one guy in Spacemen 3. And it's a crappy picture of Jason at that!
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

i could be wrong, but i think someone thought you were THE natty, not just a natty.
they probably thought you were pissed cause you weren't on the cover, not because someone else wrote it.

course, if you are the natty then i give up trying to be helpful...

i don't understand the cover myself. people have mentioned that jason has no input whatsoever, so what is the purpose of only having a picture of him on the cover?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The picture shown on Amazon for the cover is awful but I don't believe it was ever intended by the author for the finished product to look like this. It's obviously been chosen with the word 'sales' in mind: put Jason on the cover and try and persuade Spiritualized fans that the book is centred around the guy. Either use both Pete and Jason or use neither.

I know for a fact that Jason hasn't offered any assistance and at the same time has told people he hasn't been approached (which he most certainly has) for any input. I guess it gives him the opportunity to deny everything in the book in the same way he did with Outer Limits. I also know he isn't perticularly against the idea of the project - he just won't give anyone any help with anything ever despite occasionally promising otherwise. But don't get me started on this...

Last I heard the book is meant to be a good deal longer than 168 pages. I hope so. Erik has worked very hard on this and has got the views of just about everyone involved, except for you-know-who of course...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

runcible wrote:I guess it gives him the opportunity to deny everything in the book in the same way he did with Outer Limits.
Whats this Outer Limits then? I've heard it mentioned a couple of times, - if there's a story behind this, then please tell all. ta.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Outer Limits was a Spacemen 3 + related bands fanzine, that ran for two issues. Sonic contributed loads, Jason nothing beyond a letter in the first issue declining to take part. The letter implied that Outer Limits was more pro-Sonic, based on the first issue's contents. Well, duh! If Jason didn't want to be involved and Sonic did, it's going to include more Sonic content... And it's not like it took sides, either.

Sonic's side of the Spacemen 3 story is fascinating, and the fanzines are a good read (especially issue two). Inevitably, his recolections are just that - his own. I'm sure Jason would put a different spin on a lot of things, no less valid that Sonic's. I just wish he would!

Love,

Ian

Post by Guest »

Can only agree. I can't see why anyone would not want to contribute. Especially if they felt they had a different point of view to other contributors.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Cheers, Ian, I bet those fanzines are hard to find, - bet they go for a fair bit on ebay, - if they ever appear, that is.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Sonic even makes it clear in Outer Limits that what he says isn't fact per se, just the way he remembers things, and that he's sure other members of the band would remember things differently.

It's always confused me a bit how Jason always says things like 'Spacemen 3 was in the past, to discuss it would only maintain some futile link to Sonic Boom' or whatever it was he said in his 'Outer Limits' letter, yet still calls himself J. Spaceman and butchers his SP3 classics on Spiritualized albums. Odd.

I'm not Natty Brooker, by the way.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

what!?!?!?!?!? butchers, thats it natty, now your buying the drinks punk!

xxxshonnxxx

Post by Guest »

OK, OK, so 'All of My Tears' isn't strictly a butchery, but 'So Hot' was one of my favourite SP3 songs, but 'Lord, Can You Hear Me?' Come ON!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Anonymous wrote:OK, OK, so 'All of My Tears' isn't strictly a butchery, but 'So Hot' was one of my favourite SP3 songs, but 'Lord, Can You Hear Me?' Come ON!
I wrote this, forgot to log in. :roll:
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

Anonymous wrote:OK, OK, so 'All of My Tears' isn't strictly a butchery, but 'So Hot' was one of my favourite SP3 songs, but 'Lord, Can You Hear Me?' Come ON!
I thought 'Lord, Can You Hear Me?' sounded great on LICD, I'm with you on 'So Hot' though, spz version sounds shit live. when did S3 do 'All of My Tears'??
"Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going and don't slow down ... lets have a little fun ..."
- Hunter S Thompson
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

runcible wrote:The picture shown on Amazon for the cover is awful but I don't believe it was ever intended by the author for the finished product to look like this. It's obviously been chosen with the word 'sales' in mind: put Jason on the cover and try and persuade Spiritualized fans that the book is centred around the guy. Either use both Pete and Jason or use neither.
I wonder how many casual buyers it would attract if it was just his mug on the cover? ......me thinks not very many. :)

I agree with natty, something like a more psychedelic take on the Playing With Fire sleeve and a big fuck off S3 logo! i'm sure that would attract a few noobs.
"Hot damn! Let us rumble, keep going and don't slow down ... lets have a little fun ..."
- Hunter S Thompson
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

mbv wrote:
I thought 'Lord, Can You Hear Me?' sounded great on LICD, I'm with you on 'So Hot' though, spz version sounds shit live. when did S3 do 'All of My Tears'??
The Spiritualized reworking of 'So Hot' is titled 'All of My Tears'.
Da Doo Ron Don

Post by Da Doo Ron Don »

Anyone who subscribed to Outer Limits can e-mail the publisher on
ahimsa@ntlworld.com
(they know who subscribed) and claim a free copy of the "Ahimsa" LP
which was due to go out with the final (unreleased) double issue 3 & 4.

Incidentally a four issue subscription to Outer Limits was £10.
The last copies sold on eBay went for over £28 each!

Post by Guest »

The e-mail address is NOT as stated in the above post it is

ahimsa33rpm@ntlworld.com
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Eric says the book is now over 300 pages.
mbv
Known user

Post by mbv »

when is it coming out again?
- Hunter S Thompson
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

are we still on for the 32st of March as a release date?

Post by Guest »

clewsr wrote:are we still on for the 32st of March as a release date?
We'll be waiting a while then, preusmably...? :P
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

good grief. What a typo. :shock:

It seems its definately not due for release today. no emails from amazon, and they haven't updated the info on the book. This is getting like a traditional spiritualized release, very apt.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

This pdf listing from Macmillan Australia has it listed for May 2004:

http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/resources/2004-05-IN.pdf