fun with the recurring demos

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

SpaceLine
Known user

fun with the recurring demos

Post by SpaceLine »

i recently attempted to cleanup the recurring demos cd, tried to remove some of the tape hiss. i put up 2 copies of These Blues on:
http://www.cynicsonline.com/mp3/

if anyone cares to compare the 2 files, i'd be curious to know what you think. my concern with removing any tape hiss is that i would also remove some of the actual music. i can't seem to hear anything missing, but i've played this song so much while doing this i'm not a good judge anymore. thanks.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I have had a copy of the hissy version for many years and have longed for a true recoding. Yours is a valiant effort Mr S, but sadly I have to cristicise, despite the fact that the amount of favours I owe you is getting silly. The unhissy version is like playing the original with a Dolby E button pressed as it cuts out the sharp focus of Jason's 's' pronounciation as well as adding a slightly unhealthy warble in the overall sound. You can hear the full charm on the hissy version layered under the hiss, but this is lacking on your revamped version.

What the cleaned up version still holds is the fact that this is one of Jason's most outstanding songs - utterly sublime in every way and encapsulating that perfect Spacemen 3/Spiritualized crossover. The day the Recurring demos are relased will be welcomed by many.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

thanks for the input, that was what i was afraid of. i noticed the warble myself but i wasn't sure if that was because of the hiss removal, the mp3 encoding or just that i don't notice it on the original because it's so hissy. and i welcome the criticism, that's why i posted them - i knew a bit of the high end was chopped off but i wanted to see if anyone noticed/cared.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Did you really have to mutilate the volume of the song so that it's no use to people who don't have a copy?
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

i put up 2 copies, one is the 'unmutilated' copy so people could compare them if they so chose - hence the title THESE BLUES ORIGINAL.

mh
Known user

Post by mh »

"Volume" it was I said...

Your "Original" has a maximum volume level of 0.1267, which is kinda one eighth of normal.

Another forum I frequent is full of complaints about traders deliberately mutilating stuff to "keep it rare". I'm not making any specific allegation here, but, y'know...
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

so increase it if you must. i didn't touch the volume, i ripped the wav from my cdr copy and made an mp3 out of that.

if you even harbor the faintest, foggiest notion in your head that i would take the time and effort to decrease the quality of a song in order to keep others from being able to hear it you need to back right off. really, use some common sense - why would i even post it in the first place? "na-na-na, i've got it and you don't?" i'm not five. thanks for starting my day off so well.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

yeah, MH you're way off the mark there, From my experience Spaceline is a very generous trader and has probably made more stuff available than anyone else around these parts.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

what are you lot going on about :?: :?: :?:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm slightly astonished that Spaceline could come in for criticism. mh - what is your problem here? The original These Blues has not been released. It is a limited edition of zero. It doesn't exist in the real world. The only copies are those kindly circulated by Spaceline and occasional others. Every fan has been searching for an unhissy copy of this, so Spaceline tried his best and you actually criticise him for this? Christ. I've had a copy for over ten years and its the same as the hiss-laden version he posted. Anyone trying to make it better deserves some applause.

I suspect you need to take another look at your attitude. In my experience Spaceline has been more than generous in his outlook on music in general. Something you could learn from.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

how might one obtain a lossless copy of these demos?

ddk
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

are you going to put the whole thing up? or can i get a cd from you?