Sonic update

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Jebus Sabes
Known user

Sonic update

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Sonic Boom has updated his website, with news and views on the forthcoming Sp3 book, the Spacelines compilation, stereolab, brian wilson, guitar pedals etc.

http://www.sonic-boom.info/news.php
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

the :) part of that Brian Wilson concert is :o - ingly good :!:
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

YEah...

"Brian Wilson Concert last night...Smile is one of my favourite Beach Boys Albums" yeah, cos the point about Smile, right, is no-one's actually HEARD IT...cos they never finished it...cos the concert you were at, right, was the first time ANYONES HEARD IT...(or am I wrong...did I miss the point?)

And fancy all those OLD people daring to enjoy it? Honestly, they should have had a special preview concerts so that the real fans, the ones who can hear records that DON'T EXIST can appreciate it in comfort...perhaps in an anechoic chamber, in complete darkness.
mazza
Known user

Post by mazza »

will this do? wrote:YEah...

"Brian Wilson Concert last night...Smile is one of my favourite Beach Boys Albums" yeah, cos the point about Smile, right, is no-one's actually HEARD IT...cos they never finished it...cos the concert you were at, right, was the first time ANYONES HEARD IT...(or am I wrong...did I miss the point?)

And fancy all those OLD people daring to enjoy it? Honestly, they should have had a special preview concerts so that the real fans, the ones who can hear records that DON'T EXIST can appreciate it in comfort...perhaps in an anechoic chamber, in complete darkness.
:lol: you've got all the best ideas, will this do?
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

well a handful of the songs have been available in other versions since 1967 (smiley smile) adn there´s been bootlegs (my dad had one).

but if sonic means that people shouldn´t be allowed to clap their hands then he´s just.. silly
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I've had a copy of Smile for about 10 years. OK its not what would have been released but its as close as it got. And its pretty damn good too. So, yeah, I think you have missed some of the point. Tapes have been circling for donkeys years.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

the version available on the smile shop site (''completed" by a group of smile experts) about 5 years ago was quite nice.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

runcible wrote:I've had a copy of Smile for about 10 years. OK its not what would have been released but its as close as it got. And its pretty damn good too. So, yeah, I think you have missed some of the point. Tapes have been circling for donkeys years.

I knew all that...Surf's up is another rich source of Smile stuff...just wonder how close all your expert compilations are to the real thing (or even the performance of it at the RFH, which seems to have become the de facto real thing...). I thought that Van Dyke Parks rehired (whatever)to complete it with him, which led me to beleive thatt any bootleg versions available hitherto would have been lacking somewhat.
bachwards
New user

Post by bachwards »

My understanding is that Parks wrotes some new lyrics in some of the songs (Holiday, DaDa, maybe a few more), but it seems that most of the music was already known. The Good Vibrations boxset had a wealth of material, and other parts of the sessions have surfaced on various bootlegs.

I read that Jason was at one of the RFH concerts too, and said that it was like being on every drug he's ever done.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Fresh update has some very interesting notes:

http://www.sonic-boom.info/news.php