My favourite part of Jason's BBC6 interview...

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Ian

My favourite part of Jason's BBC6 interview...

Post by Ian »

...was when he said that Spiritualized was a more "customs friendly" name for a band than Spacemen 3.

Love,

Ian
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I haven't heard this yet, - was there any talk of future plans? Anything to wet the appetite?
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

clewsr wrote:I haven't heard this yet, - was there any talk of future plans? Anything to wet the appetite?
You won't believe me - but I am sorry to be such a pedant: one's appetite would be "whetted" by such information. What you've written is as meaningless as "waiting with baited breath, for one fowl (or foul for that matter) swoop for someone to make a mute point".

AAARRRHHRRRRRHHHH!
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i thought the funny bit was were he pointed out that he didnt form spiritualized and that in fact the others formed a band and dragged him with them......

he still neglected to pay them any money for the priviledge though

also he claimed to have paid for the recording, mastering and mixing ofanyway himself, but the spacemen were already signed to dedicated and jason just took over the deal and kept gerald palmer initially as well, so why would he go and pay to record something himself when he was already signed?

theres also a melody maker interview in which jason announced that although sonic had left the spacemen, this didnt mean the end of the band, and that it would continue without him (although at that point spiritualized was spacemen 3 + dj sulkykid, sorry steve evans).
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

andyblacktoo wrote:.....he still neglected to pay them any money for the priviledge though
Is that right...nothing? More fool them, I'd say, if you meant what you said, and if it's true. Perhaps that's what he meant in MY fave bit of the inerview where he talked about an eventual dawning realisation that it was a music business (especially vis a vis Top of the Pops).

And that would be privilege.
It's all happening!
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i think several people could be here for hours detailing the problems over paying money to spiritualized ex members.

basically, they all got paid a minimal salary to appear in the band and have no rights and receive no royalties from album sales, single sales or radio play.....jason takes the lot, so of all the people who played on the complete works volume one, the only person who gets paid apart from jason was mark refoy for his co-authorship of sway...mattock, cook, refoy, carruthers etc....get nothing, and have got nothing from ladies and gents,. pure phase etc....
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I read this all the time, about how jason rips these people off, etc. I guess I just don't see it. they play on his compositions as far as i know, they do not write the music.
i'm sure everyone who is no longer on the gravy train has a gripe they feel is legitimate, but i take them all with a grain of salt as it's only 1 side of a story from a broken relationship. if they have any legitimate legal claims then they should take it to court, otherwise it's just sour grapes...

Post by Guest »

Yeah... and if you weren't there then its just fucking GOSSIP.

So you get paid 12 grand ( & 'bonuses') for being in Spiritualized....

PAID to travel the world. PAID to play mad space rock... all the time!

I get paid 10 grand to do a shitty, soul destroying job (and thus condemned to work on my music only when I can... as opposed to all the time....which would be great.)

Now which would I rather do?

ALSO... I think the other band (ex) members forfeited everything the moment they bitched to the press about J and .... his private life. Nice one guys.

Now why would you even bother with royalties (and for exactly what? BEING there when a song was written???) for people who can do that?

WONDER which oppertunistic mother took the cash for the tabloid expose of J / A****oft / Radley love triangle....

Is the forthcoming book gonna be page after page of ex-members of Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 moaning about wages???

Fuck I hope not, but I imagine it'll constitute a fair part of this. Maybe thats why J got the hell out of it...

Funny we always hear the bad shit about J... maybe we should listen to Thighpaulsandra, or the boys from Primal Scream, or maybe Andrew Wetherall. Would they all want J to be destroyed??

And theres always SHJ... Coxon's been around for a while... and he can afford them fancy sunglasses...
will
New user

Post by will »

reading this board is like bobbing for apples in a bucket of monkey spew .
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Mr. Carruthers whats Your kick about "Dreamweapon" book? for real.

Have You read it??

... comfortably numb 8)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Anonymous wrote:Yeah... and if you weren't there then its just fucking GOSSIP.

So you get paid 12 grand ( & 'bonuses') for being in Spiritualized....

PAID to travel the world. PAID to play mad space rock... all the time!

I get paid 10 grand to do a shitty, soul destroying job (and thus condemned to work on my music only when I can... as opposed to all the time....which would be great.)

Now which would I rather do?
Hello Mr Anonymous. I'm very sorry you have a shitty job that you hate. But this doesn't imply that people who happen to play instruments in a space rock band should therefore put up with any crap thrown their way, any more than it implies that *everyone* with a job in the UK should put up with crap working conditions or low pay simply because there is someone dying through lack of food somewhere in Africa.
Anonymous wrote:Now why would you even bother with royalties (and for exactly what? BEING there when a song was written???) for people who can do that?
No ex band member I'm aware of is asking for publishing/songwriting royalties. Jason's name is on the credits - there is nothing to claim for. But everyone who plays on a record as part of a band (as opposed to being a session musician) should be entitled to residuals. As recently as the interview this thread is about, he was at pains to point out how he didn't take the credit for the way the music turned out, how it was always such a colaboration and how important everyone else in the band was. I think it fair so say that many of his collaborators would like a little more than lip service paid to their contributions.
WONDER which oppertunistic mother took the cash for the tabloid expose of J / A****oft / Radley love triangle....
Even if someone did - and I don't know what evidence there is that it was a band member - that's just one person. It doesn't invalidate the gievances that other band members may have.
Funny we always hear the bad shit about J... maybe we should listen to Thighpaulsandra, or the boys from Primal Scream, or maybe Andrew Wetherall. Would they all want J to be destroyed??
We don't have the full story, and probably never will. Jason's always going to have a portion of my respect for creating some of my favourite music. But even on what we do know, there's enough to indicate that he's not the sort of employer that most of us would choose.

Love,

Ian
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

andyblacktoo wrote:theres also a melody maker interview in which jason announced that although sonic had left the spacemen, this didnt mean the end of the band
Thing is... it was the spacemen that left sonic. I felt quite sorry for him at the time.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

will wrote:reading this board is like bobbing for apples in a bucket of monkey spew .
Interesting simile - you mean it is someting you wouldn't do if you had a choice...hmmm choice.

Always nice to hear from (one of the many) Pete Bests of the East Midland Drug Music scene.
It's all happening!
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

I don´t agree that will is a "pete best".
I think he had the most interesting bass lines in the history of Spiritualized!
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

Pete Best??? Will is as good as Ringo and he reads Thomas The Tank Engine well!

Mr Sly - I suppose Will only knows how he was treated. Give his lp a try and you'll hear some cool tunes, download his newer mp3's and marvel at his humour!

Post by Guest »

sly saxon wrote:
will wrote:reading this board is like bobbing for apples in a bucket of monkey spew .
Interesting simile - you mean it is someting you wouldn't do if you had a choice...hmmm choice.

Always nice to hear from (one of the many) Pete Bests of the East Midland Drug Music scene.
hahahahah,

difference being pete best was sacked for not being good enough......will wasnt sacked.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

[quote="Anonymous"]
quote]

It's not like it was a huge secret seeing as Kate was part of Verve's entourage on the Northern Soul tour.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

No it was no secret.

I was on tour with THE VERVE at this time and I saw ASHCROFT and RADLEY make out in front of my eyes backstage...

Had some great drink ups and spliff ups with those fuckers...

KATE was rather HOT!

Never said too much.

I've penned a catchy ditty called "DEAR KATE" which addresses this time.

One day some of you will hear it.

Till then put on "ELECTRICITY" and fook off...

I was there you CLOWNS!

But yes SPZ...you are right!

ASHCROFT made sure we could see KATE was his bird.

My favorite part of JASON's interview is when he discusses his love for DETROIT and his choice of SOLEDAD BROTHERS as openers...JACK WHITE CLONES...and boyfriend of MEG WHITE!

but i guess JASON don't like WHITE STRIPES...

some of you people are fucking idiots.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Surely you wanker have a poster of Kate on your toilet door.
and your handjob is THE best on this forsaken planet.

we "the idiots" enjoy Electricity as much as Ashcrücht.......

come on, bark some more. YOU can do it. YOU did it.

shame on us, that we waste on time for messageboards, right Muscles?

get a life. get mine. get hers.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Anonymous wrote:
sly saxon wrote:

hahahahah,

difference being pete best was sacked for not being good enough......will wasnt sacked.
THAT'S RIGHT...and he wasn't the drummer, either was he?

What I meant to allude to was (what I perceive to be) an overlong held grudge, held if not by him, then by his apologists on his behalf.

Quote me again, this is fun.

I want to be MUSCLES

Whoever he IS maybe BY typing random WORDS

in capitals

and PRESSING return

often, people will

get angry with

me FOR my opinions

POOP poop!
steven
Known user

Post by steven »

Hey it's worked-I'm so angry I've gone blind.

I'VE

GONE

BLIND!

YOU

FUCKERS!!!

:shock:

Post by Guest »

muscles???

look up the band ps i love you on rocketgirl records