Darkside

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Neil
Known user

Darkside

Post by Neil »

Hi,

Does anyone have a link to a Darkside discography?
As I picked up a Darkside 7" on Munster which I had never heard of before.

Cheers
Neil
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

there used to be a nice darkside/alphastone discography on the no-fi site, but that appears to be dead these days. off the top of my head, i think this is a fairly complete list. can anyone confirm that the cd version of "waiting for the angels" exists?
---ALBUMS---
all that noise (cd/lp)
psychedelicize suburbia (lp only)
melomania (cd/lp)
---EPS---
highrise love (12")
waiting for the angels (12"/cd)
always pleasure (12")
mayhem to meditate (12"/cd)
---7"---
jukebox at munsters
lunar surf
Ian

Post by Ian »

JL wrote:can anyone confirm that the cd version of "waiting for the angels" exists?
It does - I've got one.

Love,

Ian
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Here's a blast from the past, courtesy of the Internet Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/199812050907 ... -disc.html
Neil
Known user

Post by Neil »

Cheers for the link and info
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

i came across a listing online for a "guitar voodoo" canadian-only 5-song EP...has anyone ever heard of this?
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

JL - You mention Alphastone above, can you tell me anything about them, I recently got a CD called Enraptured which has a great track by them on it (amongst others such as Silver Apples, Windy and Carl, AMP, Hood, Saddar Bazaar, Mountain Vernon Arts Club), woul definately like to hear more by them, is there a S3 / Spiritualized / Darkside connection ?, many thanks in advance :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Other folks here will be able to fill you in better, but Alphastone was Pete Bassman's band after The Darkside... fabulous band.. some great albums particularly their last one, "Life's A Motorway"

Think there was 4 albums of theirs out (certainly all i've got!):

Soulweed
Stereophonic Pop Art Music
Elasticated Waveband
Life's A Motorway

Well worth checking out...
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

Cheers for that, I'll certainly check them out :D :D

Has anybody ever produced a kind of 'family tree' of S3 / Spiritualized, would make for interesting reading, I guess there is probably other bands fans might have missed out on ?
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

i'd proceed with a little caution when shelling out money for alphastone. while they did get their act together somewhat by "motorway" (and the track on the enraptured comp is also quite nice -- though i consider it uncharacteristic of their sound), the early stuff can be grating. the debut, for example, relies too much on kinda cheesy, dance-y beats and weak songwriting that can't sustain the overly-long songs. just my opinion, though i'll admit i haven't played the damn things in a while.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

quickly and off the very top of my head, a cursory list/tree....
these bands should cover the "main players":
-S3
-Spiritualized
-Spectrum/Sonic Boom
-EAR
-Darkside
-Alphastone
-Ubik/Sterling Roswell
-Will Carruthers
then you start branching off a little bit and get into these (i know there are more):
-Lupine Howl
-Slipstream
-Triumph 2000 (richard formby has been involved in all sorts of stuff as producer and player)
and sonic boom shows up all over the place as well, usually as a remixer, including but certainly not limited to:
-shallow
-iqu
-yo la tengo
-dean and britta
-stereolab
paul messis

Post by paul messis »

sadly a few eyars back i tried ....... i was quite obsessed back then when i was 17 but now im 19 and my new obsession is rare 60's garage

but anyway from my memory banks hear goes

spacemen 3

spiritualized = lupine howl,applecraft?,julian cope which links to teardrops explodes and echo and the bunnymen,brain doner,electrahead,freelovebabies,slipstream,sunshine valley dance band links to ultrasound (there may be more links between other bands) members from these bands also played in the gauranteed ugly

spectrum = ,richard formby links dakota suite/triumph 2000 and produced the telescopes

e.a.r = kevin shields links to MBV and also *primal scream which links to jesus and mary chain ...MBV also links to snow pony. which also links to sterolab and makes this full circle cos sonic has worked with stereolab
kevin martin links to GOD
tom prevost links to A.M.M

if you include mani in primal scream they also link to stone roses which then links to seahorses and ian brown

if you want to you could also say mark refoy played in pet shop boys

darkside = alphastone,sterling roswell (ubik) ,craig the drummer is in richard ashcrofts band which also makes this full circle cos kate fucks ashcroft .he links us to the verve

this is all i can think of now ......which proves my music mind is very very sad......and i deserve to own a record shop .....note i have a very sharp memory too i don't forget a thing
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

paul messis wrote: darkside = alphastone,sterling roswell (ubik) ,craig the drummer is in richard ashcrofts band which also makes this full circle cos kate fucks ashcroft .he links us to the verve

Let's not forget Kate used to ride the purple sausage with Craig too. If you start a tree of the guys she's been with you can link The Darkside, Spacemen 3, Spiritualized, Verve and Mercury Rev.
paul messis

Post by paul messis »

before anyone asks

i personally think triumph 2000 beat anyting alphastone did .

which brings us onto more sadness i once emailed pete bassman to ask for richard formby's email address so i could somehow get hold of the triumph 2000 album (which i now have) .....and he then explained richard formby is his brother in law.

is this information relevant to any of you spacemen 3reaks?
paul messis

Post by paul messis »

runclible that is indeed a topic worth starting

but when she was in here prime i would have loved to

have you seen that pure phase era picture of her in a tiny rolling stones shirt with mini dress

those band members are all very luck

old skinny bones won the war .....but if she didn't get up the spout who would have been next?

a member of libertines maybe? they seem to be pretty big in NME at the moment?
paul messis

Post by paul messis »

MINI SKIRT sorry!!!
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

what's the radley/rev bed connection?

aw yeah, and a spiritualized drummer played on the baxter dury album, jazz butcher obviously has many links, spring heel jack opens up a huge can of worms, and lupine howl links off to stuff like portishead and massive attack.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

and sonic/spiritualized have connections to perfect disaster which gets you into breeders/pixies territory, and kim deal played with kurt ralske and i betcha ralske gets you back into s3 through some easy chain.
B-Z-A

The Never Ending Circle Of Fear Into The Underworld

Post by B-Z-A »

Dr John, Suicide, Low, Andrew Wetherall

J Spaceman's first guitar was (allegedly) given to him by the guy from Tight Fit thats a SpiritualizedR link to 'The Lion Sleeps Tonite'.

Finley Quaye wrote 'Spiritualized' about SpiritualizedR.

Does that count?

Ultrasound's lead singer used to stand in for J Spaceman when he wasn't feeling very well.

No one noticed, apart from me
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

JL wrote:i'd proceed with a little caution when shelling out money for alphastone. while they did get their act together somewhat by "motorway" (and the track on the enraptured comp is also quite nice -- though i consider it uncharacteristic of their sound), the early stuff can be grating. the debut, for example, relies too much on kinda cheesy, dance-y beats and weak songwriting that can't sustain the overly-long songs. just my opinion, though i'll admit i haven't played the damn things in a while.
Not sure I'd go with this. I actually found the Enraptured stuff more spun out and less interesting. Pete Bain gave me the Steophonic Pop Art tracks on cassette early on and many people I knew loved it. I think the released version on Bomp is the same recordings. 'Soul Weed' remains a very enjoyable album for me, but it took a while for the Motorway stuff to get to me, and even now a lot of it is so drawn out it would send many to sleep, although I quite like it.

The track on the Enraptured comp you mention (if its the gig CD you are very fortunate as those are very scarce) is a cover of Silver Apples 'You're Not Fooling Me' and is completely wonderful - its on Soul Weed too. Also probably the best solo track Pete B has ever done. They were superb at that Enraptured gig too - but so were many others.

Post by Guest »

The Azusa Plane were absolutely mindblowing at that gig
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

paul messis wrote: ...but when she was in here prime i would have loved to

have you seen that pure phase era picture of her in a tiny rolling stones shirt with mini dress...
I hope she's got a computer, so she can read all this! You'll really have made her day; what woman wouldn't be flattered to be the former masturbatory fantasy figure of a 19 year old former spacemen 3 obsessive? I bet you're beating them off with a shitty stick, aren't you? You silver toungued bastard.

Drone on...
paul messis

Post by paul messis »

I hope she has a computer too

more the merrier

i'm beating two with a shiny stick thanks

will this do? do you subscribe to readers digest or summit?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

I like you - you remind me of myself when I was young and stupid.

Of course it was all 'treating women as human beings' back then...
paul M

Post by paul M »

i write stupid stuff for the sakes of humor

i'm not stupid at all im on a very high paying job.

admitadly a shag would help

but kate aint on my wall no more,in fact the only thing on my wall is magnolia ......0900 numbers are what i do now :wink:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

She was/is as they say a 'warm un' to say the least !
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

Cheers for all the notes, re. S3 / Spz associated bands some really interesting stuff there, will definately follow up on some Alphastone stuff, the Tight Fit connection was most amusing !

Runcible - Yes it is the gig CD I think, I didn't go to the gig but bought the CD in Probe in Liverpool a couple of months ago for £6, its signed by all the people from all the bands on the back, so I guess it may still be available in a few places
buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

PS I used to have a S3 'bootleg' years ago that had loads of good stuff on it, it was a CD in a cardboard folded sleeve which had little thumbnail images of all the original Glass records singles / albums sleeves and all the really rare ones like the Munsters singles and stuff, I foolishly leant it out years ago and it never came back, does anybody know what it was called (as I can no longer remember) and if it is possible to get it from anywhere nowadays, many thanks :P :P
Ian

Post by Ian »

buggane
Known user

Post by buggane »

Cheers Ian, you've made me a very happy man, on vinyl too, fantastic !!!
Mrs Ashcroft

I PISSED MY PANTS AND NOW I NEED TO GET LAID

Post by Mrs Ashcroft »

Courtesy of FREELOVEBABES :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHY is the spiritualized board full of sqaures ....i went on there to act a geek realized i proved myself too geeky

for even them ......then i inject a slight bit of usual humor and then a square gives me all this jive .

theres no place like home
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers for that Paul...tell it like it is.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Hahaha. "square"..."jive"...

Get with the swing, Daddio.

We're EJAKAITED is what we are...able to read and write whole paragraphs at a time.

I've had a look at the Freelovebabies forum, and (as long as we're going to have this conversation, which it seems you started), and if the web-equivilant of monosyllabic grunts and tittering pass for humour/communication over there...well...each to their own I guess.
helterskelter111

Post by helterskelter111 »

Will This Do?

What's so wrong with the odd titter?

Leave Paul alone, he needs a woman, thats all!

It doesa get very serious here sometimes, don't you think?
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

1. He called me a geek. I admit that rising to it wasn't really good enough, but, heck, we're all human.

2. It is also often very funny here. Sometimes even I am funny. The humour ranges from dry and wordy, to basic and peurile. Look around. And you can say what you want to, and I can say what I want to.

3. Paul is (on the evidence of his posts, in my opinion) neither clever or funny, in spite of his best efforts. But as I said, he reminds me of ME when I was that age.

4. Whatever. Carry on. It's only my opinion. It's not my board. Be as juvenile and mysoginistic as you want.

5. I used to think that girls could kind of smell the desparation. Try cracking one off before you go out...then, just be yourself, take an interest in her and listen to what she's got to say. Failing that, get hold of some Rohypnol.

God, what a pompous fucker.
paul messis

Post by paul messis »

no need to get up tight

wills forum is my home when i go on the net ...ive met those guys in life and they are normal blokes ,, ive been talking to half those folks for nearlly 5 years

here you guys aint human your robots

i like to have a moan and all that

but you can't take the piss for me using a word like jive ....you don't even know me .

my post's are all based on boredom,isolation,middleclass angst and teenage rage ........ don't take anything i say to heart

these sorta places are just means for me to do shit stirring and bollox .

squares is a good word to use for most of society and people ...no?
paul messis

Post by paul messis »

will this do come to wills forum its a good laugh .

and if you wanna geek out and talk about spiritualized im most obligized to geek out with you.

i got let it flow 3 cd set for a 10er today
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

yeah yeah.

talk to the hand...

:lol:
Robot ARCHIE

A Hatful And A Half Of Hollow

Post by Robot ARCHIE »

Is that a ROBOT hand will???

*BEEP*

:idea:

[ROBOTIC LAUGHTER IN THE DISTANCE]
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

:?:
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Rosco's "Psychedelic Ubik" album is reviewed in this month's Record Collector. Apparently it's "without the pomposity of Spiritualized".
OOOOBIC

Post by OOOOBIC »

YEAH RECORDED ON A SHOE STRING. STERLING NOW OWNS A ROLLER. IS JASE STILL IN HIS 3 WHEELER PAYING HIS DEBT TO THE MUZIC BIZ BOYZ IN ZUITS??? WORSE THAN HEROIN ADDICTION ANY DAY???
Undie World

Re: The Never Ending Circle Of Fear Into The Underworld

Post by Undie World »

B-Z-A wrote:Dr John, Suicide, Low, Andrew Wetherall

J Spaceman's first guitar was (allegedly) given to him by the guy from Tight Fit thats a SpiritualizedR link to 'The Lion Sleeps Tonite'.

Finley Quaye wrote 'Spiritualized' about SpiritualizedR.
That was not a guitar Mr Tight Fit gave J. ...but it was a tight fit.
Control.Central.

..-...-..-.-..-.--.--..-....--.-.-..-.-.---.--.-.-.--..-.-.-

Post by Control.Central. »

Paul.Messis..
Report.To.Reprogramming.Room.13..Return.to.free.love.before.you.disintergrate.into.negative.ionized.energy..
Will.That.Do..You.have.humour..positive.affirmation..Funny.as.my.brain.twister.probe..Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha.Ha..
paul M

Post by paul M »

you better have the WD40

my squares outburst was wrong ......it was written after wtd gave me his "women are not just for sex" lecture telling me dear kate was my masturbatory fantasy........ i found his statement a bit square and a slight bit patronizing ........I ADMIT i was stupid .........after his lecture i actually regretted writing my nonsense on wills site regarding you folks ,i even liked WILL THIS DO'S? humour and fully regretted writing my crap .....but when i speak in beatnik talk it isn't serious .... stupidly like always i tend to moan on will's page and forget that other people read it and how much in the shits it could get me in . im surprised the government havent arrested me yet?

and therefore as the idiot i must apologize to you all?

you arn't robot's squares or fool's!

soz mate
Control.Central..

p.messis..

Post by Control.Central.. »

Paul.Messis..
Do.not.apoligize.. We.are.square.robotic.fools.. Will.This.Do.only.has.sub.level.2b49.humour.programming.. Therefore.he.is.not.humourous.at.all..ha.ha.ha.ha.ha..
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

JAZZ MAGS & JAZZ CIGARETTES

Post by BzaInSpace »

paul M wrote:
and therefore as the idiot i must apologize to you all?

you arn't robot's squares or fool's!
HEY PAUL....no apologies needed, fuck these crazy words, and indeed these crazy boards.

"IT'S JUST TALK" (Hoskins)

BUT if we are the squares, general society is a CIRCLE.

MAY THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN.

And very definetely, some of us here are robots, or at least 75% droid/ 25% human... Cyborgs if you will.

Join in the fun here man, feel free to spraff madness...it's mainly a valve for cheeky laughter.

Bring an ounce and a tin of Tennent's and we will all be happy...alledgedly

Do you like the Beats? or just beats?

More music.....
paul M

Post by paul M »

i like the mersey beats?

as for beatniks i think the uk beats were especially cool ........the first folks to do acid ...... staying up all night in wardour street smoking dope in jazz clubs ....how cool would it have been to be in the 100 club when alexis korner and the blues inc were playing .

i wish i was around those days .....the thing bouts people my age now is there isn't anyone who has imagination anymore ......... imagine a band like THE ADVERTS now .....we need a punk generation here now!!!!! cos we are an age literally living in shit ..old women get mugged and beaten to a pulp ,in my job people who live in whitehawk and mousclecomb in brighton are living in shit physically too .

as for spiritualized is anyone else going too see them and primal scream ........ my tickets are about 3/4 definate .....i am in limbo if i know if im going .

and i did get let it flow 3 cd set for a 10er and they are the best b-sides ive heard
Bza

Mobile Conspiracy

Post by Bza »

Hey, are the b-sides the same tracks that are on 'Good Dope, Good Fun'? I've heard the insane 'Things'll Never Be The Same' - never heard the 'Let It Flow' singles. Different mixes?

I think all the punks play computer games now. I'm glad i got into ROCK N' ROLL and put that shit away.

I'm certain some people always make it through all the conditioning... but the mobiles are rotting everyones brains... or balls*

But...the record companies are crumbling away (dialtones top 40)...whether that's good or bad deserves it's own thread (maybe) but it's mind-boggling to think that I have enough (admittedly basic) equipment to record, mix, produce and mass-copy an album...with ABSOLUTELY no company/corporation/THE MAN.

Admittedly I lose out on lump sums (that you pay from your eventual earnings), mastering, distribution, packaging, tours etc.... but i'll live.

Now, ten years ago this would have been pretty much impossible - or at least on my budget.

* the best way to avoid fertility is keeping a mobile in your trouser pocket ...supposedly