Mesmerised

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

twentysixdollars
Known user

Mesmerised

Post by twentysixdollars »

I finally bought this on a record excursion the other week. It's nice! - surprisingly intricate and melodic. Who knew? Hats off to Mr Kember.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Excellent EAR record. Probably more song-structured than most of the others, but no less entertaining!
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Is that the one with the tracks "Feedback" going into "Then I just drifted away" can't remember as I'm at work so can't check. think it is though, two great tracks from Pete and a sorely over looked record, better than Soul kiss IMHO.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Nah.. i think you are thinking of Highs, Lows & Heavenly Blows, the follow up to Soul Kiss. Mesmerised is the first EAR record.

This is the Mesmerised:

They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Ahhh that makes sense then. I've got Mesmerise but can't remember anything about it. was this when he ditched the tunes in favour of drones...damn my memory is so bad these days.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
twentysixdollars
Known user

Seems to me that "Guitar Feedback Manipulation" might be Peter's greatest recording in that genre. Strange that it was a bonus track!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

My favourite EAR release.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

my copy claims 'approx playing time 65 mins' but it's only just over 56. Still good though... :D
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Jasonsmith wrote:my copy claims 'approx playing time 65 mins' but it's only just over 56. Still good though... :D
That is approximate!

Is this a hard one to find on 12"? Can't say as I've come across it before...
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
twentysixdollars
Known user

I've seen Mesmerised on vinyl, even recently, though not often, and less so since about 2000. Not sure how rare it is. Probably not very as far as Kember vinyl goes.

I have a budget (possibly bootleg) vinyl version of Coltrane's Lush Life probably from the 70s that says, in bold print on the back, "APPROXIMATE PLAYING TIME 60 MIN." Lush Life is 36 minutes long. Now that's approximate!

To say nothing of the forty seconds Jason had to add to LAGWAFIS to make the label copy ("70 minutes") accurate. Even so, he overshot it, and ended up with 70:02!
synthiA
Known user

Re: Mesmerised

Post by synthiA »

twentysixdollars wrote:I finally bought this on a record excursion the other week. It's nice! - surprisingly intricate and melodic. Who knew? Hats off to Mr Kember.

Who Knew?

Lots know. Many have told. 26 always dismisses.

After years of having to read you shit bagging on Sonic's work, I'm glad that you finally gave it a listen and even admit to liking it. That's very big of you.

You want intricate and melodic? Vibrations and Continuum are the most accessible, in my opinion. For you... it may take another decade or two.

BTW-- The vinyl and even the CD are pretty rare. I've seen the cd go for $50 on ebay. SpaceAge was intending to rerelease but those guys have better things to do (not).
twentysixdollars
Known user

synthiA wrote: BTW-- The vinyl and even the CD are pretty rare. I've seen the cd go for $50 on ebay. SpaceAge was intending to rerelease but those guys have better things to do (not).
The CD of Mesmerised? It's still in print!

http://www.amazon.com/Mesmerised-Experi ... 000003KY4/

In fact it looks to me like the EAR albums (many of which are on Sympathy, which has international distribution) are much easier to find than the Spectrum albums, even Forever Alien, which was on Reprise.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mesmerised has been re issued by Space Age with new artwork. Same four tracks as original cd though:

http://www.adasam.plus.com/spaceage/page53.htm

Fantastic album. If you don't already have it you should definitely pick up a copy.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'd say the split with Julie's Haircut is the best work sonic did, but then again it's a split.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I already have this one, but I ordered it again for the ' transparent acetate artwork '. Now, I need to replace my ' Continuum ' cd (the one with multi-color jewel box), it got crushed during a move ...
porkchop
Known user

Re: ...

Post by porkchop »

[quote="They Transmit"]Is that the one with the tracks "Feedback" going into "Then I just drifted away" can't remember as I'm at work so can't check. think it is though, two great tracks from Pete and a sorely over looked record, better than Soul kiss IMHO.[/quote]

I think that "feedback" off Highs, Lows....is a tune off of Phenomina 256..or a shorter version of.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just bought a copy from Spaceage...never heard anything by EAR so not sure what to expect really. On a side note, what are the chances of Spaceage re-releasing High, Lows and Heavenly Blows? I'm having a nightmare trying to get hold of it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ads wrote:Just bought a copy from Spaceage...never heard anything by EAR so not sure what to expect really.
If you liked Spectrum's "Soul Kiss Glide Divine" i'd be surprised if you don't like Mesmerised. My favourite EAR album by a distance.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

yeah, i ordered a copy the other day, really looking forward to listening to it. the only other EAR i've heard is phenomena 256 which sent me on a really bad trip.
Ads wrote: what are the chances of Spaceage re-releasing High, Lows and Heavenly Blows? I'm having a nightmare trying to get hold of it.
i asked Pete via email about this about 3 years ago, he said he was hoping soul kiss and highs and lows were to be reissued but since then...... :cry: