Holy Grails

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

BVCP206
Known user

Holy Grails

Post by BVCP206 »

Glass version of PP on cassette has just dropped through my letterbox. It's took me a number of years to find a copy but I eventually got there after winning an auction on ebay. Just wanted to say in an age of 'so called' ltd editions/promos etc. such as the 'Cheapster' single and countless diff spiz samplers ltd. to a 1,000,000 copies a piece it was nice to track down something genuinely hard to come by.
Just need WWJ 12" W/L/T/P and Spiz Euro Boxset and I'm sorted !
Anybody else got any 'Holy Grails' that took them years to find or that they are still looking for?
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Munster Dance Hall Favourites Vol 1, took me a very long time to get. I don't collect any cassettes and pretty much all I 'need' now are some PP cds on Genius.

I got a look at runcible's list a year or so ago and realized immediately that I'll never have it all, which was actually good. I haven't spent anything close to $75 on vinyl in a long time :wink:

Only Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned is that red Japanese lagwafis pillbox I saw a few years ago online. I've never been able to verify that it actually exists but I did see photos...
clewsr
Known user

Re: Holy Grails

Post by clewsr »

BVCP206 wrote: Just need WWJ 12" W/L/T/P and Spiz Euro Boxset and I'm sorted !
what's the Spiz Euro Boxset? never heard of that...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

BVCP206 wrote:Glass version of PP on cassette has just dropped through my letterbox. It's took me a number of years to find a copy but I eventually got there after winning an auction on ebay.?
Go on then, how much did it cost?

Post by Guest »

the x-files theme tune radio dedicated sampler took me years to track down, and then when I found it, it cost me 25p....
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

clewsr wrote:
BVCP206 wrote: Just need WWJ 12" W/L/T/P and Spiz Euro Boxset and I'm sorted !
what's the Spiz Euro Boxset? never heard of that...
Euro boxset basically consisted of 3 standard issue cd's and an info sheet housed in a card box with a white ribbon around it. Cd's were LGM,Feels So Sad cd single and Medication cd single.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Starfish wrote:
BVCP206 wrote:Glass version of PP on cassette has just dropped through my letterbox. It's took me a number of years to find a copy but I eventually got there after winning an auction on ebay.?
Go on then, how much did it cost?
Approx £15 all in which I thought was pretty good for an item which enabled me to complete my standard issue SP3 'Glass' collection.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

By 'eck. I thought you were gonna say £50 or something.
:shock:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Starfish wrote:By 'eck. I thought you were gonna say £50 or something.
:shock:
Going rate for this item is approx £20-£25, first time I've ever seen one on ebay was very pleased with the price, I think it helped that the description line didn't include the word cassette !
Ian

Post by Ian »

BVCP206 wrote:I think it helped that the description line didn't include the word cassette !
Too bloody right it did! We'd have had an interesting bidding war if it had.

Did manage to get a Genius PP cassette recently, though, which I imagine has the same tracks. It's purple, of course.

Love,

Ian
gandt
New user

Post by gandt »

It took me nearly ten years to get the Munster Dancehall 7" in both the black and pink covers... it's never ending though I'm now going through picking up the differing releases of the albumns on the various labels.

does Runcible still have a published list, if so is it online? I used to trade with him years ago.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

[quote="gandt"]It took me nearly ten years to get the Munster Dancehall 7" in both the black and pink covers... it's never ending though I'm now going through picking up the differing releases of the albumns on the various labels.

The Munster 7" is very difficult to find. I acquired my pink copy some years ago, swapped it for the Stretcher Case Baby 7" by The Damned which I think in the long run was a good move. The black sleeve still eludes me although there are supposed to be more copies than pink ! Still I'll keep looking, after all it's half the fun !
gandt
New user

Post by gandt »

oddly enough there was a spate of about 4 Munster 7" up for sale on Ebay about a year ago all in the space of a few months. It was bizarre. You are right tho' - it's what makes it all so much fun.

I've also been focussing on compilations that feature the odd Spacemen 3 track over the last couple of years and was thinking of posting a list on the web of what I've found to see if there are many more out there that people were aware of. Sometimes I do think I should get out more though... ;)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sadly I no longer trade or sell Spacemen stuff. Blame the bigger outlets. How can you compete when they offer new releases at a cheaper price than I could get them from a wholesaler for? It was a tough time.

Send me a private message sometime Mr Gandt - be nice to catch up. I have made some very close friends who used to buy and trade stuff with me - a few on this very board.

That Munster 7" took me an age to locate. The pink one is indeed the most tricky - I only ever had a very few to sell. The sad part is once you find shit like that you turn to idiotic items such as test pressings which were made in quantities of less than 10, or strange things such as coloured vinyls Pete K did as one offs. I think there are 5 copies of Drone Dream on luminous and clear, as well as 2 California Lullabyes on clear, and a crazy single copy on swirly clear and black.

We have entered the realms of the desperately anal kollektorskum as Chris Barrus used to call it... (http://www.spacemen3.info/kollektor.html) Sadly you can count me in.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

[quote="runcible"] as well as 2 California Lullabyes on clear, and a crazy single copy on swirly clear and black.

Couldn't let that go without mentioning the even crazier one off red vinyl copy ! and aren't there 4 clear copies ?

This is very sad.

Post by Guest »

BVCP206 wrote:This is very sad.
but so much fun!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Isn't it getting to the stage where fans can just create their own limited editions?
It must be very easy these days to run off 500 or so 7" singles from a CD recording. Dress them up in whatever sleeve you like and leak them out to a unsuspecting fan base.
"Rare, Australian import promo of Revolution for sale. 7" yellow vinyl, die-cut sleeve, not signed by Sonic Boom - £25"

And who's to say it would be any less valid. Bootlegs are sometimes more valuable than official recordings.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

kor blimey.....some ofyou lot do go far too far,

i've got the glass 12"'s, which i never play and a pile of spacemen stuff, mostly discovered from powercuts in manchester (now sadly gone : morrissey used to work there).

the only unusual rarity I have is a poster advertising the spacemen and others at the benn hall, rugby, which was found in a drawer at my mothers school, and the posters for sounds of confusion and walking with jesus which will carruthers gave me.

and all the spiritualized stuff, but I gave up after completing pretty much everything from ladies and gents, like runcible, I've given up on the more modern stuff.

I've got a lovely promo copy of anyway that you want me, which runcible sold me for a fiver at the reading festival 1993 (complete with ear promotions pull out detailing the first spiritualized tour)......but nothing on the lines of the stereolab / sonic 7"
gandt
New user

Post by gandt »

andyblacktoo wrote:but nothing on the lines of the stereolab / sonic 7"
I'm sure this has probably been asked before but can someone clarify this for me? I thought it was a 10" of which there were 50 made? I've never come across the record for sale and only heard about the existence of it from chinese whispers from a few people I've spoken to in the past...

getting into sad territory again but it has always intrigued me.

scrap that - I've just read all about it on Chris's site - doh!

(reminder to self: engage brain before opening gob)
dr. strangelove
Known user

Post by dr. strangelove »

BVCP206 wrote: Anybody else got any 'Holy Grails' that took them years to find or that they are still looking for?
YES !!
Imagine my surprise when The Arc Of The Covenant recently dropped through my letterbox !!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

gandt wrote:
andyblacktoo wrote:but nothing on the lines of the stereolab / sonic 7"
I'm sure this has probably been asked before but can someone clarify this for me? I thought it was a 10" of which there were 50 made? I've never come across the record for sale and only heard about the existence of it from chinese whispers from a few people I've spoken to in the past...

getting into sad territory again but it has always intrigued me.

scrap that - I've just read all about it on Chris's site - doh!

(reminder to self: engage brain before opening gob)
And I was about to reminisce about how I had all of them in a plastic bag in my office. The unprepared artwork was in plain form and I had to cut it up and insert it into the sleeves myself. spzretent saw them but declined to take one. Double doh!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

And I was about to reminisce about how I had all of them in a plastic bag in my office. The unprepared artwork was in plain form and I had to cut it up and insert it into the sleeves myself. spzretent saw them but declined to take one. Double doh![/quote]

Unless I'm much mistaken I'm pretty sure that no.3 is the rarest as it has a hidden track on it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:
Unless I'm much mistaken I'm pretty sure that no.3 is the rarest as it has a hidden track on it.
That's right. I carved it into the run-out groove with an old kitchen knife myself - 'Runcemen Jam' I think it was. Featuring only me - on spoons.

Post by Guest »

Psychodelecise Suburbia by The Darkside

The hours I've spent searching for this elusive slab of vinyl.

And so ........ back to ebay
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Starfish wrote: "Rare, Australian import promo of Revolution for sale. 7" yellow vinyl, die-cut sleeve, not signed by Sonic Boom - £25"
I think I've got a copy of that!

Now, where did I put that yellow craft paint...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

And I was about to reminisce about how I had all of them in a plastic bag in my office. The unprepared artwork was in plain form and I had to cut it up and insert it into the sleeves myself. spzretent saw them but declined to take one. Double doh![/quote]

I still couldn't rationalise spending that kind of cash on a record. Of course hindsight being 20/20 I would have taken the lot :D
I was just at someone's house in Phoenix who bid and won a Can Monster Movie orig lp w/poster. $1500! He wouldn't even show it to me. He said subsequent ones on ebay have gone for double that.
Its weird as fuck being out in Arizona on Martin Luther King Day. Its like they now go overboard out here. Like they are making up for lost time when they were the only state that refused to recognize it as a holiday.
Slowlife, keep your comments to yourself on this one.
The weather sure is nice. Too bad I am going back to 30 and snow tomorrow.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I was in Phoenix the day after the election in November. It certainly answered my question: "Who the hell voted for Bush??"
Lovely place though. Saw a roadrunner - they're not blue, as I had previously been led to believe.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Was he clobbered by a box of Acme explosives?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

No, but we tried to drop an anvil on it from a rickety bridge...
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Guest (whoever you are!) your elusive search may be ending soon:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

I know how you feel, as it took me ages to get my hands on this LP. I think you'll find it's worth the effort.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

They'll probably find they have a bit of competition now, though... ;)
porkchop
Known user

holy grails

Post by porkchop »

i'm still looking to complete my lagwafis subway posters. they were given to me without the jason piece. and can anyone confirm if there was a 5th poster
of kate holding a pill box(in color)????
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I have the full-colour poster of Kate holding the pill box and it is a regular size poster (about 2 ft x 3 ft). I've seen the subway posters your talking about and my friend has about 3 sections of it. We took them off the walls of a club that was promoting the LAGWAFIS album. I don't know what would happen if we had gotten caught ? I could plea intoxication of Jack Daniels and Coke ...
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Thanks for that fuzz - I was the 'forgot to log in guest'

Can't let this slip by - off to the bank for a re-mortgage tomorrow
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Yay!!!!! thanks for the heads up fuzz
only cost me £21, so i didnt have to sell the gran!
god speed to the postal service.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

No problem. I'm glad you got it. Always a nice feeling. I paid £25 for my copy.

Think I'll slap it on the turntable later. Haven't listened to it for a while.