Spectrum - Indian Giver

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Spectrum - Indian Giver

Post by runcible »

People have mentioned this album but it doesn't seem to have been given a great deal of exposure here. I can't think why as it's quite excellent.

Lots of classic Sonic Boom/Spacemen feel - there's good versions of Hey Man and When Tomorrow Hits too. Thrown into that is Jom Dickinson's rumbling voice and a slight country twang on occasion. I've played it a few times over the weekend and it's a great listen. 'The Lonesome Death Of Johnny Ace' forms the centrepiece - countryish, Suicide-ish, unmistakeably Sonic Boom-ish too - and is an epic tale of back stage Russian Roulette... The stand out for me is Take Your Time (reworked from Highs, Lows and Heavenly Blows) which is pure Pete Kember and reeks of Spectrum of earlier years.

There isn't even much about this on Pete's web site let alone anywhere else - how did such a high quality album sneak out so quietly? It's certainly as good as A & E, maybe even better, and deserves everyone's attention...
Laz69
Known user

Re: Spectrum - Indian Giver

Post by Laz69 »

Talks are continuing with my bank manager on whether i can get this... :lol:
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Concurred (except about the A&E bit).

This is a great miniLP and is back to the original SP3 bluesy theme. Love Jim Dickinsons mental lyrics too.

It was a strange day a few weeks back when this and Mr Lonely arrived on the same day. Interesting to see, and pretty ironic given what many on here say, that 2008 sees Sonic back in song mode and J in free jazz/atmospheric mode. The main(line) thing is that they are both making wonderful music.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:People have mentioned this album but it doesn't seem to have been given a great deal of exposure here. I can't think why as it's quite excellent.

Lots of classic Sonic Boom/Spacemen feel - there's good versions of Hey Man and When Tomorrow Hits too. Thrown into that is Jom Dickinson's rumbling voice and a slight country twang on occasion. I've played it a few times over the weekend and it's a great listen. 'The Lonesome Death Of Johnny Ace' forms the centrepiece - countryish, Suicide-ish, unmistakeably Sonic Boom-ish too - and is an epic tale of back stage Russian Roulette... The stand out for me is Take Your Time (reworked from Highs, Lows and Heavenly Blows) which is pure Pete Kember and reeks of Spectrum of earlier years.

There isn't even much about this on Pete's web site let alone anywhere else - how did such a high quality album sneak out so quietly? It's certainly as good as A & E, maybe even better, and deserves everyone's attention...
Have to agree with everything above defo on a par with A & E although probably not as accessible to the masses but what does that matter:!: This should certainly be purchased by anyone who harks back to the halcyon days of Spectrum. The lack of exposure is somewhat baffling anybody shed any light on this :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

spectrum are supporting MBV later this week and they are playing a sonic cathedral gig with the fucking brilliant Early Years and great Flowers of Hell in July then even better Spectrum and The Early years are part of the Sonic Cathedral night at Truck Festival. I'm sure Nat will post the details on these shows here soon.

Truck is great, £63 for 2 days of top music, camping on a lovely site and due to increased capacity has tickets available.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I agree that this is a "return to form"-type CD and am also puzzled by the lack of attention it has received. I knew it was coming out but was surprised to find it at my local record shop when I went searching for "Songs In A+E". I brought it home, not expecting much, and was very pleasantly surprised. The other baffling thing is why it took so long to release. This was recorded a few years ago! Anyway, I also highly recommend it to fans of Spacemen 3 and early Spectrum. And I hope it's somewhat representative of the forthcoming "proper" Spectrum album as well. I've posted elsewhere that I was very disappointed with the last Sonic show I saw. Thankfully, I can't say the same for this CD :D ...

Peace.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

it got a review in the Times, but not much word other than that. But its unspurprising really, Jason is the corporate rock star these days. Sonic definately plows his own furrow.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 895846.ece
gottafire
Known user

Post by gottafire »

regrettably named? :lol:
I think this is a quality release. Haven't stopped playing it since it dropped through my door.
http://spiritualizedelectricmainline.blogspot.com/

The place for live Spiritualized®!!

Now with added Tufty power!!!
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Not sure why its not getting more press. It is the first Spectrum release proper since Forever Alien isn't it?(not counting comps etc). Also, Pete has been touring for the past year with little or no merch too. There's another ep and the long awaited lp that Pete just needs to tidy up. Lucky, you guys overseas who're gonna see Spectrum and MBV. That's the ticket!!

I think its a solid release and deserves some more attention...but that's just my 2 cents. :D
Father Yod
New user

Post by Father Yod »

This is excellent! A return to a form which is neither self-indulgent nor patronising. Let's put it this way, for the last 7 years or more the Spectrum purchases have simply lined up in the rack after about 3/4 of a listen each. Heard it, done that. This one though is on the ipod and will be staying there. Bloody great.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

Father Yod wrote:This is excellent! A return to a form which is neither self-indulgent nor patronising. Let's put it this way, for the last 7 years or more the Spectrum purchases have simply lined up in the rack after about 3/4 of a listen each. Heard it, done that. This one though is on the ipod and will be staying there. Bloody great.
i agree with this in its entirely, a welcome return to form for certain. well done mr kember if you read this.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Enjoying this release a lot. Can't imagine why those involved sat on it for so long (two years? three?)...it's sharp, expedient, makes me nostalgic.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Looking forward to hearing it, my copy is in the mail as I type.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea, it's a cracker. a real treat.

are the captain memphis tunes revisits/updates too?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
imagne
Known user

Post by imagne »

great, great lp.
was gutted i missed them w/mbv as was at the fri gig. hopefully will catch this new lineup though..
myegi
Known user

Post by myegi »

Hi all, I really want to get this but am having no luck! I looked around a bit in London when I was there last, but couldn't find it, and can't get it shipped to Moscow where I live. Am hoping it's available in shops in New York or Philly or San Diego when I visit in September: anybody have recs for good places to try my quest there? I won't be around long enough to do a special order or anything. Thanks!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Giver-Spec ... 515&sr=8-2

Amazon is usually the best place to find albums. My record store even goes so far as to base our prices off of those on the 'zon.
myegi
Known user

Post by myegi »

I love and terribly miss ordering from Amazon, but getting things shipped to Moscow is too risky, time-consuming and overall obnoxious, thus I go on album binges when I get the chance at shops in other countries. Don't even have a credit card anymore. Thanks though!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well, if worst comes to worst, I can get it and ship it to you!
myegi
Known user

Post by myegi »

That's really helpful, thanks... I'll let you know if worst comes to worst!
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

toomilk wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Giver-Spec ... 515&sr=8-2

Amazon is usually the best place to find albums. My record store even goes so far as to base our prices off of those on the 'zon.
what record store is this?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Now that I've actually read the post I was replying to...

As far as San Diego goes, M-Theory (on Washington Ave near the airport) and Off The Record (on University Ave near the North Park sign) might have them, but Music Trader in Pacific Beach (on Garnet Ave) will definitely have it.

EDIT: I work at the Music Trader in Pacific Beach.
myegi
Known user

Post by myegi »

thanks, i seriously bored a hole in my shoe wandering around london looking for a copy :) i will take a trip there and give y'all some good business...
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Enjoying this at present...like to sing my own lyrics over the longer instrumental pieces

Apparently PK is due back up in Glasgow...soon...according to some hearsay...from someone...somehwere

Best,

retnuH trautS
Shoulders back, smash it
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

Finally got to hear the songs, no where near as good as A&E, some serious smoking for whoever made that statement. I will say it is good to hear something new with guitars, forever alien was a waste of money. I think Sonic needs to get his new album out soon, his work is always second to Jason in my opinion anyway, but in comparison he really has wasted a lot of time with his releases. The original versions of the songs on this were better except for take your time. You would think at this stage in the game he would want to get his career on track, time is running out for the boom. Since the split Jason is miles away from him in terms of success/critical acclaim etc!
Jason Burkett
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

not a masterpiece but a good teaser for the next spectrum album?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

myegi wrote:thanks, i seriously bored a hole in my shoe wandering around london looking for a copy :) i will take a trip there and give y'all some good business...
myegi, check your PMs if you have not already.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

jmb066 wrote:forever alien was a waste of money.
I couldn't disagree more. I think FA was way ahead of it's time and is one of my fave post-SP3 Sonic releases.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

jmb066 wrote:You would think at this stage in the game he would want to get his career on track, time is running out for the boom. Since the split Jason is miles away from him in terms of success/critical acclaim etc!
Like it's a competition?!?

I don't think PK has ever given a fuck TBH. He's always done exactly the music he wanted to.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

natty wrote:
jmb066 wrote:You would think at this stage in the game he would want to get his career on track, time is running out for the boom. Since the split Jason is miles away from him in terms of success/critical acclaim etc!

I don't think PK has ever given a fuck TBH. He's always done exactly the music he wanted to.
Spot on Natty. When the Spacemen split everyone was sure Pete would go into this massive area of Beach Boys-esue drone tracks like Set Me Free - in fact many journalists were looking to him more than Jason for big time success. The fact that he went in a totally different direction and did what he wanted to stunned loads of people. But he's still here and commands massive respect for his refusal to do what people expect of him - me included. There are few artists you can say that about.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runcible wrote:
natty wrote:

Spot on Natty. When the Spacemen split everyone was sure Pete would go into this massive area of Beach Boys-esue drone tracks like Set Me Free - in fact many journalists were looking to him more than Jason for big time success. The fact that he went in a totally different direction and did what he wanted to stunned loads of people. But he's still here and commands massive respect for his refusal to do what people expect of him - me included. There are few artists you can say that about.
Well said - from the most esoteric Spectrum album, Forever Alien, to the magnificent remix of Magnétophone's Benny's Insobriety Sr. Sonic has made some amazing music equal to Spz over the years, IMO.

Different directions take folks down different paths, but I like to think these equal each other - Indian Giver compared to Songs in A+E is just like likening apples and pears...they have a similar vibe and flavour, but are essentially both remarkable and different albums.

If PK could get a live Spectrum act behaving professionally like Spz currently have, (and I'm very much looking forwards to the gig tomorrow), I could envision a successful UK tour, instead of hanging on the coat-tails of Sonic Cathedral, MBV & Truckfest, it would be good to know the band could get together and perform, without the irritating whinging to the FOH/monitor techs, and the absurd gaps between tunes.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

mojo filters wrote: without the irritating whinging to the FOH/monitor techs, and the absurd gaps between tunes.
LOL but it's been like that since the Spacemen days. Can't imagine he's ever going to change TBH. That's just Pete's way of doing things.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

natty wrote:
mojo filters wrote: without the irritating whinging to the FOH/monitor techs, and the absurd gaps between tunes.
LOL but it's been like that since the Spacemen days. Can't imagine he's ever going to change TBH. That's just Pete's way of doing things.
The first time I saw Spiritualized in Leeds (at the Warehouse in 1991) there was a gap of 45 minutes between 2 of the songs. There was a technical issue and the engineer was apparently paralytic.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Just got Indian Giver today - what a fucking great record. The production is lovely, particularly like the stax-y horns all over the new "Take Your Time", "Confederate Dead" is my favourite of the newies, love the reverberating sitar-like drone through it. The track reminds me of "Electric Mainline" a bit, actually. Love the fuzzed-up, whacked-out space-blues (!?) of "Johnny Ace", too. Whole album's real gritty. Only listened through once, looking forward to a few more. Nice to hear PK singing again too. I hope this is a portent of the new Spectrum record proper although given this was recorded 5 years ago who knows. Then again, wasn't the new Spectrum record nearly finished nearly that long ago? Anyway, top work.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

ahh natty, isn't 'take your time' just magnificent.

wonderful album, what took so long for it to be released?

anyoneknow if it's gonna show up on vinyl?

thanks

me.

p/s- good to see you back natty.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

runcible wrote:
natty wrote:

this seems to very much be the case. whilst at times im the first to admit im not a total fan of all of sonic's work, i totally admire him for just doing what he wants, rather than what commerciality dictates. and there are a hell of a lot of pretty impressive musicians who hold kember in serious regard and admiration (he works with stereolab and yo la tengo, plays keyboards for gruff rhys, is widely admired by kevin shields and the flaming lips).

lets face it. if i was in a notable band, say kasabian and i wanted to consult someone to help add some form of analogue synth noises to a track. he'd be top of my shopping list.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I had no idea there was a Super Furry Animals/Kember connection. Where/when did Petey play for Gruff?

The Lips don't admire him so much anymore, although I think that's mainly for personal reasons.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

supershonn wrote:ahh natty, isn't 'take your time' just magnificent.

wonderful album, what took so long for it to be released?

anyoneknow if it's gonna show up on vinyl?

thanks

me.

p/s- good to see you back natty.
Hey nice one Shonn. How's things?

I'd quite like to hear the whole of "Highs..." re-done like that version of Take Your Time. It's such an underrated album anyway.

In fact, Sonic, if you still read this board, are you ever going to reissue the Spectrum back catalogue? Highs, Lows... is a fucking gem, and one of the hardest Spectrum records to find these days. Fuck knows what happened to my copy but I'd like it back if anyone knows?
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I seem to remember there were plans to re release it. I did email PK about the spectrum solo lp and to my joy there are plans to re release that.

A great lp, not often mentioned for some reason.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

seriously, there is NO need for kasasbian to release another album.

natty, all is good. thanks.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

supershonn wrote:seriously, there is NO need for kasasbian to release another album.
Kasabian featuring Sonic Boom?

Nah!
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Dear Friends,

I would like to know your opinion about this album; follow me song by song:
1. Mary
(just an introduction, the first part of the track n. 9)
2. The Lonesome Death of Johnny Ace
(beautiful songs, the only new song of the album, love it)
3. Take Your Time
(song in the album Highs, Lows And Heavenly Blows, nothing new)
4. Til Your Mainline Comes
(ok, new song, but we've just listened it more and more times in the old american album)
5. When Tomorrow Hits
(song in the album Recurring, nothing new)
6. The Old Cow Died
(same as n. 4)
7. Hey Man
(song in the Sound of confusion, it's not so different so nothing new)
8. Confederate Dead
(I've tried to listened it more times, but it's a very boring song)
9. Mary Reprise
(the live version with a full band is better than this boring version)

I think this album isn't very much, it's my thought, but I'd like to know your!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

See elsewhere. Most people like it and I love it.

I disagree with most of your negative comments. Mary is simple and effective - certainly it works better live but it fits in really well here. The reworking of Take Your Time is great - he's added a great feel to it and it sounds fantastic and is better than the Forever Alien version. When Tomorrow Hits sounds very different to the version on Recurring - it's not as good but this version is still worthwhile. Same with Hey Man - very different to the SOC version but really nice. Jason redid this at the Acoustic Mainline shows - and why not? Confederate Dead is lovely and harks back to some of the atmospheric stuff on Soul Kiss (which I played on my way to work this morning and was struck again at how fantastic it is).

Next up - Pure Phase. When it came out most of the music had been around for ages - either on the live circuit, b-sides or from the Spacemen 3 days. At the time I was really disappointed with it but it stands up very well indeed now. So what if people want to re-interpret older stuff? It's normally worth it, and while I don't think any of the new versions of Spacemen 3 songs by either Pete or Jason are superior to the originals I like them (All Of My Tears much less than the others).
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

The reworking of Take Your Time is great - he's added a great feel to it and it sounds fantastic and is better than the Forever Alien version
:shock: schoolboy error Runc! :lol:

... I didn't think that one was gonna go down too well Fede - playing with fire yourself eh?

Personally I rather like it, but agree that it could have done with some more new material

Looking forward to the bristol/london and (hopefully) brighton gigs - tickets came today :D
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Even I fucking love this album!
Not digging the negatories dude.

Something very ritualistically soily with this album...feels steady/rooty like it's been or the songs have been about for ages (in the form found on this album) and yes they have but it's fresh as a bluebell everytime i remember to lift it from the driver-side "dookit" and pop in the cd player.
Blinding album...should've put it (plus a few others) in runci's "...of 2008" thread but forget along with A&E but then get to sound off my excitedgratitude in other threads.

Well done PK and are there any weirdy spaceshipp taking off-esque outtakes available?

Best

stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nasty wrote:
The reworking of Take Your Time is great - he's added a great feel to it and it sounds fantastic and is better than the Forever Alien version
:shock: schoolboy error Runc! :lol:
Oops. Sorry - corrected. :roll:
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Hi Nasty
Could you please pass on a bit more info on the Bristol gig please? Ta
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Hi Nasty
Hi

Gig is at The Croft on 25/2 (oh, my mum's bday and mine just mins away...),

"Spectrum & Sonic Boom performing Spaceman 3 set. 8 pm, £8.75 inc b.fee ..." and i got mine i think from bristol ticket shop.

No ideal about support, none mentioned.

Cheers, nick
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

cheers Nasty
Gonna try and make the trip up from cornwall for this
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Hi folks!

Thank u for your answers... I know that this isn't the right topic, but I'd like to know if you 've got any news about the new Spectrum album?? I remember that it should to arrive soon...

I'm impatient to listen it!!!

Fede
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

nasty wrote:
Hi Nasty
Hi

Gig is at The Croft on 25/2 (oh, my mum's bday and mine just mins away...),

"Spectrum & Sonic Boom performing Spaceman 3 set. 8 pm, £8.75 inc b.fee ..." and i got mine i think from bristol ticket shop.

No ideal about support, none mentioned.

Cheers, nick
That's my birthday! :D :D :D :D :D

Just got tickets from Bristol Ticket Shop.

Made my fuckin' day that has.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Recording of "..Johnny Ace" at rehearsals in Brooklyn last year apparently:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=motzb0clkEw
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

That's funny, because it always sounded to me like the Captain Memphis songs were recorded separately from Sonic's.

These photos of Spectrum from the NY APT in 2008 are also nice: http://tim-underwood.com/main.php?show=ATP_Spectrum

Sonic looks freakishly young, like an indie rock Dorian Grey.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dunno about freakishly young but he's becoming more & more alien like.

As for that version of Johnny Ace i assume it was rehearsals for the New York ATP last year. Listening to Sonic's take on the vocals i can easily imagine Jason, with the relatively new-found gruffness in his voice, having a go at it too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mind Expansion are releasing 1000 copies of this on coloured vinyl 12" early next year according to their news page:
http://www.mindexpansionrecords.com/ :D