NewSpectrum compilation

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

NewSpectrum compilation

Post by Guest »

A Spectrum compilation titled Refractions is scheduled forrelease in July if we areto believe Amazon.co.uk...
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Spaceagerecordings newsletter dated 25 May says only "Spectrum Compilation: The alter ego of Pete Kember (Experimental Audio Research and Spacemen 3) with some of his finest and hardest to find work."

http://www.spaceagerecordings.com

has anyone heard the Kember remix of Longstone?

Post by Guest »

I found the tracklisting on Onino.com. Here goes:

1. True Love Will Find You In The End
2. All Night Long
3. Indian Summer
4. Angel
5. California Lullaby
6. How You Satisfy Me
7. Help Me Please
8. Feels Like I'm Slipping Away
9. Owsley
10. Undo The Taboo
11. I Know They Say
12. I Love You To The Moon And Back

A great package of "hits" then, listed for release on July 26. Nice to see this stuff available again. Love to see the new Telescopes compilation "Altered Perception" as well...
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Can't wait to hear his cover of "All Night Long" by Lionel Ritchie too !!
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I have all those. Shame there's no Go To Sleep.
spacey

comp

Post by spacey »

shame they dont re-release ''highs, lows... and heavenly blows'' either... i'd prefer that than a 'greatest hits' type comp like this... as ive got the majority of stuff on this, ahh well
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

It would be great if Sonic reissued all his albums. I'm sure that there are plenty people who would love to get hold of Spectrum, Soul Kiss or Highs, Lows... but can't track them down. I got them years ago in the Napster heydays, but I'd still jump at the chance to buy reissues. I guess Silvertone own the rights to them or something like that.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Bought Spectrum and Soul Kiss on vinyl when they first came out. Yes, you are right about Silvertone.

What Came Before After I got on Sympathy For The Record Industry. Got mine through American Paperbacks via Amazon.
spacey

highs lows

Post by spacey »

ive picked up most things, but most of the copies of ''highs, lows'' (even tho it was from 1994ish wasnt it?!?! have been fetching £30+ which i cant afford for a standard cd album!
Neil
Known user

Post by Neil »

If you live near London then Soul Kiss and High's and Lows regually turn up in Reckless Records in Berwick Street on CD for about 8 quid I've seen a few copies in there over the last 6 months, there was a copy of Highs and Lows in there 2 weeks ago for 8 quid.
spacey

dahn sarf

Post by spacey »

OOH i dont live in landan unfortunately (up norf) but yeh ive been in that shop a few times i'll have to keep an eye out next time i visit the smoke as it were
J SpaceDan
Known user

Post by J SpaceDan »

I've just completed an interview with Sonic for a new magazine/fanzine I'm writing for. Talking about 'Refractions', he said the following:

'Frankly, it wasn’t my idea, but SpaceAge were wanting to put out a comp before the individual LPs.'

... which seems to suggest that the other albums will be reissued in the future ...
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

J SpaceDan, don't forget to inform us when that interview will be properly issued!
:o
Ian

Post by Ian »

That's superb news! When I spoke to Sonic about this about five years ago, the albums seemed to be in some kind of limbo with Silvertone - they wouldn't re-release them, but wouldn't let anyone else either. It's great if they're coming out again.

I'm also glad to hear that Refractions wasn't Pete's idea. Quality of the music not withstanding, it does seem a little... pointless.

Love,

Ian
J SpaceDan
Known user

Post by J SpaceDan »

Yeah, I'll post a message up here when the magazine's out. It's quite a small-scale amateur job but we're looking into distributing it throughout Britain. Either way, I'll make sure the interview's readily available to fans; I can post it up here if need be (tho not until the magazine's come out...)
Dan
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I hold Silvertone in extremely low esteem for their relationship with Pete.

To say they stopped supporting him as an act is more than an understatement. I recall the 'Highs, Lows' tour, and I went to a gig in New Cross where Spectrum ripped the place to shreds with both soft lulls and screeching psych drone. It was an extraordinary night for anyone who attended and I have very warm memories. And the album the tour was in support of? Ah - it had been deleted already by Silvertone who pressed a paltry quantity and then sort of retired it within a few weeks. At that point I had a pretty friendly relationship with Pete as he supplied me with a marvellous array of Spacemen and related things for Runcible Records to sell and I saw him probably every 2 or 3 weeks for more stuff to sell. Yet I myself was without a copy of 'Highs, Lows', a situation I found utterly unbelievable considering Pete used to supply many incredibly rare bits and pieces as well as current stuff. As far as I could see Silvertone simply left him to gradually run of momentum in their eyes and I was really disgusted by their actions. When you think they went all out to provide the sometimes madly extravagant packaging, to drop him like a stone was insulting and very unprofessional. Why bother even releasing the thing of that was how they were going to behave?

A reissue would be a welcome tribute to a most underrated album.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I remember going to pick up my copy on the day of release and how disappointed I was with the packaging, not even an inner sleeve. In my opinion this is a somewhat overlooked album, the content is excellent and a well put together re-release would be most welcome. Correct me if I'm wrong here Runcible but wasn't another lavish sleeve in the pipeline until Silvertone started to pull the plug?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You got it. It was meant to be in what was described as a 'stained glass window' sleeve. If the previous releases are anything to go by it would have been good.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

On the CD, if you read the small print down the bottom, there's a reference to a track called "In the fullness of time". Did this only appear on the vinyl or did it just get left off the final album?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Jasonsmith wrote:On the CD, if you read the small print down the bottom, there's a reference to a track called "In the fullness of time". Did this only appear on the vinyl or did it just get left off the final album?
It's on the Undo The Taboo single.

Love,

Ian
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

'Take Me Away' is an incredible song. Very similar to 'Lord Can You Hear Me', yes, but I reckon it's just as good if not better. I wonder if Sonic wrote it as a kind of tribute to one of his favourite tracks by Jason?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I did encourage Pete to contribute something to this thread - he simply said that what I'd said about Silvertone was pretty much what happened. Dunno about the rest.