Spectrum "forever alien" track lyric

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

art000
New user

Spectrum "forever alien" track lyric

Post by art000 »

Hi everyone! i'd to know the lyrics of forever alien track. I'm french and my english isn t good. thanks . best regards
Ian
Known user

Re: Spectrum "forever alien" track lyric

Post by Ian »

Sometimes I think I wasn’t made for this life
What becomes of people like me? People who don’t fit in
How can a darkness so deep within be part of me?
What happens to those alienated by society?
How can I endure an existence this painful that [hurts?] my feelings?
Where is the small piece of human truth that can make sense of this confusion?

And then in the background, in no particular order:

Walking
Falling
Finding no way out
Dreaming
Trying to find reason for existence
Sleeping
Where does it end?
Desperate
Dissolving
Lost
Searching
Talking
Waiting
Weeping
Black
Distance
Shadows
Hoping

I hadn't listened to Forever Alien for at least four years before digging it out to transcribe that. It was a lot better than I remembered... Time to give the album another go...

Love,

Ian
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

Ian wrote: I hadn't listened to Forever Alien for at least four years before digging it out to transcribe that. It was a lot better than I remembered... Time to give the album another go...
Although I bought it when it came out most of my listens are after my last post as appledelphy when i posted "the third spectrum album? I´d rather play the spectrum and silver apples EP three times in a row..." and Pete commented and I felt awkward for not listening to it enough :oops: so now I´ve listened to it more in the last two years than I did the previous eight years.. I like it better now than ten years ago.

I think you missed "waking, loosing, listening, aching, smiling"

then at 3:40+ theres something like "the noise of the mind - silent heart" ?

appledelphy/scratch
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Forever Alien is a slow burner (for me anyways) took me about 5/6 years to really give it the attention it needs/deserves now i think its one of the best things Sonics done Vinyl is excellent too
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I had the opposite reaction. I initially was really taken with the depth of sounds in the production and I liked the new version of How Does It Feel.

After awhile though the lack of songs started bothering me, and some tracks had painfully awkward lyrics. Especially the title track. It sounds like something a morose high school kid would right on the back of a notebook. And not in a good way.

And Owsley... ugh. And the Atlantis one, or whichever track is the reading from some famous poet/writer. Horrible, horrible stuff.
burst
Known user

Post by burst »

flamingrev wrote: It sounds like something a morose high school kid would right on the back of a notebook.
Speaking of which - did your school teach you to spell when you were a 'morose high school kid'? Classic stuff! Seriously though - a good op for your regular Sonic Boom bashing column, eh rev?
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Oh no, I misspelled a word! How terribly embarrassing.

I like a lot of what Sonic has done, and I don't mean to come across as constantly negative. A big part of this is simply because I really love parts of his career and for awhile now it seems that there's either a lot of unrealized potential or he's already peaked and it's coasting time. But that's just from my point of view, which isn't really significant. As an artist, I'm glad that he's able to devote his life to what he loves and it doesn't really matter whether I like it or not. I've got my fingers crossed for the next Spectrum album and I will buy it the day it comes out.

It's the same thing with Mercury Rev. Like a friend that you really wish would get his shit together and apply himself, but, well, maybe that friend is happy living his life and should be left to do his thing.

Still, it is a forum and some people are going to like _______, and some people are going to bitch about it. If we all liked the same thing it would be a dull world.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

flamingrev wrote:Oh no, I misspelled a word! How terribly embarrassing.
I think it was because the error occured in the context of the 'school kid' thing that's caused amusement, and it made me smile too I must admit...

You must admit you do like to criticise Pete, from the stuff he sells to the music he makes. If that's what you think then fine, but generally speaking most of what people discuss here is about music they do like rather than stuff they don't. Sure some new releases (currently Verve's new album) causes debate/disagreement but slagging off an old album for the sake of it is less stimulating in my opinion.

Anyway, for those that have been playing Indian Giver, Pete has made a genuinely enjoyable album and one of the releases of the year. It sounds like he's got his shit together as far as I'm concerned, and the Spectrum set I saw in June was really superb.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I don't know if I LIKE to criticize him, but I admit that I do with some regularity. In this case, I hadn't thought about the lyrics to Forever Alien in a loooong time, and reading them made me think about it so I wrote about it. There may be more stimulating posts on this board, but that doesn't really worry me.

Believe me, I'm hoping the new Spectrum album will generate some praise from me. I think my expectations are realistic, and I know that the old boy still has it in him.
vejtables
Known user

Post by vejtables »

i really, really dig forever alien. it's got to be one of the druggiest records ever. druggy enough where you sorta get pulled into sonic's magick bunny rabbit hole of sounds type thing. it's really too bad that forever alian is so underappreciated. it's difficult to believe they only pressed 1000 records and 2000 cds. it is quite unique. the stuff he was doing around that time is extraordinary..living sound (jessamine), imajinary friends and silver apples collaborations. i still love highs and soul kiss etc, but (after dreamweapon) the nicest high i get is from forever alien (unless it's a sunny warm afternoon, then i'll take highs, or maybe to go to sleep i'll take soul kiss). anyway, i came across this song on youtoob and the synths kinda reminded me of the intensity of say owsley/pox on you. the vocals are pretty genesis throbbing gristle/early warsaw ian curtis ("post")punk, but the intensity is certainly quite coolpsychedelic :shock: . good stuff from san francisco.....you'd think pete was playing his oscar to this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVy_ZaBR ... re=related (play very loud) i really, really wish pete would play some more songs off his four records (although his sets are pretty nice still!). much of that shit he's not playing is the most sexxy, druggy, hypnotic, dirtiest, and therapeutic psycheDELiA i have ever heard..
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Surely they made more than 2000 of these.

I know there were two versions, one in a digipack with a couple of extra tracks, and a regular release in a jewel case. I think. Maybe the digipack was limited to 2000?

But I've seen this release used everywhere. I've probably stumbled across 15 or more used copies, and a lot of those were in Texas.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

flamingrev wrote: I know there were two versions, one in a digipack with a couple of extra tracks, and a regular release in a jewel case. I think. Maybe the digipack was limited to 2000?
My jewel case with yellow media tray has 13 songs/77.38 mins.
I believe I bought it fairly soon after it came out so I suspect it´s the regular release? what extra tracks are there on the digipack?
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Forever Alien [Spect. album]

LP Space Age September 1997
CD Space Age ORBIT 008CD August 1997
CD Reprise 9-46352-2 August 1997

Track Listing:

1. Feels Like I'm Slipping Away 5:32
2. The Stars Are So Far (How Does It Feel?) 7:01
3. Close Your Eyes and You'll See 6:03
4. Delia Derbyshire 4:29
5. Owsley 5:43
6. Forever Alien 4:26
7. Matrix 5:00
8. Like..... 5:09
9. The New Atlantis 5:29
10. The End 5:14
11. Sounds For A Thunderstorm (For Peter Zinovieff)* 5:02
12. Liquid Intentions* 14:56
13. Sine Study* 3:30

*Appear only on the Space Age Records release

Personnel:
Sonic Boom: EMS Synthi AKS and VCS3, OSCar, theremin, Serge Modular Music System, vocoder, and vocals
Alf Hardy: Voltage controlled synthesizers, vocoder, and vibraphone
Pete Bassman: Programming vibrations

The vinyl edition of the album is pressed on a special "glitter" vinyl material and is only limited to 100 copies or so.

The Reprise release further confuses the difference between "limited" and "unlimited" releases by releasing "limited" edition which is identical to their "unlimited" edition except that it comes in a digipak and cost four dollars more.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Liquid Intentions(clocked in at 5.47)
and Sine Study #1 (6.44) are both on the Owsley single too.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

flamingrev wrote:Forever Alien [Spect. album]

CD Space Age ORBIT 008CD August 1997
all good then.. I have the above - it´s a jewel case "made in france".. I was afraid I had a shorter version.