SPECTRUM return to the U.S. as a FULL BAND!

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

rubyrecluse
Known user

SPECTRUM return to the U.S. AS A FULL BAND!

Post by rubyrecluse »

SPECT​RUM will soon retur​n to the U.S. and Sonic​ Boom is bring​ing them as a FULL BAND!​
They will be playi​ng songs​ from both of the Spect​rum and Space​men 3 catal​ogs.​ They may also throw​ in a coupl​e new ones.​

U.S. Tour dates​ so far are as follo​ws:​

Sep 20 2008 8:​00P
The Zippe​r Facto​ry - with Dean & Britt​a New York,​ New York

Sep 21 2008 1:​00P
All Tomor​row’s​ Parti​es - New York Monti​cello​,​ New York

Sep 22 2008 8:​00P
The Dark Room Chica​go,​ Illin​ois

Sep 25 2008 8:​00P
The Midpo​int Festi​val Cinci​natti​,​ Ohio

Sep 26 2008 8:​00P
East End Portl​and,​ Orego​n

Sep 27 2008 8:​00P
The Hemlo​ck San Franc​isco,​ Calif​ornia​

Sep 28 2008 8:​00P
The Echo Los Angel​es,​ Calif​ornia​
rubyrecluse
Known user

SPECTRUM return to the U.S. as a FULL BAND!

Post by rubyrecluse »

SPECT​RUM will soon retur​n to the U.S. and Sonic​ Boom is bring​ing them as a FULL BAND!​
They will be playi​ng songs​ from both of the Spect​rum and Space​men 3 catal​ogs.​ They may also throw​ in a coupl​e new ones.​

Sep 20 2008 8:​00P
The Zippe​r Facto​ry - with Dean & Britt​a New York,​ New York

All Tomor​row’s​ Parti​es - New York Monti​cello​,​ New York

Sep 22 2008 8:​00P
The Dark Room Chica​go,​ Illin​ois

Sep 25 2008 8:​00P
The Midpo​int Festi​val Cinci​natti​,​ Ohio

Sep 26 2008 8:​00P

Sep 27 2008 8:​00P
The Hemlo​ck San Franc​isco,​ Calif​ornia​

Sep 28 2008 8:​00P
The Echo Los Angel​es,​ Calif​ornia​
shalloboi
Known user

Re: SPECTRUM return to the U.S. AS A FULL BAND!

Post by shalloboi »

i'll add that date to the long list of amazing shows i'm going to be missing while my band is out on tour- mogwai, sigur ros, sian alice group/a place to bury strangers and now spectrum. fuck... at least we'll be back for mbv and nick cave.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

rubyrecluse wrote: Sep 26 2008 8:​00P

​
This is great! Full band too. Even better! Thank you, thank you Pete.

I was just at East End the other night and saw the flyer on the wall. That made my night. The East End is tiny....I mean REAL tiny. We are talking, if you are more than 5 or 10 feet back from the band you can't see a thing (I'll get there early!). But they put on some good shows and it's always a good night out.
flamingrev
Known user

Re: SPECTRUM return to the U.S. as a FULL BAND!

Post by flamingrev »

DAmn!!!

Every single time I have had a chance to see Spectrum, something else is going on at the same time. In this case, I've already got tix to see Mission Of Burma.

Fuck, fuck fuck. I saw Sonic doing the EAR thing before, but I would love to catch him doing a proper rock show.

Maybe next time? :x
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Who's in the band?
Chaza
Known user

Post by Chaza »

I'll be at the Zipper Factory show for sure. I was hoping that they'd be opening for MBV at Roseland, but I guess not.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The key members are Rupert Bowkett and (obviously) Pete Kember I believe. I can't say for sure about the rhythm section but Pete's worked with a few different musicians as Spectrum members recently and it's been successful. But Rupert's inclusion on guitar will make a real impact as the guy is seriously talented.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

rubyrecluse wrote:SPECT​RUM will soon retur​n to the U.S. and Sonic​ Boom is bring​ing them as a FULL BAND!​

All Tomor​row’s​ Parti​es - New York Monti​cello​,​ New York​
Spectrum's set from NY-ATP this coming Sunday 21st Sept should be broadcast live on WFMU:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/09/w ... casti.html
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Saw the full band twice this year (Sonic cathedral & Truck fest)
Kills me to say it but 2 very ropey gigs, Pete seems to have lost any all stage craft he may have had (which was never very much)
It reminded me of the last time I saw Spectrum as a full band about 10 years ago at Newcastle Riverside, Pete spent the whole gig starting and stopping tracks & complaining of "Too much echo in the monitors" which apparently he'd asked for in sound check anyway lol.
But...in the few moments the band did actually get going at the gigs I saw this year it was lovely, just a shame the whole gig couldn't have been more like that.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I was at Spectrum's Portland gig last night. Great show. The East End is a tiny venue where maybe 50 people actually makes it feel crowded. There were probably 100-200 there. Hard to say because I parked myself at the front eager to see the full band. Some technical difficulties (as always), which meant Pete didn't use the keyboard until 'Suicide'. Anyway, some good hard rocking came out of the band and they seemed to really enjoy themselves. Set was short, about an hour but still great to see Pete with a band. Merchandise being sold included a black Spectrum t-shirt and a black and silver S3 shirt.

Set List included:

Transparent Radiation
When Tomorrow Hits
Revolution
Suicide
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

looking forward to sunday's gig in LA. Hope the set is more than those 4 songs....
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

porkchop wrote:looking forward to sunday's gig in LA. Hope the set is more than those 4 songs....
He played about 7 songs in Portland. Interestingly the setlist had about 10 or 12 songs on it but he played fewer. Possibly because of the technical difficulties? 'Mary Anne' was listed as opening song but they opened with 'Transparent'. I only listed the S3 songs he played because I thought people would be interested in those particular songs in the setlist.

How was LA gig?
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

You sure it wasn't Mary for the first number. It's on the Indian Giver lp and Sonic was dedicating it to Mary Hampson who was in Stereolab but died in a bike accident. He opened with it at the Roundhouse and Sonic Cathedral. Have to say i agree with you about the amount of technical problems - the sonic cathedral show was very disjointed but amazing when they got going. Unfortunately it seemed to make it difficult to hold the crowd between tracks with so much tinkering. It seems perfectionism for sound transfers to the stage.
feetsies
Known user

Post by feetsies »

I was in San Francisco and didn't get back to LA until like 8pm and was too tired to go. Anyone go to the Echo?
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

The Echo was real fun. LSD and the Search for God were awesome. Spectrum didn't go on til 1am and were really on. To hear Mary live(meaning real drums bass and guitar) was great. How you Satisfy me was a highlight as well as The Red Krayola's War Sucks. The light show was cool as well. Looking forward to seeing them open for the Valentines in the coming days. :mrgreen:
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

feetsies wrote:I was in San Francisco and didn't get back to LA until like 8pm and was too tired to go. Anyone go to the Echo?
Sure did. Terrific show... I forget just how brutal of a rhythm guitar player Sonic is. Set list went something like:

Mary
Transparent Radiation
Set Me Free
How You Satisfy Me
When Tomorrow Hits
Revolution
War Sucks
Suicide

...but I think I'm missing a couple.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Nah, I think you got it right Chris. It was rad. I didn't recognize War Sucks at first and was freaking out that it was new....ha...still was awesome though. See you at the Valentines! --Bo

http://www.myspace.com/oldtoytrains
DriftedAway
New user

Post by DriftedAway »

I just saw Spectrum last night (5/7/09) at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. The setlist was:

Mary
Transparent Radiation
Set Me Free
How You Satisfy Me
Che
When Tomorrow Hits
Revolution
War Sucks
Suicide

Excellent show! Sonic looks to be in great shape and really poured a lot of energy into his performance. Easily the best of the 3 times I've seen Sonic.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=248468

Spectrum
2009-05-07
Great American Music Hall
San Francisco CA

taper: lammah
equipment: Sonic Studios DSM-6/L > Edirol R-09HR
editing: Adobe Audition (normalization|limiter on clapping|48/32 to 44.1/16) >
CD Wave (tracksplits) > FLAC(6)

tracklist:

00 - soundchecking 3:29
01 - Mary 9:41
02 - Transparent Radiation 7:23
03 - Set Me Free 7:38
04 - How You Satisfy Me 6:10
05 - Ché 6:01
06 - When Tomorrow Hits 7:20
07 - Revolution 12:23
08 - War Sucks [Red Crayola] 7:46
09 - Suicide 22:04

TOTAL: 89:59

Another outing from Peter Kember and the boys. First time at the GAMH for me, if
you can believe it! Great-looking place with a stage not too high up, so you feel
like you're right there.

Apparently, he had a sore throat and was losing his voice, so he had throat spray
right up on stage and was using it copiously. Music to take sore throat spray to
listen to music to.

Got almost all of the Spectrum set, ran out of battery the last couple of minutes
but got almost all of the feedback freakout at the end of Suicide.

Killer set otherwise, you won't be disappointed.

I taped both openers, though the Dora Flood set apparently got written over. There
was one other taper lurking about, who may have taped this.

The Entrance Band set I have...their first song was amazing, but it then descended
to a bit of a Hendrix power trio-jamband thing, others enjoyed it but not 100% my cup
of tea. At one point the singer, some guy dressed all in white, decided to soak in a
bit of Spectrum and stood in the audience right in front of us, which was cool.

REMEMBER:

* Leveraging this recording for material gain is seriously uncool.
* I'm okay with MP3 transcodes (not on DIME of course) as long as this info file is
kept and/or reference to the original DIME URL is retained.
* Enjoy the music!

lammah
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

San Diego setlist (might have switched a few songs around, this is going off memory):
Mary
Transparent Radiation
How You Satisfy Me
Set Me Free
When Tomorrow Hits
Revolution
War Sucks
Suicide

It was nice to see Pete complete with his 5 minute breaks between each song ("can I get less high end in my monitor?"). The Casbah is a small venue, so it was loud. Despite wearing earplugs, my ears were still ringing when I woke up this morning. The song that stuck out the most to me was "When Tomorrow Hits." It blew me away.

PS: I forgot to mention that the end of When Tomorrow Hits included the echo-drenched guitar part (performed here as a sample) from "How Does it Feel" which threw me into a frenzy. Alas, the sample ended as soon as the song did and there was a 6-minute break for tuning and monitor-checking.
ThiefofFire
Known user

Post by ThiefofFire »

Set Me Free was before How You Satisfy Me but otherwise that's right toomilk... 'Che' was written in on the setlist but didn't get played. The setlist also had specific instructions for each song like '(minimal build, slide up towards end)' for Set Me Free. I had a great time seeing Spectrum for the first time... Sonic really seemed to be enjoying himself too and made lots of funny comments. I got to meet him briefly afterwards and got my setlist signed by him and Jason 8)