Spacemen 3 - DJ Tones

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

nickh
Known user

Spacemen 3 - DJ Tones

Post by nickh »

Spacemen 3 - DJ Tones: http://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/12/147/- ... type=genre

I have to say I am thrilled to bits about this release but I thought the Spacemen archive was pretty much exhausted??
supershonn
Known user

Re: Spacemen 3 - DJ Tones

Post by supershonn »

thanks for the heads up, can anyone shed some light on this release? chris b.?

me
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

This looks like a boot with tracks off of Sonic's "How the blues..." comp.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No, this is a legit release, done through Third Stone. It features fully mastered tracks including the original These Blues. I didn't know it was that close to release but I knew it was in the pipeline.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

and you didn't say anything, what, kitties got your tongue.

thanks for the info i looked forward to getting this one.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

runcible wrote:No, this is a legit release, done through Third Stone. It features fully mastered tracks including the original These Blues. I didn't know it was that close to release but I knew it was in the pipeline.
The tracks on How The Blues Should've... weren't mastered?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The tracks on How The Blues came from a box of old cassettes Pete had in a cupboard. No master tapes in sight although some of the recordings will have come from masterered recordings I guess - the rest were scruffy lo-fi recordings that were polished up. He did a damn fine job of getting them to sound good. I am hoping These Blues will be from the actual master tape though as Third Stone must still have them.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I thought they were too. Hmmmmm...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

SPACE AGE (UK):

$16 SPACEMEN 3: DJ Tones CD (ORBIT 028CD). "Spacemen 3 have a limited edition (2000 copies) five track mini-album released by Space Age Recordings in cardboard sleeve wallet on October 20th which features two previously unreleased Spacemen 3 tracks, a radically different mix of the classic Spacemen 3 cover of the Red Krayola's 'Transparent Radiation' and appearing for the first time on CD, the ultra rare remix of 'I Love You' (originally only 50 promo white label vinyl copies were ever pressed). Rounding off this mini-album is a studio version of Ecstasy Symphony. Track listing: 'These Blues, 'Transparent Radiation (violin mix),' 'Modulated Tones,' 'I Love You (remix),' 'Ecstasy Symphony.' Spacemen 3 consisted of the core duo of Jason Pierce (Spiritualized) and Somic Boom a.k.a Peter Kember (Spectrum & E.A.R.) who formed the group in Rugby, Warwickshire, having met at art college. Other members of what would become a fluid lineup over the years included Pete Bain (Bassman, also of The Darkside), Natty Brooker, Sterling Roswell (Rosco), Will Carruthers, Jonny Mattock (Slipstream), and for the final few shows, Mark Refoy (also of Slipstream). From the outset Spacemen 3 had a very defined set of aesthetic principles. They based almost their entire sound on their own concept of minimalism - droning guitars, feedback, as few chords as possible, pounding drums - with their motto 'Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to.' Their minimalism bled into their stage show as well. Sitting down to play their guitars and covered in the spinning colours of a cheap psychedelic light show, their stage 'act' was very anti-performance. Another striking aspect of Spacemen 3 was their willingness to cover and share their influences. Song titles, lyrics and interviews were peppered with references to bands and artists they believed shared their 'minimal is maximal' aesthetic. The Velvet Underground, the Rolling Stones, the Stooges, the MC5, early Captain Beefheart, free jazz musician Sun Ra, the Silver Apples, 1960's garage punk such as the 13th Floor Elevators, Red Krayola, the Electric Prunes, the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean and other surf bands, 1980's rockabilly groups the Cramps, the Gun Club, Tav Falco, blues and gospel acts like Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, the Staple Singers and John Lee Hooker, and the production techniques of Joe Meek, Brian Wilson and Delia Derbyshire were just some of the names mentioned by the band."
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Hey look! There's still something in this barrel...

Scrape, scrape, scrape!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I didn't realise you had the I Love You remix on an official CD flamingrev.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I never said that I did, or that I want it much. "I Love You" is probably one of my least favorite Spacemen songs.

I'm sure Sonic's got shoeboxes filled with remixes, demos, alternate takes, and rehearsals that he will dribble out for the rest of his life.

And more power to him. I'm not bitching or complaining, I know there are a lot of folks that will really enjoy this release and so it's a win/win situation. It just kinda cracks me up to see another Spacemen 3 scrapings release. The same way that I love looking at all of the many (many, many, many) Stooges outtakes CDs littering their bin in stores. I don't buy them, but they are fun (and completely extraneous).
burst
Known user

Post by burst »

I Love You is an amazing song - one of Sonic Boom's finest. And I've got a scratchy 7" of this so I'm well pleased it's going to be released properly. It's a legendary collectors item so this is good stuff isn't it?
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Okay, when I get home I'm going to give I Love You another shot.

I really don't get the love, but I know that part of the problem is I focus too much on the lyrics of that song.

Will report back later with my findings.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

haha, i found it funny!

but i say keep them coming. PLEASE.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

flamingrev wrote:Okay, when I get home I'm going to give I Love You another shot.

I really don't get the love, but I know that part of the problem is I focus too much on the lyrics of that song.

Will report back later with my findings.
It's a fantastic track in my opinion. The little flute solo at the end is lovely. But the 12" remix is fucking amazing - I'm so pleased it's coming out on CD. Pete's 2 'new' tracks on Recurring - I Love You and Set Me Free (which remains one of the Spacemen's greatest moments) - are both excellent in fact.
spacemanT
Known user

Post by spacemanT »

All in all a pretty poor release to be honest, a misleading type of title,as it is not a DJ tool in any shape or form ie: neither big tunes or elements of tracks etc... and does anyone really need another Ecstacy Symphony ? Worth it maybe for the I love you remix . I'm sure there is better gems to keep us happy with.
SpacemanT
Music - Keep it Future Proof - Keep it Lossless
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You don't like hearing the original version of These Blues, finally getting a full release? That's surprising. Worth the price on it's own, as is the I Love You remix which finally has a CD release. I classify both of those as 'big tunes'!

I know there was considerable discussion as to what went on this EP and I like it for the main 2 tracks. I think the acid tabs artwork is really amusing too. It's not full price and forms a fairly important piece of the Spacemen jigsaw in my opinion. I agree about Ecstasy Symphony though - I love that track but one version is probably enough.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Guys,
Calm down, eh,
Where do you buy/download this thing?
I want it.

Thanks,
Dave
spacemanT
Known user

Post by spacemanT »

Yep I agree These blues is good, I'm also fortunate enough to have had the " I Love you remix" since it came out. I bought mine here. http://www.adasam.plus.com/spaceage/idx1.htm
SpacemanT
Music - Keep it Future Proof - Keep it Lossless
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

that i love you remix is complete bobbins, it's just the echo phaser sound off big city, you might as well not bother if you've got the big city 12 " which is vastly superior
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Can't agree with you there. I think the remix is superior to the original Recurring version and I've often wondered why it has taken so long to get it released properly.

Just like the original These Blues is better than the Pure Phase version.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

runcible wrote:
Just like the original These Blues is better than the Pure Phase version.
If it's the version off "How The Blues Should've Turned Out" then it's pretty much the definitive version as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who doesn't have that album should buy this just for that tune if nothing else. It's a belter.
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

Tremendous release as far as i'm concerned. what a version of these Blues, superb, never heard it b4. Also the sonic I love you track, highly recommeded release if you don't already own these 2 records :D
Taiwan Beer
Known user

Post by Taiwan Beer »

the shadow wrote:Tremendous release as far as i'm concerned. what a version of these Blues, superb, never heard it b4. Also the sonic I love you track, highly recommeded release if you don't already own these 2 records :D

Can't agree enough, mate. It's genius - but then Spacemen 3 = genius. 8)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Just received mine. Not only is it great, its essential to those Spacemen 3 completists. Ties up some pretty rare loose ends.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Mine turned up a couple of days ago and I am thrilled to finally have These Blues. I think I bought a copy of the I Love You remix from Runcible which would have been sold on in the big clearout of 97 (regrets, I have a few).

Any news on These Blues, when was this recorded, personnel etc?
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Maybe someone can upload it as it's limited release and will sell out anyway.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

But its not sold out now.
And given the more reasonable exchange rate its not that expensive.
and as they used to say, Home Taping Is Killing Music.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

bought it and waiting.. tapping on my desk everyday....

M
Design.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote:Mine turned up a couple of days ago and I am thrilled to finally have These Blues. I think I bought a copy of the I Love You remix from Runcible which would have been sold on in the big clearout of 97 (regrets, I have a few).

Well it's part of the Recurring sessions, and I'm assuming this is really just a demo, but what an amazingly delicate feel it has. So it'll be the final line-up - Jason, Mark Refoy, Will, Jon. Maybe Steve Evans in there too. I'm pretty sure Pete doesn't feature on any of Jason's Recurring songs.

For those of us who struggled with the hissy cassette version this is a major triumph to have the real thing at last.

By the way Nick what did you get for your I Love You remix? We used to sell them for £50 but I reckon £150 these days would be a minimum.

And come on Dave - you cheeky bugger - just buy it. It's not expensive! I thought it was just a few folks on the BJM board who request uploads as soon as something is released rather than this forum! The cover is groovy too.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:
nickh wrote:Mine turned up a couple of days ago and I am thrilled to finally have These Blues. I think I bought a copy of the I Love You remix from Runcible which would have been sold on in the big clearout of 97 (regrets, I have a few).

Well it's part of the Recurring sessions, and I'm assuming this is really just a demo, but what an amazingly delicate feel it has. So it'll be the final line-up - Jason, Mark Refoy, Will, Jon. Maybe Steve Evans in there too. I'm pretty sure Pete doesn't feature on any of Jason's Recurring songs.

For those of us who struggled with the hissy cassette version this is a major triumph to have the real thing at last..
These Blues does sound a little more like a Spiritualized record rather than a Spaceman record so I guess that all adds up.

[/quote]By the way Nick what did you get for your I Love You remix? We used to sell them for £50 but I reckon £150 these days would be a minimum.[/quote]

I don't think I even got what I paid you for it Mark, I was pretty desperate at the time and had to take what I could. Like I say, regretful now.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Runcible, please don't compare me to a BJM fan! Those are freaks! I don't collect CDs, have a CD player besides the one on my computer, and think I already have most of these songs. I'd like to hear them though, I'll see if Pete will be willing to let us listen via his MySpace page when it sells out or I'll try to find it in the USA somewhere.

Thanks for your opinions of me, I really appreciate hearing what you think.

Isn't this the same Ecstasy Symphony I already bought from Forged Prescriptions?

EDIT: Listen here http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=139659
After listening to these samples I have determined that I already have similar versions of these songs.
Thanks.

Dave
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Is this the same as i love you (remix, battery studios by anjali dutt) (recurring sessions)?
https://rcpt.yousendit.com/624217387/1b ... 6b38bade5b
For your pleasure..
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

dselevan2 wrote:Runcible, please don't compare me to a BJM fan! Those are freaks! I don't collect CDs, have a CD player besides the one on my computer, and think I already have most of these songs. I'd like to hear them though, I'll see if Pete will be willing to let us listen via his MySpace page when it sells out or I'll try to find it in the USA somewhere.
You never cease to puzzle me Dave.

Initially you said:
dselevan2 wrote:Where do you buy/download this thing?
I want it.
Then you said:
dselevan2 wrote: Maybe someone can upload it as it's limited release and will sell out anyway.
Am I going to call you out for requesting someone upload an official and easily obtained release? You bet I am. That's genuine bootlegging in my opinion. Sharing live shows, out of print and obscure rarities, and even sneak previews of new releases before they come out is acceptable as far as I'm concerned. But not uploading a legitimate release. Why not stop buying music altogether and get everything from Soulseek?

The BJM comparison was merely because as soon as any official BJM comes out someone on their message board asks for it to be uploaded to save them money. I think that's out of line and you've pretty much done that here.

As for what I think of you... well, you are the one calling me a freak - I happen to be a huge BJM fan so I guess that lumps me in with all the other freaks!

BTW yes it is the same version of I Love You you've linked to here. And the version of These Blues is the same as the one on How The Blues too. Both essential in my opinion - others seem to agree for the most part too.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

You see I'm not trying to, "save money" but I already have these recordings and they've already been available to anyone on this message board. I posted the Recurring Sessions a long time ago.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dselevan2 wrote:You see I'm not trying to, "save money" but I already have these recordings and they've already been available to anyone on this message board. I posted the Recurring Sessions a long time ago.
voila! you already have them. end of story.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Here's a blog that has a link to a download of How The Blues Should've Turned Out:

http://revolution9.blogs.se/2008/10/15/ ... ut-4872993

It's only a 128 rip, but it should satisfy anyone who hasn't had the inclination to sort out bit-torrents and such.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Although I already had all these tracks on either the How The Blues....CD and the Moroccan Mayhem 7", and as much as I would have preferred Modulated Tones & Transparent Radiation (Violins) to have been included on Forged Prescriptions, and These Blues & I Love You (Remix) to have been on a Recurring Deluxe reissue double CD, I still bought DJ Tones and am glad that I did. I would also recommend that everybody else who's interested buys it as well.

For a start it's only 6 quid from Spaceage Recordings, and for obvious reasons already mentioned previously, all the tracks sound far better on this than any other release. More importantly, any profit going to Spaceage may mean we get the new Spectrum CD sooner, or that the previous Spectrum albums are reissued. Maybe some other Spacemen 3 stuff will come out - hopefully that Recurring Deluxe double CD!

That's how it works.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

that Recurring Double cd is really cheap on ebay right now.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

ABOCA wrote:More importantly, any profit going to Spaceage may mean we get the new Spectrum CD sooner, or that the previous Spectrum albums are reissued. Maybe some other Spacemen 3 stuff will come out - hopefully that Recurring Deluxe double CD!

That's how it works.
Ugh. Agreed. I'm all for supporting artists, I spent a lot of money at Sonic's merch stand when they played with MBV, I bought a couple shirts for my friends and other items. The shirt I got doesn't fit great, but I'm glad to give Sonic the $20. He's a good guy and deserves to make money, I just wanted to see if I'd be buying something I already had (in a similar format), when I don't have a CD collection(so I wouldn't appreciate the nice packaging). That's all! I've been trying to buy some stuff that I already have digitally in a nicer format. I contacted Pete a few months ago to see if I could buy the Spacelines comp off him on vinyl, since it's so great, but unfortunately it's out of print. I see what you guys are saying about how lame it is to share things that are readily available for purchase, I just have many similar tracks to these already and wanted to make sure I wasn't buying them again. It's common practice to allow people to preview a song before buying it these days, I don't consider that bootlegging, and actually found a site that lets you preview 3 songs before buying them. I was just hoping for some clarification, which I got!

Thank you all very much for clearing that up for me!!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

You guys really like this remix better than the Recurring version? I just downloaded the song I previously uploaded, it's cool, just doesn't grab me the way the bassline on Recurring did.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Not necessarily better, but a great version in my opinion.

There's no question that These Blues is the greatest version though. No matter how hard Jason tries he can never improve on any Spacemen 3 rework he's done in the studio. I don't think All Of My Tears was a successful cover but the others are pretty decent. It's just hard to improve on what was already close to perfection.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Runcible you might have me sold on getting the CD for These Blues - all I have is that low fi sample on the website I posted before. Look forward to hearing the new old version.

I was never really into the Spiritualized covers of Spacemen 3 songs (I thought it was funny that some Spacemen 3 songs were covered by the Spacemen 3)...but there was something nice about the dynamic of These Blues and All My Tears on Pure Phase. As individual tracks they may not be as good as the Spacemen 3 versions but that album really needs to be played from beginning to end.

It's funny how many versions of Walkin With Jesus they did......
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Yeah, as much as I love the song, I would be fine if they dropped WWJ from the setlist for a long while.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

flamingrev wrote:Yeah, as much as I love the song, I would be fine if they dropped WWJ from the setlist for a long while.
Not for me! I love the way he continually reworks it, always finding a new way to portray it's magic. The latest interpretation is one of his finest ever. I want him playing that song at every Spiritualized gig I go to.

My point earlier was about studio work on old songs - live he can do what he likes and I'd be very upset if he dropped Spacemen 3 songs from the live set. I'd like to bring more in actually - Feelin' Just Fine would be a welcome addition for instance.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hey Flamingrev, thanks for that link to How The Blues... Been trying to get a listen to this for a while. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I wasn't trying to ask them to take WWJ from the live set, I just think it's funny that I have it like 150 times on my computer over the span of almost every Spacemen 3 record. It's not like you can compare a version from 1986 to 1989 though, they were almost different songs. Like a Spacemen blues standard.

I'm starting to crave this DJ Tones version of These Blues more and more every day, I'm very close to ordering it.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

[quote="runcible]

My point earlier was about studio work on old songs - live he can do what he likes and I'd be very upset if he dropped Spacemen 3 songs from the live set. I'd like to bring more in actually - Feelin' Just Fine would be a welcome addition for instance.[/quote]

That song was incredible at the early SPZ shows. The bit at the end with the wahwah... fuck..!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

£6 for 5 tracks?? count me out
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Well previously if you wanted a decent sounding recording of I Love You it would cost you over £100 as the original 12" was pretty much the only way to get it. So that's £100 for ONE track.

Next up - Spectrum/Stereolab. One unreleased track on it. Cost price £1000+. Effectively for one track.

On a more minor basis the 1st Harmony Rockets album had one track on it. £10 was what the rate was, and worth every penny.

I can't really see the point you're making here ben. For me it's £6 for some fantastic music.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

it comes down to how much you like the artist and how well you know them. there's a few i'd pay for but not that many :)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0312162347

Beatles rare White Album for sale on eBay
The Beatles Pic: PA Photos

The Beatles Pic: PA Photos

Lowest-numbered copy of legendary album hits the market

* Nov 14, 2008
* 0 Comments
* The Beatles news, reviews, video and tour dates
* Add The Beatles to MyNME

One of the earliest pressed copies of The Beatles[/a] 'White Album' has just gone for sale on eBay.

Copy number 0000005 is on for sale on the site, following on from the seminal record being given the Number One position in the '200 Rarest Records of All Time' by Record Collector magazine.

Copies numbered from 0000001 to 0000004 were given to the members
of The Beatles themselves, and have not yet emerged onto the market.

On November 22 it will be forty years since the 19 times platinum- selling album, which is actually officially called 'The Beatles', was released.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I paid $50 for that Harmony Rockets album a few years ago.

I think it is in print again now. What a great head fuck it is!!!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I see both points on the value argument. Runcible is right, based on the quality of the music alone, and the possibility that this will become a collectors item, it should retain its value or go up in value.

That said, I'm the kind of guy who will put my money on rare vinyl vs. rare CDs. Just a personal preference, I've never been able to keep a CD for any long period of time, but my vinyl collection has grown over the years. Even when I was living in a hotel at age 18 or 19 I had all my records with me. I don't even really count on my mp3 collection standing the test of time as I've had entire hard drives go bad on me.

If I saw this in the USA for USA dollars without having to pay for shipping I would consider buying it, but I currently only buy vinyl from overseas. It's really unlikely to stumble upon Spacemen 3 vinyl in a shop out here. Anyway, there have been way worse deals out there, this really isn't a rip off for something so limited if you don't already have these songs and you collect CDs. I really wouldn't mind having These Blues right now!
Dave
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

ATTENTION - YOU ARE ABOUT TO CHOKE.

you don't want to know, no, no, you do not, no please do not...

this is going to be sikk:

i got my Harmony Rockets disc (the "paralized mind") by trading. and you know what i sent to UK for that HR disc - the russian vinyl issue of Bon Jovi "New Jersey".

i was just taking the advantage. seller was blinded by the chance to get releases from the recent eastern block. comecon up my a......

sadly, indeed very sad, for the sake of information, i can't remember the seller/trader. damn!

farewell my cruel world.........
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

runcible wrote:Next up - Spectrum/Stereolab. One unreleased track on it. Cost price £1000+. Effectively for one track.
Now THAT'S one we need on a £6 CD!! It wouldn't even need 4 other tracks to go with it...

Peace.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Bon Jovi for Harmony Rockets = LOL

That's pretty awesome.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

What's Harmony Rockets?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

A Mercury Rev side project that sounds a bit like a Miles Davis records.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

spzretent wrote:A Mercury Rev side project that sounds a bit like a Miles Davis records.
Woh where have i been
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

dselevan2 wrote:
spzretent wrote:A Mercury Rev side project that sounds a bit like a Miles Davis records.
Woh where have i been
Don't worry, it bypassed me too although I have just remedied that, this is very very good.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's an insane record. It builds up with this fabulous ambient sound with occasional mad trumpet before the climax which is not unlike some huge whirling psychedelic machine. If that sounds a little strange believe me it's fairly accurate.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

More Harmony Rockets info:

A classic experimental album of epic proportions, "Paralyzed Mind of the Archangel Void" consists of ONE track, which runs to 41:40 minutes, recorded live at the Rhinecliff Hotel in upstate New York in 1995. It was initially released in 1995 as a limited edition of 500 copies, available in Germany, France, Benelux, Scandinavia. It was then given a limited re-release on CD in October 1997 in the UK and Eire. It also turned up on Big Cat in the States in '95, was kinda lost and unavailable for a while, and then resurfaced in '98 when it was re-released by V2.
On the album, the band freed themselves from the constraints of the standard rock form and produced a work that reflects their interest in avant-garde and improvised music. It contains echoes of German experimentalists like Faust and Guru Guru, as well as of Sun Ra and the early electronic explorations of Morton Subotnik. Starts out sweetly enough, then builds and builds, until finally arriving at a sublime conclusion. It's been noted that the lyrics were basically lifted from an old blues (?) number.

Said Jonathan: "It’s mostly instrumental, but there’s some vocals on the beginning of it, it’s me singing. Basically, what it is, is most of Mercury Rev, that you see up there [stage], were trying to kill a Friday night in the mountains, got really wasted and wandered down to a local Civil War bar. They needed an opening band, so we brought some old analog effects with us and some guitars and just whooped up whatever we were doing for, like, forty minutes and stopped. Somebody had a tape, figuring it was y’know, Mercury Rev, so they sorta recorded it shittily."
So, the entire album is live?
"Yeah, just made up on the spot. There’s not a damn thing that was practiced ever, it just sort of happened, but it came out really nice. We like it, we were pretty surprised."

It got good press, too:
"...PARALYZED MIND is nocturnal trance music that never gets monotonous, a stunning feat for a piece this long....In 2015 we'll be talking about this mercurial, revolutionary CD in the awed tones reserved for THE VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO, REVOLVER, A LOVE SUPREME, or BITCHES BREW."--Alternative Press 1/96

The line-up for this recording:
Jonathan Donahue
Grasshopper
Adam Snyder
Jason Russo
Jimy Chambers
Suzanne Thorpe (although she performed unplugged)
Mark Marinoff
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

i want a copy of this ! it sounds awesome and prettty interesting ! anyone willing to do so ? p.m. me PLEASE, mayne i got something you don't, bestest x
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

norrin radd wrote: mayne i got something you don't, bestest x
I'll take a gram. You can leave it under my doormat. Thanks.