Sonic Boom interview in some LA newspaper

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

dselevan2
Known user

Sonic Boom interview in some LA newspaper

Post by dselevan2 »

So we were in this coffee shop by my house and there was one of those free newspapers that float around LA with an interview with Sonic Boom. He said Jason's version of Walkin' With Jesus was the most souless cover he'd ever heard. I thought this was funny.
Mussels
Known user

Re: Sonic Boom interview in some LA newspaper

Post by Mussels »

I'd take J.Spaceman over Mainliner anyday. Sonic is still doing his soundchecks during his gigs, whilst the Spaceman takes the stage, the lights dim and PurePhase hits the air and each song segues into the next and are tight. Sonic barely can hobble two or three chords together and hasn't put out a proper record in 10 years (please don't count E.A.R. or his producing chores).

Have you ever hear J.Spaceman take a dig on Sonic publicly ? Sonic is so insecure.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Well, to his credit, the interviewer lead him into these answers with questions like how do you feel about Jason doing Spacemen 3 songs...

Furthermore, Sonic makes himself accessible to just about anyone in the crowd, even working merch stands and has always, always hung out with the crowd after his shows and he does a lot more interviews as a result..many of which are less scripted to say the least. I like Jason's interview but if you read one per album you've read them all - he'd be a great vice president as he's always, "on message."
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

Mr Kember is reminding me of axl rose with this never materialising new album of his ! :D
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

What about Indian Giver, by Spectrum Meets Captain Memphis (CD on Birdman)?
Certainly better than Chinese Democracy.
I don't get this 5 track thingy though, that Ecstasy Symphony sounds just like Forged. But Spacemen 3 have always released the same thing over and over and over again.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dselevan2 wrote: I like Jason's interview but if you read one per album you've read them all - he'd be a great vice president as he's always, "on message."

Did you ever consider thats because Jason gets asked the same exact questions all the time? Blame the journalists.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Very good point Spzretent, I agree. Journalists tend to feed the answers they want to hear.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

many are actually lazy. they aren't(usually)fans. So they only know what they can dig up off the internet. Drugs, Illness, Religion, yaddi yaddi yadda.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

dselevan2 wrote:So we were in this coffee shop by my house and there was one of those free newspapers that float around LA with an interview with Sonic Boom. He said Jason's version of Walkin' With Jesus was the most souless cover he'd ever heard. I thought this was funny.

wow! even after Pete has heard our version!!!!

:shock:
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

So, let's just say that I've said some smartass comment about Sonic being a douchebag, and Runcible has already defended him and we've gone back and forth before agreeing to disagree.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

flamingrev wrote:So, let's just say that I've said some smartass comment about Sonic being a douchebag, and Runcible has already defended him and we've gone back and forth before agreeing to disagree.
I want the Runcible Family/Sonic Boom Christmas Card.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

On occasion I have almost referred to Sonic as Runci's boyfriend, but decided it would be a bit glib for this forum.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

dselevan2 wrote: He said Jason's version of Walkin' With Jesus was the most souless cover he'd ever heard. I thought this was funny.
The version from the latest tour (country blues with spine chilling harmonies) is the most soulful take of that song i've ever heard...
O P 8
burst
Known user

Post by burst »

flamingrev wrote:On occasion I have almost referred to Sonic as Runci's boyfriend, but decided it would be a bit glib for this forum.
Trying for humour and an insult in the same post. Failing on both accounts I suspect.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

is there anywhere online to read this mysterious interview? Also, regarding wwj...I gotta say Jason doesn't need to put on an acoustic to play it, since(at least the 2 LA gigs) it was the only time he used it. My pal wondered if it was his "Ashcroft moment during the gig" . He could've kept the tele on and rocked it...or not.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"Trying for humour and an insult in the same post. Failing on both accounts I suspect."

No, I wasn't trying to insult Runcible, or be particularly funny. I have no problem with him whatsoever, despite our occasional difference of opinion. He's a great source of information and he seems like a real stand-up guy. I think that such a regressive insult as "nar nar he must be your boyfriend" is too silly to be taken seriously by anyone. Except perhaps you. Might wanna investigate that humour thing.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

porkchop wrote:is there anywhere online to read this mysterious interview? Also, regarding wwj...I gotta say Jason doesn't need to put on an acoustic to play it, since(at least the 2 LA gigs) it was the only time he used it. My pal wondered if it was his "Ashcroft moment during the gig" . He could've kept the tele on and rocked it...or not.
Gonna have to disagree here. I’m loving this version of Walking with Jesus more than any other, possibly even more than when the Spacemen used to play it live. Kind of think that this is the way it should always have been played ie as close to the Perfect Prescription version as is possible. It is a great song however it is played but The Perfect Prescription version is the definitive version to me and that is played on an acoustic.

Feel free to disagree :)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

i donno. My friend picked up LA City Beat or one of those free newspapers while we were ordering coffee. I dont think it was La City beat though, since that had an Obama cover. i don't think it's online
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Funny thing with Pete's comments is that one never really does know where he's getting at. This could be in reference to an older take of WWJ (I'd definitely agree where - for example - the RAH performance is concerned, but that's just my personal opinion), it could be recycled from an older interview, or it could be just one of those random snide comments he seems to come out with at times; having a dig for the sake of it, as if he's still not really over the split.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Many years ago I listened to a Spiritualized Peel session with Pete when it was broadcast (although, flamingrev, I wouldn't actually call this occasion a 'date'). A reconstructed version of Walkin' With Jesus appeared - the one where Sean Cook used to fire up his harmonica - and I thought that this might be interesting. Pete looked rather baffled at the furious pace of the song and at the end he smiled and said 'wow - Bob Seger!'

I agree with Nick here - I think the current interpretation is the best I've heard live. I saw the Spacemen a few times but they never played that song at any of those gigs. I love the Perfect Prescription version - it's warmth and beauty always hits the spot - and what Jason has done with the song now takes it back to that more than any other working of it. Having said that I think the version on Forged Prescriptions could actually be better, but I can't really decide. Jason's vocals are more relaxed and the chorus has a different feel, more like the way he sings it now. Whatever - it's a glorious song and remains a candidate for my all time favourite track by anyone anywhere.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I ran into Pete at a Spiritualized show many years ago - it was horrible and we all left before the show was over. It was the tour where Jason sat in a stool and his voice sounded terrible. I forgot where the show was, it was some huge venue downtown, and the whole thing sounded like it was being broadcast through a telephone, but not in a good way. I wonder if that is the version he is referring to.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"Bob Seger"

LOL
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

flamingrev wrote:"Bob Seger"

LOL
Back In 72 is a classic. And not a guilty pleasure either.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

wait a second, is seger from detroit???!?!?!!?!?

didn't he sing "nightshift"?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

yes :oops:
but
Back In 72 is from 1972 and is a great record. Its been out of print for like 25 years. He wont rerelease and of the good early 70's stuff he did. Just that bullshit from the late 70's on.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

What song did he do
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

google it dude. or just read the last 2 posts. something about nightshift.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spzretent wrote:yes :oops:
but
Just that bullshit from the late 70's on.
including Nightshift!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

WTF
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

agreeably pete might not help himself, but without really wanting to flame the fires : theres a lot more disgruntled and unhappy former spiritualized employees then people who've worked with sonic?

mr kember certainly isnt the only person to fall out with jason pierce over songwriting royalties.

and theres only one constant spiritualized employee living in a very very expensive house in northern london.
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

AB2 aka AndyBlackToo :

Who writes the lyrics ? Who writes/produces the songs ? Okay, then. Looks like Jason writes the lyrics, songs and produces them. All the other musicians just play them. They get a nice living touring, it's not their skint or anything. If the other musicians don't like the assigned duties or arrangements then they can certainly find another band to play with, hopefully as successful as SPIRITUALIZED. :evil:
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

andyblacktoo wrote:agreeably pete might not help himself, but without really wanting to flame the fires : theres a lot more disgruntled and unhappy former spiritualized employees then people who've worked with sonic?

mr kember certainly isnt the only person to fall out with jason pierce over songwriting royalties.

and theres only one constant spiritualized employee living in a very very expensive house in northern london.
UM. There was that time his entire band left him in Texas.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Who's band left who in Texas? I haven't heard this story.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

It was Spectrum's, "songs of Spacemen 3 tour" back in 2001. I saw the whole band play at Spaceland, than the band apparently flew/drove back to LA early. I saw both shows, one with the full band at Spaceland, than just Pete playing by himself at the Garage. The band, including Will actually showed up at the Garage, but I'm not sure why, I don't think they were there to watch him play (it was pretty much empty when he played, so I remember that). I assume they had to get some of their equipment back or something. I don't know the details of what happened, it's all just rumor and speculation by now. So I don't have the story, I remember hearing like 10 different stories from everyone involved. It became very GNR in its mythic proportions.

This thread is starting to go bad and I'm sure this was discussed back in 2001 when it happened. Let's end it at Pete did a mildly funny interview. Lazy journalism focused on Spiritualized and previous disputes. I can see how his comments would be insulting to some people, but at least he tells it how he sees it which makes a boring interview into an interesting read.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

spzretent wrote:many are actually lazy. they aren't(usually)fans. So they only know what they can dig up off the internet. Drugs, Illness, Religion, yaddi yaddi yadda.
True...

Although I disagree that the interviews are all the same. -_- But I get the point, yeah.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010