Freelovebabies

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

flamingrev
Known user

Freelovebabies

Post by flamingrev »

I was just rocking out to Home Improvement For Condemned buildings, and thinking about how fucking good that album is. In it's own way, I enjoy it more than the last two Spiritualized albums and far more than anything Sonic has done solo. It's a shame the project doesn't get more attention, because Will really has his own voice and style that isn't trying to imitate Spacemen 3 or Spiritualized.

Is there any word on a new album?

Has he ever toured or played concerts for this material?

Is the first album as good as the second?
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Freelovebabies

Post by runcible »

Some great stuff on the first album - I recommend it.

I love them both but I can't quite share your dizzy praise. Definitely get the first one - Goodbye Sorrow is a magical song but it's all good and similar to the 2nd. I like Will's voice and there are some great songs - I find them to be wonderful hangover morning albums (try it!). Neither can compare to Captain Memphis or Soul Kiss IMHO - both those albums get better with every play, but I regard them very highly indeed. It's unfair to compare them to the last 2 Spiritualized albums - A & E is a brilliant record although I like it less than the afore-mentioned Spectrum albums. Amazing Grace is more flawed but still stands up on its own compared to pretty much everyone else.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

i agree with your thoughts rev, apart from soul kiss ... i love written in sand and sometimes prefer this to the second one but both are great.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I think A&E is better in theory, and it is certainly more ambitious.

But Condemned Buildings sneaks into the stereo far more often. I can listen to it any old time, whereas with a lot of the other albums mentioned, I have to be in a certain mood for them.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Love both FreeLoveBabies albums. Had the privelege of hearing Written In Sand in the studio before it was released with copious amounts of dope... sounded just soooo bloody good! Both excellent IMHO and would struggle to pick a favourite. Fav song would probably be between Sky Blue Feeling or Moon And Stars... 8)

Saw Will play in Manchester about 18months ago. Short set, but really good. Looked like Will was having a lot of fun up there (which has not always been the case!). His band that night were really good too...
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Isn't Will doing bass duties with Brian Jonestown Massacre at the moment?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

He was, as bass player Colin was getting married I think. But no longer - Colin returned for the Australian tour.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »