SPECTRUM FULL BAND SHOWS THIS W/END-TICKETS

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

sonic boom
Known user

SPECTRUM FULL BAND SHOWS THIS W/END-TICKETS

Post by sonic boom »

Hey folks ,
Just a few lines to let everyone know what’s happening for SPECTRUM in the coming weeks & to thank all the folks who applied for the percussion & lead guitar posts . I was gratified to see such consistent quality amongst all those who applied.

I am pleased to announce that ALL UK SHOWS WILL FEATURE THE FULL BAND – performing an extended version of the set featured at the 4 M.B.V. shows we played last year. Expect the full breadth of SPECTRUM’s & SPACEMEN 3’s catalogue including Suicide, Revolution, How you satisfy Me , Mary ,Transparent Radiation etc .

The current financial climate is scaring some of the promoters of gigs to death & if you want to guarantee your local show takes place ,please buy tickets in advance as soon as possible .most shows are in fairly intimate venues & sell out on the night is possible . It’s been a long time since I played many of these cities – please let your circle of friends know & pass the info on where you see fit .
The current shows & online ticket addresses are :

Fri 13th Feb - The Static Gallery, LIVERPOOL http://www.seetickets.com and http://www.ticketline.co.uk

Sat 14th Feb, The Library, LEEDS http://www.seetickets.com and http://www.ticketline.co.uk

Tuesday 17th Feb – The Social, NOTTINGHAM – http://www.alt-tickets.co.uk

Friday 20th – Hare & Hounds, BIRMINGHAM – http://www.mosleyfolk.co.uk

Tuesday 24th Feb – The Wheatsheaf, OXFORD http://www.myspace.com/wheatsheaf_music

Wed 25th – The Croft, BRISTOL – http://www.the-croft.com

Fri 27th Feb, - The Dome, LONDON – http://www.wegottickets.com

Sat 28th Feb, The Freebutt, BRIGHTON – http://www.wegottickets.com and Rounder Records

We’ll be selling Spectrum & Spacemen 3 back catalogue at the shows including some vinyl as well as c.d. releases .
Look forward to seeing you at the show. Please feel free to come & say Hi !
Best regards
Pete Kember
laid back in the sun
Known user

Re: SPECTRUM FULL BAND SHOWS THIS W/END-TICKETS

Post by laid back in the sun »

shite no belfast date :cry:
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

laid back in the sun wrote:shite no belfast date :cry:
I share your pain.

Come on over, Sonic. Please???
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Fuzzhead wrote:
laid back in the sun wrote:shite no belfast date :cry:
I share your pain.

Come on over, Sonic. Please???
And Dublin too please.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

was lucky enough too see the Liverpool show on Friday night. Great set, if a little short. Was a treat to hear so much spacemen 3, but surprising that I think it was all spacemen 3, can't really remember an actual Spectrum song! I know they had a new drummer and guitarist that night, so maybe the set will expand as they go on. The sound was excellent though, some tremendous feedback coursing through the last couple of songs.

also picked up Dean and Britta's Sonic Souvenirs. That my friends, is a thing of rare beauty.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Just come back after supporting them in Liverpool/Leeds, and not came back down to earth yet. The guitarist/drummer are new from the December tour, and I think the set on both nights was:

Mary
Transparent Radiation
Set Me Free
How You Satisfy Me
When Tomorrow Hits
Revolution
-------------------------------------
Suicide

Both venues where excellent, last night in Leeds was packed, very intimate and loud.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I really enjoyed the Leeds date last night. Pete was in great form, very chatty and friendly throughout the evening, and the band have real potential too. It was only guitarist Alex's second gig but he made some real noise on occasion - a little confidence will come as he looked a tad nervous. Most of the bunch I was with noticed that but it's hardly surprising as it's early days. The sound was surprisingly good for such a shit place (more on that below) and you could feel the power of the music push you back when it was really flying. The guitars sounded thick and beefy and when they got a good drone going it was excellent. The set we got is the same as Noddy describes - Mary at the start brought a lump to my throat as it was so sweet and so perfect and encore Suicide (nice dedication on that one!) had the right vibe even after Pete left the band to it to pound on for a few more minutes. The vocals didn't get mic'd up properly for a lot of the set so they could have sounded better but I'm not really complaining as I had a lot of fun.

The Library is a very poorly run place. I have never encountered worse bar service in my life. Every visit to the bar was a fresh adventure into incompetence and disorganisation - lack of staff downstairs, a pint of Guinness with a 4 inch head on it, beers being off, beers not being available upstairs, mysterious lengths time spent at the till ringing up the sale of a single drink, more lack of staff upstairs... Memorable for all the wrong reasons and somewhere to avoid if possible.

Still, a great night for music. Pete's ability to make a racket is very apparent - I'll always vote for a full band behind him as it gives him the platform to crank things up and direct some proper noise. Great to see various dear friends too - missed you Simon...
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

7 song set in Leeds ? Pleased I didn't make the 180 mile round trip.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Those 7 songs went on for an hour. I know some bands play more than that but I was satisfied.
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

runcible wrote:Those 7 songs went on for an hour. I know some bands play more than that but I was satisfied.
Which is fair enough. However I appreciate that SB seems to take the time to visit here and post messages. He does mention the current economic climate and I believe that if folks' entertainment budgets are being squeezed then performers/artists ought to give exceptional value for money (as they always should have really).

I am a long time S3/Spz/Spectrum admirer and I don't think in the last 18 years I've missed them if they've played within 100 miles of me...until last night. It would have meant a solo car trip (no mates who wanted to come and the last train would have been too early). The night would have cost me somewhere in the region of £35-40 without extras like t-shirts/cds. I just couldn't justify it.

I think I would have felt cheated if they'd played for an hour. I know the longer the length of time on stage doesn't automatically mean a better experience but would it have been too much to ask for for the band to have played for 90 minutes ?

I usually get to about 25-30 gigs a year. 2009 will be different, its more likely to be 10-12. I won't be going to see bands I'm curious about only those I really like. A bit like my music purchases, I won't be 'risking' cash on something I think I might like. A shame really but there you go.
Freak Scene
New user

Post by Freak Scene »

Hi, was lucky enough to get to the Liverpool gig so thought i'd sign up to say thanks for an excellent night! Totally blew my head off.

Great little intimate venue, nice & friendly barstaff who gave good measures of spirits, cans of red stripe and geat tune selection from the DJ, what more could you ask for!! Lucid dreams were absolutley storming, will deffo keep my eye out for them in the future, the last track they played coupled with the lighting totally blew me away, could have happily listened to that for hours on end.

As for Spectrum, fair do's we were in heaven, when the fuzz kicked in on when tomorrow hits it doesn't get much better than that, proper hairs on back of neck stuff. Mary was beautiful, and Suicide, wasnt expecting that!! What a perfect night. Would love to have got our tickets signed by Sonic but we were too nervous, even after severeal trips to the bar, how nerdy eh :lol: that guys made some of my favourite music ever, did mange to get a good look at his pedals before we left though hahaha!

Anyway, thanks for a great night, the music means a lot to me, after a shitty week in work i went to bed happy after that.

Jim
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Freak Scene wrote:Hi, was lucky enough to get to the Liverpool gig so thought i'd sign up to say thanks for an excellent night! Totally blew my head off.

Great little intimate venue, nice & friendly barstaff who gave good measures of spirits, cans of red stripe and geat tune selection from the DJ, what more could you ask for!! Lucid dreams were absolutley storming, will deffo keep my eye out for them in the future, the last track they played coupled with the lighting totally blew me away, could have happily listened to that for hours on end.

As for Spectrum, fair do's we were in heaven, when the fuzz kicked in on when tomorrow hits it doesn't get much better than that, proper hairs on back of neck stuff. Mary was beautiful, and Suicide, wasnt expecting that!! What a perfect night. Would love to have got our tickets signed by Sonic but we were too nervous, even after severeal trips to the bar, how nerdy eh :lol: that guys made some of my favourite music ever, did mange to get a good look at his pedals before we left though hahaha!

Anyway, thanks for a great night, the music means a lot to me, after a shitty week in work i went to bed happy after that.

Jim
Hi Jim, its Mark here from The Lucid Dream. Thanks very much for those compliments, appreciated very much. I loved every minute of Friday (we where also minus a guitarist that night), and I loved Leeds the same, had plenty of ppl get in touch re. them, both nights will last long in my memory. Been in the company of your all time hero for 2 days is surreal!Back down to earth with work this morning.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Mark, I'd never heard of your band before but I went onto your MySpace page and I have to say I love what I hear. It's right up my street. It sounds glourious. I'm soaking up all the songs you have up on the site.

Is there any word on when a debut album will be coming out?
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Fuzzhead wrote:Mark, I'd never heard of your band before but I went onto your MySpace page and I have to say I love what I hear. It's right up my street. It sounds glourious. I'm soaking up all the songs you have up on the site.

Is there any word on when a debut album will be coming out?
Hi,

Thanks very much, compliments appreciated! The tunes on the site are demos, done at a DIY local studio, although a couple have appeared on releases (I Got The Devil on a split 10"), (Love In My Veins on Open Your Mind comp= Brian Jonestown etc) (The Twilght End on Daydream Generation comp), we are recording in Wales next month for an EP due in September, album probs 2010??! Its still early days so just building it up for the EP at mo, those Spectrum shows where stuff of dreams. The releases all are defintely on vinyl with little collectors limited edition things leading up to the main release. The tunes have been on 6 music a bit too.

Forgot to say Spectrum had loads of amazing EAR vinyls for sale though I think they all sold out after Leeds.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

I'll definitely be listening out for your band this year. I can't wait to hear more.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Leeds recording is up on dimeadozen:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=236555
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Why isn't he playing any new stuff? It's just weird that he's playing a measly hour long show that is almost entirely old stuff when he's supposedly got a new album "almost" finished.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I was surpised that there wasn't a song written after 1990 in the set, but given that I'd never had the chance to see Sonic or Spectrum live before I didn't mind one one bit. I only found out about this gig on Thursday afternoon, so to get to see Sonic playing Spacemen 3 numbers that I've never seen live before was a Big Treat.

I just hope that he's back and planning to make Spectrum a proper band with more gigs and more time for new songs as they go on.

In the meantime I reckon anyone on this board would enjoy the set, so take the opportunity to go see em if you can.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

flamingrev wrote:Why isn't he playing any new stuff? It's just weird that he's playing a measly hour long show that is almost entirely old stuff when he's supposedly got a new album "almost" finished.
If he played only new stuff you'd say 'why didn't he play any old stuff?' It's always the same. He toured with EAR and people asked why he didn't play old material. He toured 'Songs The Spacemen Taught Us' and people asked why there was nothing new in the set. He just can't win.

Seriously mate - from the tone of your endless anti-Sonic stance I'd suggest you steer well clear of the guy.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

runcible wrote:
flamingrev wrote:Why isn't he playing any new stuff? It's just weird that he's playing a measly hour long show that is almost entirely old stuff when he's supposedly got a new album "almost" finished.
If he played only new stuff you'd say 'why didn't he play any old stuff?' It's always the same. He toured with EAR and people asked why he didn't play old material. He toured 'Songs The Spacemen Taught Us' and people asked why there was nothing new in the set. He just can't win.

Seriously mate - from the tone of your endless anti-Sonic stance I'd suggest you steer well clear of the guy.

I'm not just talking smack because he's sonic. If anybody that I sorta cared about routinely played that kind of set, I would bitch about it. Because it's lame. I know you like Sonic, personally and musically. That's cool. That's your opinion, and it is totally legit and you can post about how awesome he is all the live long day. And when I think he's acting like a lazy bum, I'll post my opinion about it. I probably won't steer clear of him, because he's made music that I really enjoy and I hold out a little bit of hope that he'll make music that I enjoy again. But I'm not going to hold my tongue when he disappoints, because I like to express my opinion in a forum. Just like you, and everyone else here.

Sorry if I'm spoiling the Sonic circle jerk. Carry on!
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

Why does it have to be playing a set of ALL new stuff or ALL old stuff ? both of those are lame ! imo, he should at least mix it up a bit (1/2 old 1/2 new ?) I though he was great live when i saw him (the band) but i am a spacemen anorak (hence it was still great to hear old shit live & loud without contradicting myself, but we should all accept the contradictions) i left feeling a few new ones in the set would have been a definite bonus, and maybe a few of the mellower ones too to mix up with the noisier tunes, but you can't have everything i suppose. No disrespect to Kember, he's the man, and like someone else said on this board, i know the old dogs still got a lotta life in him yet ! :wink:
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

saw Spectrum last night in Nottingham. Played the sets previously described although after Revolution they went into a tune (new?) that i didnt recognise. Up untill 'When Tomorrow Hits' the set was a bit tired, all members looking a bit bored really, tunes lacking any spark however from Revolution onwards things really picked up a bit and it was tops. Thanks to one of the support acts 'Enten-Eller'.....sorry lads but you provided me with more unintentional laughs at a gig than i've had for a long time.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

clewsr - Mary was written after 1990 and was only actually released in 2008. I thought it was absolutely sublime the other night.

flamingrev - Opinions are fine but yours is the same every time. You grumble about buying Spectrum CDs that you don't like, about the time Pete's taken to make the new Spectrum (phrases like 'puts down the bag' are pretty cheap in my opinion), material he plays... I struggle to find you posting anything positive about the guy. If I think he's doing something worthwhile I'll say so and defend him and I really enjoyed the last 2 gigs I saw. I've yearned for him to play stuff with a full band and he's doing that so I, for one, am happy. Personally I found a lot of the EAR shows I saw not to my taste (bar one supporting Pavement where he had a full band - Eddie Prevost, Kevin Martin and Scott Reilly included - and they were incredible) and I don't go for that stuff on record either so my opinions do vary. We disagree completely it seems so feel free to respond but I can't be arsed to argue this for the umpteenth time.

I wonder what some people here would make of the comment my companion made after the Spectrum gig the other night - this after being profoundly disappointed by Spiritualized's performance in October - along the lines that Pete 'still has it' and 'much more than Jason right now'. I may not agree but I saw what he meant.
The Black Lodge
Known user

Post by The Black Lodge »

spunder wrote:saw Spectrum last night in Nottingham. Played the sets previously described although after Revolution they went into a tune (new?) that i didnt recognise. Up untill 'When Tomorrow Hits' the set was a bit tired, all members looking a bit bored really, tunes lacking any spark however from Revolution onwards things really picked up a bit and it was tops. Thanks to one of the support acts 'Enten-Eller'.....sorry lads but you provided me with more unintentional laughs at a gig than i've had for a long time.
I thought last night was pretty good
Pete seemed to be in a great mood and enjoying himself and it was good to hear him with a full band again
I hope the new material is toured later this year when the albums out.

The new tune wasnt a new tune but "War Sucks", its tacked on after Revolution sometimes.

Enten-Eller were...interesting ;)
They were either the best new band in the world ever...or....................anyway ;)
Managed to find their myspace... http://www.myspace.com/singsingenteneller its worth taking a look just to read the "influences"...
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

along the lines that Pete 'still has it' and 'much more than Jason right now'. I may not agree but I saw what he meant.
difficult to judge without hearing some new tunes from pete.
i would say after seeing Spiritualized last year and Spectrum last night i was pleased and disappointed in equal measures with both, however there is the added novelty value of seeing Spectrum; i 've never seen them/pete play live before and i've seen Spiritualized many times, the gig i saw last year was the worst Spiritualized gig i've been to and i dislike 'Songs in A & E'....
The new tune wasnt a new tune but "War Sucks", its tacked on after Revolution sometimes.
cheers...it was very good!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Enten-Eller were...interesting
thing is, the guitarists had a good sound. the vocalist looked like frank spencer in a mac....they managed to create a very very serious and oppressive atmosphere which gave me an uncontrollable laughing fit. had they just escaped from RADA?
frank spencer kept shouting 'HYPOTHOSIS!'.....
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Review from Liverpool, got our name wrong and I am 99% sure there where no new songs, but here it is:

http://www.peterguy.merseyblogs.co.uk/2 ... tic-g.html
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Quick word on the reliance of older songs... Pete did mention to me that an expanded set with newer material is planned at some point. Half the band are brand new and focusing on tried and trusted music is a good way of getting a solid band together. These guys are keen and I think the potential is there.

And I wanted to say to Mark that I really regret missing The Lucid Dream's set. It was a scramble getting to the gig in time and we ducked out for a curry and unfortunately missed you guys. Friends of mine know The Insect Guide so we wanted to catch them and we ended up going out after they played. Next time I hope! By the way The Insect Guide haven't got a mention here and I rather enjoyed them. Fairly straightforward drone but rather effective.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:clewsr - Mary was written after 1990 and was only actually released in 2008. I thought it was absolutely sublime the other night.

One new song and the rest made up of Spacemen material is poor though. If i'm going to see Spectrum i want/expect to hear Spectrum tunes with 1 or 2 Spacemen songs thrown in. I'd go see Sonic no matter what he was doing but i would like to see him spread his set list wider given the amount of material he has.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That's fair enough (How You Satisfy Me is a Spectrum track of course), but considering he hasn't had a stable band line up and is trying to get that balanced I still think it was good what he did. When Sonic Youth toured a new album that was pretty much all they'd play and people grumbled. There isn't a balance that will please everyone of course.

I'm curious as to what set lists people would choose if they could...? The song that I know Pete will never play again is Sweet Running Water which used to be truly awesome - but it's a Richard Formby song. I also love 'You're The One' from Spectrum but have never heard him do that. Chuck in 'Undo The Taboo' and maybe 'Take Your Time' too. I like the Spacemen songs he's doing though and would prefer their inclusion to the one unreleased track he played at the MBV shows.
The Black Lodge
Known user

Post by The Black Lodge »

runcible wrote:Chuck in 'Undo The Taboo' and maybe 'Take Your Time' too.
Under the Taboo would be a great one to include, maybe Capo Waltz as well?
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

.......cue your dream Sonic set-list element of this thread.

Here's how things stack up for me. I'm 33 now and the first Spacemen 3 album i bought was Recurring on tape (!) in 1990/1991 i guess. So...i never had the chance to see them live.

Since then I've seen Spiritualized alot (15/20 times something like that). I've seen Sonic play as EAR once or twice and enjoyed it very much indeed. The MBV support and the Sonic Cathedral last year were the first time i've seen Sonic play Spacemen 3 tunes and it was a proper shivers up my spine moment both times around so I'm greatful to have had that chance. I also love the bootlegs from the 2007 tour where it's just Sonic and machines and can see how the 2 would be difficult to integrate into one set.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"Opinions are fine but yours is the same every time. "

Because my reaction to pretty much everything Sonic has done since I've been on the forum is disappointment. I understand that you don't like that reaction, but that's how it is. I could decided not to note my disappointment, but why would I do that? Because Runcible doesn't like it? Pfffffff. I'm not trolling or trying to bother people, I'm just saying what I think. If it sincerely bothers anyone, then maybe they should find something more serious to care that much about. The nightly news disturbs me, not some anonymous opinion on a message board.

"phrases like 'puts down the bag' are pretty cheap in my opinion"

If a primary part of an artist's public dialog is his drug use, then I feel it's fair game to make jokes about it. It's not like I'm calling him a child molester or anything.

"I struggle to find you posting anything positive about the guy. If I think he's doing something worthwhile I'll say so"

Why struggle to find anything in my views? I don't say many positive things about him because I don't see many positive things about his current state. I'm sure he's a nice guy and he's written a lot of terrific songs (see, positive!). If he does something worthwhile I'll say so as well. We just have different opinions of "worthwhile." Indian Giver was good, I'll give him that. That mix CD he made was good.

"and defend him"

Gallant!

"We disagree completely it seems so feel free to respond but I can't be arsed to argue this for the umpteenth time."

Then perhaps you should start ignoring my posts? Because I will continue to note when Sonic disappoints me, with the full understanding that he's not obligated to please me. And if you continue to make it your personal mission to defend Pete and argue on his behalf, then we'll indeed argue about this for the umpteenth time. There are plenty of people on this forum how think Jason has completely gone downhill since Lazer Guided Melodies, and I don't get all butt-hurt because they feel differently than I do.

And just to stir it up a little more, I'll point out that the new band as an excuse for the short sets and lack of new material seems kind of silly. He's a professional musician, right? Why not practice with the band and get the setlist right and debut a fully kick-ass show, instead of this amateur hour business?

Cheers!
norrin radd
Known user

Post by norrin radd »

O.K. ! dream sonic set list time !

honey
mary
then i just drifted away
why couldn't i see ?
sooth me
how you satisfy me
capo waltz
i know they say
i love you
take your time
revolution
repeater - how does it feel ?
to the moon and back
indian summer
big city

that's my vote ! :D
Last edited by norrin radd on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

HMMMMM... i think mine would be...

Undo The Taboo
How You Satisfy Me
Lonesome Death Of Johnny Ace
When Tomorrow Hits
Losing Touch With My Mind(i know he didnt sing it, but i think he could pull it off!)
Why Couldn't I See
Mary
Honey
Owsley
Big City
I Love You
If I Should Die
***and a noisy version of Walkin With Jesus, he wouldnt even have to sing it, i just wanna see it very noisy one day!!!!!and i doubt J. will play it like Sound of Confusion(WWJ)
All Of DREAMWEAPON!!!!(like someone said in a spacemen reunion thread...)

i didnt realize how hard it would be for me to think of what id wanna hear, i just want him/them to come play Baltimore, MD one of these days, stay outta DC!!!!!!!!!!!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

All pretty good set lists but those would be long shows!

If time is no object I'd go for:

How You Satisfy me
Undo The Taboo
Capo Waltz
Let Me Down Gently
Sweet Running Water
Take Your Time
Revolution
When Tomorrow Hits
Che
Why Couldn't I See?
Set Me Free
Repeater
Mary
You're The One
Ode To Street Hassle
Starship
Suicide

That lot covers quite a bit of ground I reckon, and if the current set list of 7 tracks is an hour there'd be no need for a support band with this lot (maybe an interval though!).
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

I think it would be pretty rad if he did play a long show with no support, and the first half would be like him and forever alien type stuff keys based, then after a break come out and melt faces with noise...

edit: dont type while your driving to work...
Last edited by marcvolta on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

runcible wrote:And I wanted to say to Mark that I really regret missing The Lucid Dream's set. It was a scramble getting to the gig in time and we ducked out for a curry and unfortunately missed you guys. Friends of mine know The Insect Guide so we wanted to catch them and we ended up going out after they played. Next time I hope! By the way The Insect Guide haven't got a mention here and I rather enjoyed them. Fairly straightforward drone but rather effective.
Not a worry mate, I loved those shows very much, it could not have went better really. I got a little freaked out during our last song @ Liverpool when I noticed Pete sat at the front! Will Seargeant from the Bunnymen was in too, meeting 2 idols in one night, very strange! Also, a few mates of ours where postive Pete Best was in?! I thought Liverpool was the better of the Spectrum gigs, sound wise too, I got lost in Suicide, blew my mind, I had a few that night so I was loosened up for their set a bit, I was driving after Leeds so never got the chance that night. I think under the circumstances (time restraints) Spectrum did as well as they could, within a few months they will be on fire, and the set will develop too.

Insect Guide are well worthy of the mention, especially as they have worked with Pete too. Stan (guitarist/singer) is filming/producing the video for our next release, his work is superb.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Mark - I'll keep an eye on your MySpace for potential future dates. It's nice to hear of someone enjoying playing live so much I have to say. I know Pete really enjoyed the support sets at both gigs.

I'd have liked to have drunk a bit more than I did in Leeds but my tales of the bar say it all. I did OK though and was pretty mashed by the time Spectrum came on. There were several moments I got caught up in the guitar noise during Spectrum, right from the start of Mary to the barrage of Suicide at the end.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

What time have spectrum been taking the stage?Driving up to Bristol (from Cornwall) after work next wednesday and need to know how much I need to boot it.Ta
Freak Scene
New user

Post by Freak Scene »

Hi Jim, its Mark here from The Lucid Dream. Thanks very much for those compliments, appreciated very much. I loved every minute of Friday (we where also minus a guitarist that night), and I loved Leeds the same, had plenty of ppl get in touch re. them, both nights will last long in my memory. Been in the company of your all time hero for 2 days is surreal!Back down to earth with work this morning
Hi Mark, no probs, really enjoyed it thanks, right up my street that kind of stuff, i was pure zoning out to some of the grooves you were getting locked into, as i said earlier i could have happily listened to it for hours. Have you got any demos / releases etc out?

Have to agree with you on Suicide, totally blew me away, i bust into a huge smile everytime i think about it, I'm still bleating on about it to anyone that will listen. The whole set was an absolute beast!

Thanks again for a top night everyone.

Jim
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I'll chime in on the dream set list....

How you Satisfy Me(which has been great)
Why couldn't I see?
to the moon and back
ode to street hassle
I believe it
Mary
I know they say
feels like I'm slipping away
Angel
the end
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Anyone go to the Brighton show? You lucky bastards got the Flowers of Hell and the Notorious Hi-Fi Killers too!
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

runcible wrote:Anyone go to the Brighton show? You lucky bastards got the Flowers of Hell and the Notorious Hi-Fi Killers too!
Hi Mark,

Yes I was there. I drove down from Rugby on the Saturday afternoon with my mate Tim, and we got there just after Flowers of Hell had started. The bouncer reckoned there was only one ticket left, which I had taken as a wind-up. However he kindly let us in, and true enough there was only space for one more. The guy at the front desk was very understanding (and I'm sure taken with my 'Drugby' t-shirt) and with a sigh of relief we got in.

It's a tiny venue and didn't seem to be too full at first. Sonic was stood at the back watching Flowers of Hell. I hadn't heard of them, but the write up on the Freebutt website mentioned a 10 piece with soaring strings and brass which sounded kind of interesting. Well they were a 6 piece, with a violinist and a keyboard player who also played the odd note on a trumpet. Having said that they fitted the whole Spacemen theme quite nicely, with a tasty drone sitting behind everything they did.

The placed started filling up for the Notorious Hi-Fi Killers (never heard of them / don't get out much). They rocked! Sadly my view was obscured by a pillar, but I saw enough to know I wanted to see more.

We then made our way to the front, next to (I think) Jack from Enraptured (was it you Jack? I met you at a Slipstream gig 2 or 3 years ago, but didn't want to ask...) who was recording the whole thing. The place was packed by the time Spectrum came on stage and they were turning people away outside (my mate kept nipping out for a smoke).

I really enjoyed the show - can't add much more to what's already been said about their other shows. Alex seemed more relaxed than the descriptions of him at earlier shows. Sound-wise there was a slight lack of intensity, but that may be because we were too far forward. Pete seemed on top form, enjoying some banter with the crowd, and suffering some problems between the vocal mic and the monitors (it was REALLY crackly early on). Not too sure what he thought of the show though, as I thought I should say hello after the gig (folk were very interested in where he'd got his mocassins) and mentioned we'd come from Rugby - "You came all the way from Rugby for THIS??".

Then headed home straight through the middle of London (to keep me awake), which was a bit surreal being surrounded by the beautiful people on fixie bikes in Brixton at 1am, and got home at 2:30am.

Just in case he's reading - big thanks to TIm for providing a fantastically eclectic soundtrack (Cope's Peggy Suicide, The The's Infected, Lupine Howl's Carniverous Lunar Activities, Divine Comedy's Regeneration, Santogold to name a few), there and back :D

Ramble over.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I also went to the Brighton show, it was pretty damn good.

Like a plonker i missed the Flowers of Hell (had no idea they were supporting) but I did pick up the Flowers/Will Carruthers EP. Notorious Hi Fi killers were really good though- some great guitar sounds.

Loved the opening song Mary, great organ sound (Sonic is a man who certainly knows how to put together a drone or two), what album is this song off? Thought the next couple were okay but a bit dull. It was the heavier numbers that really hit the spot for me- as someone who was barely out of nappies when the Spacemen were first around, it was so awesome to hear Revolution, When Tomorrow Hits etc live. Suicide was amazing - they left it droning for a couple of minutes after the set until Sonic and Alex came back on stage to squeeze every nuance of it before.. silence!! great stuff.

Although Sonic didn't seem happy with the sound and was having a few problems, it all sounded just fine to me.

I do remember seeing a 'drugby' t shirt! Other enduring images are the very Sp3 projection/lightshow and and the guy in the front row who was obviously on some very strong drugs- even every leak of feedback and organ drone between songs made him look like he was in ecstacy!

Sonics shoes were pretty cool- they had some tassle things on the side. He also looks amazingly young.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote: Loved the opening song Mary, great organ sound (Sonic is a man who certainly knows how to put together a drone or two), what album is this song off?
That's off the Captain Memphis 'Indian Giver' CD. Fantastic CD that seems to get better with every play - essential listening.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Loved the opening song Mary, great organ sound (Sonic is a man who certainly knows how to put together a drone or two), what album is this song off?
That's off the Captain Memphis 'Indian Giver' CD. Fantastic CD that seems to get better with every play - essential listening.
thanks- i'll have to check it out!
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Freak Scene wrote:
Hi Jim, its Mark here from The Lucid Dream. Thanks very much for those compliments, appreciated very much. I loved every minute of Friday (we where also minus a guitarist that night), and I loved Leeds the same, had plenty of ppl get in touch re. them, both nights will last long in my memory. Been in the company of your all time hero for 2 days is surreal!Back down to earth with work this morning
Hi Mark, no probs, really enjoyed it thanks, right up my street that kind of stuff, i was pure zoning out to some of the grooves you were getting locked into, as i said earlier i could have happily listened to it for hours. Have you got any demos / releases etc out?

Have to agree with you on Suicide, totally blew me away, i bust into a huge smile everytime i think about it, I'm still bleating on about it to anyone that will listen. The whole set was an absolute beast!

Thanks again for a top night everyone.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Yeah we had a split 10" out in September but I think its sold out. We are recording in Wales this week for an EP due early September. We also are having 2 sets of limited cassettes released in the run up to it (50 copies only). The labels idea, but a cool one I reckon, one of them will feature the long tune we finished with, which you mentioned. We recorded it for a radio session last week. I would e-mail you it but its too large as it clocks in at 12 and half mins, we have demos on the site too,

Did anybody catch Dom Keller @ Nottingham?
Poccya
New user

Post by Poccya »

Jebus Sabes wrote:Leeds recording is up on dimeadozen:
I put this one up - does anyone know of any other recordings from this tour that have come to light?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Was that you that recorded it Poccya? It's a really nice and clean cut I have to say. Very clear and worth tracking down for anyone interested. I didn't notice anyone taping at the time...
Poccya
New user

Post by Poccya »

runcible wrote:Was that you that recorded it Poccya? It's a really nice and clean cut I have to say. Very clear and worth tracking down for anyone interested. I didn't notice anyone taping at the time...
Yes, twas me. Thanks for that.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Can anyone megaupload?
I'm not on dime.

Cheers.

Has everyone heard the Spectrum set from Oya in Norway (i think). It's from a couple of years ago with just Sonic and machines - the set with the Kraftwerk and Laurie Anderson covers. I'll upload it when i can work out how to.
Poccya
New user

Post by Poccya »

ononist wrote:Can anyone megaupload?
suicide http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C9GELEG2
heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

Poccya wrote:
Jebus Sabes wrote:Leeds recording is up on dimeadozen:
I put this one up - does anyone know of any other recordings from this tour that have come to light?

Can't find a download tab on dime, not used before & just puts up info etc, dying to hear as was there & was awesome. Only heard Suicide from megaupload so far!!

Any tips?????
'I've had my fix, too much of it,
I'm losing track of time in 200 bars'
heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

ononist wrote:Can anyone megaupload?
I'm not on dime.

Cheers.

Has everyone heard the Spectrum set from Oya in Norway (i think). It's from a couple of years ago with just Sonic and machines - the set with the Kraftwerk and Laurie Anderson covers. I'll upload it when i can work out how to.

Look foward to that one, hopefully not as hard to get as leeds one, my heeds fartin, been tryin for hours sinking more beers & still no result :x
'I've had my fix, too much of it,
I'm losing track of time in 200 bars'