Best way to buy/listen to Spectrum/EAR

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Best way to buy/listen to Spectrum/EAR

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Hi di hi, chicken pies...

got a strong urge to finally/fully explore PK's output in solo-esque form...

looking for pointers as to where to start/go from...

I have Mesmerised and Indian Giver so far and was thinking Refractions/Forever Alien/Beyond The Pale

Ideally (and as my usual) would like to work in a chronological order however with SK(GD)/Spectrum/HLHB being slightly unfindable or the priceage being in extreme looking for alternative optionage...

Ta,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
nasty
Known user

Re: Best way to buy/listen to Spectrum/EAR

Post by nasty »

Beyond the pale is one of my EAR faves. I think this one's been rereleased too?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Phenomema 256 is pretty decent. I also like live at the Dream Palace. I think Forever Alien was ahead of its time, it seemed pretty out there in parts when it was released, but now... 8)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's a real shame that the 1st Spectrum, Soul Kiss and Highs Lows aren't available. These are all key releases and I assume because Silvertone hold the rights and gave up on Pete years ago they won't be re-released until Third Stone and Spaceage can somehow wrestle the rights back. Soul Kiss, particularly, is absolutely magnificent and a real trip to listen to - it veers all over the place and sits right up there with any post Spacemen 3 release. Ebay seems the only option for this stuff. Those collections you mention are good too.

Personally I'm not that into the EAR stuff - Mesmerised is good and there are certainly moments on the other albums which are enjoyable but I don't get Data Rape at all, and much of the EAR stuff is a tough listen if you play it all. The Koner Experiment has some enjoyable stuff. You might find Forever Alien less accessible too - it's more synth orientated but has some fine moments such as And Then I Just Drifted Away and is certainly more appealing to me than the EAR material.

No advice to offer on local sights Rugby-wise. I've been there a few times but not done much travelling in the area.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

sunray wrote:Phenomema 256 is pretty decent. I also like live at the Dream Palace. I think Forever Alien was ahead of its time, it seemed pretty out there in parts when it was released, but now... 8)
Ahh, apologies I have Phenomena 256 and not Mesmerised...problem with names and faces as usual.
Shoulders back, smash it
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

eleKtroniK:musiK wrote:
Ahh, apologies I have Phenomena 256 and not Mesmerised...problem with names and faces as usual.
Mesmerised is the best EAR IMHO. Real bliss out flat on your back material. Recommended.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

runcible wrote:You might find Forever Alien less accessible too - it's more synth orientated but has some fine moments such as And Then I Just Drifted Away and is certainly more appealing to me than the EAR material.

No advice to offer on local sights Rugby-wise. I've been there a few times but not done much travelling in the area.
I'm quite keen to come back as a synth in my next life (seriously between the list of equipment PK has at new atlantis to the pics of Sasu Ripatti in Feb '08 Wire, there's a few creamy moments!)...therefore that'l be where I start as the bidding on Refractions has just gone throught the roof and also Mesmerised as it's previous from Phenomenenomon...

Many thankX,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Refractions is available here for a decent price..

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/181007/ ... oduct.html

I'm much more of a Spectrum than EAR fan though Mesmerised is probably my favourite of EAR.

Try Soul Kiss first, then Highs, Lows & Heavenly Blows, which was my highest e-bay purchase, €40 for a great vinyl copy :D...

Then I just Drifted Away is on this one, it's more song based than Soul Kiss which is a real trip..
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Ta for that Broc...just forwarded it to my gf as it's my bday next saturday...plenty music and socks too look forward too...

and now back to synths...anyone with a spare 45K? Maybe PK could add to his EMS collection...it's available on ebay

lovely jubbly,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

i appear to have just purchased an alleged mint copy of 'Soul Kiss' from amazon marketplace, with oily sleeve intact for £25....not too bad, i've seen the none oil sleeves in 'good' condition go for a bit more than that. Cant wait to listen, havent heard it for years. I did enquire with Pete a couple of years ago about reissuing this and 'Highs, Lows' and he said that it was in the pipeline to be done 'shortly'....that was 2 years ago... :?
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

You have got to - got to - get hold of Soul Kiss. It is still the best post-Spacemen record that either Peter or Jason have made. Download it if you must, it's not as if you'll be doing Peter out of any royalties if its not available (and I'm sure that once you've heard it, you'll buy a regular copy if it ever is reissued).
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I don't think there's really a wrong way to do it. I'm on the same page as Runcible regarding Sonic's highlights. I would not spend a ton of money on Ebay (I think I paid $40 for Highs, Lows) because at some point this stuff is going to be in print again, probably with some sort of upgrade (packaging or bonus tracks or something). If it's not in print and you can't find it cheap, download it. When it is in print again you can buy a legit copy and Pete will get a few bucks instead of you feeding an overpriced collector's market.

As far as the listening experience, I would go through the Spectrum albums in chronological order because it gives a good idea of how Pete's sound progressed. Then try out the EPs, compilations, and EAR stuff if you still want more.

Sonic's "Spectrum" - I think this one is okay. Some good tracks, some mediocre ones. It feels like a Spacemen 3 side project, instead of a fully realized album in it's own right. Jason and the other guys play on it.

Soul Kiss - Blissful, spacey, dreamy, with long instrumental passages. This is probably my favorite.

Highs, Lows - The aesthetic is similar to Soul Kiss, but with more concise songs. Easily the Spectrum album with the broadest appeal, and has more killer songs than any other release. "And Then I Just Drifted Away" melts me every time.

Forever Alien - A couple of good songs, and a couple of mildly embarrassing ones, and some interesting sounds inbetween. If you're really into the EAR stuff, you'll probably like this album. But for me, it's when Sonic began to let tonal fetishes overwhelm the music.

What Came Before After - I think this is out of print? It collects a lot of b-sides and singles, a few of which are on Refractions. But if you get this and the albums, Refractions is inessential (is there any exclusive track on it?). Some of these stray tracks aren't very good, but it's worth having, and if you didn't like Forever Alien then this will wash the bad taste out of your mouth because some of the songs are gorgeous.

The EPS - I didn't collect a lot of the singles, because most of the stuff I cared about wound up on What Came Before After. Some of the later EPs are mainly instrumental EAR-type stuff. It's cool hearing Sonic do A Pox On You, but it's not that different than the original and the rest of the tracks are sort of boring. I wouldn't bother with this stuff unless you get everything else and you simply MUST have more Spectrum.

Live Chronicles - There's two volumes to this and it was initially sold as CDRs via the internet as a limited edition deal. Later on it wound up in stores but I don't know how many were put out or if it's still in print. I bought one of these in a store in Santa Cruz and by the time I got to San Jose (45 minutes) I stopped at a different branch of the same store and returned it. If you're a collector and want everything Sonic put out, it's worth having. There are a couple of good performances on the disc I had, but for me the listening experience was infuriating. Often the sound quality is really bad, and on a few tracks a radio announcer speaks over the end or beginning of the songs. The internet was made for downloading this kind of stuff for free, I would leave it alone if you come across it. Unless it's used and real cheap.

EAR - At one point I had almost every EAR album (I found them for cheap and got most of them at the same time), and I eventually sold all of them but Mesmerized which is easily the most listenable and sounds kinda like a combination of peak Spectrum and Dreamweapon. Not as minimal as some stuff and not harsh and glitchy. The Koner Experiment is decent, but pretty bare bones. I liked the concept of Data Rape but couldn't listen to it for more than a couple minutes at a time. For me, most of the EAR stuff is experiments that don't really lead anywhere or pay off very much. If you get off on listening to somebody dick around with analog synths and an array of pedals, then you'll dig it.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Damn good description!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Again I've got muddled between track titles on Highs Lows and Forever Alien. The song I meant to draw attention to is Feels Just Like I'm Slipping Away. Slipping? Drifting? Sort of similar...
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

Ian wrote:You have got to - got to - get hold of Soul Kiss. It is still the best post-Spacemen record that either Peter or Jason have made..

hahahahahahahahaha*COUGH*COUGH*hahahahahahahahahaha!

jesus, thanks for the laugh ian.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

supershonn wrote:
Ian wrote:You have got to - got to - get hold of Soul Kiss. It is still the best post-Spacemen record that either Peter or Jason have made..
hahahahahahahahaha*COUGH*COUGH*hahahahahahahahahaha!

jesus, thanks for the laugh ian.
You know it's true!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I know where Ian is coming from. I'd say Lazer Guided melodies is a better album but there isn't anything else that's come from either camp that's better than Soul Kiss. Seriously Shonn - it's a truly incredible release.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

runcible wrote:I know where Ian is coming from. I'd say Lazer Guided melodies is a better album but there isn't anything else that's come from either camp that's better than Soul Kiss. Seriously Shonn - it's a truly incredible release.
I'll third that motion!

It's a gorgeous album. Sounds like nothing else I've heard in places.

I saw Spectrum the other night and it reminded me why I've always been a bit more predisposed to SP3 and much of Pete's work. It has a real simplicity, primalness and anger that Spiritualized just doesn't have.
supershonn
Known user

Post by supershonn »

in all honesty i really do like the album....alot. but by no means do i feel it's the best thing post SP3. that would be 'guitar loops' of course!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Soul Kiss is definitely the best thing Sonic's done post Spacemen, absolutely gorgeous work. In fact, i reckon i may well have listened to it more times than LGM which is easily my fave Spiritualized album.

As for Highs Lows, i too melt every time i hear And Then I Just Drifted Away. And Mesmerised is far and away the best EAR release, kinda like a stripped down Soul Kiss. Never really liked the Koner Experiment, pretty boring to me.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Ian wrote:You have got to - got to - get hold of Soul Kiss. It is still the best post-Spacemen record that either Peter or Jason have made.
I agree with Ian here, Jason's best work was on Side 2 of Recurring imo. He revisited his Spacemen 3 back catalogue many times to varying degrees of success, usually little success really. How many versions of Feel So Sad are there? I still think the original is by far the best. All of my Tears is awful compared to the original as is Lord Can You Hear Me?

While I still like Spiritualised and was pleasantly surprised with A+E, he's been writing the same song and lyrics for years now.

If it was Desert Island Discs time and I was allowed the Spacemen 3 catalogue and the solo work of Jason or Sonic there would be no contest.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Soul Kiss is amazing, funny no one mentions EAR's Phenonmena 256. I find it kinda a sister lp to Highs, Lows....
Hell even the second track "feedback" is under another title on 256. Also sports a cool Ausgang cover painting too!

Hey Shonn!!

www.myspace.com/oldtoytrains
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Seems like I'm working in chronological order after all...

managed to pick up Sonic Boom - Spectrum today for a decent price...just need to dust off the ol' record player now...

flamingrev, many thanks for your input

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

The coolest thing about the Spectrum lp is the cover.

And that's not meant as an insult to the music. The cover is just so damn awesome.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The cover is indeed very impressive, but there are many copies without the spinning discs on the front which are less fun.

I agree that it sounds like a side project - the other Spacemen all played on it of course (including Jason) - but there are some really excellent songs on it. I remember many years ago when I was at the Reading Festival (1990?) and as I walked back to my tent late at night there was smoke from the campfires being blown steadily across the site through these spotlights someone had set up so they shone into the sky. As I got closer I heard the strains of 'If I Should Die' being played pretty loudly on some sound system, and set against the backdrop of smoke, lights and a head full of weed it was absolutely incredible. Perfect.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

someone mentioned that "refractions" was going for a lot of money. You can still buy it from Sonic via his web page or Myspace pages....I'm sure it isn't going for more than the price of a new cd. No reason to ebay it at that price right?
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Well...thats forever alien on it's way...hopefully with SK(GD) in tow later in the week...

Beyond the pale landed this afternoon, have it on right now...what i expected from listening to 256 but something dune-esque about it...i dunno...needs more attenzione

a river derci,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

runcible wrote:...and a head full of weed...
Dragged through a hedge backwards? :mrgreen:
Shoulders back, smash it
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Beyond the Pale is rad. Cheers for reminding me about that. Going to put it on now. :D
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

I am always surprised when this topic comes up that nobody mentions the Continuum and Vibrations releases. These are, in my opinion, the best EAR records and (I thought) the most accesable. Both are from the same period, possibly utilizing the same /similar gear and explore the electronic treatment of melodic/harmonic musical patterns. The pieces emote that 'strange but familiar' feeling of which Sonic is a master. I know that these were also inspired by the late Delia Derbyshire, who Sonic was spending time with around then.
I'm into a lot of avant/electronic/experimental music so maybe EAR is closer to my tastes than most people's here, but there is NO comparison between these compositions and Jason's recent exploration into the avant garde (Guitar Loops and Spaceship). I think of those as more of just messing around/having fun without the pressure of making a 'record', where as the EAR records are very compositional, tho maybe not intentionally so. I'm not intending to start a flame war here, only pointing out my constant surprise that Continuum/Vibrations have been passed over by most fans of Spacemen3/Spectrum/Spiritualized.
Also, if you can track it down, the Rocket Girl release of the Vibrations EP wins the prize for packaging of any of Spacemen related record (I'd hand it to Soul Kiss but there is no oil left in my sleeve... oh, well).

If I had to pick another EAR, I would say Pestrepeller. This wasn't really one that I got into right away but has grown on me over the years.

Mesmerized and Phenomena256 seems to be the ones that most people gravitate to but I'm guessing that they sound the most familiar. The pieces here are more along the lines of the more instrumental/experimental pieces of Soul Kiss. Fans of these records might also like the more recent, Worn to a Shadow...

I like Data Rape, but I really need to be in the mood.

But again, if I could take, say Recurring, shatter it into a million grains and closely inspect each piece, I think it they would sound like Continuum/Vibrations (with a telecaster on top). I doubt many people see it, but it is all there.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Just picked up Soul Kiss oil cover vinyl for £28 after years of trying, but struggling to find the EAR vinyls. I guess its just a case of biding my time on e bay, I picked up Data Rape 7" at the shows in February, they had tonnes of the vinyls but it was the wrong side of pay day!
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I'll agree with SynthiA, Vibrations is awesome and the cover is the shizznit. Pesterpeller is good too.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

One of my favourite Spectrum tracks is "Go To Sleep" off the "Undo the Taboo" 12". It's got such a laid back/lullaby vibe to it. If "Highs, Lows .... " is ever re-issued then I hope this track is included on it. I'm surprised that it wasn't included on "What came before after" and/or Refractions.
Jaybee
New user

Post by Jaybee »

I recently bought CD's of Soul Kiss & Highs Lows... on the amazon.com (not .co.uk) marketplace, so keep an eye on there. They were about $25/£17 each with postage to the UK, I think. Both were in excellent condition, and Soul Kiss was the oily version (although the plastic smells a bit off!).

http://www.amazon.com/Highs-Lows-Heaven ... 010&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Kiss-Glide-D ... pd_sim_m_1

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Kiss-Glide-D ... 108&sr=1-2