WAR SUCKS

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

porkchop
Known user

WAR SUCKS

Post by porkchop »

Goto www.myspace.com/mindexpansionrecords to hear the title track from the new Spectrum ep!!
niamhm
Known user

Re: WAR SUCKS

Post by niamhm »

Now that sounds f8ckin` great... that Tardis type noise.. thank goodness I`m laying of the trips coz this would be real ....intense!
smellynobcheese
Known user

Post by smellynobcheese »

Yeah ...boring. The original is better
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Not bad. I would prefer a little more percussion than just some crash cymbals.

It seems like a song The Black Angels would cover really well.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nowt wrong with that.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Dear all,

I read that Pete did the “War Sucks” EP where obviously there’s the same cover of Red Krayola. No surprise, in the last gigs he played that song more times for our happiness.

But I think that Pete could choose a different song to cover because he already used with Spacemen 3 “Transparent Radiation” of Mayo …The same for the Elevators covers…

You know…Pete could choose a Velvet song, Clash, Stones, etc…

Sometimes I think that Pete is too repetitive; for example, in the last album, “Indian Giver”, he could insert new songs or new covers different from the songs he chose (Hey man, Take your time and so on)

But this is only my thought that could be true or false…and Pete is one of my favourite musician

Fede from Venice
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

He's been tacking on a verse or 2 of War Sucks live at the end of Revolution for some time now. Last year saw it get its own space live. One of the highlights for me of last years sets(along with how you satisfy me, etc). I hoped this version would've captured the live vibrations..which it does, but agreed, needs more drums. That "nebelwerfer strains - a kind of ‘Stalin organ’ used in WW2 by the Germans to invoke as much chaos , noise and fear as possible" is awesome though. :mrgreen:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Well I like it - sounds like proper Spectrum and he's interpreted it really well. Nothing wrong with covering more than one track by the same band if it works out well.
smellynobcheese
Known user

Do you think anyone has ever told him he can't sing ...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

smellynobcheese wrote:Do you think anyone has ever told him he can't sing ...
What nonsense. See elsewhere here - I'm not alone in thinking his voice is really excellent.
smellynobcheese
Known user

Oh Really?! Can I ask you something - answer me honestly....Can you tell when someone sings in tune?
Fact: He can't sing to save his life - ...don't get me wrong when he mumbles/talks - that's fine..Songs like "How does it Feel", "Revolution", "Let me down gently" - they're fantastic! . But " Transparent Radiation" - I would rather listen to Red Crayola's version..the guys just kills the song with his singing (although the musical arrangement/instrumental) is fantastic and very cleverly done ...
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Who gives a fuck whether he (or anyone else) sings in tune or not, if it works it works (and it does), that’s all that matters.

Jesus, Mayo Thompson doesn’t sound like he could hold a tune in a bucket, still works though.

IMO Spacemen 3 made Transparent Radiation their own.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

"All my favourite singers couldn't sing, oh yeah, all my favourite singers couldn't sing..." - The Silver Jews

Jason has hit a few bum notes in his time too....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

smellynobcheese wrote:Oh Really?! Can I ask you something - answer me honestly....Can you tell when someone sings in tune?
Fact: He can't sing to save his life - ...don't get me wrong when he mumbles/talks - that's fine..Songs like "How does it Feel", "Revolution", "Let me down gently" - they're fantastic! . But " Transparent Radiation" - I would rather listen to Red Crayola's version..the guys just kills the song with his singing (although the musical arrangement/instrumental) is fantastic and very cleverly done ...
I disagree. I think his vocals on TR are excellent and think he gets it just right and I'd agree with NickH that this has become more of a Spacemen song than Red Crayola.

Compare his vocals on Take Your Time to the original - his voice just oozes warmth and it sounds brilliant. Seems in tune to me. Having said that singing isn't always about being in tune, and nor is music. If it works then what does it matter and, for me, Pete's voice works well.

A new thread beckons of people who really can't sing but have unique voices and are brilliant vocalists:
Wayne Coyne, Neil Young, Mick Jagger... None of these guys can really sing properly but have such individual sounding voices they work superbly.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

That’s a list as long as your arm but kind of misses the point really.

Would Louie, Louie (Kingsmen version) have sounded as good if the singer didn’t sound like he’d been in a pub for a few hours before recording the vocals? Would the Velvet Underground have been the band they were with pitch perfect singers? Would Spacemen 3 have been any better if Sonic and Jase had written songs with multiple key changes and with complicated chord progressions?

Probably not.

I always remember an interview with Lou Reed saying you take three chords, make it be about something and turn it up.

I agree 100% with him, it’s rock n roll man, it’s not supposed to be perfect. The lack of technical ability is what makes it beautiful.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

War Sucks sounds fantastic great teaser for the album personally i love Petes singing and TR is in my opinion the greatest 12" ever just perfect (though Rollercoaster/Feel So Good is pretty amazing as well)
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

It's 2009 and folks are still arguing about whether singing in tune is essential to rock and roll? Wow.

The singing must be appropriate for the song, that's the only rule I have. Beyond that, it's just a matter of whether I like the sound of it. Unfortunately, I don't think I like War Sucks. Still holding out hope for a good Laurie Anderson cover.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

flamingrev wrote:It's 2009 and folks are still arguing about whether singing in tune is essential to rock and roll? Wow.

The singing must be appropriate for the song, that's the only rule I have.
Yeah, I'd say that sums it up actually. For the record I didn't say singing in tune was important, I just argued that Pete can sing!
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

There is a good interview here with another track off the ep.
http://www.philebrity.com/2009/04/23/ta ... er-kember/

thanks to Britta.

www.myspace.com/oldtoytrains
smellynobcheese
Known user

It seems like my personal critisism of Pete's voice hasn't gone down too well. Each to their own ... but in my opinion the only version of Transparent Radiation that "works" (for me) is the version on Spacemen 3 "The Singles" - not the version of Perfect Prescription but the other one (maybe you know which one I mean) ..... his singing out of tune, in that version does work...Don't get me wrong - I love Spacemen 3, I was lucky enough to see them once during my lifetime in 1987. But I believe that first incarnation (with Pete Bains) in the group was the true/raw version of Spacemen 3.

One other thing - some of you mentioned Lou Reed/VU, Mick Jagger ... I don't really think you can compare these musical geniouses to Sonic Boom. Whether they sang in tune or not - they are in a class of their own in terms of their musical ability, composition/lyrics, creativity and imagination ...
Last edited by smellynobcheese on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

ive always been a bit partial to the transparent radiation demo on the morrocan mayhem 7" i think its from the out of it demos,
rolling rolling rolling
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

porkchop wrote:He's been tacking on a verse or 2 of War Sucks live at the end of Revolution for some time now. Last year saw it get its own space live. One of the highlights for me of last years sets(along with how you satisfy me, etc). I hoped this version would've captured the live vibrations..which it does, but agreed, needs more drums. That "nebelwerfer strains - a kind of ‘Stalin organ’ used in WW2 by the Germans to invoke as much chaos , noise and fear as possible" is awesome though. :mrgreen:
thanks, porkchop. i ordered the ep right after visiting mind expansion's myspace. i really like this title track.
here's "revolution / war sucks" live video. it sounds good on live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&v=R6zWzA5k9EQ
i hope they will come back in tokyo on this tour coz i missed them last year. :(
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

smellynobcheese wrote:One other thing - some of you mentioned Lou Reed/VU, Mick Jagger ... I don't really think you can compare these musical geniouses to Sonic Boom. Whether they sang in tune or not - they are in a class of their own in terms of their musical ability, composition/lyrics, creativity and imagination ...
Music is completely subjective. Of course the Stones and the Velvets have had more impact on music than Spacemen 3 but I have personally got more enjoyment out of the Spacemen's music so I'd say I prefer them, and it makes them a superior band in terms of what I want to listen to. I didn't compare them as musicians at any point, I just said Mick Jagger can't sing, which he can't - yet he remains one of the great vocalosts. No one compared Lou Reed to Sonic Boom, they just quoted him.
smellynobcheese
Known user

runcible wrote:
smellynobcheese wrote:One other thing - some of you mentioned Lou Reed/VU, Mick Jagger ... I don't really think you can compare these musical geniouses to Sonic Boom. Whether they sang in tune or not - they are in a class of their own in terms of their musical ability, composition/lyrics, creativity and imagination ...
Music is completely subjective. Of course the Stones and the Velvets have had more impact on music than Spacemen 3 but I have personally got more enjoyment out of the Spacemen's music so I'd say I prefer them, and it makes them a superior band in terms of what I want to listen to. I didn't compare them as musicians at any point, I just said Mick Jagger can't sing, which he can't - yet he remains one of the great vocalosts. No one compared Lou Reed to Sonic Boom, they just quoted him.
Sure Runcible, I take your point - what do you find enjoyable about SP3's music? For me - if I am tripping or having sex - Revolution, Rollercoaster or Suicide(Live/Melkweg) goes hand in hand ...although they had a propensity for taking
riffs from other bands music (e.g. MC5, Suicide) .... who hasn't .... I do believe they have done some fantastic covers - I love Ode to Street Hassle and their cover of Roky Erickson's Rollercoaster ...totally exceptional!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

smellynobcheese wrote:
what do you find enjoyable about SP3's music?
That'd be a long answer but in a nutshell... What they were saying had many aspects of how I viewed life and things around me - that was important. Plus the barrage of guitar distortion is a sound I particularly like and they did it better than anyone else - Jason's wah-wah is still one of the best noises I can think of. I used to listen to them when I was tripping but I haven't done that for at least 12 years so that's no longer part of it.
smellynobcheese
Known user

Yeah - I think that they really understood psychedelia and all the feelings associated with it. It just goes hand in hand with "having a good time" ... I'm not really into Spiritualized that much - there is something missing from their music ...But I like "The Darkside" - saw them in 1991 ... not sure what Pete Bains is upto now ... I saw Rosco at the Black Gardenia, Soho about a month ago - that was pretty weird too ...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

smellynobcheese wrote:Yeah - I think that they really understood psychedelia and all the feelings associated with it. It just goes hand in hand with "having a good time" ... I'm not really into Spiritualized that much - there is something missing from their music ...But I like "The Darkside" - saw them in 1991 ... not sure what Pete Bains is upto now ... I saw Rosco at the Black Gardenia, Soho about a month ago - that was pretty weird too ...
They also came across as being from the same bunch of people who were into their music. I know a lot of people really tuned in to what they were saying and the lives they were leading. The heroin part aside there were many people in the 80s taking drugs in a similar way and to have a band openly singing and talking about that when it was so frowned upon was very unusual. It was more than having a good time, it was a lifestyle. I knew a lot of people who were living it at that time. The Spacemen sang about the bad times too and that's very important. The lyrics of Things'll Never Be The Same sum up where they were coming from. Alan Cohaul described it up rather nicely when he said this about Spacemen 3:
alan_cohaul wrote:
who, IMHO, really nailed that vibe of frustration, and confused terror that SP3 did in their darkest songs, which sometimes permeated their mellow songs
I heard Pete Bain was doing something with Alpha Stone again. I hope so as a lot of that was pretty good. The Darkside were quite good live but Pete's low vocal style never quite worked (we're back onto vocals again!).
smellynobcheese
Known user

I thought "Things will never be the same" was about the feelings associated with your first trip (?) I suppose PK is better at answering that, than me ...

I'm afraid, I beg to differ with you: I think Pete Bains vocals are pretty good (despite the fact he sings out of tune) - just sounds fucking weird ... :o :o :) I saw the Darkside around 1991 in Bradford Town Hall..there were about 5-6 people there (including myself) ...and one of the members of the audience was Jason Pierce!

Have you heard the album "Psychedelic Ubik" by Rosco?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I thought Things was more about smack. The sort of 'everything is shit' type feeling but there's still heroin to go back to - 'I had a girl/gave her my cash/that kind of love just aint gonna last/I know a stuff that's as good every time'. It's a really bleak and desperate song.

We'll agree to differ on Pete Bain's vocals. Much of the time they make me cringe even though I like a lot of the music. His 'Neil from the Young Ones' style - 'Love is everywhere/but do you really care' - still cracks me up! Have you heard the live Psychedelicise Suburbia album? That's really good. I prefer the way he sang - more upbeat - on Alpha Stone's stuff.

I have a single by Psychedelic Ubik which is dancey and I don't like it. I have that solo album which sounds more like Spectrum than anything else much of the time - he even seems to be trying to sound like Pete K on occasion ('sometimes I'm so messed up I don't know what to do'). That said there are some really good bits on that album..
smellynobcheese
Known user

Yes not sure - You'd have to ask PK on that - I read in some interview with either PK or JP it's about your first trip?

Haha ...think that song is called "Burning universe" ... and now you mention it, he does sound like Neil ...haha..Yes, I have the picture disc LP of Psychedelicise Suburbia..heard bits from it ... it's good! I liked Psychedelic Ubik ... I don't think he's copying PK have you heard Rosco's version of Revolution?

What do you think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Ws95iA2qg

I think it's one of the best live versions of Revolution I've heard in a while ....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I thought the lines 'I know a stuff that's as good every time/But it's still gonna rob me of everything that's mine' and 'we'll put some love deep in our veins' are more smack-eque than anything.

Picture disc of Psychedelicise Suburbia? You sure? I haven't seen that but I have one of All That Noise, the first album. The Darkside's guitarist, Kev Cowan, is very underrated - he played in Spiritualized and in a band with Pete K too at some point.

I haven't heard Rosco's Revolution and didn't even know he did one. I'll check out your clip when I'm at home as I can't access that stuff at work with sound. Looks good though!
smellynobcheese
Known user

Hiya - sorry, just checked I was mistaken - it's Melomania that I have ... Thought I had Psy. Suburbia but I haven't ...
I'm at work too - well, working from home :wink:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Does anyone know if this ep will be available in the UK or does it have to be mail orderd from Mind Expansion?
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

Its only two dollars difference ordering it from the states. If you wait for Spaceage to bring it out you could be waiting some time. They have advertised it on their email update, but dont mention it coming out here as well.

Just checked out Razzle Dazzle Mind. Was pretty pleased when I heard War Sucks, but this sounds great too. With those two tracks Pete is clearly back on MC5 black to comm territory, which is fine with me.

Funny the reference in this thread to Kevin Cowan- one of the guitar parts in Razzle Dazzle Mind reminds me vaguely of his guitar on Guitar Voodoo the lead track off All That Noise...
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

By the way in answer to what Pete Bain is doing now as queried above, he is in a band called the Urgz and (I believe) putting together a new Alpha Stone set. I have seen the Urgz play a few times around Rugby and they are really good. They do a great version of Primitive by the Groupies as well as some really good new originals. He has an Urgz and Alphastone myspace- you should pop in and say hi, he is a nice guy and continues to make some great music. He is also very supportive of the bands in Rugby who are trying to keep the psychedelic flag flying.

I think Bassman, Rosco, Will Carruthers and Spectrum are all (separately sadly) due to feature on the next Mind Expansion compilation. Almost a full set of spacemen...!

Re the Darkside lyrics- there ares some great Darkside lyrics- Waiting for The Angels for example. Having said that, I think Pete would probably admit there were a few that he would do differently if he was doing again. From what I understand I think the band were under a lot of pressure from Beggars Banquet to finish the record and he had to bash them out. He has, I think, sequenced an alternative version of All That Noise with Love in a Burning Universe and Soul Deep as instrumentals. That would be pretty fine album if that was out there.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

I like Psychedelic Ubik. Some of the beat drivin' stuff not so much. But, there's some good stuff on there. Rosco's record with Sky Sunlight Saxon is also a great listen.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

"
"I think Bassman, Rosco, Will Carruthers and Spectrum are all (separately sadly) due to feature on the next Mind Expansion compilation. Almost a full set of spacemen...!"

There will also be Suicide, Sky Saxon, loads of great stuff.

The first 2 comps are damn good too.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

porkchop wrote:"
"I think Bassman, Rosco, Will Carruthers and Spectrum are all (separately sadly) due to feature on the next Mind Expansion compilation. Almost a full set of spacemen...!"

There will also be Suicide, Sky Saxon, loads of great stuff.

The first 2 comps are damn good too.
Couldn`t agree more bought both and lookin` forward to vol. 3
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I know the band has been together for a bit even though the guitarist has changed but it could be kev cowan. He was on a dean and britta track lot so long ago that sonic was involved with if i remember rightly.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

runcible wrote:Picture disc of Psychedelicise Suburbia? You sure? I haven't seen that but I have one of All That Noise, the first album. The Darkside's guitarist, Kev Cowan, is very underrated - he played in Spiritualized and in a band with Pete K too at some point.
The only Darkside picture discs I'm aware of are for All That Noise and Melomania. Pretty sure there isn't one for Psychedelise Suburbia. Kev Cowen is incredibly underrated - always though that he was the best guitarist out of the whole scene. He's on the live tracks from the "Let It Flow" EPs and was in Spectrum for a bit in 92-93 and again just a couple months ago. He's also part of Freelovebabies with Will C.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Chris Barrus wrote:Kev Cowen is incredibly underrated - always though that he was the best guitarist out of the whole scene. He's on the live tracks from the "Let It Flow" EPs
You may be right but that recording is from Glastonbury 1993 and I thought Mark Refoy was still present then (not for long though). Didn't Kev Cowan appear at Glastonbury 1994? I was there in 1993 but somewhat fucked up so my memory of who was on stage is slightly hazy to say the least.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
Chris Barrus wrote:Kev Cowen is incredibly underrated - always though that he was the best guitarist out of the whole scene. He's on the live tracks from the "Let It Flow" EPs
You may be right but that recording is from Glastonbury 1993 and I thought Mark Refoy was still present then (not for long though). Didn't Kev Cowan appear at Glastonbury 1994? I was there in 1993 but somewhat fucked up so my memory of who was on stage is slightly hazy to say the least.
I was there too and it is Mark Refoy on the Let it Flow cd's as it was indeed Glasto '93 those recordings are from. Kev Cowan was playing the following year.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

sunray wrote:I was there too and it is Mark Refoy on the Let it Flow cd's as it was indeed Glasto '93 those recordings are from. Kev Cowan was playing the following year.
Ah OK. I knew it was one of the Glastonburys.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

So, is it out yet? What do you think of the other tracks?
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

They got them in time for the LA gig. I think it's great. Walking and Falling sounds real good, the reverb on the overall tones in the song works real well right into Over and Over which you guys will love. Its instrumental but in the way you've been waiting for. There's a great bit where the "Let me down Gently" sample just echos for the rest of the song with really good guitar lines.
Solid release. :mrgreen:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Anyone else surprised at the price tag at shows? I went up to sonic's manager (?) who was selling merch and she said, "$10." I nearly crapped myself. It's a 4-song EP in a cardboard sleeve. $10. I had to borrow money from friends at the show to cover this one.
candidate
New user

Post by candidate »

Manager = Girlfriend

and I thought Pete was the one that said taking your girlfriend on tour splits up your band...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

candidate wrote:Manager = Girlfriend

and I thought Pete was the one that said taking your girlfriend on tour splits up your band...
Ah but it's the other way round - SHE is taking HIM. So It's OK.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Has anyone in the UK ordered this from Mind Expansion and received it yet?

Post by Fuzzhead »

I wonder when the vinyl version is being put out? On the Mind Expansion site it says simply "May" - but it seems a bit vague.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

toomilk wrote:Anyone else surprised at the price tag at shows? I went up to sonic's manager (?) who was selling merch and she said, "$10." I nearly crapped myself. It's a 4-song EP in a cardboard sleeve. $10. I had to borrow money from friends at the show to cover this one.
Anyone else surprised that one has to actually pay for music these days? Whatta' gype!

aghhm. I don't remember a 3-4 song ep costing any less in the 90's.

The only basis of this argument stands when you, the consumer, refuses the fundamental concept of an 'EP'(It wasn't THAT long ago that people on this very same board were bitching about the lack of EPs coming out of bands ((the most coveted SPZ songs are part of 3-4 song EPs))). Do you really think that you are entitled to free music. Can you really quantify the value of a song? Do you have any idea of the sacrifices and effort made by true artists and labels that take pride in having the opportunity to offer something decent? Can you please state you true intention so that I might understand this fucked up world I live in(or rather confirm it)?
I'm sure your also happy that Amoeba SF(and the rest to soon follow) is closing. Thanks to people like you we can all just lie down, forget the things wee luv and instead feel content to listen to Radiohead or Coldplay. Sound scary?
I'm scared!
--tom
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

http://www.mindexpansionrecords.com/

In the News section there's an advert for it saying the vinyl will be shipped out on 16th June. You can pre-order it from a link on there. Works out to £10 but maybe more with p&p on top.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

synthiA wrote:
toomilk wrote:Anyone else surprised at the price tag at shows? I went up to sonic's manager (?) who was selling merch and she said, "$10." I nearly crapped myself. It's a 4-song EP in a cardboard sleeve. $10. I had to borrow money from friends at the show to cover this one.
Anyone else surprised that one has to actually pay for music these days? Whatta' gype!

aghhm. I don't remember a 3-4 song ep costing any less in the 90's.

The only basis of this argument stands when you, the consumer, refuses the fundamental concept of an 'EP'(It wasn't THAT long ago that people on this very same board were bitching about the lack of EPs coming out of bands ((the most coveted SPZ songs are part of 3-4 song EPs))). Do you really think that you are entitled to free music. Can you really quantify the value of a song? Do you have any idea of the sacrifices and effort made by true artists and labels that take pride in having the opportunity to offer something decent? Can you please state you true intention so that I might understand this fucked up world I live in(or rather confirm it)?
I'm sure your also happy that Amoeba SF(and the rest to soon follow) is closing. Thanks to people like you we can all just lie down, forget the things wee luv and instead feel content to listen to Radiohead or Coldplay. Sound scary?
I'm scared!
--tom
Hi, tom...not convinced that Kev's (Is that right, toomilk?) post merited such strong recourse; I felt it was spoken very "matter of factly", however if you feel strongly about this issue, start a new thread and I'm sure there would be many willing conributors.

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I paid 10$ for "the spectrum and silver apples - a lake of teardrops" in ´98 but that was probably because it was special import to sweden.. most ep:s were 6-7$ in the late 90:s.
If you guys are talking about vinyl then 10$ is a bargain.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

$10 seems reasonable.

"Amoeba SF(and the rest to soon follow) is closing. "

WHAT?WHAT?WHAT?WHAT?WHAT?WHAT?
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I can't find any info about Amoeba closing. Where did you hear this?
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

The amoeba closing is news to me(though I don't live up there, I've got pals who do, who've not mentioned it). I do know that the LA store isn't doing as well as everyone thinks it is. The rent alone on Sunset and Cauenga has got to me massive. And they've got a huge staff(which is needed to run that big ass store).

That bullshit aside, when one goes to see gigs of artists they are big fans of...the choice is this...spend what's in yer pocket on booze or merch. Don't bitch when the next day you're hungover and don't have that new release. I've put myself in that situation too many times. Its hardly steep considering its NEW SPECTRUM and isn't $80 for ltd ed cdrs. Just sayin'.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Kinda agree with toomilk ,when I ordered the ep and saw the uk conversion rate I thought it was just a tad pricey (had stuff in the past from Mind Expansion and always found them very reasonable,in fact very good value for money) but not so much as to comment but seeing as how we`re talkin` about it ..
I,m happy to support Sonic in his endevours and good shit costs right ? but I don`t see Toomilk askin` for frre music ,although the slighted Radiohead gave me their last album for free.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

johnnyboy wrote:http://www.mindexpansionrecords.com/

In the News section there's an advert for it saying the vinyl will be shipped out on 16th June. You can pre-order it from a link on there. Works out to £10 but maybe more with p&p on top.
Thanks J.

Just ordered my slab of vinyl.

I'll be looking forward to that arriving next month.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

""$10." I nearly crapped myself."

Well, maybe ten bucks is a tad high (but not really), but still, it's not worth almost crapping yourself over.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I just ordered it for $12

..but I´m a bit constipated so guess I can´t really add to the discussion
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

flamingrev wrote:I can't find any info about Amoeba closing. Where did you hear this?
This is a rumor only based on a variety of things I've heard from different employees. They are in trouble for sure, but my point is that all record shops are in trouble.
In the end, toomilk took a loan and bought the disk instead of saying fuck it but by commenting here you may have convinced others not to.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I am constantly buying music. And I work at a record store.

The only reason why the $10 seems high to me was that I am used to paying less for CD EPs or 7" at shows. At shows. There is no need to extrapolate this to predict the downfall of all record stores or Joe Music Fan in general. I admit "crapping myself" was an exaggeration. "Surprised" is a more appropriate term. In the end, the purchase was made and the beloved Sonic got the money.

And I highly doubt anyone posting or reading this thread will let my post persuade them in not buying Spectrum's new EP when they see them live. Highly. "Well, toomilk thought it was expensive..."

PS: For the record, I borrowed $1.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

so, those how have been able to get ahold of it so far....waadayathink?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Anyone in Britain waiting on this should get it in the next day or two as mine arrived today in Ireland. It's a good, solid e.p. but there's nothing on it that really gets me going. Don't get me wrong, i like it but i got more from Indian Giver on first listen than i have this. Mind you it is my first listen so it'll probably grow on me over the coming days. (I like it more than this post would seem to suggest! )

*EDIT: Given it another whirl and its very good. Razzle Dazzle Mind and Over & Over would be welcome additions to the live set, the latter reminds me a bit of LGM era Spiritualized. Walking & Falling has the same kind of feel to it as Let Me Down Gently, which is no bad thing. A definite grower.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

CD arrived today and well worth the money!

An EP that is begging to be played live. Real Suicide and Honey vibe throughout! Perfect drones and 17 minutes of blissed out listening! If this is how the album will sound then i can't wait!

Spent all evening imaging the Legion gig with these songs and how good it could be. Please Sonic another UK tour!

Been some great music this year so far. Loving the Cheval Sombre as well as this. Great new album by Julian Cope, Stylus etc.

If Shonn(?) is still here - how is the new Warlocks album? Surely they are due another great album!

Rob