Dreamweapon

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

ononist
Known user

Dreamweapon

Post by ononist »

Was listening to this classic this morning. Anyone else noticed that 29mins in there is a baby crying? I also like the "Ladies and Gentlemen the cinema is now open...please take your seats for this evenings screening of Wings of Desire" announcement.
sunray
Known user

Re: Dreamweapon

Post by sunray »

Yep, often wondered what mad bastard brought a baby along to that gig. Be great if that kid was now a contributor here. :)
The 10 min segment in and around "...Wings of Desire" is my favourite part of the album, they get a really good groove going there.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

That show was done in the foyer of the Waterman’s Art Centre which has all sorts of events going on at any one time including family events and is also a place where you can just go and have a drink. I don’t imagine this was a conventional paying gig (ie a room set aside with people facing a stage etc) by the sounds of it the Spacemen just pitched up in the foyer and started playing. I would have given anything to have been at this. They played a more conventional gig a year later in one of the theatres which I did go to and had a more typical audience (ie not people with kids in tow or people just dropping in for a gin & tonic)

The description in Erik Morse’s book is hilarious, Brentford Watermans is probably more used to a little light jazz and I can imagine the Spacemen not going over at all well! :lol: (hats off for showing Wings of Desire though).

BTW did anyone on here go to the Hammersmith Riverside gig?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote:BTW did anyone on here go to the Hammersmith Riverside gig?
Me! That was probably the best Spacemen 3 gig I saw - completely incredible. One of the people I was with started giving out free tabs of acid to anyone who wanted it but very few accepted - most regarded him suspiciously.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:
nickh wrote:BTW did anyone on here go to the Hammersmith Riverside gig?
Me! That was probably the best Spacemen 3 gig I saw - completely incredible. One of the people I was with started giving out free tabs of acid to anyone who wanted it but very few accepted - most regarded him suspiciously.
Can’t think why!

I think this was around the time Spacemen 3 started seeping into my conscience, I had seen loads of Spacemen 3 shirts at MBV, Sonic Youth and Loop gigs but not ventured into buying anything.

I think Thee Hypnotics were the support act that night? I vaguely remember seeing pictures of the American flag draped over their amps, I later found out they were from High Wycombe.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

ononist wrote:Was listening to this classic this morning. Anyone else noticed that 29mins in there is a baby crying? I also like the "Ladies and Gentlemen the cinema is now open...please take your seats for this evenings screening of Wings of Desire" announcement.
It's interesting to note that Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are actually in Wings of Desire, twice I believe.

Destiny?
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Dreamweapon:)....

www.mediafire.com/?ojvukmyzint

Enjoy!!! :mrgreen:
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

Is there an unedited recording of this show floating about anywhere?
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

aadamm wrote:Is there an unedited recording of this show floating about anywhere?
Surely Dreamweapon is the full un-edited version?
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

The sleeve in the copy I have says they played for ninety minutes.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

aadamm wrote:The sleeve in the copy I have says they played for ninety minutes.
I think that that was the plan, but they were, shall we say, encouraged to stop at the half-way point.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

It's quite unambiguous in its wording ("Sonic Boom checked his watch 90 minutes in (longer than they ever play with breaks between songs!) and began to wind things down." - that's from memory, mind you). I mean, it could be flat-out wrong, but it's clear that the author is saying, "I was there and they played for 90 solid minutes."
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

aadamm wrote:It's quite unambiguous in its wording ("Sonic Boom checked his watch 90 minutes in (longer than they ever play with breaks between songs!) and began to wind things down." - that's from memory, mind you). I mean, it could be flat-out wrong, but it's clear that the author is saying, "I was there and they played for 90 solid minutes."
You're correct with that quote and i often wondered the same thing myself.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

If they really played for 90 minutes, why is there only an edited version of Dreamweapon, I wonder... Why would they cut out like... 10 minutes?
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

On the Wings of Desire tip I wanted to bring to your attention the fantatsic Birmingham band Einstellung. Wings of Desire is the title of their first LP and they were delighted when i popinted out the WoD reference on this Spacemen recording.

Spacemen 3 fans are highly likley to be interested in Eintellung's appraoch. An instrumental band blending the beats of Neu! with the riffage of Sabbath. The first single was 28 minute long.

I'm new to this forum btw and will post some questions in a minute. In the meantime please check out Einstellung
www.myspace.com/einstellung

The first time i saw Einstellung in Birmingham reminded me a great deal of Reading 89 and the half hour that had such an impact. You know the one i mean!

Rob
Heavy Tourism
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Einstellung's an interesting name for a band. ^^

plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Hello Already There
I'm told that the word Einstellung has many meanings in German. The band like Wim Wnders use of it as meaning a way to capture the world/reality through a lens and on to film.

Accuracy
Heavy Tourism
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well here I was all set to read you the riot act about signing up on the message board to promote a band. I clicked the link and love what I heard from them. i have downloaded Sleep Easy MrParker and ordered the LP.
Glad you posted the other bit about looking for more live Spacemen shows.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Einstellung have Wings of Desire as a back projection when they play. Clips on You Tube, photos on Flickr and on the insert in the LP.
The Spacemen vibe is in this band's music. I'm glad you like them.

Revolution
Heavy Tourism
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

plastic37 wrote:Hello Already There
I'm told that the word Einstellung has many meanings in German. The band like Wim Wnders use of it as meaning a way to capture the world/reality through a lens and on to film.

Accuracy
Ah, ok. Thanks for the information. ^^ That is a pretty precise definition for their band name.

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spzretent wrote:Well here I was all set to read you the riot act about signing up on the message board to promote a band. I clicked the link and love what I heard from them. i have downloaded Sleep Easy MrParker and ordered the LP.
Just clicked that link and loved them too. Thats going on my list of Board recommended albums that I'm taking with me to the record shop today.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This sounds really good - reminds me of ealier Kinski, and that has to be a good thing.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My local independent record store didn't have the Einstellung CD. Any ideas where I can order it from Plastic37 without going via Australia?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I went to Australia - you can get it from Amazon but it's not cheap so I went to the source.
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

So, anyway, I checked with Sonic and he thinks that's the whole show, as does the friend of the person who recorded it.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Cool. Thanks for the information. :)