Spacemen 3 Fire Re Issues

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

sonic124
Known user

Spacemen 3 Fire Re Issues

Post by sonic124 »

Just noticed here http://www.heyday-mo.com/catalog/ that sound of confusion and Performance are getting a digi pack re iss on fire. Was praying that Performance would feature the whole set with no cuts to WWJ and Revolution from the masters but seems like another totally wasted opportunity.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Spacemen 3 Fire Re Issues

Post by runcible »

Someone must have the complete gig that appeared on Performance, even on a bootleg tape or something. I was told that after that lovely wah-wah section Walkin With Jesus fucks up so they faded it.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

That would be nice to hear that recording in its entirety, warts and all. I am not a big fan of live albums but Performance is a great record and maybe high time there was a definitive recording of the Spacemen live.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Never bothered picking up the Taang re-issue of Performance so was wondering does it sound all the same or are the Performance songs and Threebie 3 tunes obviously different soundwise? Always preferred the sound of Threebie 3 myself, it seems clearer.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Did anyone get these reissues - and are they worth getting for the "remastered" quality?

Thanks
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Review of these from Dusted Magazine

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/5118
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Thanks for the link.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

so consummate was the band’s final creation. It’s as if Pierce and Kember’s M.O. was to recreate what their record collections sound like at the apex of their high.
Nice.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

natty wrote:
so consummate was the band’s final creation. It’s as if Pierce and Kember’s M.O. was to recreate what their record collections sound like at the apex of their high.
:D
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

So not remastered then? That's a bummer, TPP in particular is sorely in need of it (hell, even the tracks on Translucent Flashbacks sound better).
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

The Perfect Prescription re-issue has now come out as well. I can't compare it to the original vinyl but it is far superior to the previous Fire re-issue. At least on a par with Forged Prescription. They've also included the two TMTTOS b sides so the cd is just under an hour long, whereas on Sound Of Confusion & Performance only the original tracks from the vinyl are included.

Performance is only 35 minutes long and while the quality is now much better it still doesn't sound as good as Threebie. I don't want to open up another can of worms here, but I've never been convinced they're both taken from the same gig at the Milkweg.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Oooooh, guess I'll be buying that then! :D
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Looks like these will also be released on vinyl too.

http://www.normanrecords.com/records/110597
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

oooooooh....

very tempting....

EDIT: Just looked at a US distributor's site. Release date is set as Nov 17, 2009.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

ABOCA wrote:. They've also included the two TMTTOS b sides so the cd is just under an hour long
the previous fire cd had them as well, so don´t use it as a way of identifying it as the most recent reissue..

this comment leads me to think that you may not be comparing with the last fire version but with an older one?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

scratch wrote:
ABOCA wrote:. They've also included the two TMTTOS b sides so the cd is just under an hour long
the previous fire cd had them as well, so don´t use it as a way of identifying it as the most recent reissue..

this comment leads me to think that you may not be comparing with the last fire version but with an older one?
The new reissues are digipaks so easily identifiable.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Nope. I was definitely comparing it to the previous Fire reissue cd. The point I was hoping to make was that, unlike the Sound Of Confusion digipak and Performence digipak, Perfect Prescription has a couple of extra tracks added, and is not just a facsimile of the original vinyl. I know that the previous Fire reissue also included these, as that's the only copy of this album I had previously. Anyway, I don't know if anyone can back me up on this yet, but the sound on these new digipaks is definitely a major improvement. The things that stood out for me on PP were that the percussion on TMTTOS seems to be a bit higher in the mix, the scratchy guitar intro on Things'll never be the same is more prominent and there is a more noticeable echo on J's vocal during Come Down Easy.

The bottom line is that I now like PP as an overall album more than I ever have before.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Quite tempted by that 180g vinyl.
spacemanT
Known user

Post by spacemanT »

Tempted by the 180g Vinyl....too right, i'd almost eat it :)
SpacemanT
Music - Keep it Future Proof - Keep it Lossless
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

ABOCA wrote:Anyway, I don't know if anyone can back me up on this yet, but the sound on these new digipaks is definitely a major improvement. The things that stood out for me on PP were that the percussion on TMTTOS seems to be a bit higher in the mix, the scratchy guitar intro on Things'll never be the same is more prominent and there is a more noticeable echo on J's vocal during Come Down Easy.
My initial listening indicates that I can't hear a thing different, and that it's the same old poor quality Fire PP as we've always had. The fact that they didn't even bother to update the times on the back cover with their correct values (WWJ still listed as 3:43, TR as 9:03 despite a separate ES at 1:54, etc) is something of a giveaway to me. Nice packaging though, but the sooner Space Age get the rights to this one and do it full justice, the better.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Quite an interesting review of the Perfect Prescription reissue.

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/1484 ... ws/4138344