spacemen are go!

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

sublow
Known user

spacemen are go!

Post by sublow »

Well my fellow spacers...

I got this question about the bomp! compilation of live and rare Spacemen 3 stuff...

Well, as for today i know only about 2 live cds of spacemen 3, not including the bomp compilation...,

Performance and Live at Melkweg in Amsterdamm.

I was wondering if there are any more live recordings, full sets from the bomp compilation, i mean, they had to come from somewhere, someone did record the whole show, no?
So are there more live stuff going around by S3, that havent been published yet? or are they all in such a bad quality that no-one actually wanna publish it?!? :? allthough i think the REVOLUTION song version is one of the best i've heard around, even better than the original, and the quality is really allright...

Thanks,

Sub
Ian

Post by Ian »

Firstly, I think you're a bit confused about the "official" live album. Performance and Live at the Melkweg are one and the same thing. The thing that might be making it unclear is the number of different issues this album has had - it's been released on Glass (vinyl & CD), Genius (CD & possibly cassette, and the cover is a close up of Jason from the Glass issue), Fire (vinyl, CD & cassette, same as the Glass issue) and Taang (vinyl, CD & cassette, different artwork from all previous releases). The Taang version is the entire show - all other versions missed out Revolution, Suicide and Repeater, although they were included on the live 12" that you could send off for with a coupon included in early copies of Playing With Fire. The Taang version re-incorporated these tracks and put everything in the right running order. Although on the downside, the extra tracks sound like they've been taken from a vinyl copy of the free 12", as you can hear the sound changing when they come in. In fairness to Taang, the same problem occurs on the official Space Age reissue of Threebie 3 as well.

Oh, and out of interest, the versions of O.D. Catastrophe and Feel So Good on the Genius CD are not alternate versions as is sometimes reported – the former is straight off of Sound Of Confusion, and the latter is from the b-side of the Walkin’ With Jesus 12”.

Spacemen Are Go is a pretty good compilation of live stuff from 1989 - I love that version of Take Me To The Other Side, it's positively joyous - and of course, there are many other takes of the tracks on there floating around. But you have to bear in mind that, if I understand this correctly, they are all taken from bootleg cassettes. Some of them are very clear, but they are not proper multi-track recordings. There are quite a few fans who have good collections of live Spacemen recordings, and they may well be up for doing some copies for you. Although by 1989, the setlists were pretty samey - I'd go for some earlier stuff if you can.

In terms of CDs, there's a bootleg on the Fierce label called Revolution Or Heroin, which I suspect is from 1987 (some people say 1986, but I think that is too early for the tracklist). The quality is OK but not great, and it is interspersed with revolutionary speeches that many people find annoying (but which I rather like!). There's another bootleg called All Fucked Up which is a superb gig from the Rose Club from early 1988, but there are better recordings of that gig floating around in the trading community.

And of course, Spacemen Are Go was reissued on Space Age as Live In Europe 1989, with an extra version of Suicide. And that extra version is much longer on the vinyl than the CD, although they didn't advertise that at the time.

I would just like to point out to any generous souls with live collections that there is no such thing as a Spacemen 3 live recording where the quality is so bad that I would not be interested in it!

Love,

Ian
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Also check out Drug Music at http://members.aol.com/losafa/ as, in addition to some great webcasts, it has a video of the Spacemen live in Germany
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

ian,

http://tinyurl.com/67zhk

i have a few S3 shows on my lossless list.
a few more on cassette that are not yet cataloged properly.

dk
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

Well, my dear friend Ian..., thank you for replying to my question, you spilled much information than i could ever imagined, allthough i presumed that this is a situation of boolegs and b-sides... .

I allso think the Revolution song speeches are fantastic, and the version on the bomp! compilation is brilliant, and i wish i knew where does it come from, as in Three by three, or Revolution or Heroine, or maybe other live bootleg stuff i will never get to hear...
And allthough i ran across both 3by3 and ROH in the slsk program, it never accured to me that they might be a live performance stuff... . i allways assumed that they're some kind weird compilation with diffrent version of familiar songs, which became a common thing to Spacemen 3's re-issue stuff... , I will check it again...

My hope is that some day they will publish a good quality live performance cd, with FULL set of the show.

You were correct about the Performance album and the Melkwek album, yes, they're both the same show, though the Melkweg is lack of few songs including a fading in "walking with jesus" :evil: , i just dont get the reason for doing it, is it all for money? for me to buy the same album, from the same concert, only diffrent title and the extra songs??!
why??

Anyway..., thanks again...

Sub
vigil
Known user

well well well...

Post by vigil »

thanks for the link starfish...that's dope as fuck. :)

paz.
still falling