Sonic Produces the new MGMT album

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

andyblacktoo
Known user

Sonic Produces the new MGMT album

Post by andyblacktoo »

For those of you wondering what Sonic's been up to......

he's producing Congratualtions, MGMT's proposed follow up album to their smash hit debut Oracular Spectacular.

and oddly, the NME have decided he's one of the cutting edge producers for the next 12 months :

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php%3Fblo ... 1%26pb%3D1

slowly, the kember renaissance continuers to gather pace............
evan:)
Known user

Re: Sonic Produces the new MGMT album

Post by evan:) »

Looking forward - sonic - as always

http://www.nme.com/photos/the-future-50 ... 47567/22/1

even better a new one

Congratulations (new song) - MGMT Live at Prospect Park (Brooklyn)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYI1x-G ... 16&index=1
Last edited by evan:) on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Certainly can't hurt. The production on the last MGMT album killed it for me.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

He's co-producing it I think and Dave Friddman is inevitably involved too. I had a message from him recently saying what brilliant people MGMT are and that he's having lots of fun and really enjoying himself hanging out. He's also really pleased with the music so I'm rather looking forward to hearing the results.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runcible wrote:He's co-producing it I think and Dave Friddman is inevitably involved too. I had a message from him recently saying what brilliant people MGMT are and that he's having lots of fun and really enjoying himself hanging out. He's also really pleased with the music so I'm rather looking forward to hearing the results.
wow, a mercury rev, spacemen 3 crossover (however tenuous)
so it's gonna sound like big city meets chasing a bee, maybe?
could be interesting.... :shock:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Don't forget the Flaming Lips as Dave Fridmann (I spelled that wrong I just noticed) has produced pretty much everything they've done since 1990. He's also worked with Low and Mogwai (among many others).
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runcible wrote:Don't forget the Flaming Lips as Dave Fridmann (I spelled that wrong I just noticed) has produced pretty much everything they've done since 1990. He's also worked with Low and Mogwai (among many others).
yep, i purposely avoided that area actually, since i feel strongly ambivalent toward many Fridman-produced albums/bands, and i'm betting others on here feel the same.

It's obvious the guy is an incredibly talented producer, but i get the feeling that now he knows exactly how to get a specific sound out of a band, the results often end up sounding overproduced. I never worked out if it was what he brought to the table, or how the bands were wanting to sound, but it made me sad how the rev/flips (and yes, mogwai, low, sparklehorse, delgados etc) ended up sounding increasingly safe, clean and gimmicky. I kinda felt the same thing with stuff produced by Nigel Godrich... i dunno...

Having said that, i guess this is the natural progression for many bands anyway; higher production values, lower originality, and in some cases an increasing reliance upon/use of studio trickery(?) Maybe it's more a question of what's considered commercially viable these days. And also I have to say, sometimes the big overproduced thing really works; for me, i really like low's 'the great destroyer' (though many hated it!) and sleater kinney's 'the woods' for the way he captured the big distorted sound, and while i'd all but given up on mercury rev, the production really fits their new 'snowflake midnight'...

So yeah, VERY ambivalent... i guess what it boils down to is (as usual) personal preference. and in my book 'clouds taste metallic' beats the crap out of 'at war with the mystics' every time. :)

But I do find the idea of him working alongside Sonic to be particularly encouraging, or more specifically the idea that the band want them both involved. Doesnt that indicate that the new album might well be a lot less commercial? I reckon, given that they're HUGE already, and more wierd/out there stuff like deerhunter is so big at the moment, they could get away with doing something totally tangential / trippy. And after all, didnt they cite pure phase as a major influence? It'd be nice to hear something new even approaching those dizzy heights!

uhhhhhh........sorry, end of rant! :mrgreen:
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Fridmann produced the new Black Moth Super Rainbow album and I think that pairing worked really well. I have been enjoying it all summer long.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

moop wrote: in my book 'clouds taste metallic' beats the crap out of 'at war with the mystics' every time. :)
I'd say that for different reasons - that whole 1990-96 era was magical for many of us. Curiously Fridmann didn't produce 'Transmissions From The Satellite Heart' which is one of the great Lips albums. He was able to get that incredible drum sound for firstly Nathan Roberts and then Steven Drozd as well as that totally incredible shredded guitar sound for Jonathan Donahue and Ronald Jones. Interestingly it shows Ronald's immense talent that Transmissions was self-produced yet he was able to run amok all over it with his box of magic effects (boy do we miss him!).

I'm only really familiar with Fridmann's Lips and Rev work but I found your 'rant' very interesting actually and may take a listen to some of his other productions. He also did some Sparklehorse - was he responsible for the Hammering The Cramps era? If so that fits in well with the intense distorted sound the Lips and Rev used to make and which I miss so much!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

runcible wrote:
moop wrote: in my book 'clouds taste metallic' beats the crap out of 'at war with the mystics' every time. :)
I'd say that for different reasons - that whole 1990-96 era was magical for many of us. Curiously Fridmann didn't produce 'Transmissions From The Satellite Heart' which is one of the great Lips albums. He was able to get that incredible drum sound for firstly Nathan Roberts and then Steven Drozd as well as that totally incredible shredded guitar sound for Jonathan Donahue and Ronald Jones. Interestingly it shows Ronald's immense talent that Transmissions was self-produced yet he was able to run amok all over it with his box of magic effects (boy do we miss him!).

I'm only really familiar with Fridmann's Lips and Rev work but I found your 'rant' very interesting actually and may take a listen to some of his other productions. He also did some Sparklehorse - was he responsible for the Hammering The Cramps era? If so that fits in well with the intense distorted sound the Lips and Rev used to make and which I miss so much!
i think we're definitely on the same page here, i'm just not very good at expressing myself on message boards. :roll:

i just found this discography, which seems pretty complete, and kinda confirms what i was thinking in some cases: http://www.breathingprotection.com/dave ... _discs.htm

the sparklehorse ones he did appear to just be the more recent ones, 'its a wonderful life', 'dreamt for light years..' which are far from bad records, but as you say, pretty far away from 'hammering the cramps' and the other 'vivadixies..' stuff. That's not really fair though, since with Sparklehorse it's definitely a combination of production changes and Mark Linkous' personal/stylistic changes (not writing about his near death experience, not writing/recording whilst permafried, deciding to collaborate with other people etc)

maybe it's more of a question of the early-mid 90s scene than anything else. Albums like 'boces'/'giant steps'/'hit to death...'etc just had such an incredible impact on me, and most new music doesnt seem to come close. Hard to explain, but those records just feel so intensely psychedelic, and honest. It's partly an attitude/zeitgeist type thing, but I feel like the modern need for high production values often just limits the impact music has.

And of course i agree with you on the Flaming Lips 90-96.. amazing stuff! I never knew that about transmissions too - always assumed it was Fridmann on the controls. But yeah, i miss those guitar sounds too! Ronald Jones...wow. His guitar would just fly off into orbit (as you say, definitely helped by those distorted drums)

He's right up at the top of my 'whatever happened to... ' list, along with david baker and comet. guess that shows where my interests lie :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

moop wrote: maybe it's more of a question of the early-mid 90s scene than anything else. Albums like 'boces'/'giant steps'/'hit to death...'etc just had such an incredible impact on me, and most new music doesnt seem to come close.
I'd agree with that to some extent. I bought Yerself Is Steam without having heard a note or even having heard of the band and it blew my head off. Then I saw the Lips after Hit To Death came out and it was the loudest thing I'd ever witnessed. Until I saw the 1st ever Mercury Rev UK show which was even louder. Giant Steps never quite revealed its magic apart from Barney and Me which is glorious.
moop wrote: And of course i agree with you on the Flaming Lips 90-96.. amazing stuff! I never knew that about transmissions too - always assumed it was Fridmann on the controls. But yeah, i miss those guitar sounds too! Ronald Jones...wow. His guitar would just fly off into orbit (as you say, definitely helped by those distorted drums)

He's right up at the top of my 'whatever happened to... ' list, along with david baker and comet. guess that shows where my interests lie :)
I saw one Lips show where I stood towards the front and watched him stamp hell out of his pedal rack which was immense. The noises he was making were genuinely unique. Really sad he freaked out but Messrs Coyne and Ivans obviously saw way more mileage in Steven than Ronald. Steven remains the greatest drummer I've ever seen which is another reason I can't cope with what the Lips do now.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

you dont like watching the drummer on screen while he plays keyboards live? Not to mention he IS the reason there is no Ronald Jones anymore.
They are useless now imho. Dont own anything past Clouds.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

spzretent wrote:you dont like watching the drummer on screen while he plays keyboards live? Not to mention he IS the reason there is no Ronald Jones anymore.
They are useless now imho. Dont own anything past Clouds.
:(
i found this interview kind of interesting...
at least he gives the guy credit
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervie ... album.html

i found the part about Jones rejigging/making his own pedals fascinating...also the fact that Drozd is now searching for vintage 92/93 effects pedals amused me. i've been wondering exactly what pedals those bands (specifically grasshopper 91-93, and ronald jones for transmissions/clouds) were using for a long time. maybe someone on this board could enlighten me :?: :wink:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

moop wrote:[
i found this interview kind of interesting...
at least he gives the guy credit
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervie ... album.html
It was nice. I know this was a technical guitar interview and all. It doesn't make me less bitter about RJ's exit and Steven being the reason. I used to LOVE the Lips. Soft Bulletin confounded the hell out of me until I realized they had to reinvent themselves w/little or no guitar. As evidenced by subsequent releases.
Exit stage left(for me anyway).
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

spzretent wrote:It doesn't make me less bitter about RJ's exit and Steven being the reason. I used to LOVE the Lips. Soft Bulletin confounded the hell out of me until I realized they had to reinvent themselves w/little or no guitar. As evidenced by subsequent releases.
in a nod to ronald jones and golden-era lips i listened to transmissions/clouds back to back last night (at maximum volume :D )
both more than stand up to the test of time.

and also i found some youtube clips which really just speak for themselves

turn it on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7lEAShGjM

abandoned hospital ship..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SZxibmeGmo

psychiatric explorations of the fetus with needles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AayMUuQH07I

making of clouds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNVfzso9ifY

when you smile - 09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8SdennsCyg
(yuck!)
Known user

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

"shoegaze act Spacemen 3"...jeezuz wept,who writes this shite? thats a pretty massive stretch of the imagination is it not?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hilarious! I love that sort of utterly uninformed journalism. It makes me realise like I actually know something about music.
Known user

and thats from rolling stone magazine ???
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Dave Fridmann is not my favourite man since Low's last album. Pffffffffffffff.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

niamhm wrote:"shoegaze act Spacemen 3"...jeezuz wept,who writes this shite? thats a pretty massive stretch of the imagination is it not?
:lol:

Actually, they should have called them progressive. ^^ That'd be even funnier.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
vejtables
Known user

Post by vejtables »

or maybe "bluegaze" would be more apt..
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

vejtables wrote:or maybe "bluegaze" would be more apt..
Haha, not bad. I like that.

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Release date is April 13.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Hahaha, yeah. Thanks for the link. :lol:

But, erm... http://throughever.blogspot.com/2009/02 ... olles.html

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I was thinking the same exact thing...
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Phenomena 256 and the 8" that played through all channels were also Ausgang covers for E.A.R.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Not very surprising. Pete has Ausgang artwork all over his house - all original paintings.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

one time i wrote to Anthony Ausgang asking for his business card ( i really don't know why but ever since i was a kid i have been fascinated by business cards. i used to take entire stacks of them when i was little. i'm sure those people were happy about that...) and he sent me one and he drew all over the envelope. its pretty awesome, it has one of those cats he paints, riding in a hot rod and weird shit all over it. he's a pretty cool guy, i wanna buy a copy of his book, but i keep forgetting until i have already spent my paycheck on other stuff.

i'd say my favorite business card is one of Greg Shaw's from Bomp Records. i was reading the Bomp book and there is a little piece about how he got business cards made up to look professional, and there is a pic of one in the book. so i emailed Suzy @ Bomp and she sent me one of them. She's also a pretty awesome lady, and that book is killer if your'e into Bomp stuff.
---Also, she has some of those Spacemen 3 posters from the tour that never was. But she kinda wants a lot for them. i got mine cheaper on eBay.

im a geek. i know this.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

Are there any previews of this album anywhere to have a listen to?
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

PapaLazarou
Known user

Post by PapaLazarou »

well I hope it's better than the previous one; I didn't like that at all ...
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

Me neither, especially those few that got played everywhere I went, all the time. Just seemed to appeal to the Skins crowd. But with Sonic's input and that cover, this one looks like it could be alright.
Echo Warrior
New user

Post by Echo Warrior »

I loved their first album, and boy was I ready to hate it....
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

http://pitchfork.com/news/38186-watch-m ... ongs-live/

see MGMt play a bunch of new songs live from a secret show in NYC
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

hear the whole album right now.......

http://pitchfork.com/news/38235-hear-mg ... right-now/
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Don't know why, but their seems to be a big push for the upcoming MGMT album, 'congratulations' ? I see large adverts in the local newspaper(s) about it for several weeks now. Their will be a listening party on April 2 with free giveaways of the new album and for the first 50 people a 7'' vinyl. Probably will go and see what all the ' hype ' is about.
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

I listened to it. I didn't like their old stuff, but this album's good. Quite psychedelic, chilled out and melodic. Some very '60s moments on it. I really like it.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Listened to 3or 4 tracks on their myspace and it sounded okay ,nothing stunning,but it was only one listen ,but read the review on The Quietus ,which seemed quiet keen to give it a good old fashioned slaughtering,2nd article in that vein by The Quietus in 2 days ,not much mention of Sonic`s production activeties though,

http://thequietus.com/articles/03977-mg ... bum-review
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

That review is bollocks. I'm hardly MGMT's biggest fan, so I'm not one to defend them normally but the Quietus are largely reviewing it for what it isn't, rather than what it is.

Plus, they picked on my favourite! 8)
Echo Warrior
New user

Post by Echo Warrior »

2 page rview of the album in the Sun (!) yesterday. Largely positive and quite interesting, at least a couple of para's about Sonic who, and this must be a Sun exclusive, would apparently jump at the chance of working with Jason again.

Never thought I would see Sonic mentioned in the Sun, man he's getting a LOT of publicity from this mgmt work. here's hoping he keeps up the momentum....his star is on the rise
Junkrabbit
Known user

Post by Junkrabbit »

Let's hope his production royalities enable him to finally complete the upcoming Spectrum album.

Somehow I doubt the guy who wrote that review in the Quietus listened to the album more than once.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

tried it... so forgettable, so average.

production sounds good, though.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I'm liking it a lot especially 'Brian Eno' & Flash Delirium. I opted fot the 'limited' edition which has a nice 32 pae booklet and a free coin :!: Also says it has a 'Scratch Off cover' but not quite sure what that's about anybody shed any light :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

davedecay wrote:tried it... so forgettable, so average.

production sounds good, though.
:lol:

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Album made the uk top 10 which surprised me considering some of the reviews I read ,must be some kinda career high for a record Sonic`s been involved with .
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7791-mgmt/

Interview with MGMT gives details on their relationship with Sonic:

"We rented a house in Malibu, brought a bunch of equipment into the living room, and had this really relaxed recording environment. Pete would DJ our dinners and play early Van Morrison, Joe Meek, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Specials, Lee Hazlewood-- just a ton of amazing music that was up our alley. We did a lot of jamming with Pete, playing Spacemen 3 and Spectrum songs. Sometimes Ben and I would just look at each other like, "Is this really happening?" "
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

This merging of collaborations really perplexed me at first, and I hadn't even heard that much of MGMT, rather just that they were a bit of a newer indie hipster type of band. That being said, what i've heard of the new one is really good. I wonder if they were fans of Sonic, or whether he was recommended to them to get that sort of sound.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

alan_cohaul wrote:This merging of collaborations really perplexed me at first, and I hadn't even heard that much of MGMT, rather just that they were a bit of a newer indie hipster type of band. That being said, what i've heard of the new one is really good. I wonder if they were fans of Sonic, or whether he was recommended to them to get that sort of sound.
They met Pete at a Spectrum show in London and asked him, so I guess that means they are fans of his. MGMT have never really crossed my way either. But what I've read sounds interesing. And I really like the silly comments on the back of the record.

jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

toomilk wrote:http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7791-mgmt/

"We rented a house in Malibu, brought a bunch of equipment into the living room, and had this really relaxed recording environment. Pete would DJ our dinners and play early Van Morrison, Joe Meek, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Specials, Lee Hazlewood-- just a ton of amazing music that was up our alley. We did a lot of jamming with Pete, playing Spacemen 3 and Spectrum songs. Sometimes Ben and I would just look at each other like, "Is this really happening?" "
I've known a few people who've liked Spiritualized, but other than people I personally introduced to Spacemen 3 and Spectrum I've never known anyone to be a fan and only a handful who had even heard of them. So the idea of a couple of scenesters being familar with Pete and into his work is hard for me to imagine.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

jadams501 wrote:

I've known a few people who've liked Spiritualized, but other than people I personally introduced to Spacemen 3 and Spectrum I've never known anyone to be a fan and only a handful who had even heard of them. So the idea of a couple of scenesters being familar with Pete and into his work is hard for me to imagine.
Loads of people i know love Spacemen 3 and have been into them for a long time. Lots of people i know involved in music also hold Spacemen 3 as one of their inspirations, sonically. Me and the wife even had Spacemen 3 playing while our daughter was born.

I think you might be hanging out with the wrong sorts :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

davew wrote: Loads of people i know love Spacemen 3 and have been into them for a long time. Lots of people i know involved in music also hold Spacemen 3 as one of their inspirations, sonically. Me and the wife even had Spacemen 3 playing while our daughter was born.

I completely agree. I see Spacemen 3 referred to in interviews by such unlikely people as Coldplay. Spacemen 3 have many fans in bands today and their name pops up regularly in mags like Mojo, Uncut - even the NME mention them a little. Have a listen to REM's monster album and hear the Spacemen influence creep in here and there. The first time I heard anything from that album was when a track from it was on Top Of The Pops and I was with Pete Kember. He burst out laughing at the Spacemen hints on show. I started a new job recently and one of the managers I'm working with - he must be about 30 - is into a lot of music and told me he had Sound of Confusion and loved it.

I think you've underestimated their impact Mr. Adams. Have a look at how much Spacemen 3 stuff is on Ebay right now and see what people will pay for rare things. I've sold Spacemen stuff on there to people who have no connection to this message board but are huge fans.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

Just last week, also, i was at the doctors and i was wearing my Spacemen 3 t-shirt. The doctor said 'haven't seen a Spacemen 3 t-shirt in a while'......!
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

davew wrote:
jadams501 wrote:

Loads of people i know love Spacemen 3 and have been into them for a long time. Lots of people i know involved in music also hold Spacemen 3 as one of their inspirations, sonically. Me and the wife even had Spacemen 3 playing while our daughter was born.

Yeah--though it seems like MGMT might have got Pete on the record for some sort of indie credibility (what I think you're inferring?), the fact remains that neither Pete or Spectrum or Spacemen 3 really holds tons of current indie clout.....so I think that MGMT genuinely were fans beforehand. Dave Fridmann produced the last MGMT album....that I can see as an attempt to hire the cool indie producer of the day (though Dave has been doing this for a long time and is great), but Dave has worked on more high profile indie rock type albums.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I was told that MGMT specifically asked their label for Pete as a co-producer and he said that he couldn't believe the label had agreed. I also heard that they had an absolute blast making that album. It's worth noting that Pete knows his way around a studio and electronic equipment better than a lot of people.

On the Spacemen 3 front I was at an amazing Warlocks show in York and I was wearing a Sp3 shirt. At the end as the lights came on a bloke came up to me with a huge grin, pointed at my shirt and said 'and THAT just about fucking sums it up'.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I'm not underestimating their impact or saying anything bad about MGMT... all I'm saying is that I personally have met just one person who's been aware of more than just their name -- and he looked like he had an acid flashback when he saw the Playing With Fire poster in my cubicle.

Clearly I think highly of Spacemen 3 and Sonic. I just find it strange (and gratifying) to see them get some mention off of this board and a few indie music sites.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

he looked like he had an acid flashback when he saw the Playing With Fire poster in my cubicle.
It would be fun to see this quote used as the caption for the Spacemen 3 forum, for me at least.
willonz
New user

Post by willonz »

jadams501 wrote:he looked like he had an acid flashback when he saw the Playing With Fire poster in my cubicle.
I'm willing to bet almost everyone on this board has had one of those moments :D
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

I'm really enjoying this album - perhaps a bit lightweight and twee for some, but some cracking moments. 8/10.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

saw a re-run of Saturday Night Live, MGMT played - god DAMN they are annoying hipster gits!!