Ltd Wooden Shjips Sp3 cover 7" in the pipeline!

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Ltd Wooden Shjips Sp3 cover 7" in the pipeline!

Post by runcible »

Dominic from the Great Pop Supplement sent out the following exciting news. Wooden Shjips play Spacemen 3? Now THAT sounds interesting! I'll report more when I hear it.
news on what should be a stormer. following the recent sold out spacemen 3 LP of demos ("DJ Tones"), we have a split 45:- one side an unreleased spacemen demo, backed up with a mighty cover of the spacemen classic "i believe it" by wooden shjips. it's coming together gradually on this one- but please, no orders on this just yet as it just ain't ready ok!?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: Ltd Wooden Shjips Sp3 cover 7" in the pipeline!

Post by MODLAB »

great news. looking forward to hearing this.

M
Design.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

fantastic :!: looking forward to this, thanks for the heads up Runci :D
I think I feel it coming on
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

PHWOAR!!!! I'm loving the sound of this news.

Anyone going to see the Shjips at Londons Borderline next Wed? I've got a spare ticket which I'll be hawking outside. Should be a great gig.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Available for pre-order now at Cargo: http://www.cargorecords.co.uk/release/9538 Due for release November 9th.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I've heard the Shjips track. It is ACE! Seriously - a lovely take on I Believe It and with a different approach.

Just buy the damn thing and then Dom can furnish us all with more great releases like this.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

pre-order accomplished :!:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Cheers for that info, I've now just ordered one for my goodself.

Looks like it's super limited as Norman Records are selling it as well but only one copy per order.

Bit more info for those who don't click on the linkage......

For it's 50th release the great pop supplement offers up this incredible pairing of like minded spirits, for a total one off split 45. 2 unreleased nuggets from legendary psych rockers from both sides of the pond. The Spacemen tune is a beautiful demo to their last ever single, the mighty "big city". stripped of it's lyrical nod to the electric prunes, but still very much displaying the kraftwerk influence of the original, the softer spoken lyrical passages offer up an almost confessional electro blues variant, unique to this early take.

After 2 studio LPs, Wooden Shjips are often bracketed with the Spacemen, with their blissed out Velvets / Doors / Kraut sound- so it's perhaps of no surprise that they should take on a Spacemen gem for their own reworking. "I Believe It" from the classic "Playing with Fire" album gets the nod for a radical overhaul- where the original's predominantly keyboard lead is given the Shjips' guitar fuzz and 2 note organ treatment. a killer take on an old favourite, debuted recently on the road and offered up here as their first outright UK release. Packaging as ever with the GPS is of paramount importance, cover art is provided by natty brooker (the original spacemen percussionist) and is from original work put together during his time within the band's first line-up. A pretty much essential and incredible 45, destined not to hang around long....
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

thanks for the link sunray. much appreciated
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

gawd my credit card is lit up like a neon light :oops: :twisted:
domearworm
Known user

Post by domearworm »

hi, thanks as ever to mark and the chaps here for a) letting me mention this one and b) for giving the single the thumbs up!

cargo got the singles in on friday, so you'll start seeing them in uk stores and stuff throughout this coming week i guess. i know that steve at adasam also has a big stash which are available via affordable buy it nows on ebay. pete will have some at shows soon also. sadly i'm out of my supplies (gone to my own gps diehards), but you really shouldn't struggle too hard to get a copy but be quick! strictly limited to 1000 and none of that cd nonsense- good old fashioned wax only with cool natty brooker (mr.ugly) art- 2 of the 3 pieces of which were from his time with the spacemen.

cheers, dom / GPS
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A pleasure. If you keep releasing stuff like this Dom your presence is always welcome. Your history of getting interesting music out there, Spacemen 3 related and other, is well documented.

Keep 'em coming...
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

wow! mine arrived this morning, beautifully put together, absolutely stunning - worth every penny

if you want to play it you'll need a middle insert thingy
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

jesus son wrote:wow! mine arrived this morning, beautifully put together, absolutely stunning - worth every penny

I saw some, and heard it, in Rough Trade this lunchtime. Big City sounds beautiful.

Is yours red vinyl? The ones they had in the shop were. I want mine to be or else I'm getting another one.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

johnnyboy wrote:
jesus son wrote:wow! mine arrived this morning, beautifully put together, absolutely stunning - worth every penny

I saw some, and heard it, in Rough Trade this lunchtime. Big City sounds beautiful.

Is yours red vinyl? The ones they had in the shop were. I want mine to be or else I'm getting another one.
It does sound wonderful and a lot different to the lp/single version, the vinyl I have is a scarlet red with a lovely psychedelic wave of orange/red. An absolutely essential purchase.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

jesus son wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:

It does sound wonderful and a lot different to the lp/single version, the vinyl I have is a scarlet red with a lovely psychedelic wave of orange/red. An absolutely essential purchase.
Sounds good enough to eat.

I hope mine is waiting for me when I get home.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mine arrived today! Lovely package and great Shjips cover, one minor quibble though: Given that Big City has been taken from "How The Blues Should've Turned Out" couldn't they have used another song from that set? Certainly didn't need another version of Big City.

Just a thought, but could the Great Pop Supplement be slowly working their way through the full How The Blues.. discs.? First DJ Tones and now Big City.... I'd like to see Rollercoaster and No.5 as the next release. 8)
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

Hi all

Awaiting my copy but can I take it from the above comment that "Big City" is actually "Hypnobeat" (aka What I Needed You to Be) from How The Blues.....?

I suspected it might be, but was hoping it was a different take of Big City.

Would still buy the 7" for Wooden Schips, but it is a bit frustrating when it is being packaged as "unreleased" when many hardcore fans have already been happily listening to what is admittedly a cracking song (and in my view, in light of the different lyrics and structure, a different song) for a couple of years. I appreciate HWB... was not commercially released but I suspect there is a good proportion of us that already have it. At least on this release it should have been called the same title as what Sonic himself called it (!) so it was clear that this is the same track?

Anyway rant over. Still looking forward to receiving the vinyl.

mat
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I've never heard of that "How The Blues......" album. Should I be ashamed? I'll get googling.........

EDIT - and I now know about it from a prev thread on here sometime back. Sounds interesting.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mat1922 wrote:Hi all

Awaiting my copy but can I take it from the above comment that "Big City" is actually "Hypnobeat" (aka What I Needed You to Be) from How The Blues.....?

I suspected it might be, but was hoping it was a different take of Big City.

Would still buy the 7" for Wooden Schips, but it is a bit frustrating when it is being packaged as "unreleased" when many hardcore fans have already been happily listening to what is admittedly a cracking song (and in my view, in light of the different lyrics and structure, a different song) for a couple of years. I appreciate HWB... was not commercially released but I suspect there is a good proportion of us that already have it. At least on this release it should have been called the same title as what Sonic himself called it (!) so it was clear that this is the same track?

Anyway rant over. Still looking forward to receiving the vinyl.

mat
Yep, it is Hypnobeat. Like you i assumed it would be but had hoped it was going to be a totally new version. Still well worth picking up though.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Well gotta say i was hoping it would be the version for how the blues... this is by my fave version of this tune kinda reminds me of Notorious byrd brothers. Fantastic packaging from the GPS and Dom as always Thank you
domearworm
Known user

Post by domearworm »

hi chaps, just to say thanks for the thumbs up on the single- it came and went in an afternoon literally!

just wanted to say that, forgetting the label for a sec, i do this (especially the spacemen stuff) as a huge fan so i was kind of disappointed that i'd led a couple of you into thinking it was this ultra rare freshly discovered version of "big city"! ....to be honest, i wasn't quick enough outta' the blocks with pete to get an original (i assume?) sleeved version of the "how the blues..." set. mark was kind enough to burn me it, so to hear of this early demo of "big city" called "hypnobeat" comes as total news to me, i was just hearing it as some early demo with no titles in front of me. -especially ironic as i've just even released the thing!? makes me wonder what other working titles some old favourites had...!?

just to apologize if i led anyone down the path a wee bit....
dom
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just like to say Dom that i didn't feel led down any path whatsoever, it was the version i expected to hear after all. :) I think it's a great single musically and visually and i look forward to many more.
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

domearworm wrote:hi chaps, just to say thanks for the thumbs up on the single- it came and went in an afternoon literally!

just wanted to say that, forgetting the label for a sec, i do this (especially the spacemen stuff) as a huge fan so i was kind of disappointed that i'd led a couple of you into thinking it was this ultra rare freshly discovered version of "big city"! ....to be honest, i wasn't quick enough outta' the blocks with pete to get an original (i assume?) sleeved version of the "how the blues..." set. mark was kind enough to burn me it, so to hear of this early demo of "big city" called "hypnobeat" comes as total news to me, i was just hearing it as some early demo with no titles in front of me. -especially ironic as i've just even released the thing!? makes me wonder what other working titles some old favourites had...!?

just to apologize if i led anyone down the path a wee bit....
dom
Hi Dom

Thanks for clarifying; tis appreciated. Like Sunray says, it wasn't really much of a surprise- particular when a demo version of Big City has already been released as the bside to the original single!! I was just confused (and probably overly grumpy in a sad anorak fashion, so sorry about that) as to why differing names were used on the different releases but you have answered my question and that is fair enough.

As I say it would have still bought in any event, and the track deserves to be out in as wide a circulation as possible. It (with These Blues) was the highlight of "How The Blues Should've Turned Out..." for me.

Keep up the good work- using Natty artwork is a great touch.

Mat
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mat1922 wrote: It (with These Blues) was the highlight of "How The Blues Should've Turned Out..." for me.
:D
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

got that now in my pipe also.

wooden cover is really new approch. unexpected u-turn. with a wonderful sauce. new tastes with a full band getting touched by fuzzes and other personalities doing the same song. this is the plugged in version, that does the spacy quality take with the brick wall trembling in your slowest dream of the taking the fast ride over the desert of san marino. thats null. do the floating in yourself then.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Slightly off topic, but still relating to The Wooden Shjips, i came across a track online which was labelled "Wooden Shjips - Auld Lang Syne"... some inclusion on a compilation

still trying to decide whether its a work of genius or insanity... :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote:Slightly off topic, but still relating to The Wooden Shjips, i came across a track online which was labelled "Wooden Shjips - Auld Lang Syne"... some inclusion on a compilation

That was available as a free download, along with O Tannenbaum, on their website after previously been released as a benefit single around xmas time last year.
Martin-C
New user

Post by Martin-C »

veiko wrote:got that now in my pipe also.

wooden cover is really new approch. unexpected u-turn. with a wonderful sauce. new tastes with a full band getting touched by fuzzes and other personalities doing the same song. this is the plugged in version, that does the spacy quality take with the brick wall trembling in your slowest dream of the taking the fast ride over the desert of san marino. thats null. do the floating in yourself then.
wow, what a crazy-ass review that is! don't know whether it's complete gibberish or absolute genius!! :shock:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Slightly off topic, but still relating to The Wooden Shjips, i came across a track online which was labelled "Wooden Shjips - Auld Lang Syne"... some inclusion on a compilation

That was available as a free download, along with O Tannenbaum, on their website after previously been released as a benefit single around xmas time last year.

Muchos gracias Sunray...now i know!
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Speaking of Wooden Shjips, their cover of Gainsbourg/Bardot's "Contact" is tremendously great - stretching it out to a Can-like 8 minute motorik. Well worth tracking down.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I couldn't agree more. That's one of my favourite Shjips bits. I'm assuming it's only on that rare 12" that was around recently? Cost me a packet but it was worth it.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Yep, that's a wonderful 12" and very limited. The B-side is just as good. I picked mine up at one of their gigs for a whopping £15 or something. Love the 'Disco Frisco' cover design. I did actually load up an mp3 of it over on the Primal Scream forum a while back if anyone wants to track it down. It got a re-release on white vinyl a little while ago through Mexican Summer but that's probably long gone too. They're good at putting at rarities like this but hopefully they'll end up on a Vol 2 compilation someday soon.