spacemen 3 playing coachella rumour?

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

laid back in the sun
Known user

spacemen 3 playing coachella rumour?

Post by laid back in the sun »

has anyone heard anything about this? :shock:
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
norrin radd
Known user

Re: spacemen 3 playing coachella rumour?

Post by norrin radd »

ill believe it when i see it :lol:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

this has to be just a rumor.

That is, unless the LAGWAFIS shows caused J to completely reverse his thoughts on "treading water."
candidate
New user

Post by candidate »

quite simply, this will never, ever happen.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

candidate wrote:quite simply, this will never, ever happen.
Hopefully it won't. I think I'd lose all faith in everyone involved if it did.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mkb wrote:
Amen to that.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
laid back in the sun
Known user

well i have to agree that its pretty unlikely to happen and im not sure if i'd even want it to happen but it seems very strange that a rumour like that should start in the first place and i cant help wondering have coachella approached jason and sonic about this? and just how much cash would they have to throw at them to make them put their differences aside and get on stage together again? :?
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Highly highly doubtful. Jason's position has always been that he doesn't like recycling the past, and he's even said as much again in a recent interview. I'm sure Pete would be up for it but I just couldn't imagine Jason going on stage and playing Rollercoaster, Starship and Revolution again.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

laid back in the sun
Known user

mh wrote:Highly highly doubtful. Jason's position has always been that he doesn't like recycling the past, and he's even said as much again in a recent interview. I'm sure Pete would be up for it but I just couldn't imagine Jason going on stage and playing Rollercoaster, Starship and Revolution again.
well jason cant be completely dead set against recycling the past or the lagwafis reissue and shows would never have happened
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

laid back in the sun wrote:
mh wrote:Highly highly doubtful. Jason's position has always been that he doesn't like recycling the past, and he's even said as much again in a recent interview. I'm sure Pete would be up for it but I just couldn't imagine Jason going on stage and playing Rollercoaster, Starship and Revolution again.
well jason cant be completely dead set against recycling the past or the lagwafis reissue and shows would never have happened
Hahaha, yeah, I agree with you there. Nor would he play Spacemen 3 songs in his set lists time and time again.

I must admit that I'd leap at the chance to see them live as I never got the chance back in the day, but I can't seeing it happening. Probably best left as the legend they were/are.

To be honest I don't like it when J plays 'Walkin With Jesus' live as it's never as good. To my ears it's the lowpoint of the RAH live album.......now there's one to discuss. :wink:
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

laid back in the sun wrote:has anyone heard anything about this? :shock:
Omg, I'd travel to the US for that. ^^ I don't have any money. :cry:

Haha, yeah... I haven't heard about that.
toomilk wrote:this has to be just a rumor.

That is, unless the LAGWAFIS shows caused J to completely reverse his thoughts on "treading water."
mmmhhh...

Haha, oh, how bad, I am even getting used to the idea, even if it is just a rumour...
mkb wrote:
Why would you?
laid back in the sun wrote:well i have to agree that its pretty unlikely to happen and im not sure if i'd even want it to happen but it seems very strange that a rumour like that should start in the first place and i cant help wondering have coachella approached jason and sonic about this? and just how much cash would they have to throw at them to make them put their differences aside and get on stage together again? :?
Haha, even if they were offered that much... They wouldn't do it.
Yeah, I know... It's kind of a shame though... I understand his point, but why does it have to be recycling? I mean... It just seems like a bad excuse to me. ^^
Oh yeah... I don't know...

He never seems fully convinced to me either. It's kind of funny, really... Not that I could judge, but...
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Brilliant, ' laid back in the sun' ! There was really no rumour. You just 'planted the seed' in the minds of other space cadets , hoping it would sprout and grow ( and it has ). :evil:
laid back in the sun
Known user

spacemanrich wrote:Brilliant, ' laid back in the sun' ! There was really no rumour. You just 'planted the seed' in the minds of other space cadets , hoping it would sprout and grow ( and it has ). :evil:
not guilty! i came across a mention of this rumour on a festival message board, googled it and found it had been mentioned a few times so thought i'd ask here to see if anyone had heard anything about it or had an idea where this rumour came from so dont shoot the messenger! :roll:
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I'd love it if it was true and then they only played "Dreamweapon"
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

that would be rad Chris..
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Chris Barrus wrote:I'd love it if it was true and then they only played "Dreamweapon"
And Will remembers to turn his amp on this time.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

spacemanrich wrote:Brilliant, ' laid back in the sun' ! There was really no rumour. You just 'planted the seed' in the minds of other space cadets , hoping it would sprout and grow ( and it has ). :evil:
Hahaha, awww... Yeah, I agree. It's a mean thing to do...
not guilty! i came across a mention of this rumour on a festival message board, googled it and found it had been mentioned a few times so thought i'd ask here to see if anyone had heard anything about it or had an idea where this rumour came from so dont shoot the messenger! :roll:
These people don't seem to know what they've done to us. :lol:
Chris Barrus wrote:I'd love it if it was true and then they only played "Dreamweapon"
^^Awwwwww.
slim wrote:
And Will remembers to turn his amp on this time.
:lol: Hahahaha. I think I have to listen more closely now.

Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelected ... adid=18455
http://exclaim.ca/articles/generalartic ... fid1=30312 <- Ah, it sounds so mean... They should really reunite!

I mean... Really... All that anti-reunion talk of Jason... He never even gives proper reasons. All that talk about not being retrospective and then he re-releases his third album for the price of an expensive concert ticket... And he feels the influence the LAGWFIS shows had on him and they have inspired him for his seventh record... God, man... I mean, it's ok if he doesn't want to give reasons for his decision against a possible reunion, I am really ok with that, but then he shouldn't give some kind of... pseudo reasons and pretend that it's only a decision against retrospective music. But then the LAGWFIS shows and what he said about it...

OK, right. I see I am getting nowhere here, but it's true. I just don't get him.

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Already There wrote: I mean... Really... All that anti-reunion talk of Jason... He never even gives proper reasons. All that talk about not being retrospective and then he re-releases his third album for the price of an expensive concert ticket. I just don't get him.
He has always veered away from any hint of answering any questions re: Sonic. He doesn't want to reunite. Period. His perogative and he has his reasons which he doesn't want to make public.
http://www.nme.com/news/spiritualized/48730
Maybe the split was so bitter he doesnt want to re live it. Sounds like the wounds haven't healed.
Re: LAGWAFIS. ATP asked him to do it. He had the demos and outtakes. From all accounts they are fantastic. Sounds like the let you see the album evolve into what eventually became LAGWAFIS. And that is something I am looking forward to listening to.
What response would satisfy you?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

theres a large number of potential reasons for spacemen 3 never to reform, least of which is the fact gerald palmer owns the name, and the recordings (remember that less than brilliant contract with all bright cleaners).

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2285176

so im guessing palmer would expect a good chunk of any monies offered to an sp3 reunion for starters.

and thats before you then consider the issues of previous relationships, 20 years of arguments, drugs (pierce has a family with children these days).

simply kember and pierce are so very similar in everything they do (even 20 years down the line, pierce has a vox starstreamer after kember got one in sp3, records playable at different speeds, mad packaging, working with jim dickinson etc, etc). they simply wont get on.

imagine if they did reform, who would play bass, guitar and drums? pierce would want the latest spiz line up musicians, kember would probably want messers mattock and carruthers or some such (would they really want invovlement? these days both are pretty busy with their own projects i guess : brian jonestown, the flies, the cranes etc). it would be a nightmare scenario to resolve.

kember's current spectrum line up, is pretty much the nearest id reckon you'll get to seeing a sp3 line up. blimey, he's even got a guitarist called jason who sits down for the entire gig......
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

From that interview I think we can safely assume this is the very last word on any reunion.
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

nickh wrote:From that interview I think we can safely assume this is the very last word on any reunion.
I doubt it..... I kind of feel sorry for Jason, he has always been quite clear that as far as he was concerned S3 was over forever right since 1990 and yet here we are 20 years later debating. The reality is that a large number of people would love the Spacemen to reform so the question will be getting asked for the rest of his life, and, given the fact that S3's cult status is only going to grow, the money on offer is only going to increase as well... (I am not saying that any of S3 is particularly motivated by cash but hey, we are all human...)

Personally I can't see it happening for a long time, but I wouldn't ever rule it out. Cale and Reed's split was pretty bad and they reformed in the end. Let's recovene in 10 years and see how the land lies then!

To me, there is a magic in the Spacemen 3 material that isn't there in the solo stuff, so I would always want to experience that. Maybe it is just cos you always want what you can't have though, to be fair.

As for the comments regarding the line up- on the basis it is all very hypothetical now surely it has to be the Perfect Prescription line up? No disrepect to Willie and Jon but the material played post 87, with the exception of the rarely played "Lord Can You Hear Me?" and maybe "I Believe It" had all been worked up with the previous lineup (even Bo Diddley Jam). It always surprises me Bassman and Rosco get so little credit, although I suppose most people are more familiar with the last couple of tours. I personally think the bootlegs from 86- early 88 are the best ones- varied sets and different approaches to songs from gig to gig. I always got the impression that by 1989 they hated each other so much they just kept to the ones they knew best to avoid unnecesssary rehearsal!!!!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

OK, last word from Jason anyway.

The Velvet Underground reunion is surely the classic example for any band NOT to reform, a reputation and legacy ruined (nearly) in one short tour. Just horrible, I would hate that to happen to Spacemen 3.
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

Would be good to see them reunited for a one-off show - I don't see the harm in that but I do agree with the Velvets comment- What was up with the audience clapping along to 'Heroin' on the live tour - that was just wrong, plain wrong. The Velvets reforming missed the point entirely of what they stood for in the first place (Pirelli tyres anyone?) Yeah, he does have a point...

Live reunion aside, it would be good to see them both record something together - that would be (much) better!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hell will freeze over before this happens.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Outside of the people that post here - is there really that much interest in a Spacemen 3 reunion? I was at their last gig at Reading and they were low on the bill. What's changed since then?

They've always been a cult band.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

JPB wrote:Outside of the people that post here - is there really that much interest in a Spacemen 3 reunion? I was at their last gig at Reading and they were low on the bill. What's changed since then?

I concur , can`t really see that their would be that much demand ,in fact I think I would be a bit disappointed if they did ,though would probably be their just the same ,

have a picture off them in my mind post encore standing in a line holding hands and taking a bow stage front and man its just wrong ,although ticklin` me. The past on this occasion is probably best left their,
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

JPB wrote:Outside of the people that post here - is there really that much interest in a Spacemen 3 reunion? I was at their last gig at Reading and they were low on the bill. What's changed since then?

Maybe, but remember who were on directly after Spacemen 3 that day and how many people turned out to see them last year?

BTW, Will Carruthers view of that day is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tc4em44VGg, this is so funny.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

nickh wrote:

Maybe, but remember who were on directly after Spacemen 3 that day and how many people turned out to see them last year?

BTW, Will Carruthers view of that day is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tc4em44VGg, this is so funny.
Aye thats quite funny,was their that day ,seem to remember they had a third guitarist not sure who? but Will`s looking quite perky their ,bit of a racontuer..... the old memory and thats not the same so who was next? MBV? not sure the comparison is the same though ,maybe I`m doing the Spacemen a disservice here,but MBV seem to have been hyped up to f8ck since the early 90`s where the Spacemen are still kinda for those in the know ...sorta.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

niamhm wrote:
nickh wrote:

Aye thats quite funny,was their that day ,seem to remember they had a third guitarist not sure who? but Will`s looking quite perky their ,bit of a racontuer..... the old memory and thats not the same so who was next? MBV? not sure the comparison is the same though ,maybe I`m doing the Spacemen a disservice here,but MBV seem to have been hyped up to f8ck since the early 90`s where the Spacemen are still kinda for those in the know ...sorta.
That was Mark Refoy.

And yes, it was My Bloody Valentine who played just after the Spacemen.
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

I think people would be surprised in the level of interest in a re-union even though at the moment we all accept it's about as likely as Jason's next spz album being a collection of Spectrum covers. A hell of a lot of current bands would sound a lot different (or even wouldn't exist) without S3 (BJM, Warlocks, Animal Collective, Wooden Shjips, to name a few), and they are getting name checked by a lot (eg MGMT- when I saw them all they played before they came on was S3 and Spz, nothing else....)

I don't think many people turned up to the last Stooges shows in 1974 but they seem to be selling out the Hammersmith odeon easily enough six months in advance.....

I do take people's point about the chances being that it would be an anticlimax, and I agree the VU re-union is a good illustration of why maybe you should just leave alone. I was 11 in '89 though so never saw them first time round so can't help wanting it to happen, even if all the facts suggest it's won't ever.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I think an alternate template would be the Can reunion show. Czukay, Karoli, Liebezeit, Schmidt all took part but each played separate sets (and never all together).

So the Spacemen 3 reunion show would be a bill of Spectrum, Spiritualized, Freelovebabies, The Darkside and/or Alphastone.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

That sounds terrible.... did they actually bill that as a Can 'reunion'? I for one would not be happy with that
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

I can usually understand it when people say "So-and-so shouldn't reunite in case it ruins the band's legacy, reputation etc", but if they did play some shows I can't deny I'd want to go. I've seen a few bands who've reunited in recent years, simply to fulfill my selfish want to see them play the music I like, and I've enjoyed all of them. I'd love to see S3 for the same reason.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:That sounds terrible.... did they actually bill that as a Can 'reunion'? I for one would not be happy with that
It was made very clear from the beginning that Can was not playing together.
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

Chris Barrus wrote:I think an alternate template would be the Can reunion show. Czukay, Karoli, Liebezeit, Schmidt all took part but each played separate sets (and never all together).

So the Spacemen 3 reunion show would be a bill of Spectrum, Spiritualized, Freelovebabies, The Darkside and/or Alphastone.
I have to say I would be well up for that bill. Probably should include Slipstream for completeness as well!

No reason that couldn't be achieved either (save for re-uniting the Darkside which I think is unlikely...!!). We just need some enterprising promoter to book the bands separately and forget to tell them who else is on the bill!!!
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Ghost_World wrote:I can usually understand it when people say "So-and-so shouldn't reunite in case it ruins the band's legacy, reputation etc", but if they did play some shows I can't deny I'd want to go. I've seen a few bands who've reunited in recent years, simply to fulfill my selfish want to see them play the music I like, and I've enjoyed all of them. I'd love to see S3 for the same reason.
I can totally relate to that. I pinned them down as one of the three bands I'd love most to reunite. It'd be so hard for me to decide between seeing The Verve, Ride and Spacemen 3 live if they all played on the same day.

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I think they're confusing the reality of Spectrum playing Spacemen 3 songs with the idea of a Spacemen 3 reunion. All recent billing for Spectrum has either included "ex-Spacemen 3" or "(Spacemen 3)" -- don't get yer hopes up.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

where did the previous post go? hmmmmm
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

toomilk wrote:where did the previous post go? hmmmmm
Ah, I deleted my post. I found out that it was indeed yet another rumour.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Chris Barrus wrote:
Goodnightgoodnight wrote:That sounds terrible.... did they actually bill that as a Can 'reunion'? I for one would not be happy with that
It was made very clear from the beginning that Can was not playing together.
And it was bloody fantastic as well. The night was billed as Can Solo Proejcts. Irmin Schmidt's was the best for me, then I had the honour of sitting next to him later in the show!!
Junkrabbit
Known user

Post by Junkrabbit »

I think this is about as likely to happen as a re-union of the original Pink Floyd line-up, frankly!
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Junkrabbit wrote:I think this is about as likely to happen as a re-union of the original Pink Floyd line-up, frankly!
At least all the members who have ever been in the band are still alive! Why... This is not fair. :cry:

But yes, it doesn't look as if it's ever going to happen...

Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

toomilk wrote:I think they're confusing the reality of Spectrum playing Spacemen 3 songs with the idea of a Spacemen 3 reunion. All recent billing for Spectrum has either included "ex-Spacemen 3" or "(Spacemen 3)" -- don't get yer hopes up.
Hahaha, yes. It looks very confusing on Last.fm. I wish...