Spectrum Live Chronicles

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Ian

Spectrum Live Chronicles

Post by Ian »

Spaceage are reissuing these hard-to-find CDs, originally put out by Sonic as limited CD-Rs. Details here.

Love,

Ian
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

anyone know if this is remastered/remixed from the previous version?
$60 was enough the first time around but if they were an upgrade in sound quality I might consider it, or even issued on non-cdrs. thanks for any other info you guys got

aaron
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Positive news!
I'll not hesitate, will order it surely.

"During the mastering track markers have been set to split the songs whilst retaining a single, uninterrupted performance."

could that mean also some extra polishing?
Ian

Post by Ian »

veiko wrote:Positive news!
"During the mastering track markers have been set to split the songs whilst retaining a single, uninterrupted performance."

could that mean also some extra polishing?
Or, in other words, it's a live performance of more than one song, on a CD, where the tracks are individually accessable. Like any other live CD. This does sound as feeble as DVDs that list "scene access" as a special feature.

Love,

Ian
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Hi, I like Sonic's Sp3 work a lot (well, I don't much care for Big City) and I like most of "Soul Kiss (Glide Divine)" and "What Came Before After," though some of it is a bit too self-indulgent for my taste. Are these really worth picking up for 43 U.S. dollars? Can anyone describe the contents in any detail?

Thanks
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Well 1 disc is two good quality live recordings one is Spectrum cia "Soul Kiss" and the other one of the few live dates Sonic did around the time of the "Spectrum" album release. In old bootlegs type grading they are B+ or A- quality. I like them.

The other disc is a hoch-poch of odds and ends, like the gig disc, radio session (with Mark Goodyear's into IIRC just like when I recorded it off the radio too - so it's not off the BBC masters) and a strange selection of live versions of song you'd never had though he'd play live. It's a bit "bitty" but has it's moments, particularly the live stuff towards the end.

It depend on what you want from these discs, if it's a good Sonic bootleg it's the first disc you want, or if you want to round up all those hard to find gig disc live oddities etc then it's the second disc you want.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

I like the cover art but cant help feeling slightly gutted about this as I could've done with selling my copies on and was under the impression (although admittedly it was never stated) that this was some kind of one-off...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nasty,

yes, it was 'supposed' to be a 'one off', but i guess Sonic needs the money. you would be apalled if i told you the royalty amount he rec'd for the last E.A.R. album "continuum".
The Black Lodge
Known user

Post by The Black Lodge »

Can anyone remember how many of the first edition Sonic produced???
Was it 50 of each disc???
And £20 a disc???

Christopher.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

spacemanrich wrote:Nasty,

yes, it was 'supposed' to be a 'one off', but i guess Sonic needs the money. you would be apalled if i told you the royalty amount he rec'd for the last E.A.R. album "continuum".
Just out of interest, how many records does he sell (and get royalties on)?

And how does this amount compare to how many records are 'sold on' (presumably, sold on with an added scarcity premium to boot) by fans (with no royalty payment)?

Just another occupational hazard associated with being a 'cult'?

And I know it's not about the money, and I don't want to know real figures, but if anyone knows roughly how many 'units' are produced/shifted for the average release I'd be interested. You know, interested.
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

The Black Lodge wrote:Can anyone remember how many of the first edition Sonic produced???
Was it 50 of each disc???
And £20 a disc???

Christopher.
It was definately 50 each, personally signed & #'d.
I remember sending something like $60 to sonic for the two discs, the "optical enhancement sheet" and shipping. Of course the exchange rate was a bit better back then so I can't remember how many quid they were.

aaron
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

part of sonic's post advertising the original sent around end of 2001:
Hi
. Just a short line to let you guys know that I'm doing a short (50) run of 2 c.d.s with color cover of unreleased live Spectrum stuff.
    This stuff is for freeks only & is mostly rare live versions of songs rarely played .I recommend it for folks having all the studio discs , and wanting to hear some differant versions/approaches to these songs . For Folks just hearing Spectrum/Spacemen 3 I'd suggest this might not be the best place to start. For anyone who remembers Bootlegs , this is a comparable "product" .  It is compiled by Matt Hunter.

Each c.d. has 14 songs , few are duplicated unless radically differant line up/version .This stuff is medium rare if not raw , but I think , an interesting document of Spectrum Pre '95.
Admittedly, it doesn't actually state that it was ever gonna be a one-off....
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

:roll:

anyone can add track marks(no pun intended) for free on their home pc.

seems to me this one is pushing it a bit far, but that's all I'm gonna say.
JL
Known user

Post by JL »

instead of over-priced reissue after reissue after reissue, how bout that new spectrum alb that's been talked up for the past year+?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

slim wrote: The other disc is a hoch-poch of odds and ends, like the gig disc, radio session (with Mark Goodyear's into IIRC just like when I recorded it off the radio too - so it's not off the BBC masters).
Got the CDs yesterday - I like the live stuff but I don't understand why the Radio 1 session has to have that gormless fuckwit Mark Goodier blathering on about how ace Radio 1 is, according to market research. Why couldn't they get the original masters? Surely Sonic has access to this.
Like slim says, it's no different to taping it off the radio.

Goodier

Post by Guest »

I was on a very drunk and stoned barge trip (including a couple of days in Rugby) when that session was broadcast. Musyt've been about 16.

Was recording it on a tape player with dying batteries and having to hold the aerial to get any good reception.

I can still here that c*** Goodier's voice come in over the coda of Revolution going "ooh this is good" then babbling over the next 3/4 minutes about whatever shite band was on next week.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i got my copies yesterday.

first thing i noticed that nobody else has sayed that there are absolutly no marks about the label. no sings that mention SpaceAgeRecordings.
thats unusual. no label and we are talking about Sonic Boom.
this release is anyway something when Sonic is milking a dead cow.

but i can't resist to tell that i'm still on my toes - it's just cool to have those kind of releases. recordings of sessions and live performances that make the studio releases bloom in fresh air.

so, what stinks?

that someone got it directly from the source years ago and it wasn't cheap and NOW it's out there. just like that.
and radio session is still recorded from radio.
(i'm not surprised that i have the Goodier session on tape with better quality)

so, what rules?

"Take Your Time" - hello, the most poppy pop song that Sonic has done?!
more beats, some vocoder effects and this is it - indie dancefloor hit for sure. (Just like "Ginger snaps" on the Sonic Souvenirs, but that was remixed by Tony Visconti)
and the feeling of space rock is there. completly.
live stuff is fantastic!

alright, a confession too. i didn't order the first set from Sonic, i downloaded it.
but it's like with the club-members-only issues, that there is always a goat that will buy 2 issues and will eventually bring them out and they daylight price will be -------- yeah, it will get huge.

alright, some bullshit too - right right, so is it nice to release a small amount of discs and later find a wheel to make more cash and more and more.

lets not ask the question "where is the end".
the end is death, but that means no fucking new releases.
so please stop fucking bitching that i got the number 2 from the 20 releases issues (sorry, nothing personal about numbers).

just wake up from the dream that Sonic Boom will make a song for your birthday and nobody else will ever listen to it.

it's actually easy to hope that SpaceAge will release even more from the same series. it just takes more fan talk and the label will consider it. perhaps yes. that could be it!

nice design though! i'm talking about IT.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Re: Spectrum Live Chronicles

Post by Dreamweapon »

Did Sonic or anyone else ever manage to get hold of the master version that Spectrum session on Mark Goodier session without the DJ chatter?

Any chance that some more of the Chronicles CDs will see the light of day in a non Space Age release taht we can buy with confidence?