Sonic Boom on BBC6 7th March

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Mr Slang
Known user

Sonic Boom on BBC6 7th March

Post by Mr Slang »

According to the Spectrum myspace page, Sonic will be on the Jarvis show this coming Sunday at 4:30pm chatting about Spectrum, MGMT, etc....should be good.
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: Sonic Boom on BBC6 7th March

Post by Shinesalight »

Thanks for the heads up Mr Slang.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

Tip...
I downloaded this show using this bit of software http://po-ru.com/files/ipdl.exe

and this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 7_03_2010/

should think it'll only be available till the next show tho :wink:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That "Only The Crumbliest..." tune was gorgeous. Anyone know if it got an official release? Can't find any info anywhere.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Being the lazy fucker that I am....anyone know what time in the show Sonic's interview comes on?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

its somewhere towards the beginning of the second half

i ripped the audio and edited it to just the part with sonic...(there is one little glitch due to the stream on my comp. but it only last like 2 seconds, and nothing is missed...)

how do i upload it????
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I can't download a bean at the moment due to crap pc etc - any chance anyone would give a flavour of the chat on here?
cheers
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

oky doky,
the chat was mainly about Delia Derbyshire, and who she was and her background. Then Sonic talked a bit about how he tracker her down to be on what I can only assume would be "Forever Alien", but i may be wrong...they also played a few songs by Delia and the stuff Sonic did with Delia.

here is a send space link with the sonic boom portion of the program....

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pg64qy

Why exactly are they not allowed to talk about the cadbury stuff? who would sue them??
and what are the "Crumbliest"? are they cookies or something?

i watched an awesome Documentary on the radiophonic workshop last night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKPGzX5kZd0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats a link to the first part
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

marcvolta wrote:Why exactly are they not allowed to talk about the cadbury stuff? who would sue them??
and what are the "Crumbliest"? are they cookies or something?

The "crumbliest" part relates to an old advertising slogan for the Cadbury's Flake chocolate bar. They're not supposed to talk about it because the BBC, as a publicly funded broadcaster, is not allowed to advertise. This means that they usually tip-toe around anything that could be seen as an endorsement of a product.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

oh ok. i never knew that the BBC was a public broadcaster. i guess they are the UK version of NPR (national public radio)?!
candidate
New user

Post by candidate »

They also didn't take too kindly to Pete referring to Delia's "Air on a G String" take, as I quote "retarded"

I noticed they edited that out on the iplayer version.

Pete being politically incorrect shocker? Never.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

marcvolta wrote:oh ok. i never knew that the BBC was a public broadcaster. i guess they are the UK version of NPR (national public radio)?!

I'm not sure what NPR is. Everyone in Britain with a TV has to pay for a TV licence, which is currently £142.50 per year. This pays for all of the BBC TV channels (I can think of at least 7 of them off the top of my head, plus regional variations), all of the radio stations (at least 10 plus regional variations) and their websites. It works out at about 39 pence per day, which is less than the cost of a lot of newspapers.

In my opinion it's one of the greatest institutions in the UK.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mkb wrote: In my opinion it's one of the greatest institutions in the UK.
I know a lot of criticism is thrown at the BBC - often with good reason - but I find their web site more informative than any other I know, and if you compare the quality of things like news, documentaries, drama etc. they are miles better than the other channels. I can't watch ITV news as it's so badly done. Channel 4 has an excellent evening news show but I find myself watching more BBC channels than anything else by some distance.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

NPR is national public radio in America. they have a bunch of different shows with news and some random music. pretty random stuff, but i listen to NPR everyday on my way home from work, to get news and neat stories. they do have sponsers that are businesses though. its a non-profit org.... they also sometimes use BBC reporters for stories from the UK and Eu
they are the station that recorded and broadcasted the Spiritualized show at the 9:30 club in D.C. it was the full show and an interview with Thee Spaceman....
NPR.org is pretty cool too
Mr Slang
Known user

Post by Mr Slang »

Ads wrote:Being the lazy fucker that I am....anyone know what time in the show Sonic's interview comes on?
about 1hr 5mins in....Its on the main BBC I player webpage under 'I player specials'. Mine plays perfectly fine, so much so that my 9yr old daughter has asked me to play 'zwizih zwizih oooh oooh oooh' three times over. Most impressed. :D
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

The 'Crumbliest/Flake' tune is amazing and was released 2/3 years ago on a free CD with an arty mag called Esopus. It's an appropriately luxuriant piece.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

mkb wrote:Everyone in Britain with a TV has to pay for a TV licence, which is currently £142.50 per year. This pays for all of the BBC TV channels (I can think of at least 7 of them off the top of my head, plus regional variations), all of the radio stations (at least 10 plus regional variations) and their websites. It works out at about 39 pence per day, which is less than the cost of a lot of newspapers.

In my opinion it's one of the greatest institutions in the UK.
In sweden it´s about 195 gbp per household/family and we only get three proper tv channels (and radio and edu stuff)... but still worth it imo.
pretty important to have at least some media free of corporate interests.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
PapaLazarou
Known user

Post by PapaLazarou »

nice, thanks!