Favorite Sonic/Spectrum Songs

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

jadams501
Known user

Favorite Sonic/Spectrum Songs

Post by jadams501 »

For my first several years of Spacemen 3 fandom, I didn't care much for Sonic's vocals and occasionally felt that his "singing" and uncompromising drones could add an unpalatable geekiness to the music -- cresting in Forever Alien. But over the last year or so I've come to appreciate that Pete's vocals, albeit extremely limited in range, are distinctly emotive in its own way and often captures the gawky innocence of classic teen pop from the 50s and 60s.

What are everyone's favorite Sonic/Spectrum songs? I think I'd pick:

Spacemen 3 -- Transparent Radiation from How The Blues..., Call The Doctor, Honey, Hypno Beat

Spectrum -- How You Satisfy Me, Touch The Stars, Then I Just Drifted Away (prob my favorite of all his stuff), True Love Will Find You In The End
Laz69
Known user

Re: Favorite Sonic/Spectrum Songs

Post by Laz69 »

I have an avid appreciation of all of Sonics work and have never thought his vocals lacked... for the music he does, the vocals have always been good for me. Maybe i've always taken your point into acount in advance (no great expectations) and he obviously knows his limits.

I LOVE Spectrum albums from the stark and simple "Spectrum" album through to his EAR-cross over moment that was "Forever Alien" and all that followed.

"Spectrum" is a fantastic debut. "Angel" has got to be one of the best tracks he ever put down. "If I Should Die" a fitting end.

"Soul Kiss" as an album is just sublime. From start to finish. If i put this on, its on until the last song finishes. I often find it difficult to decide whether i like "Soul Kiss" or "Lazer Guided Melodies" better in comparison.

"Highs & Lows..." is another gem and i think its a little underrated at times. Some great songs and some really chilled out vibe throughout. "Undo The Taboo" was a cracking precursor when it came out.

I remember first hearing "Forever Alien" and thinking it was an EAR album. Thought there had been some sort of mixup, but the more i listened the more i got out of it. I think it was always going to divide the fans as EAR can be a challenging listen at times and i think people were expecting another "Highs & Lows..." but there are some really goods songs on there. I even like the takes on the Spacemen 3 stuff.

This has put me in the mood for a Spectrum day... off to queue up the albums... will get back with any particular highlights after a fresh listen...
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I think that the solo lp Spectrum is seriously underated and/or has not had the distribution it deserves - keep hearing that space age will be re releasing it one day?????

Even down to the artwork - my fav sleeve I think in my collection including the inner sleeve of Sonic's toys/collectable figures

I love Go to sleep/ Angel/ Undo the taboo/ True Love/ Take Your Time to name one ot two. Speaking as someone with a limited vocal range I love his vocals!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I hope they do re-release Sonic Boom - Spectrum one day. As I griped previously about (Spacemen 3 albums coincidentally) it's very frustrating that all sorts of garbage is getting re-released on a weekly basis, but not this stuff!

In keeping within the thread through, 'Feels Like I'm Slipping Away' (Forever Alien) takes some beating. Awesome... :D
O P 8
henryapplecore
Known user

Post by henryapplecore »

Whoever owns Spectrum, Soul Kiss & Highs Lows Heavenly Blows is a fool to be sitting on them at this moment. All are worthy of re-release. Surely everyone has noticed the resurgence in interest in everything-spacemen related?

The first time I heard that song 'take your time' off "Highs..." I thought it was Jason singing! Sounds so similar.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Spacemen 3 - Honey, Let Me Down Gently, Just To See You Smile, I Love You, Set Me Free
Spectrum - How You Satisfy Me, Lord I Dont Even Know My Name, Waves Wash Over Me, Soothe Me, Feels Like I'm Slipping Away

Of all of those, I think Honey tops it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

henryapplecore wrote: The first time I heard that song 'take your time' off "Highs..." I thought it was Jason singing! Sounds so similar.
Really? That's Scott Reilly singing who was also the lead guitarist. Very effective player and a nice guy too. I prefer the version on Indian Giver with Pete singing actually.

The finest Sonic Boom song for me is Let Me Down gently - a track where he hardly sings at all. I know it's a Spacemen track but it still sounds incredible today. I also love Set Me Free which has such a lively feel it can't help but raise a smile.

His vocal style is pretty varied too - I think he can bellow his words out (Come Together, Revolution, Undo The Taboo, War Sucks) or sound tranquil (Lord I Don't Even Know My Name, True Love Will Find You In The End, Waves Wash Over Me) and I completely disagree that his range is limited.
Mr Slang
Known user

Post by Mr Slang »

World is dying/Lord I dont even know my name/Then I just drifted away/You're the one/Angel
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

henryapplecore wrote:Whoever owns Spectrum, Soul Kiss & Highs Lows Heavenly Blows is a fool to be sitting on them at this moment. All are worthy of re-release. Surely everyone has noticed the resurgence in interest in everything-spacemen related?
Yeah I was lucky enough to find these on Ebay before the prices really spiked, but these are up there with A Storm in Heaven and Screamadelica as classic British indie rock SCREAMING out for expanded & remastered reissues with the works.
runcible wrote:The finest Sonic Boom song for me is Let Me Down gently - a track where he hardly sings at all. I know it's a Spacemen track but it still sounds incredible today.
Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot to mention that one. Probably my favorite song off Playing With Fire and certainly one of the finest Spacemen/Sonic tracks!
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

I think Scott Reilly wrote it too - now plays in a mod influenced band called dc fonatana I think.

Vocal range really isn't important to me as long as someone sounds cool and it suits the music as PK's does but being objective Runci his range is limited mate lol - you will be telling me Emile Heskey is skillful next.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Go to Sleep
Taste The Ozone/2 Chord 12 Bar
Touch The Stars
Take Your Time
Waves Wash Over Me
Take Me Away
True Love Will Find You In The End - I know it's not his but both his versions are sublime.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

some blasts from the past:

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... 46&start=0

and

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... 51&start=0

but besides those links i found really obscured thing with a link to a E.A.R. dvd:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-R-Experimenta ... 657&sr=8-2
i still would like to see this come to alive.
Last edited by veiko on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Angel
Pretty Baby
Lord I Don't Even Know My Name
(I Love You) To The Moon & Back
Touch The Stars
Then I Just Drifted away
All Night Long
Don't Pass Me By
California Lullaby (Indian Summer B-side version)
My Life Spins Round Your Every Smile
True Love Will Find You In The End (California Lullaby 10" and double 7" versions)
Feels Like I'm Slipping Away
Go To Sleep

..hard to trim it to ten..
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Angel
How You Satisfy Me
Lord I Don't Even Know My Name
Touch the Stars
The Drunk Suite
I Know They Say
Take Me Away
Go To Sleep
True Love Will Find You in the End
Don't Go
2 Chord 12 Bar

And I adore all of Mesmerised, too.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

Nice thread, Pete definitely has a great voice, i've defended him before to people. Singing in tune doesn't make you a great singer, character and soul is what does that.

Help Me Please always does it for me
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The whole of the debut 'Spectrum' album is perfect from the trippy sleeve inwards. Love that album. Soul Kiss is great but not as great as Spectrum, though How You Satisfy Me is way up high in the best of Sonic list.

Agree about them needing a re-issue. Would love a digital copy of the debut for headphone journeys on the train.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Soul Kiss (Glide Divine) is the best thing Sonic's recorded outside of Spacemen 3 in my opinion. It's a f*cking brilliant album and long overdue a reissue. I think only The Perfect Prescription, Playing With Fire and perhaps Lazer Guided Melodies from the entire Sonic/Jason oeuvre better it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'd agree with Natty here. Soul Kiss is an astonishing work and works almost as a concept album as it flows so beautifully. Interestingly one of the best things on it is Sweet Running Water which I saw performed live just once. I asked Pete why he wouldn't play it more and he said it was a Richard Formby song. I really love that track. I hope he'll dig it out again one day as he did with 'Take Your Time' (also not really his composition).
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

runcible wrote:I'd agree with Natty here. Soul Kiss is an astonishing work and works almost as a concept album as it flows so beautifully. Interestingly one of the best things on it is Sweet Running Water which I saw performed live just once. I asked Pete why he wouldn't play it more and he said it was a Richard Formby song. I really love that track. I hope he'll dig it out again one day as he did with 'Take Your Time' (also not really his composition).
Take Your Time from Indian Giver is sublime - total reinvention from the muddy version from Highs Lows - rivals I Love You as his greatest pop moment.

His high water mark = Suicide. Best track of his / S3's, or anyones cannon. But a stack of highlights since.

Suicide
Angel
Take Your Time
Confederate Dead
Let me down gently / Over & Over
I know they Say
Dont Pass me By
Dont Go (Please Stay)
...Drifted Away
Transparent Radiation

I've not been on this forum much, but having read through some of the content have to say I'm baffled over some of the criticism over his vocals. It's never even occured to me - I think it's fantastic, whether it be the delivery on TR through to his spoken word stuff on PWF and beyond.

That Sonic Souveniers Lp for Dean & Britta is also ace
Last edited by KingHarry on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

the favorite?? i still think that THE beginning was the best. pete's first one, the "spectrum" album is driving my mind out just with übersimple country slides with (band folks - attention) the best tempered echoes. you need temper with echoes - and he's got it. temper enough to split the atom.

for me one of the many (FINAL) keys to enter the beautiful and freakful world of sonic boom, is the track "dream time" from "slipping to the other side" EP. "forever alien" really kicked for me. i will make many enemies with that statement, but those aliens were real diamonds in spacelines.

gosh, good to play with a dream of having more than simple "soul kiss" re-release.
i just dreamy-dream, that maybe there were some 40 minute long space-takes (or "jams" if you like) that were obviously cut shorter for the full album. to the moon and back in/for 55 minutes, i'll be there............
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've only just recently got into Pete's stuff, because it's so hard to get hold off. Bought the Refractions comp first (excellent sleeve art, just like all his records!) and then have had to get the full records by naughty means (Pete, if you are reading this, if they are reissued I will buy them in heartbeat!!).

my favourite album is definitely Soul Kiss- as people have ben saying, utterly brilliant from start to finish, love floating away at the end with Phase Me Out Gently.

my favourite songs are:

Angel (love the extended one on Refractions, builds brilliantly)
Touch The Stars (a lovely, lovely song)
All Night Long

this suggests I enjoy the more tranquil side of Pete's work, but then I love Suicide too so.. (especially the live version on the 2CD PWF)
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

I'm not sure I could pick a favourite just a squad.

Angel, the extended version if poss because you get more of it.
If I Should Die, from Spectrum. It really rounds off that album, this might sound daft but I love the way builds to nothing.
Waves Wash Over Me
Quicksilver Glide Devine
My Life Spins
Undo the Taboo
Then I Just Drifted Away
Go to Sleep
The Stars are So Far
Pox on You
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I've really enjoyed this thread - dug out my Sonic stuff - and based on the lists here listened to your recomendations - and had a whale of a time!

I love Sonic at that point where he seems to cross between Brian Eno and the Primal Scream come down songs.

Thanks!! :D
erythromycine
New user

Post by erythromycine »

Angel
How You Satisfy Me
Mary
True Love Will Find You in the End
Undoo the Taboo
It's Alright