Spacemen 3 book

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

alan_cohaul
Known user

Spacemen 3 book

Post by alan_cohaul »

Just got finished reading it, and what a read! The really ironic thing is that they'd spent so much time confusing audiences and being misunderstood, that by the time that they'd started influencing bands that were more popular (they figured that MBV took alot from the sound, and obviously Loop), the band disintegrated amidst Pete's grip on the band. The most ironic thing is that when Spiritualized formed behind Pete's back, Jason agreed that it would be a democratic process, and Jason's grip started tightening on the band, with Lupine Howl becoming to Spiritualized what Spiritualized became to Spacemen 3.

That negotiating at the end with Gerald Palmer and Dedicated, where he knew the band was in turmoil and let Dedicated sign anyways (with Dedicated having to re-sign and re-pay for Spiritualized due to no key member leaving clause...paying a "small fortune" in the end) was a bit shady, but maybe he just wanted to get something out of it for his time, ha ha.....kind of like a car salesman selling you a car where the engine is about to fall out of it.
Junkrabbit
Known user

Re: Spacemen 3 book

Post by Junkrabbit »

Jason's always had something of the used car salesman about him - "Ladies and Gentleman we Are Floating in Space" being his shiny black Porsche and "Amazing Grace" his clapped out old banger :lol: .

I don't believe he ever really intended Spiritualized to be a democracy - he just had better diplomatic skills than Sonic and so enforced his grip in a more subtle way. The speed with which the original line-up (other than Kate) withered away and the number of musicians who've passed theorugh his Mark E. Smith-embossed revolving door ever since would appear to attest to that.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I think it's pretty inaccurate to compare Spiritualized with The Fall with regards to the above - the current Spiritualized line-up has now been together for over a decade!

Hardly Mark E Smith territory I think, some of his bands only lasted for mere nanoseconds...

Another story I heard was that one of the Fall line-ups in the nineties dissolved before they even got together.
O P 8
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Another story I heard was that one of the Fall line-ups in the nineties dissolved before they even got together.
Hahahaa, how does this happen?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

alan_cohaul wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:
One line up disintegrates, then MES starts putting one together and rehearsing for an American tour, but goes mental on all the members and fires them before they play one show. Tour canceled.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Everyone knows someone that has played bass in the fall, at least everyone in manchester/england anyway
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

hehe i do, nice guy, called Tommy Crooks
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

toomilk wrote:
alan_cohaul wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:
One line up disintegrates, then MES starts putting one together and rehearsing for an American tour, but goes mental on all the members and fires them before they play one show. Tour canceled.
Hey, I was actually joking there! Well, there you go. I think they call that 'hyper-reality'. Or just The Fall. :shock:

Classic!
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Fall are probably the only band I can think of that has had more members than the Brian Jonestown Massacre. Even The Polyphonic Spree can't compete!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »