Spectrum to play at MGMT's Dublin shows

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

evan:)
Known user

Spectrum to play at MGMT's Dublin shows

Post by evan:) »

Spectrum to play at MGMT's Dublin shows - 16, 17, 18 September. Just got this off Spectrums Facebook page.

Already got a ticket as a Birthday gift for the 16th ages ago and this news just made my day.
Ghost_World
Known user

Re: Spectrum to play at MGMT's Dublin shows

Post by Ghost_World »

I hope he manages to make an appearance at the Manchester show. We're due a Kember appearance after Spectrum didn't make the Manchester date on their tour!
Known user

@ sunray ... Posters are up arround town confirming special guests for this are ...

Spectrum.

All three nights 16, 17, 18 September. Next weekend is going to be an amazing weekend.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

evan:) wrote:@ sunray ... Posters are up arround town confirming special guests for this are ...

Spectrum.

All three nights 16, 17, 18 September. Next weekend is going to be an amazing weekend.
Have fun. :)

I wonder what the support is for Berlin...
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Known user

Dublin 16, 17, 18 September

Spectrum are playing a 45 minute set (songs from the Spectrum and Spacemen 3 catalogue) supporting MGMT at three Dublin shows on 16, 17 and 18 September. Tickets (some still available)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Ads wrote:Some nice photos on Flickr:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkmavis/page4/
Thanks a lot. Those are nice indeed. This might have been the biggest venue they've ever played. :lol:

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

When i walked into the venue i was faced with the youngest audience i've seen at a gig in a long time, i actually felt like i might get arrested just for being there! Anyways, Spectrum played a 45 minute set consisting of Lonesome Death of Johnny Ace, How You Satisfy Me, When Tomorrow Hits, Revolution, War Sucks and Suicide. Most people in the audience hadn't a clue who they were although there was the odd enthusiastic fan scattered around the venue. Good set, although Revolution was quite plodding and pedestrian.

As for MGMT, they had their moments. If they beefed up their sound a bit they'd be a lot better as the new material has a kinda Barret era Floyd feel to it but needs to have a bit of dirt thrown into the mix. I did find it odd that from where i was standing they seemed to have Jack Black playing guitar for them, he was making all the moves and everything. :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

sunray wrote:When i walked into the venue i was faced with the youngest audience i've seen at a gig in a long time, i actually felt like i might get arrested just for being there! Anyways, Spectrum played a 45 minute set consisting of Lonesome Death of Johnny Ace, How You Satisfy Me, When Tomorrow Hits, Revolution, War Sucks and Suicide. Most people in the audience hadn't a clue who they were although there was the odd enthusiastic fan scattered around the venue. Good set, although Revolution was quite plodding and pedestrian.

As for MGMT, they had their moments. If they beefed up their sound a bit they'd be a lot better as the new material has a kinda Barret era Floyd feel to it but needs to have a bit of dirt thrown into the mix. I did find it odd that from where i was standing they seemed to have Jack Black playing guitar for them, he was making all the moves and everything. :lol:
Jack Black? :lol: Will have to pay more attention to that in the future.

Sounds like a decent gig. Revolution sounding plodding and pedestrian? ^^ Too rough? Nice set. Aw, wish I'd have been there.

jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

sunray wrote:When i walked into the venue i was faced with the youngest audience i've seen at a gig in a long time, i actually felt like i might get arrested just for being there! Anyways, Spectrum played a 45 minute set consisting of Lonesome Death of Johnny Ace, How You Satisfy Me, When Tomorrow Hits, Revolution, War Sucks and Suicide. Most people in the audience hadn't a clue who they were although there was the odd enthusiastic fan scattered around the venue. Good set, although Revolution was quite plodding and pedestrian.

I'm glad to hear that When You Satisfy Me is still in the mix... one of the great unheralded pop songs of the 90s imho. Doesn't surprise me that Revolution sounds tired by now. Sometimes it came close to getting a little dull even back in Spacemen 3 days, so maybe now it's time to let it rest for a while. Of course, I guess since it was Spacemen 3's biggest hit he needs to play it.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

jadams501 wrote: I'm glad to hear that When You Satisfy Me is still in the mix... one of the great unheralded pop songs of the 90s imho. Doesn't surprise me that Revolution sounds tired by now. Sometimes it came close to getting a little dull even back in Spacemen 3 days, so maybe now it's time to let it rest for a while. Of course, I guess since it was Spacemen 3's biggest hit he needs to play it.
^^ Yes. It's the "Wonderwall" phenomenon, isn't it? Although it will take me a long long time to get sick of Revolution. I wouldn't mind him not playing Revolution if it means he plays another good song.

KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Frankly - and I love the man - it is tragic that he is still playing the key songs of his former bands high water-mark.

I love 2 bands above all others, The Fall and S3.

You see The Fall and MES plays a set generally consisting of nothing > 3 years old. Typically allnew songs or off last LP. Everything is fresh, always moving on. The breadth and quality of the back catalogue is astonishing.

In contrast, Sonic basically is still playing mostly songs from 87. Or covers. Or early Spectrum songs.

It is frustrating.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

MES just brought psychic dancehall back into the live rotation (for the first time probably since 1980!).

That would be like Sonic playing "Fixin' To Die" !!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

KingHarry wrote:Frankly - and I love the man - it is tragic that he is still playing the key songs of his former bands high water-mark.

I love 2 bands above all others, The Fall and S3.

You see The Fall and MES plays a set generally consisting of nothing > 3 years old. Typically allnew songs or off last LP. Everything is fresh, always moving on. The breadth and quality of the back catalogue is astonishing.

In contrast, Sonic basically is still playing mostly songs from 87. Or covers. Or early Spectrum songs.

It is frustrating.
I agree with this. I'd be happy to hear "Owsley" over "When Tomorrow Hits." I think he should leave the S3 material be at this point and move forward. I'm still excited about the possibility of a new album, but we still have no idea if and when it will happen.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

TheWarmth wrote: I'd be happy to hear "Owsley" over "When Tomorrow Hits." I think he should leave the S3 material be at this point and move forward. I'm still excited about the possibility of a new album, but we still have no idea if and when it will happen.
There are a lot of Sonic/Spectrum songs I'd love to hear over When Tomorrow Hits, but NONE of them are from the Forever Alien LP.

While I'll looking forward to another Spectrum album, hopefully sooner rather than later, I don't agree that Sonic should leave the Spacemen3 material behind. I think he's defined a tiny little niche at which he is an absolutely titanic master, and many of his Sp3 songs are his most iconic and successful explorations of what it is that Sonic does. Absolutely bring on new material, but I for one still want to hear Honey, Set Me Free, Repeater, et al.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

toomilk wrote:MES just brought psychic dancehall back into the live rotation (for the first time probably since 1980!).

That would be like Sonic playing "Fixin' To Die" !!

And it's great when it happens, but you get my point!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jadams501 wrote:
TheWarmth wrote: I'd be happy to hear "Owsley" over "When Tomorrow Hits." I think he should leave the S3 material be at this point and move forward. I'm still excited about the possibility of a new album, but we still have no idea if and when it will happen.
There are a lot of Sonic/Spectrum songs I'd love to hear over When Tomorrow Hits, but NONE of them are from the Forever Alien LP.

While I'll looking forward to another Spectrum album, hopefully sooner rather than later, I don't agree that Sonic should leave the Spacemen3 material behind. I think he's defined a tiny little niche at which he is an absolutely titanic master, and many of his Sp3 songs are his most iconic and successful explorations of what it is that Sonic does. Absolutely bring on new material, but I for one still want to hear Honey, Set Me Free, Repeater, et al.
Also quite happy to let Forever Alien to drift by.

In the absence of new stuff, I'd love him to get some of the other S3 gems out or play more of Highs Lows and a 20 minute version of Confederate Dead.
Girl on Fire could do with an extended re-work also.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Forever Alien, but I do think Owsley is a pretty awesome song and I bet it'd be great live. Undoo The Taboo is another one I'd love to hear.