Britta Phillips covering How You Satisfy Me

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

olliemorr
Known user

Britta Phillips covering How You Satisfy Me

Post by olliemorr »

As per thread title:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-VIzIyN7T8

You'll find this on Never Lose That Feeling vol. 2 on Club AC30.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Lose-That ... 761&sr=8-4
There's 3 volumes altogether with a few gems on each.
radioshack
Known user

Re: Britta Phillips covering How You Satisfy Me

Post by radioshack »

Man, who woulda thought Jem would cover this?! :wink:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

What an amazing cover and what a gorgeous voice. I know Dean & Britta get spoken about a lot on here but I still haven't got round to checking them out. This song has certainly given me the impetus to go and get something by them now.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Ads wrote:What an amazing cover and what a gorgeous voice. I know Dean & Britta get spoken about a lot on here but I still haven't got round to checking them out. This song has certainly given me the impetus to go and get something by them now.
Sonic Souveniers LP is a great start, with PKs (restrained) textures layered over the top of songs from L'Avventura
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

You cant really go wrong w/Dean & Britta:
My order would be:
L'Avventura
13 Most Beautiful
Back Numbers

So, so good.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

I would also thoroughly recommend the '13 Most Beautiful...Songs For Andy Warhol's Screen Tests' dvd that they soundtracked. Had it in the post today and it's gorgeous.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

That version is a lot better than I expected, thanks for the link.

I don't listen to Back Numbers too often, it doesn't really grab me like L'Avventura which I think is the better of the their albums.

Sonic Souvenirs is OK, I just think they selected some of the weaker tracks from L'Avventura for Sonic to re-mix.

The 'Words We USed To Say' EP is fantastic though, I'd highly recommend that EP for any DnB fan. Sonic adds a few nice touches to Since I Laid My Burden Down on that EP.

And the 7" from Chimney Records of Old Toy Trains and the DnB version of He's Coming Home is a super release, that's on my turntable quite a bit every Christmas...along with Sonic's version of The Sonic's Santa Claus...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Last night in my shop someone came in and bought the 13 Most Beautiful 2xCD and the L'Avventura LP. I love selling their stuff. They are so nice to us. They sell directly to me. And quite honestly I am taken aback by the interest in their records. I thought I would have to work harder to sell it but people have snapped up a lot of it. I dont think many shops around here stock them.
I think I could sell one copy of the new CD everytime I play it a la Dry The Rain by Beta Band in High Fidelity.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

I'm with Broc. The Words You Used To Say ep is magnificent. Haven't yet got the Warhol album and will be very happy if it betters that EP. One of my most listened to records in the last few years especially Since I Lay My Burden Down.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

spzretent wrote:Last night in my shop someone came in and bought the 13 Most Beautiful 2xCD and the L'Avventura LP. I love selling their stuff. They are so nice to us. They sell directly to me. And quite honestly I am taken aback by the interest in their records. I thought I would have to work harder to sell it but people have snapped up a lot of it. I dont think many shops around here stock them.
I think I could sell one copy of the new CD everytime I play it a la Dry The Rain by Beta Band in High Fidelity.
Where is your shop? Sounds well worth a visit if I'm in your neck of the woods!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Dreamweapon wrote:
spzretent wrote:Last night in my shop someone came in and bought the 13 Most Beautiful 2xCD and the L'Avventura LP. I love selling their stuff. They are so nice to us. They sell directly to me. And quite honestly I am taken aback by the interest in their records. I thought I would have to work harder to sell it but people have snapped up a lot of it. I dont think many shops around here stock them.
Where is your shop? Sounds well worth a visit if I'm in your neck of the woods!
or a website??
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shop is in Royal Oak Michigan just outside of Detroit
Website under construction as we speak. They person doing is proving to be not the most relaible.
This is it so far.
http://www.gizmo-royaloak.com/index.php
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Web site is live. Its early days but you'll get the idea.
http://www.gizmo-royaloak.com
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

love the shop logo!
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Does anyone have Britta's cover of Daniel Johnston? I' can't quite remember which track is covered, or whether its Dean and Britta, or Britta alone. Can anyone shed some light on this? I believe it's used in The Devil and Daniel Johnston at some point, that's about as much as I know. Youtube has proved rather fruitless.

Also,one of Sonic's version of True Love... in the movie is great too, but it's the one version I've yet to track down. I've heard the Refractions take, and a few live versions, but does anyone know where I can find the version used in the film?

Thanks everyone!
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

There are three listed here; Honey I Sure Miss You, Hey Joe and Somethings Last A Long Time.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808626876/cast

Hey Joe is one of my favourite DJ songs, Sparkelhorse do a really good cover of it on Good Morning Spider too.

Not sure about that True Love.. used in the film, I have four different versions, maybe I'll have to dig out the DVD and play it again.

radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

There's not much on any Daniel Johnston websites I've been on. Also, I'm aware there's loads of tribute albums and the soundtrack to the documentary (which as far as I can tell was never eventually released) but so far, nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.

RIP Mabel Johnston.
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

Re: the Spectrum version used in the film....I think its just the normal(or possibly extended) version..found on SFTRI "what came before after"...or the True Love...12" single.