Fanzines

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

plastic37
Known user

Fanzines

Post by plastic37 »

I was asked to speak about music fanzines at the Birmingham Zine Festival at the weekend.
My research for this informal presentation involved getting the archive box of fanzines out from under the stairs and spending an enjoyable evening going through them.
I have typed up one piece about Spacemen 3 from a superb fanzine called Skool Bus. If the original author objects, and I doubt he will, I’ll take it down. Simon, if your reading this your fanzine is as enjoyable to read to day as it was 21 years ago.
The talk is here
http://pmhsw.posterous.com/the-ins-and- ... c-fanzines

if anyone wants to hear it

"Spacemen 3
A few lines on Spacemen 3
The Perfect Prescription was my summer last year, all lazy heat waves and bottles of wine in the parks in Manchester, sitting in peoples rooms and sleeping, each track is a different room in a huge cathedral, some wired big abbey, or catacombs, or my bedroom at night or something. Its an amazing lp which Playing with Fire does not surpass or even equal, though Suicide is magisterial, mind numbing riff and noises a hypnotic swirl of blessed out nothingness , stops yr brain right up, splits into a million tiny bits at the end, it does drop over a cliff, like all the Spacemen’s Sound Of Confusion stuff piled up together, distilled into one brain fucking simple riff, intensively repetitive beyond anything , heavy with sound, flangers and trems and no words, awesome, sit there and let it suck and well what can you say afterwards."

There is more and maybe one day I’ll type it up but I hope you enjoyed that. Typing something like this up is a lot easier that sorting something out to go on YouTube.
Heavy Tourism