High, Low and Heavenly Blows

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Methodrone
New user

High, Low and Heavenly Blows

Post by Methodrone »

Hello!
this is my first post on the forum!
I really love this album from SPECTRUM, the drone sound is really amazing, I would really like to know what kind of synth they are using on the album!
Thanks
Methodrone
New user

Re: High, Low and Heavenly Blows

Post by Methodrone »

nobody?
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

If you go here : http://www.sonic-boom.info/newatlantis.php you can see some of the synths Pete might have used on that album. I couldn't possibly say which ones tho.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It's certainly not just one synth used throughout the album. Pete is very heavy into old analog synths.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

No idea on the synths.

For my money, one of the best (if not THE best) album to come from any Spacemen project.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I just found a very detailed list of gear on Sonic's website:

http://www.sonic-boom.info/newatlantis.php
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

It's a great album but perhaps a little one-paced. Everything flows together really well. So well that it almost feels like one continuous piece of work.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

TheWarmth wrote:I just found a very detailed list of gear on Sonic's website:

http://www.sonic-boom.info/newatlantis.php
i think my posts may be invisible
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I might have dreamt this but I'm sure this release was going to have lavish packaging like Soul Kiss but Silvertone pulled the plug hence the standard issues only. Runcible can you shed any more light on this?
'Remember, change is not good'
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

@DaveW: Sorry about that. I guess I should have read all of the follow up posts before I put up that link. I will now slap my own forehead.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

BVCP206 wrote:I might have dreamt this but I'm sure this release was going to have lavish packaging like Soul Kiss but Silvertone pulled the plug hence the standard issues only. Runcible can you shed any more light on this?
When I spoke to Pete for Record Collector, he said that this was the case.

Whereas every Spectrum release on Silvertone up to this point had featured some kind of special packaging, from the “squish pack” to the clear coloured sleeves of the singles, ‘Highs, Lows…’ came in a disappointingly conventional sleeve. “Great sleeve, nice one, hey?” says Kember sarcastically, looking it over. “This sleeve was meant to be a limited edition… [it] looked like this, but it was all clear packaging, and this was all transparent inks, and it looked superb… And they never even told me they weren’t gonna do it, they made me believe they were gonna do it until it came out… Someone, like y’know, had to tell me, “Er, yeah, we’re not doing it. And we’ve pulled all the ads for the single.”” This was indeed the case; both ‘Undo The Taboo’ and ‘Highs, Lows…’ were barely promoted, and worse, once the initial (small) pressing of the album sold out, it was never re-pressed, and is consequently fairly scarce.

More here.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

@Ian.

Also by the time I went to one of the gigs to promote that album it was actually deleted. Incredible. They never even gave him any copies and he had to fight to get any after that. The concept is amazing - tour to promote an album the record company won't let anyone buy. It was originally meant to look like a stained glass window from what I remember.
davew
Known user

Post by davew »

TheWarmth wrote:@DaveW: Sorry about that. I guess I should have read all of the follow up posts before I put up that link. I will now slap my own forehead.
haha no worries, i was just taking the piss a little

i've not been posting on this forum for long and my experiences of being new on certain forums is of either being a threadkiller or an inducer of tumbleweed.

Back on topic, really wish someone would sort out a repress of HLAHB.......i even attempted to buy a copy on cd from Amazon recently but then got an email saying they were refunding me as the copy wasn't in good enough condition. I think they probably realised they could get more than the tenner i was paying for it.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Wasn't the "Best of Spectrum" set a few years back supposed to be the prelude to a whole set of Spectrum remasters and expanded editions?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

A vinyl copy of this album just popped up on ebay for $70 Buy-It-Now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123