Spacemen book finally sees the light of day, honest

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Ruddster

Spacemen book finally sees the light of day, honest

Post by Ruddster »

Well folks believe it or not I've just gotten off the phone with the publishers ( I work in the industry), the book has gone to print and will be available to buy second week of November. http://www.hmv.co.uk still have it available for pre-order, according to the publishers it may be in short supply initially, so I'd pre-order it.
Selfless man slipped by my side....
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Really? it sounds good and I hope its the case, but I still have to remain a bit sceptical, until Amazon finally email me to say they've dispatched the order...
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

uh-huh :roll:
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

HMV = Cheering crowds they screw my mind.
AcepHale, Inc.
Known user

Post by AcepHale, Inc. »

hello again,
I just spoke to my editor at Music Sales last week and he confirmed the book should be published sometime next month--most of the delays had to do with correcting/adding lots of new material to the galleys which caused the book to be pushed back several months--the final corrections have been made and DREAMWEAPON is now being sent into production--
once again, last count I had it was app. 300 pages with about 32 pictures/graphics (most never before published)--

thanks
eric

RE: DREAMWEAPON BIO

hello,

In response to queries for the upcoming DREAMWEAPON release, the final proofs for
the book have been submitted to the publisher, Omnibus Press, although a definitive
release date has yet to be confirmed--admittedly, there have been endless delays, caused in
part by over-ambition, extensive interviews with various scenesters, editing, scheduling,
sloth--for all these hold-ups I do apologize--

about the book: DREAMWEAPON resulted from a six week expedition I undertook in
the summer of 2002 to locate and interview the Spacemen 3 demimonde--I had the great
pleasure of Sonic’s company on many, many occasions--he was incredibly
accommodating, as was Will Carruthers, Pete Bain, Rosco, Natty, Mark and Jonny,
Gerald Palmer, Pat Fish et. al--I spent less time with Jason (we did meet at several shows
in NYC and he seems a very nice fellar although he hesitated contributing much)...upon my return to the States, I had nearly 100 hrs of audio tape which I set about decoding over the ensuing two years...to capture a secret history...of Vox
drones, heroin, and Transparent Radiation...from their earliest Iggy jams in Jason’s
bedroom to the stoned grandeur of ‘Hypnotized’ and ‘Honey’...to Recurring’s day-glo
death mask...

in addition to the ‘narrative’, I made an effort to highlight Sonic and Jason’s contribution
to the 80s underground and the lack of recognition thereof (in the retro sixties craze,
MBV noiseniks, big shades&druggycool) and their respective influence as infant terrible
and arranger extraordinaire of 90s ‘post rock’ (on all the reverbed drone-age of Seefeel,
Fennesz, Stereolab, Drag City/Mille Plauteau/Domino stuff)

unsurprising, then, that DREAMWEAPON ballooned from its original length of 180 pages
(whatever is listed on amazon.com) to around 350 pages and then truncated slightly and
reformatted to around 300 pages--If you have any other questions about the book, please
drop a line on the message board--otherwise, I’ll try to post again when I find out more
info on its release--hopefully in the coming month--btw, I’m a devout follower of the
board inasmuch as I’m too glass-jawed to actually join in the festivities--the posts are
always informative...esp to Mark and the two Ians...

Thanks again for your interest,
eric
Ian

Post by Ian »

Eric - please tell us that they aren't really going to saddle a book like this with *that* cover, after all your hard work!

Love,

Ian