Spacemen 3 Glass 12" re issues

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

sonic124
Known user

Spacemen 3 Glass 12" re issues

Post by sonic124 »

Just seen on heyday mail order that the first 3 Spacemen 12" are up for re-issue
http://www.heyday-mo.com/catalog/

They have Fire Cat numbers so I am guessing they will be as badly done as the LP re-issues frm last year Shame. I know Pete has nothing to do with this as well. Also under the impression that Fire do not have the masters for these recordings.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Spacemen 3 Glass 12" re issues

Post by spzretent »

What is the point of these releases? Especially at these prices. Is there really a demand?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Definitely too expensive. I won't be buying these. I have to admit that regardless of the quality of the pressing, I enjoy the LP reissue of Sound of Confusion, mainly because I never owned a copy on cd or vinyl before.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:Definitely too expensive. I won't be buying these. I have to admit that regardless of the quality of the pressing, I enjoy the LP reissue of Sound of Confusion, mainly because I never owned a copy on cd or vinyl before.
I have a copy of the SOC reissue which has more surface nosie than any other LP in my collection, some of which are 30-odd years old. My other half bought me the other Fire reissues and the recent TDTMMTTDT bootleg for $60 odd all up on eBay as an Xmas present. I'm dreading/really looking forward to listening to these, depending on the quality of the pressing. FWIW I will not buy the 12 inch reissues until I hear reports on the pressing quality, and not having the masters suggests they will be poor.

On the other hand the quality of the repressing of Yanqui UXO by Godspeed! You Black Emperor is stunning. Why can't the SP3 reissues be that good???
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't know why your copy of SOC would be any different than mine, but I don't recall hearing any abnormal surface noise. I will have to put it on again and check it again.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

naked greed, I presume ...is their a demand ? if I wanted them that bad I`d rather track down an original than have to spend good money on these releases or buy the Translucent Flashback album some where , how much can they squeeze out of a pretty slim catalogue
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'm pretty sure this one is gonna backfire. Look for them at Fopp(is that still open)?
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

My Fire SoC is pretty good too; definitely one of the better reissues. TPP is the one that's absolute garbage. :evil:
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I really wish the missing SP3 master tapes would resurface. There are so many shit reissues and it would be nice to be able to hear a really decent pressing without having to play my Glass vinyl.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:I don't know why your copy of SOC would be any different than mine, but I don't recall hearing any abnormal surface noise. I will have to put it on again and check it again.
I got another copy for Xmas, along with TDTMMTTDT, PP and Performance. I've yet to listen to SOC, but when I do I'll report back. The copy I bought a couple of months ago is seriously fucked, (my turntable is top notch, but deals with old/damaged records very well) sounds like it was last cleaned with a brillo pad. This is one of me top 5 LPs of all time so I hope this copy is OK.....(fingers crossed).
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

spzretent wrote:What is the point of these releases? Especially at these prices. Is there really a demand?
These really are pointless releases and IMHO money grabbing at it's worst :x

What effect do other board members think this will have on the value of the original issues?
'Remember, change is not good'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I think there will be no affect on the value of the originals.
Look at the original Glass LPs. Those are still just as valuable if not more.