Sweet Heart Sweet Light

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

synthiA
Known user

Sweet Heart Sweet Light

Post by synthiA »

The new record comes out on March 19th, yet the details are absent from this website (the prescriptions page refers to info on the Domino website). Just wondering if anyone has heard any of the recordings. Seems like they managed to keep this one from leaking early.
Is there going to be an ep/single/7" before hand? Or are those days over? Artwork for the new record? Anybody know?
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Re: Sweet Heart Sweet Light

Post by Kurious Oranj »

that's still about 2 months away

albums dont usually leak that early
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Every time I see their new title I think of the Byrds 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo' LP.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

Kurious Oranj wrote:that's still about 2 months away

albums dont usually leak that early
Spiritualized records do. And it's probably the only time I take the trouble to download instead of waiting for a release.
From memory,
Ladies and Gentlemen came out in late May/Early June (there was a delay because of the Elvis lyrics). I had a copy of it at Easter, which would have been early April(and that was on mailed DAT, b4 the days of internet downloading).
Let it Come down was released in September, yet I remember going to a 4th of July bbq and playing it then.
Amazing Grace.... I think that was a really long wait for the actual release. I think I had it in May or June and it didn't come out till September.
A&E. I had it at least month before and at that point the artwork, soul on fire 7", and format release was in the press and around.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm hoping that it doesn't leak and I can get the physical version in my hand rather than a potentially iffy rip for my first listen.

Surely, the artwork has got to be nearly done by now. Can't wait to see what it's like.

As for a single, I doubt there will be one, but that's just as well.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

No single? I don't think J will get much airplay at this point, but I would think it would still be worth his while to sell some limited edition vinyl.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

John Mulvey at Uncut has heard it, so it is out there in some form:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercur ... st-of-2012
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

mc wrote:John Mulvey at Uncut has heard it, so it is out there in some form:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercur ... st-of-2012
oh cool.. i like the comment about new tindersticks too
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

From Andy Cappers (of Vice mag) twitter...
Attachments
lq5ff.jpg
lq5ff.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 13807 times
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

I suppose for anyone on this board, this was kind of inevitable: http://www.spin.com/articles/how-spirit ... -reviewers

I guess we have a couple of weeks longer to wait before it sees the (sweet) light of day.

Still, a couple of weeks is better than a couple of months, I suppose. Hopefully it doesn't turn into the latter with all of that "tinkering" :wink:.

Also, it will be quite interesting to eventually hear the difference between the promo version and the final version...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This is really bizarre, in my opinion. I'm shocked that he had no qualms with sending out unfinished copies of the album.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Do reviewers really need 4 months living with an album before they can review it these days?

I'm sure it used to be the case that I'd hear a new release on the radio, read reviews etc the week before it was available in the shops.

I actually like this, potentially 2 versions of the album...... possibly, J's idea of a change is quite probably undetectable to most people's ears...

Post by bunnyben »

shouldn't there be a comma?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

that is really quite funny. Need to hear the press copy now though!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Sim wrote: J's idea of a change is quite probably undetectable to most people's ears...
Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head there. From what he said in that 6 music interview he was just raising small sections of drums by 0.1 of a db. Probably the same with guitars and vocals. I doubt anyone with normal hearing could hear the difference.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

its either a case that he really needs to just let it go and be finished with it, or that his perfectionism is admirable.

I'm reminded of the Julian Cope quote about Jason spending months and in the studio, and then freaking out and starting all over again. Lets hope that doesn't happen!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

hmm rather weird. I guess a couple more weeks to wait isn't the end of the world.

would be interesting to compare both versions, just to see how different they are, and exactly what Jason's idea of tinkering is
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

"Tinkering?" he says irritably. "Is that what you think I'm doing? Tinkering?" No no no no. Silly question. Poor choice of words.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Clever on J's part, but I do think that sometimes he over-tinkers to the point of sucking some of the life out of things. Both Pure Phase and Ladies & Gents to me sound a little too fussy and overcooked. But then again, I'm one of the relative few who thinks Amazing Grace is one of his best albums.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

jadams501 wrote: But then again, I'm one of the relative few who thinks Amazing Grace is one of his best albums.
yep, count yourself amongst the the very few with that opinion!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

clewsr wrote:
jadams501 wrote: But then again, I'm one of the relative few who thinks Amazing Grace is one of his best albums.
I wouldn't say Amazing Grace is one of J's best in terms of songwriting (though Richie Lee and Rated X are really great) but in terms of capturing the band's sound (circa that time period) in the studio. Pure Phase and Ladies & Gents were too manicured to capture the band's raw power, Let It Come Down was a little bloated (as much as I love that album too), and Songs in A&E sounded a little too generically indie. In terms of making the most of the material, I'd say Lazer Guided Melodies is his best, followed by Amazing Grace. Which album has his greatest songs in terms of composition is a separate question.

That said, I hope that we have a new champion in about 2 months...
toomilk
Known user

SHSL Delayed.........

Post by toomilk »

Not a big surprise, but the release of Sweet Heart Sweet Light has been delayed until "late March or early April."

According to Spin, reviewers have already received copies of the album although it isn't finished. I smell collectors' items!!!

http://www.spin.com/articles/how-spirit ... -reviewers
sm-iom
Known user

Re: SHSL Delayed.........

Post by sm-iom »

Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

wasnt the album already slated for "late march" in the first place?

kind of an overdramatic thread title
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

19th, no?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

clewsr wrote:
i think it's in the top 3- last being lgm. that album seems to be over over crafted so it is lifless which is more apparent when you hear the songs live
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm surprised that no reviews have popped up, since obviously a number of journalists have had the album for awhile now.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

jadams501 wrote:
clewsr wrote:
I wouldn't say Amazing Grace is one of J's best in terms of songwriting (though Richie Lee and Rated X are really great) but in terms of capturing the band's sound (circa that time period) in the studio. Pure Phase and Ladies & Gents were too manicured to capture the band's raw power, Let It Come Down was a little bloated (as much as I love that album too), and Songs in A&E sounded a little too generically indie. In terms of making the most of the material, I'd say Lazer Guided Melodies is his best, followed by Amazing Grace. Which album has his greatest songs in terms of composition is a separate question.

That said, I hope that we have a new champion in about 2 months...
I agree with you 100%!
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jadams501 wrote: Songs in A&E sounded a little too generically indie...
Can't agree with you there - since when has "generically indie" sounded like that? If anything, A&E just finally makes good on the promise J has mentioned in the run up to the last few albums; that he was going to strip away all the sonic artifice and jettison the 'Spiritualized effects'.

The choral backing vocals, bells, chimes, viola, accordions and broken music box (close mic'd to sound like breathing)...well, it's not exactly Noah & The Fucking Whale is it?

The truth is, Songs in A&E is as richly layered and beautifully crafted as any other Spiritualized record.

Anyway... Sweet Heart, Sweet Light. While I hope it's not delayed too much, it occurs to me that this might be a sort of genius move by Spaceman to beat the pre-release internet "leak" thing, especially if the final version will be essentially a different mix. I also think that for Spiritualized addicts (like me) there may well be a noticable difference. I like his line

"...with the reviews, sometimes it's like they've got a different album anyway"

Reminds me of when Primal Scream released their last album, there was a version doing the rounds pre-release apparently done by Andrew Innes which featured a bunch of repeated 20 second loops of each track. Hilariously, I think some reviews of that album were obviously based on this. At least one person on here was going on about how bad the album was until it was pointed out that they were listening to the looped version too... :wink:
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

there's another (very small) interview with Jason about the new album in this weeks NME. read it in the shop like i did :)
BzaInSpace wrote:Reminds me of when Primal Scream released their last album, there was a version doing the rounds pre-release apparently done by Andrew Innes which featured a bunch of repeated 20 second loops of each track. Hilariously, I think some reviews of that album were obviously based on this. At least one person on here was going on about how bad the album was until it was pointed out that they were listening to the looped version too... :wink:
haha that's hilarious.

A&E, generic indie it is not.
but it's certainly more conventional sounding than a lot of the bands stuff. it pisses on Amazing Grace though.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

angelsighs wrote:A&E, generic indie it is not.
but it's certainly more conventional sounding than a lot of the bands stuff. it pisses on Amazing Grace though.
A&E is certainly not generic indie. it's a weird album since it's so nicely produced but still has jarring elements in the choice of instruments previously mentioned. it works nicely i think and has a strangely warm and organic feel despite it's very 'clinical' title. to me, AG feels much colder and drier, even though it was basically recorded live and has a lot of energy in the songs. obviously it's a deliberate approach to recording, but to be honest i much prefer some of the AG bootlegs/gigs to the album.
in terms of the new album, based on the interviews, gigs, songs, title etc i think it's gonna be a really 'warm' record (with 'icy' moments). i'll be an optimist and say that a lush, warm production style will probably make sense of tracks like 'hey little girl' and 'freedom'. it'll be really interesting to see what he does with the more out-there stuff though. hopefully it wont be too reigned-in!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a warm production style would also be what i would like to hear on the new material. i am so used to hearing them with the particular ambience of the live recordings, i hope the record isnt too dry and cold like you say.
rediffusion
New user

Post by rediffusion »

huh? a new album?
can't wait ;)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

theres a review of SHSL in the latest issue of Word magazine
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

well whats the verdict/word AS?

any 'deets' from the review?? won't be anywhere where word is sold today or tomorrow... & is it the 'old' SHSL they've reviewed? prob is...
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

dunno mate, got the info from this thread on their website:

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/s ... 0#comments

i'm pretty sure its the old version they will be reviewing, consider they are first out of the starting blocks with their review.

also be aware that the review is by Simon Price, chum and biographer of runcibles fave band the Manic Street Preachers.. :)

I'm surprised more reviews haven't been printed yet. Uncut say they are reviewing it next month with the description that its 'reminiscent of the Velvets in its more driving material, and Richard Ashcrofts solo stuff in the more reflective material'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote:'reminiscent of ... Richard Ashcrofts solo stuff in the more reflective material'
Aw no...
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BzaInSpace wrote:
angelsighs wrote:'reminiscent of ... Richard Ashcrofts solo stuff in the more reflective material'
Aw no...
:) haha thought that might get a comment. might just be a lazy comparison by them (lazy journalism.. surely not??)

look at it this way- we know all the songs already. you know if you like them or not.
its just the production we've got to worry about.
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

I'm not really sure I see/hear the VU reference. Is that just the press being super lazy (Did they just watch the interview from December where the interviewer remarked how sweetheart-sweet light sounded liked a VU ref )?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Fair or not, I will not read or take into account a review by somebody with that close a relationship with the Manic Street Preachers.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

synthiA wrote:I'm not really sure I see/hear the VU reference. Is that just the press being super lazy (Did they just watch the interview from December where the interviewer remarked how sweetheart-sweet light sounded liked a VU ref )?
sweet jane on the radio
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

yeah, I get that !!!
But mentioning a VU song in your lyrics and being "reminiscent of the Velvets in its more driving material" are two different things, agreed? No, I haven't heard the recordings but the VU's driving material... that would be white light, white heat (which is where, I assume, we get sweet heart, sweet light). So my question is, where is the sound of Lady Godiva's Operation, Sister Ray, and WLWH? The impression I get is that this record is a departure from that fuzzed out chaotic sound in favor of something upfront and clean (paraphrasing Jason's words here).

Conclusion:
This reviewer didn't actually listen to SHSL (or WLWH)
OR
The review actually has the new mix of the record where Jason decided to just master it through a fuzzbox.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the VU also did 'driving material' that sounded a bit cleaner- Rock and Roll, Sweet Jane, There She Goes Again..

I'd say the first part of Hey Jane is rather Velvets-esque.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote: might just be a lazy comparison by them (lazy journalism.. surely not??)
Haha. In saying that I used to like Simon Price's writing - it could often be a tad OTT but that's OK, I always got the impression that he meant it, man. So I'd be interested in what he had to say. Wouldn't have thought Spiritualized was really his thing though... is he still waiting for the second coming of Romo? :wink:

I remember reading an interview with him regarding the final years at Melody Maker (and why he left) He was essentially being told not to criticize the likes of Oasis and other really shit britpop bands, presumably for commercial reasons - any contrary opinion was being edited or cut out. So fair play I guess.

Terrible hair though....
O P 8
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

synthiA wrote:yeah, I get that !!!
But mentioning a VU song in your lyrics and being "reminiscent of the Velvets in its more driving material" are two different things, agreed? No, I haven't heard the recordings but the VU's driving material... that would be white light, white heat (which is where, I assume, we get sweet heart, sweet light). So my question is, where is the sound of Lady Godiva's Operation, Sister Ray, and WLWH? The impression I get is that this record is a departure from that fuzzed out chaotic sound in favor of something upfront and clean (paraphrasing Jason's words here).

Conclusion:
This reviewer didn't actually listen to SHSL (or WLWH)
OR
The review actually has the new mix of the record where Jason decided to just master it through a fuzzbox.
i know :wink: i was being facetious. maybe there are similarities to albums like vu (lost album) or loaded but it sounds like spz to me, then again we've not heard the masters
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i think these songs, Hey Jane especially, are the most VU sounding/influenced songs he's done since TPP. it definitely does have a Loaded feel.
agree w/Angelsighs about the first part of Hey Jane. & initially i did get confused w/Sweet Jane. hopefully there's a bit of Rock n Roll Animal Sweet Jane on SHSL.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah it does have a Loaded feel, that was their 'pop album' too
like that album, SHSL mixes up driving rock with delicate ballads and a little gospel
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:SHSL mixes up driving rock with delicate ballads and a little gospel
...making it potentially thier most 'complete' album?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:
angelsighs wrote:SHSL mixes up driving rock with delicate ballads and a little gospel
...making it potentially thier most 'complete' album?
possibly.. arguably..
it needs a bit more freejazz in there too maybe :)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I hope that the small section of free-jazz, psychedelic noise in the middle of "Hey Jane" is all that there is of that on the new album. I was thinking about this yesterday and I can probably count on one hand how many times I have listened to the studio version of "Cop Shoot Cop" all the way through. It's just too jarring to last for such a lengthy period of time. I feel pretty much the same way about "Electric Phase", despite it's considerably shorter length.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I agree. To me the whole "free jazz" thing is by far the least interesting element of the Spiritualized sound. Cop Shoot Cop is marred by the indulgent noise in the middle. 30 seconds or a minute would have been effective, but it becomes tiresome.

I have been purposefully avoiding listening to any of the new songs until the album is out, but reading that the free jazz is at a minimum has me more excited for it!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

okay I finally found a shop that stocked Word mag, had a flick through

it's a generally positive review (Word reviews are just text, no ratings)

bits that I can remember

-it's Jasons ode to redemption through music

-the words are, depending on your viewpoint, effectively using well worn lyrical tropes, or laziness

-the album is definitely 'of a piece', and the production is warm and like it was 'dipped in honey'

-the only time it gets noisy is in Heading For The Top and the outro of I Am What I Am

oh... and I love the freejazz and think its an essential element of the Spz soup.. Cop Shoot Cop is awesome!
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

TheWarmth wrote:I hope that the small section of free-jazz, psychedelic noise in the middle of "Hey Jane" is all that there is of that on the new album. I was thinking about this yesterday and I can probably count on one hand how many times I have listened to the studio version of "Cop Shoot Cop" all the way through. It's just too jarring to last for such a lengthy period of time. I feel pretty much the same way about "Electric Phase", despite it's considerably shorter length.
What?! Those are some of my very favourite moments! I love how they stand out a little compared to the uplifting gospel songs and more straightforward ballads and garage rockers! The middle part of Hey Jane actually had me quite excited when I first heard it.

LAGWAFIS must be a bit of a struggle then with The Individual AND No God, Only Religion on it as well?

Actually, I'm not really that surprised - there's plenty to love on these albums, so it only makes sense that people don't all gravitate to one aspect or another. Still, for me the freak-outs are a big part of of what defines Spiritualized, especially when there are horns involved.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

warmgun. wrote:What?! Those are some of my very favourite moments! I love how they stand out a little compared to the uplifting gospel songs and more straightforward ballads and garage rockers! The middle part of Hey Jane actually had me quite excited when I first heard it.

LAGWAFIS must be a bit of a struggle then with The Individual AND No God, Only Religion on it as well?

Actually, I'm not really that surprised - there's plenty to love on these albums, so it only makes sense that people don't all gravitate to one aspect or another. Still, for me the freak-outs are a big part of of what defines Spiritualized, especially when there are horns involved.
Although I dislike much of the so-called free jazz, I like it when they have a point, and both of those instrumentals from Ladies & Gents serve a purpose. The Individual illustrates the inevitable consequences of Home of The Brave, and No God Only Religion is distinct in and of itself. I also like Power and the Glory as well as the escalating freakout at the end of Shine a Light. But sometimes, as in Cop Shoot Cop, it goes on too long to the detriment of the song and other times it's just kinda unnecessary.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

warmgun. wrote:LAGWAFIS must be a bit of a struggle then with The Individual AND No God, Only Religion on it as well?
Indeed. I'm with Paul Warmth here - those bits don't wow me. I never liked the free form freakouts Spacemen 3 used to do live in the build up to Starship, and these are the least interesting sections of Spiritualized records too. I just find them without real direction. Noise is one thing but free form noise is, as you say, a struggle.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

one night several years ago, I was in a certain state and feeling fine. Never got Cop Shoot Cop until then. The freakout middle section transported my brain to another planet - - I heard subtleties and pathways that were buried in the song before that-- full on disorientation and loss of place in physical space - - definite out of body experience - - then the pushing and pulling of heavy river currents. It was immense. I get out of my mind in those freakouts 8)
I think I feel it coming on
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

purespace wrote:one night several years ago, I was in a certain state and feeling fine. Never got Cop Shoot Cop until then. The freakout middle section transported my brain to another planet - - I heard subtleties and pathways that were buried in the song before that-- full on disorientation and loss of place in physical space - - definite out of body experience - - then the pushing and pulling of heavy river currents. It was immense. I get out of my mind in those freakouts 8)
...and then the desert section completely obliterates :wink:
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

bunnyben wrote:
purespace wrote:one night several years ago, I was in a certain state and feeling fine. Never got Cop Shoot Cop until then. The freakout middle section transported my brain to another planet - - I heard subtleties and pathways that were buried in the song before that-- full on disorientation and loss of place in physical space - - definite out of body experience - - then the pushing and pulling of heavy river currents. It was immense. I get out of my mind in those freakouts 8)
...and then the desert section completely obliterates :wink:
right. it's all about the desert section. devastating!
to be honest i think that track makes much more sense live, since the noise sections are more visceral. i remember when they opened their sets with it (amazing grace tour?) and it was just perfect. also ending with it seemed to work just as well...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

For the record, I really like "No God, Only Religion". It's a super heavy psych-rock song with a nice, simple chord progression. It's quite different from the free-jazz tracks like "The Power & The Glory".
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

runcible wrote: I never liked the free form freakouts Spacemen 3 used to do live in the build up to Starship, and these are the least interesting sections of Spiritualized records too.
any bootlegs where i can hear this?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Kurious Oranj wrote:
runcible wrote: I never liked the free form freakouts Spacemen 3 used to do live in the build up to Starship, and these are the least interesting sections of Spiritualized records too.
any bootlegs where i can hear this?
You can hear it on the live EP 'Threebie 3' that was recorded at the same gig as Performance.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

jadams501 wrote:I agree. To me the whole "free jazz" thing is by far the least interesting element of the Spiritualized sound. Cop Shoot Cop is marred by the indulgent noise in the middle. 30 seconds or a minute would have been effective, but it becomes tiresome.

I have been purposefully avoiding listening to any of the new songs until the album is out, but reading that the free jazz is at a minimum has me more excited for it!
I have to say I used to struggle with the freeout at the end of Cop Shoot Cop until I read an interview with Jason about the freeout in CSC being about a trip across America in a tour bus seeing all these amazing things he'd never seen before. Reading into that further It's almost as if his eyes couldn't take it all in, hence the overwelming noise. Again its probably me putting meanings to things which aren't 100% true, (but listening to music is a very personal experience) but when I hear it now it has that joy and wild eyed abandonment of someone experiencing something they've never felt or seen before. That's obviously at odds with the songs sombre mood in the first section and that there's some dark vocal howls as it descends into that section of noise but hey, Its all personal innit.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

do you have a link to the interview? sounds interesting
synthiA
Known user

Post by synthiA »

Always interesting that some of the biggest fans have such varying opinions on these things. When properly placed, I really like the noise/free jazz bits. Cop Shoot Cop remains in my favorite 3 SPZ tracks. It pulls you in, shoots you away, and lands you gently down in the desert.

In general, I thought the noise bits at the LAG shows were the best executed in the band's history. Even electricity floored me. It was noisy, but it sounded like each person, or group of people, took a certain frequency range and stuck to it... and the venue could handle it.

I still think comparing SHSL to WLWH is lazy and while I can see the comparison to Loaded, Loaded was hardly driving.