Hey Jane / Album Art (Pitchfork)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

Re: Hey Jane / Album Art (Pitchfork)

Post by toomilk »

If you're worried about Jason "stealing" riffs from other songs, then Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 are clearly not the band for you.

Fuck off.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Lets be honest here...the cover art sucks. But, perhaps the joke is ultimately all on us. Here we are in the Spiritualized forum scratching our heads and saying..."huh?" Thing is...I never thought of Spiritualized as a jokester, which makes it all the more puzzling.

I have less of an issue with the riff. Most art raids the vaults, borrows and steals ideas. The trick is to take it further and make it your own.

One question though....who the fuck are Silverbullit? Never heard of them before.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

somakoma wrote: Mr Kember was quite sexy when he performed it on TV - I´d do him..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEeRFkBaa7g
nicely done! thanks for posting that clip too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote:What, do you really think those two songs sound the same? Cause they don't... :roll:
toomilk wrote:If you're worried about Jason "stealing" riffs from other songs, then Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 are clearly not the band for you.

Fuck off.
Must be awful crowded up there in Jasons arse. :roll:

I have no problem with him nicking stuff but i was just disappointed that i.m.o his best song in years isn't 100% completely original. I will get over it though. :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

well this guy is not a fan - http://www.bangstyle.com/2012/02/spirit ... cover-art/

but then it does seem to be a blog about haircuts :roll:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

hair dressers know
gonna burn brightly
for a while
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

he does have a point about album covers
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

shalloboi wrote:
somakoma wrote: Mr Kember was quite sexy when he performed it on TV - I´d do him..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEeRFkBaa7g
nicely done! thanks for posting that clip too.
Agreed, thanks for that. I still think Evie Sands' Anyway that you want me is the best version. Been listening to a great u tube mix of her all morning.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I haven't listened to either song, so can't weigh in about any similarity, but creative borrowing from others has always been at the core of the Spacemen's work. Sound of Confusion may be my favorite Spacemen 3 album and lord knows every song on it is either credited as a cover or should be.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

never judge a book......or an LP etc etc :)
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

clewsr wrote:well this guy is not a fan - http://www.bangstyle.com/2012/02/spirit ... cover-art/

but then it does seem to be a blog about haircuts :roll:
"Jason Spaceman is one of those perpetual weirdos. For one, the songwriter adopted the name of his last band, Spaceman 3, after they broke up. Stranger still is the fact that Spaceman 3 did not end happily and having a reminder of such an awful experience would seem detrimental. Did you go out and get your significant other’s name inked on your chest after you broke up? Probably not."

research, research, research... :roll:

and the irony in the word moronic, priceless, huh? indeed
Last edited by bunnyben on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the poor guy who wrote that blog is going to get a million messages all saying the same thing. 'spaceman 3'- awesome.
clewsr wrote:I still think Evie Sands' Anyway that you want me is the best version. Been listening to a great u tube mix of her all morning.
yeah, i'd agree with that too. the troggs version is kind of useless and, sadly, the one that most people initially think the spiritualized version is based on.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Album news and cover in the Prescriptions section . . .
I think I feel it coming on
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Still no details behind the artwork! There's got to be a story behind it. Also, does anyone else think it's odd that there is, again, mention of a "procedure" that left J. housebound, with no further information? I know it's not any of our business, but it's probably better not to mention it at all than to be so vague. Seems like it only serves to fuel speculation.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Yeah I don't see the point in mentioning it really. It's his health and a private matter.

I don't have any interest in the story behind the artwork really, it's that awful. It should come in a brown paper bag like a mag from the top shelf.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

TheWarmth wrote: mention of a "procedure" that left J. housebound, with no further information? I know it's not any of our business, but it's probably better not to mention it at all than to be so vague. Seems like it only serves to fuel speculation.
he had the idea for the cover and then fainted with shock of how wonderful it is :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

After having issues with the Domino Records cart initially, now pleased to have the immortal 'Hey Jane' vinyl on order so look forward to blasting both sides out very soon, in the tradition of other holy classic 7s like Ray Charles 'What'd I Say'.

With that one I like the second bit of that record the best though, and with 'Hey Jane' I like the first - despite it's distinct unsimilarity to that tune that was linked here earlier.

Haters keep on hatin'...
O P 8
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

BzaInSpace wrote:With that one I like the second bit of that record the best though, and with 'Hey Jane' I like the first - despite it's distinct unsimilarity to that tune that was linked here earlier.

Haters keep on hatin'...
If you think the 'slide part' on the first live link is 'distinctly unsimilar/dissimilar' to the slide part in Hey Jane ya need your ears checked...whether it's intentional or not is another argument...

Nuthin' to do with hatin', the similarity is striking...

Also pre-ordered the 7" and looking forward to it as well...
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Broc wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:With that one I like the second bit of that record the best though, and with 'Hey Jane' I like the first - despite it's distinct unsimilarity to that tune that was linked here earlier.

Haters keep on hatin'...
If you think the 'slide part' on the first live link is 'distinctly unsimilar/dissimilar' to the slide part in Hey Jane ya need your ears checked...whether it's intentional or not is another argument...

Does the fact that both sound a lot like the slide on i think i'm in love not seem important?
i thought it was more a case of jason ripping off his own work than someone else's. Especially given that they (being big spacemen 3 fans) are sure to have heard that track. Much more likely that him to have heard theirs, i'd have thought. Actually quite a few of the new songs seem to deliberately reference certain other tracks in his back-catalog (esp LAGWAFIS, which obviously was very much on his mind at the time of writing). Remember at RAH when they started playing too late and everybody started cheering because the intro was so similar to ladies & gents' title track? And yes, i realise the irony of citing that as an example of his own work, haha...
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

moop wrote:
Broc wrote:

Haters keep on hatin'...

Does the fact that both sound a lot like the slide on i think i'm in love not seem important?
i thought it was more a case of jason ripping off his own work than someone else's. Especially given that they (being big spacemen 3 fans) are sure to have heard that track. Much more likely that him to have heard theirs, i'd have thought. Actually quite a few of the new songs seem to deliberately reference certain other tracks in his back-catalog (esp LAGWAFIS, which obviously was very much on his mind at the time of writing). Remember at RAH when they started playing too late and everybody started cheering because the intro was so similar to ladies & gents' title track? And yes, i realise the irony of citing that as an example of his own work, haha...
I see your point but from the limited number of times I've heard Hey Jane I'd say 'the slide part' has more in common with the Silverbuilt song than ITIIL. You may very well be right regarding the new stuff but I can't really answer that question as I've avoided all the new tracks so far. That's what I try to do before I get the record in my hands. I've only heard the Other Voices gig. Hey Jane was my favourite from that show. Anyway everyone has their opinion and nobody is gonna chage someone else's mind at this stage I suppose.

Looking forward to the new 7" and the new LP.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think its a coincidence myself, but not that bothered even if it's not.

the album art is still awful. I don't think any album art should need 'explaining'.. it should evoke a similar atmosphere and feel to the record, and sum it up. I love great album art and think is should be part of the whole package.. this one is just nothing. we've all heard the songs and I can't see how it relates to any of them.

and yeah, it's weird that this illness that made Jason housebound is not expanded on.. why mention it? guess it makes for a good story and a 'hook' to hang the album around. "housebound genius tinkers away on album in isolation"..

I am very much looking foward to the album and how the type of production we here on Hey Jane is going to treat all the other tunes.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

the new leonard cohen album art work- not great, the content of the album- sublime. 'nuff said :wink:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:the new leonard cohen album art work- not great, the content of the album- sublime. 'nuff said :wink:
maybe so.. but wouldn't it be even better if it had nice art work?
actually Leonards album art is usually pretty naff.. the only good one is New Skin for the Old Ceremony!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:
bunnyben wrote:the new leonard cohen album art work- not great, the content of the album- sublime. 'nuff said :wink:
maybe so.. but wouldn't it be even better if it had nice art work?
actually Leonards album art is usually pretty naff.. the only good one is New Skin for the Old Ceremony!
songs from a room has the best front and back in my opinion

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/broom.jpg

http://image.lyricspond.com/image/l/art ... -cover.jpg

so nice that i have the vinyl just for the cover. as long as the cover has the name 'leonard cohen' on it i'm delariously happy. how many of your favorite records actually have a nice cover art? and with the exception of ladies and gents which had the whole pill concept i think spz have crap covers. if one was buying a cd purely on covers how many would go 'o pure phase i like that cover or amazing grace? wow it's an arm possibly injecting how thrilling' i really don't think it matters either way
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

i actually picked up 'pure phase' when it was released because i thought the cover was great... first time i ever heard something from sp* :D
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Spiritualized have had some great covers, but I reckon this link shows they have gotten weaker since the early days
http://www.spiritualized.com/admissions ... 3673c30a4f

bottom 4 rows, all good, top 2 rows, meh. I liked the embossed design of Let it come down, but the rest of the move artwork is not for me. I think songs in A+E was an improvement on Amazing Grace (which is the worst for me, and always irritates me when I look at it!), but when I finally got round to buying the limited edition CD for A+E I wished I hadn't - 20 pages of pictures of the surgical tools was a bit much.

I'm warming to 'Huh?' I think it is actually a sublimal joke, - 'Huh?' being everyone's first reaction to seeing the cover. A bit like an self depreciating version of this tshirt http://www.thisnext.com/item/50E10C36/Subliminal-Tee
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Not really feeling this track. Repetitive, not in a good way, too long and I'm finding it boring. Maybe it'll grow on me? Hope so!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I think Lazer Guided Melodies has the best cover art by a country mile. I'm not planning on getting any tattoos but if I did one of those figures would be a top choice. I also like the Amazing Grace art a lot -- interesting that the arm has no track marks given the themes of the album, and it also seems to allude to the Sistine Chapel depiction of the creation of man.

I also like FUI and Pure Phase. Ladies & Gents and Let It Come Down were decent, too. It's just been the last few records that the art choices have become baffling.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote: how many of your favorite records actually have a nice cover art? and with the exception of ladies and gents which had the whole pill concept i think spz have crap covers. if one was buying a cd purely on covers how many would go 'o pure phase i like that cover or amazing grace? wow it's an arm possibly injecting how thrilling' i really don't think it matters either way
got to disagree here. like i've said before, I think that good cover art is part of the whole aesthetic of the album and can really sum it up and be the icing on the cake. it shows an attention to detail.. if a band has put a lot of thought into the artwork it usually means a lot of thought has gone into the music too.
I can't stand lazy artwork, or some lame picture of the band standing around trying to be cool. you can also tell a good compilation by the level of artwork. horrible font and lame, bleached out pic of the artist = lame cash-in by record company

good sleeve art has not only attracted me to an album before when browsing ("ooh cool whats that..") but also if i'm trying to get into a new artist, and all else being equal (i.e. i've heard good things about all their albums) i'll go with whichever one has the best sleeve.

I think Spz have good form in this area. I actually find some of the Lazer Guided Melodies era stuff among the least compelling artwork, although is still good obviously.

Pure Phase is stylish and reminds me of the sleeve you would get on an electronic album. don't like the font though. prefer crisper, more minimal font of later stuff

Amazing Grace is really good.. a nice striking, simple image. the arm also has many meanings.. as said above, there's the trackmarks thing, then religion (both sistine chapel and Jesus on the cross), then the love side of things as in an arm to hold you or "lets forget that life had even started/the day our hands had met".. it sums up all Jasons themes.

A&E maybe a bit too simplistic, and kind of a rerun of Ladies and gents.

SHSL... big let down.

opinions of Spacemen 3 cover art anyone? not overly keen on most of them.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I like all of the Spacemen 3 artwork. Recurring is horrendously ugly but strangely appropriate.

Sadly, the Taang reissues most easily found in the U.S. botched some of the artwork.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jadams501 wrote:I like all of the Spacemen 3 artwork. Recurring is horrendously ugly but strangely appropriate.
I LOVE that sleeve. I think it sums the repetitive vibe ther Spacemen were famous for as well as being a neat pun on the album title.

And I bought a Natty 'Sweet Tooth' print which sits proudly in a frame in my house. Fantastic.
Attachments
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG (31.28 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ok.
This is Jason's music. This is Jason's artwork. You may not like it but he is one of the few artists who really cares about the artwork. He always has. Look at some of the packaging he has come up with. You may not think LGM is that great but as a whole package. Different color inner sleeves, its beautiful. There are more than a few who have the Angel/Devil tattooed somewhere on their body.
Ditto Pure Phase. How about the glow in the dark CD?
Fucked Up Inside? Now there is another gorgeous cover with the embossed pedals.
LAG set the bar pretty high with the incredible attention to detail pharmacuetical theme and inserts. Even the promo items kept that theme going.
LICD had the 3-D CD art.
Amazing Grace LP Box.
A&E green vinyl which was funded by the band yet people bitched and moaned about the rarity of it. Maybe they repressed more to fill demand. Maybe not. I'm sure it wasn't done as some conspiracy to fuck over the fans.
Which brings me full circle.
SHSL. Huh? I trust there is a reason behind it. I'll leave it up to the person/band whom we all respect and is the reason we troll these pages.
Where do you think the added cost for this packaging comes from? Not the labels.
Rant over.
Oh yeah.....this is strictly my opinion.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

i like the artwork.

it speaks to me.

it has grown on me. @ 1st i was like, hmmm... hope it's not the real thing. now i'm used to it, it's ok & more.

& it is a valid question.

lol@the chemist explanation. the scamp even tricked me into reading the wiki page about cyclooctane!!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I want to see the rest of the packaging before I make a final judgment on the SWSL artwork. There's obviously going to be more to it (inner sleeves, colored vinyl, additional photos/images). Plus, I'm still curious if there is any meaning behind the front cover. For now, just picture a 2xLP set with one transluscent green LP and one translucent blue LP sitting next to the cover. Now is it starting to look cooler? For me it is, but we'll see it when we see it.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tied up
Known user

Post by tied up »

The Hey Jane cover looks like one of the projections from the Edinburgh gig in October, there was a variety of different patterns, I'm sure that was one of them. Perhaps the inner sleeves will keep that theme running.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Sweet HeART

Post by BzaInSpace »

bunnyben wrote: and with the exception of ladies and gents which had the whole pill concept i think spz have crap covers...
Comedy!
The artwork and sleeve design has always been a cut above the "glut of endless CDs" and stuff like the glow-in-the-dark case for Pure Phase and the optical effect on Let It Come Down are just perfect and despite being almost simple (if unique) concepts they represent the music within so well. The lateral thinking and attention to detail elevate these albums into a domain beyond the dreaded jewel-case and become artifacts in their own right, amazing packaging to match the music inside. Plus I love the lists of guitar names and that...

Sweet Heart Sweet Light: I really want to see the whole package as I didn't think the A&E cover was as inspiring as some of the others (essentially a green cross and text) but the actual book package with the pictures inside really made it for me.
The 'Hey Jane' cover looks fantastic - a 12" version would be perfect!
As I was saying to someone else here, I listen to music on the go a lot on my phone and I know that design will look cool and instantly recognisable scrolling past with all the other classics on the 'mobile jukebox'. Pop Art Pop Magic.

I think it's somewhat shortsighted and childish to condemn the artwork without actually seeing the whole thing, no? Surely the question mark is like some of the signed posters and stuff. Recurring motif?

Talking of Recurring - timely mention for Spacemen 3 art. As I was also saying to yet someone else merely days ago (!) that The Perfect Prescription is my idea of a really bad cover. Those pullovers! Those earnest expressions... I remember looking at the CD back in 1997 and wondering whether I should buy that or one of the bootleg live albums as the cover was so... weird. And not good weird. Glad I did and all (despite as mentioned elsewhere the CD issue boasting an entire lack of dynamics and poor mastering) and that cover has somehow grown on me but still... Jesus!
O P 8
somakoma
Known user

Post by somakoma »

LGM, FUI and PP looked beatiful..

since then?.. nah
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Lets turn this on its head.
What would you come up with for album artwork?
And remember, money is most definitely a concern. The more elaborate the packaging the more money comes out of your pocket.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

LGM cover strikes me as kind of dated

im with runcible i love the recurring art (both versions)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kurious Oranj wrote:LGM cover strikes me as kind of dated
)
Its 23 years old. And quite frankly I disagree. What exactly is outdated about it?
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

it just looks.. goofy to me

very much of its time
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Wow! Really?
I will relate a story I have before on this message board before.
I called Dedicated Records office in Notting Hill Gate when I was over for a buying/trading trip. Told them I owned a shop in Detroit and we were HUGE Spriritualized fans. They told me to come and hooked me up with 5 fly(5ft by 3 ft) posters and a whole roll of the smaller lite blue posters. Absolutely gorgeous posters. One which is framed in my house and the fly poster sits in a tube until I hit the lottery and can afford a house big enough to frame that one too.
What struck me when walking in to Dedicated's office were the Angel & Devil sculptures used for the LGM cover. The base on each was a 5 inch-ish black wooden block and the figures were approximately 12 to 15 inches tall.
These are two pieces of music history i'd love to get my hands on.
It is because I love that record so dearly.
Behind Exile On Main St this record has had the biggest impact on me.
Anyone know the wherabouts of these sculptures?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote: Plus, I'm still curious if there is any meaning behind the front cover.
Jesus fucking Christ!!!! What does it matter? It's an album cover, it doesn't have to mean anything. :roll: At times i think a lot of people around here really need to get laid and perhaps get out a bit more.

As for the album artwork over the years, i've found it less interesting since Pure Phase. I'm not talking packaging, just the actual artwork itself. L&G, LICD, AG, A&E all have pretty dull artwork imo.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:
TheWarmth wrote: Plus, I'm still curious if there is any meaning behind the front cover.
Jesus fucking Christ!!!! What does it matter? It's an album cover, it doesn't have to mean anything. :roll: At times i think a lot of people around here really need to get laid and perhaps get out a bit more.

As for the album artwork over the years, i've found it less interesting since Pure Phase. I'm not talking packaging, just the actual artwork itself. L&G, LICD, AG, A&E all have pretty dull artwork imo.
Woah - who rattled your cage dude?! People are always going to ask about album cover origins and why not? Have you never scratched your head about Led Zep 4?

Chill out - Paul's point is valid. I am also wondering about the cover. Does that mean I too need to get laid?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I definitely need to get laid and I haven't asked about the cover.
Where does that leave me? :cry:

Must be awful crowded up there in Jasons arse.

Jesus fucking Christ!!!! What does it matter? It's an album cover, it doesn't have to mean anything. At times i think a lot of people around here really need to get laid and perhaps get out a bit more.
Sunray

Nice that we have someone who posts here who's finger is so firmly on the pulse of the message board members.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:I definitely need to get laid and I haven't asked about the cover.
Where does that leave me? :cry:
:lol:
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

spzretent wrote:Wow! Really?
I will relate a story I have before on this message board before.
I called Dedicated Records office in Notting Hill Gate when I was over for a buying/trading trip. Told them I owned a shop in Detroit and we were HUGE Spriritualized fans. They told me to come and hooked me up with 5 fly(5ft by 3 ft) posters and a whole roll of the smaller lite blue posters. Absolutely gorgeous posters. One which is framed in my house and the fly poster sits in a tube until I hit the lottery and can afford a house big enough to frame that one too.
What struck me when walking in to Dedicated's office were the Angel & Devil sculptures used for the LGM cover. The base on each was a 5 inch-ish black wooden block and the figures were approximately 12 to 15 inches tall.
These are two pieces of music history i'd love to get my hands on.
It is because I love that record so dearly.
Behind Exile On Main St this record has had the biggest impact on me.
Anyone know the wherabouts of these sculptures?
Wow, that's incredible. I love my framed version of the record but I'm jealous of your posters!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
sunray wrote:

Woah - who rattled your cage dude?! People are always going to ask about album cover origins and why not? Have you never scratched your head about Led Zep 4?

Chill out - Paul's point is valid. I am also wondering about the cover. Does that mean I too need to get laid?
spzretent wrote:
Must be awful crowded up there in Jasons arse.

Jesus fucking Christ!!!! What does it matter? It's an album cover, it doesn't have to mean anything. At times i think a lot of people around here really need to get laid and perhaps get out a bit more.
Sunray

Nice that we have someone who posts here who's finger is so firmly on the pulse of the message board members.
Aye, i perhaps could've worded things less strongly :oops: A couple of well placed smilies in there would've changed the whole mood of it. It's just that recently there have been some posts that wound me up with their sycophancy and fanboyism and it boiled over. Unfortunately it was theWarmth who bore the brunt even though he is blameless.

I still don't think it matters though about any possible meaning to the artwork; Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

heh, heh, heh! this made me laugh :wink:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I have to say the new cover is really growing on me. Be great to see the rest of the artwork used in the campaign.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Kurious Oranj wrote:LGM cover strikes me as kind of dated
I agree. you're not alone. it doesn't really do much for me.

I'm still not liking the SHSL art at all. like i said before, if the album art needs 'explaining' then it's not a good sign
bunnyben
Known user

Re: Sweet HeART

Post by bunnyben »

BzaInSpace wrote:
bunnyben wrote: and with the exception of ladies and gents which had the whole pill concept i think spz have crap covers...
Comedy!
The artwork and sleeve design has always been a cut above the "glut of endless CDs" and stuff like the glow-in-the-dark case for Pure Phase and the optical effect on Let It Come Down are just perfect and despite being almost simple (if unique) concepts they represent the music within so well. The lateral thinking and attention to detail elevate these albums into a domain beyond the dreaded jewel-case and become artifacts in their own right, amazing packaging to match the music inside. Plus I love the lists of guitar names and that...
!
o sorry, i assumed everyone was judging shsl on the 2d picture that has been put on some websites- not the finished physical product- i haven't seen that yet- it may have a built in helicopter :wink:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

spzretent wrote: Nice that we have someone who posts here who's finger is so firmly on the pulse of the message board members.
o lack of, so it seems :wink:
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

the cover sux, it has no beauty or soul, too sterile and generic
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
somakoma
Known user

Post by somakoma »

burningwheel wrote:the cover sux, it has no beauty or soul, too sterile and generic
that´s probably because your thoughts are dated! ..you remember things before post-post-modernism.. (might be post-post-postmodernism?)

It´s just horrible 20th-century-centered bullcrap.. doesn´t count anymore... we are robot. we are generic.

kill all hippies.. punks too.. and ffs lobotomise all shoegazers!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Is the artwork by Farrow, do we know?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

what are the lyrics? these are what i found online

*deleted thanks to below post*

are they right?
Last edited by bunnyben on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Not quite....
Hey Jane, where you’re going today?
You took a car and you ran all day
That clock going 110, I never said I’ll get you back again
So you ain’t got time to make no mistakes
Ain’t got time to waste my breaks

You lit a fire then you fanned the flame
They say you got a troubled soul
I say you got it on a roll
So you ain’t got time to change your ways
Ain’t got time to make no mistakes, with you
Show 'em what you can do

Got a love for you anyway
I guess I’m tired of hanging round
I’ll meet you there when you coming down
And you got no style and a little taste
Carve your name right into my face

You broke my heart then you ran away
Some say you got a rotten soul
But I say Janey loves rock and roll
So you ain’t got time, a long time dead
Ain’t got time to mess my head with you
Show them what you can do

Hey Jane where you’re going today?
You living fast lane right away
Got no breaks for your rotten life
A heart like yours never satisfied
Said you ain’t got time, it's such a waste
Running so fast you get no place
Hey Jane, where you going today?
I’ll get a car for you right away
That cop going 110,
Fast lane Jane say fast lane faster
Ain’t got time to make no mistakes
Ain’t got time to waste, with you

Hey Jane, where you going today [repeat into NOISE]

and the second part is....

Hey Jane when you gonna die,
live life like a butterfly
I feel safe baby by your side
treat death like another ride (?)
hey jane when you gonna die,
got wings like a butterfly
Leave death baby all alone (?)
Sweet Jane on the radio
hey jane when you gonna die
that pain goes right inside
hey jane got a rotten soul,
hey jane you got it on a roll,
hey jane where you going today,
sweet heart and fade away,
hey jane when you gonna die? x4

nananananananananananananananannanaaaaa

and then, Sweet Heart, Sweet Light, Sweet Heart, Love of my Life
somakoma
Known user

Post by somakoma »

so.. if Jane is Jasons Jungian unconscious anima...

..then perhaps go for a really "dated" cover following in the footsteps of stones, bowie etc and just dress up?
or are Rugby boys not macho enough to wear a dress?

I have listened to him longer than half my life.. fucker owes me a little crossdressing the way I see it.
It´s only rock´n´roll.. don´t have to wear it every day like its inventor (little richard)
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

I think the album cover is the same shape as a Subutex pill.

I think the 'Huh?' might refer to the idea that Subutex can stop opiate addiction and withdrawal.

I think Hey Jane is bringing me much joy.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:my Life
thank you :D they didn't seem right
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

still think its far too short...
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

somakoma wrote:
or are Rugby boys not macho enough to wear a dress?
Perhaps you should try the Wheeltappers down Railway Terrace :wink:
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I broke my vow of waiting until album release and listened to Hey Jane. I'll be honest, the song itself compositionally didn't really grab me. I'm hopeful that, as with a number of other Spz songs, it grows on me over time. What did impress me was the production. I've said many times that I thought Songs In A&E missed the mark and had a generic indie sound, and I think that this song retains the organic warmth of A&E while bringing in some real psychedelia and a pronounced Brian Wilson influence. I can hear what J was going for in that interview where he said he wanted the album to exist "outside of time."

I don't feel compelled to give Hey Jane another listen right now, but I am feeling good about the sonic direction of the album as a whole.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

somakoma wrote:so.. if Jane is Jasons Jungian unconscious anima...
I was wondering if that was the case myself. If so then he opens the record with a love song for himself and ends the record with a love song for his daughter in Poppy-So Long, which she apparently wrote the first lines to. In the record it seems he is sort of coming to terms with his mortality and ultimately coming to a peace about it in turning his focus from worrying about his own life to caring for the life of his child on the last track, "So long you pretty thing, God save your little soul..."

People may think he isn't serious about his lyrics, but I like to think he is even if he never talks about them.