Los Angeles - The Wiltern - Tue May 22

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Hofstadter
Known user

Los Angeles - The Wiltern - Tue May 22

Post by Hofstadter »

Anybody else? (I think toomilk mentioned he'd be there)
toomilk
Known user

Re: Los Angeles - The Wiltern - Tue May 22

Post by toomilk »

Oh yeah, I'll be there. If I can remember correctly, you aren't 21. I know a lot of people coming and I'm trying to organize a pre-show meet up. I'll try to make it an all ages place.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Where is the san diego meet up?
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

dselevan2 wrote:Where is the san diego meet up?
OMG, you aren't dead.

Pizza Port. It's right next to the Solana Beach train station.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Belly up!!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Camped out right infront of where spaceman will stand
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Since The Wiltern is in Korea Town, I think we should all meet up at a Korean BBQ place. I've heard the Honey Pig is good. http://www.yelp.com/biz/honey-pig-los-angeles

So if you're interested, I'll be there before the show. It serves alcohol for you boozies and is all ages for you yunggins. Let me know if you want to join me and a few others for dinner there.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Sorry I missed you, it was so cool going to Solana Beach to see Spiritualized.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

What time? Not so into Korean food, I'm vegan, and don't drink, but would like to try to meet up for a coke
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Does anyone know if the wiltern has lazers?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

7 I believe for meet up. The bjm show at the wiltern a week or two ago was extremely light on lights (what a terrible joke, I apologize), but I've been to shows there with some cool stuff. So pretty much: I have no idea, sorry :)
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Hey, see you all there tonight.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

We've decided he should invest some of that lazer money into couches.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Just... whoa...

I was blown away - I would describe the feeling of my first Spiritualized show as 'stepping into the breeze,' to make a bad reference. It was truly a great experience.

First of all, it was a blast getting to meet some of you and your friends mr. toomilk for dinner. Sorry we got separated for the actual show. Once inside, I got right up front and center in the very lowest area, just a few rows back, perfect view and everything. I must say I was pretty giddy with excitement once the curtains started to rise on that opening jam. And then... calamity struck. I lit up a joint as Hey Jane was starting and halfway through it... an usher singles me, grabs me, and takes me to the main office. You can't imagine what was running through my mind at the point. I'd been waiting SO long to see this show, and I was sososo excited. The thought of being thrown out - it would have have been heartbreaking. I just tried to stay calm and serious, and after talking to the stern heads of the venue and expressing how much I wanted to see this show... they said I go!

This all took about 6 or 7 minutes, but it felt like an eternity. Walking back in though just as the second half of Hey Jane was peaking... it is difficult to express how happy I was at that moment. In some ways, this ordeal made the show even more enjoyable, since it made me appreciate the opportunity to see Spiritualized that I had almost thrown away so much more. More thoughts on this little incident later.

As for the music... song after song blew me. The way Heading for the Top Now opened with that awesome bass groove that continued throughout the song - that was knockin' my socks off. I don't know if it was just my imagination, but I almost heard parts of Electricity creeping in, and it was pretty rad. And then in Walkin' With Jesus - that long central part was just down and dirty. If only the crowd could have stopped yellin' and whooping during that part - more on the crowd stuff later as well. One of the coolest things of the whole show was when I noticed the on the sides of the building the enormous shadow of one the singers dancing along sultrily to Walkin' with Jesus, the shadow the height of the building swaying back and forth - it was mesmerizing. The Sound of Confusion indeed. Oh Baby was grand and soaring, And then LAG - didn't know it was coming, really hit me in the gut. Stay With Me was like melting away. To describe the experience of Electric Mainline as being hit by a wall of sound would be wrong - it felt more akin to being wrapped up in a warm blanket of sound. Cop Shoot Cop - getting to see the full 20 minute jam was UNBELIEVABLE! Really every song though was so rocking and so awesome.

Sorry I know I'm not expressing this in the most elegant language possible, but I was just so happy and carried away by the music, it was hard to formulate thoughts on all of it. I would describe the overall feeling of the night as just being taken away by the band, entering the world of their music for a few hours and just escaping - like I said, steppin' into the breeze.

Now, back to that little incident I had at the beginning and the crowd. So once I got back in, I sort of had to go to the side of the stage since the pit area was packed by then. I ended up behind these two pretty overweight doods and their girlfriends who were also fairly overweight. They were all really drunk. The girls wouldn't shut up the whole show, and the guys were stumbling around - after every song, and during the songs, one of the guys would scream out either "spacedog" or "basedgod" - extremely loudly - it was the worst when he did it in the middle of songs. Their girlfriends would yell out things like "I love you isis" trying to get their friends who were also at the show's attention.

It was pretty frustrating - that sort of thing can ruin the experience for me sometimes. They are making the show about themselves instead of the band. I managed to tune it out though and try to get a way a little bit. But yeah my point is - I was a little annoyed that I nearly got thrown out for just wanting to smoke a joint, but these four people, who were clearly disrupting other people's experiences were never accosted by the ushers. I guess maybe I was possibly bothering other people's experience also, but I don't know it would just be for a minute. And also, lots of people throughout the night where smoking right in front of that same usher, and he didn't do anything! I've also been to plenty of other shows at the Wiltern where people were smoking or I was and there was no problem! The crowd as a whole did lots of woohoo-ing and such, which I don't mind at all between songs, but it does annoy me a bit when people do that during songs, especially when a sort of chain starts. Just got to tune it out!

So yeah, I'm curious: Is it wrong of me to be annoyed with the four drunk people in front of me, but then smoke myself as I had at the start of the show? Does it bother you when people around you smoke a joint? Was it inappropriate of me to do that? I could certainly have an incredible experience without doing that, so do you think it was stupid to potentially have thrown away that opportunity? Just curious what you all think about this sort of thing.

Fortunately, I still got to experience essentially the entire show, and I still had an awesome time.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I don't think they mind people smoking pot, but it was getting really smokey in there, and there is an outdoor smoking are that would have been more appropriate. I have really bad allergies and found it hard to breethe at times.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hofstadter wrote: And then in Walkin' With Jesus - that long central part was just down and dirty.
They played that? I thought the set lists were Spacemen free (see what I did there?)...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm glad you had a good night and didn't get chucked out! Its certainly not wrong of you to be annoyed by drunk people, if you were smoking in front of me, I'd bit a bit jealous. But everyone has their own dislikes - Spzretent doesn't like people smoking for example and Runcible if I remember rightly has real problems with other peoples body odour which I guess must make gigs and festivals really hard work!

Generally if you do anything out of the ordinary in life someone is going to be annoyed by it / think you are an idiot. The problem with smoking a joint in a place is that it smells so obvious and it is unfortunately against the rules, so you can't be too cross at being picked out.

Drunk people can be annoying; there was a ridiculous guy at the Manchester show jumping about all over the place, I think he really ruined a few people's nights. But at least he was into it. Its the sea of camera phones all over the place that really pisses me off!
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I'm glad the stool is gone. Maybe spaceman just needed a tiger patch on his pants. My only question is why they traded their light show in for a screen saver. Are the lazers ever coming back?
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Gig was great. Cop Shoot Cop was outstanding. Good times.
Last edited by Multi on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Yeah I think I was just a little ticked off because so many other people were smokin' up (like multi) and I was the only one who got singled out - like I said though, just made getting back in that much sweeter.
runcible wrote:
Hofstadter wrote: And then in Walkin' With Jesus - that long central part was just down and dirty.
They played that? I thought the set lists were Spacemen free (see what I did there?)...
Yes, and it was fucking awesome, if you excuse my French.
(Also, looks like they played it at belly-up too!)
dselevan2 wrote:a tiger patch on his pants.
I won't lie, I spent a lot of the show gazing into a tiger's eyes... on jason's butt.
zaydon
Known user

Post by zaydon »

Did they go on at 9pm?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

9 15 or so I believe - they finished up at 11 30.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

clewsr wrote: Runcible if I remember rightly has real problems with other peoples body odour which I guess must make gigs and festivals really hard work!
I said that since the smoking ban came in you notice people who don't wash and it's gross (I may not smoke but cigarette fumes perform a useful job at masking other nasty smells). You also notice the farters at gigs, of which there are many.

I've been to enough gigs (and festivals) in my time to cope with people's general wear and tear, but plain lack of hygiene is inexcusable. As is farting into the people standing behind you. So if you support those tendencies I'm not on your side!
rhine
New user

Post by rhine »

first time here also first time seeing Spiritualized last night.
I always had great experience in Wiltern and the show really blew me away (overheard two people talking after the show.. one of them was asking the other "How'd you like the show? Orgasmic?" I was standing there thinking, wow, dude, exactly!)

anyway posting here mainly because I got something to say regarding the bad experience that really annoyed the hell out of me last night. There's an old man (? at least pretty old for me) keep yelling and clapping and shouting inappropriately during the song; all I can remember now is "I"M FEELING IT I"M FEELING IT" if any of you heard him
runcible wrote: I've been to enough gigs (and festivals) in my time to cope with people's general wear and tear, but plain lack of hygiene is inexcusable. As is farting into the people standing behind you. So if you support those tendencies I'm not on your side!
the farting part made me laugh so hard... lol
ok try to make even, I was standing in the first row and you know how high the wiltern's stage is (and I'm short) so while guys next to me put their arms on the stage I could smell their armpit.......nightmare. please at least put on some perfume!! (which might not get it better anyway)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

The show was fine. I kind of wish they had changed up the set list a little bit from the San Diego show, it seemed like exactly the same thing. It would have been nice if they through in Lay Back in the Sun, Good Times, or anything off Lazer Guided to make 75% of the fans happy. The light show and projections weren't as good as they have been in the past. Cop Shoot Cop, Come Together, Soul on Fire sounded great to me. Mary, Headin for the Top, or Hey Jane sounded fine, I don't really see anything special about the way those songs were performed, and I hope they play some older stuff instead next time. Obviously there are folks out there that loved the set, so I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. I think the band/management takes opinions expressed on the message board pretty seriously, so thought I'd express how I honestly felt.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Totally valid opinion - I agree I would have loved to hear some of LGM, but that doesn't change the fact that I still loved it so much ha! I think regardless of what the music was like, I would have had an awesome time no matter what just 'cause I was so excited. Good thing I thought the music rocked as well :) .

Oh, and here's the setlist/some photos over at stereogum.
http://stereogum.com/1041262/spirituali ... 2/concert/
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. We were so excited, we even went to the belly up hours early to try to hear sound check. Being that excited does make for an awesome time, especially with good friends.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

runcible wrote:
clewsr wrote: Runcible if I remember rightly has real problems with other peoples body odour which I guess must make gigs and festivals really hard work!
I said that since the smoking ban came in you notice people who don't wash and it's gross (I may not smoke but cigarette fumes perform a useful job at masking other nasty smells). You also notice the farters at gigs, of which there are many.

I've been to enough gigs (and festivals) in my time to cope with people's general wear and tear, but plain lack of hygiene is inexcusable. As is farting into the people standing behind you. So if you support those tendencies I'm not on your side!
Well I can't reply and defend people's obnoxious odours can I?? I'll certainly agree that cigarette smoke provided a handy cover to the smells arising from lots of people at a gig or night club.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

While people's lack of hygiene can be sickening, one does have the option to move elsewhere.
Cigarette smoke cant be avoided and you wind up going home and everything stinks. hair, clothes, eyes burning.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I am glad cigarette smoke has been banned from places. For those non-smokers it really is a blessing. I have to say though that you REALLY notice those who do smoke as when they come into a public place they reek of it.

Personally, I do not mind if people are smoking pot at a concert. It's is obviously far fewer than who used to smoke cigs at shows and the smell isn't offensive. Other than at a Grateful Dead show the most I have seen being smoked at a concert was at The Black Crowes in Portland 2009 and again when Chris Robinson Brotherhood came through last Dec in Portland. There was soooo much that it actually reminded me of a Dead show. In fact, the organist for CRB came on stage with a massive doobie, which kinda signaled to those in the audience who were smokers to liberally do so. The smoke was certainly very thick that night.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

redcloud wrote:I am glad cigarette smoke has been banned from places. For those non-smokers it really is a blessing. I have to say though that you REALLY notice those who do smoke as when they come into a public place they reek of it.

Personally, I do not mind if people are smoking pot at a concert. It's is obviously far fewer than who used to smoke cigs at shows and the smell isn't offensive. Other than at a Grateful Dead show the most I have seen being smoked at a concert was at The Black Crowes in Portland 2009 and again when Chris Robinson Brotherhood came through last Dec in Portland. There was soooo much that it actually reminded me of a Dead show. In fact, the organist for CRB came on stage with a massive doobie, which kinda signaled to those in the audience who were smokers to liberally do so. The smoke was certainly very thick that night.
I can completely see why no smokers are pleased about the bans, its only in recent years when I've smoked less and not in the house have I noticed how much is does stink on clothes. I'd be annoyed to not be a smoker, but to still come back reeking of fags. But I've always thought of pubs and clubs as places to drink and smoke. Pubs somehow feel a bit sanitised and clean now without the smoking, and I do miss that thick smell when walking into a place.

That Black Crowes show sounds fun.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

What I miss is the smoke machines and lazers from pure phase tour. They made me forget I was in a smokey bar.
Allthesethings3
New user

Post by Allthesethings3 »

I had the privilege to bring 3 people to both the San Diego and LA shows that had never heard ?. Best quote from one of them was "is this rehab music?"
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I think the best quote I heard was, "he doesn't need that stool anymore because he has a patch on his pants" but it's pretty close to, "I wish he'd invest some of the lazer money into couches" and "I'm going to close the door now chaps."
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I was also at this show. Same setlist as the Belly Up (btw, the "adlibbed" line, which is Cheapster inserted at the end of Walking with Jesus was done at the LA gig too...), but didn't seem as spontaneous.

I got there early and met up with Sam (Hofstadter) and that was a lot of fun. Good Korean BBQ. At the last minute, I asked my friend if he wanted my extra ticket. He accepted, but was late. So we walked into a packed house at the end of Hey Jane. We tried to go up to the front, but were met by a mean staff pro worker telling us to get our "asses out of the front" because we didn't have a wristband. We eventually moved back to a less crowded spot in front of the sound board. Yes, the place where the sound the audience is hearing is mixed. The sound was perfect. We could hear everything and it was much louder than the San Diego show. Just beautiful.

My friend and I got a couple of those large, but overly expensive cups of beer and were having a great time. Someone even gave us a joint out in the open and we smoked out in the open. Sucks what happened to Mr. Sam. There were a few people there who were too drunk to stand still, but they don't bug you too much if you're drunk too. :D

Maybe it was just the weed, but we were standing it a perfect spot for the visuals. The stage was pumping out fake smoke throughout the show, so the room was pretty smokey. The visuals were coming from a projector directly behind and above us, so we could see the lines of the images as they were going up to the stage. Pretty fucking cool.

Fantastic show.