4th of July

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

4th of July

Post by spzretent »

What a difference a year makes!
The State of Michigan started allowing the sale of all fireworks this year. Not just the safe, wimpy kind.
Last night you would have thought this entire city was under attack. It was non stop explosions for 3 solid hours.
Never has it been like this. This, in the middle of a drought too.
What a colossal waste of money
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Re: 4th of July

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:What a difference a year makes!
The State of Michigan started allowing the sale of all fireworks this year. Not just the safe, wimpy kind.
Last night you would have thought this entire city was under attack. It was non stop explosions for 3 solid hours.
Never has it been like this. This, in the middle of a drought too.
What a colossal waste of money
Oregon has a ban on certain fireworks while Washington (on the other side of the river) doesn't. What do people do? They drive over the bridge and buy their illegal fireworks in Washington. There is a fine if you are caught but it doesn't stop people from doing it.

Our tradition is to have a BBQ, go watch the fireworks and then come back and light some sparklers in our yard. Other than sparklers I never grew up shooting off my own fireworks. My dad always used to say "I'll leave it to the professionals". So, I never grew up with a desire to buy loads of cherry bombs, roman candles or bottle rockets. Now, as the dad I say the same thing to my kids. But, to be fair, they never ask to buy anything other than sparklers anyway.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Trust me, light a firecracker, go to throw it, have it blow up in your hand right next to your ear it will cure you of ever wanting to light off any explosives.
Last night was just ridiculous. As always, it seems those who can afford it the least blow off the most.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:As always, it seems those who can afford it the least blow off the most.
Sadly that is not just true for firecrackers it is a universal truth.....
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

olan wrote:
spzretent wrote:As always, it seems those who can afford it the least blow off the most.
Sadly that is not just true for firecrackers it is a universal truth.....
This universal truth has profound implications for public policy, in depressing but sobering ways.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Right on cue here comes the 6 O'Clock News and stories of people getting seriously hurt lighting off fireworks. And quote "someone is going to compensate me". This particular loser, who is missing several teeth( from dental neglicence NOT fireworks), yet found the $180 to buy fireworks.
Its all about priorities these days.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/news ... index.html

After watching this this guy is so clearly trying to cover his tracks so he can sue. No way a fuse burns that quickly. No way.
Good thing he is right handed. at least he doesn't have to learn to smoke with his opposite hand.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Because they were legal to buy, I thought they were safe. Come to find out, kaboom, it was done.”

No one else was hurt.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My man has become the poster child for all that is wrong around here. Was the State of Michigan really losing THAT much to Indiana in sales tax that repealing a fireworks law is worth this a hole blowing his fingers off? Now he wants his pound of flesh in compensation? Of course he followed the directions to the t. Of course. Its all so confusing. Light match, light fuse, run. Dont try to be the cool guy and hold the tube/cylinder.
Nice to see he is getting extended use of his free hospital gown.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:My man has become the poster child for all that is wrong around here.
He also sounds like a poster child for what happens when you cut funding to schools!