Spacemen3 / Sun Araw split 7" ?

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

stegraham
Known user

Spacemen3 / Sun Araw split 7" ?

Post by stegraham »

I spotted this on the Spectrum Facebook site:

Anyone know anything more about it? What Sp3 track?

Ste
sunray
Known user

Re: Spacemen3 / Sun Araw split 7" ?

Post by sunray »

It's been released by The Great Pop Supplement sometime soon. Judging by previous GPS releases featuring Spacemen 3 I would imagine it'll be something off "How The Blues....".
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:It's been released by The Great Pop Supplement sometime soon. Judging by previous GPS releases featuring Spacemen 3 I would imagine it'll be something off "How The Blues....".
:shock: Blimey - an uncalled for kick in the balls for TGPS? That label is almost unique in how it tries to give quality music in quality packaging and any profit is ploughed into the next project. If all music labels had that attitude muic retail would be a happier place.

Anyway, I am told it isn't from HTB... So there.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
sunray wrote:It's been released by The Great Pop Supplement sometime soon. Judging by previous GPS releases featuring Spacemen 3 I would imagine it'll be something off "How The Blues....".
:shock: Blimey - an uncalled for kick in the balls for TGPS? That label is almost unique in how it tries to give quality music in quality packaging and any profit is ploughed into the next project. If all music labels had that attitude muic retail would be a happier place.

Anyway, I am told it isn't from HTB... So there.
Woah there Runci! You completely misread the sentiment of my post. I wasn't having a dig at GPS at all, I think it's a great label. I just made the assumption that the Spacemen tune would be from HTB.. given previous GPS/Spacemen releases and imagining that there's nothing else left in the Spacemen vaults.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Nice cover artwork 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:Woah there Runci! You completely misread the sentiment of my post. I wasn't having a dig at GPS at all, I think it's a great label. I just made the assumption that the Spacemen tune would be from HTB.. given previous GPS/Spacemen releases and imagining that there's nothing else left in the Spacemen vaults.
Fair enough - your post seemed somehow dismissive. I'll always defend TGPS as it's done totally for the love of music...

I suspect it might be something that has appeared somewhere before but whatever it is it'll be worth it - I'm sure of that.
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

its off taking drugs isn't it?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

helterskelter wrote:its off taking drugs isn't it?
Think so...
domearworm
Known user

Post by domearworm »

hi all,

just read this now, in the past it's been me here at the label (GPS) who's posted the pic / promo blurb, so i owe mark a big thank you for doing honours this time round!

he'll know more than anyone on here how much of a spacemen nut i am, and if there was ever any chance of some killer outtake or demo appearing after all these years i'd be all over it like a rash nagging pete to release it!

a coupla years ago the spacemen / wooden shjips single was originally intended to kick off a series of 7s with pie in the sky ideas pairing the Spacemen w/ the likes of mgmt, panda bear, animal collective, flaming lips and co.- ie nice simple projects to pursue :)

looks like this on-off project could take off again, as tracks are ready from the likes of cloudland canyon, an unreleased panther burns track w/alex chilton and other ideas in the pipe, so fingers x'd that they come to fruition. meanwhile this single is ready in around a fortnight and will be on half clear/half red vinyl in an edition of 1000.

spacemen tune- as chosen by pete - is the vocal version to "that's just fine".

will write again when ready to order, cheers chaps.
dom / gps
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Fantastic pick for the single!

Something a bit different and one of the highlights from TDTMMTTDT. I'll have to give it another listen.

As much as I love Playing With Fire and Recurring, for me the REAL Spacemen 3 live in the time between For All The F-d Up Children to Dreamweapon.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Wicked artwork.

Never liked Pete's vocal on That's Just Fine, always thought it the right decision to cut it from the "official" release. Minus the vocal it's one of my favourite Spacemen 3 tracks. If someone were to ask me what they sounded like, that track would be my answer.

Then again, I really like Sun Araw, they're one of the most interesting acts I've heard in ages, and GPS's releases are always really nice.

But I'm beyond skint right now...

Ah, decisions decisions....
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

available on pre order now from Norman http://www.normanrecords.com/records/13 ... thats-just

is there anywhere that is better to buy from??
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I ordered it... I just realized this will be my first sp3 vinyl! :D :D :D Yay! Just very excited for this.
stodmeister
Known user

Post by stodmeister »

Picked up a copy at last night's show in Berlin :D
Take your time , back up a little bit.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Looks really cool - nice thick card sleeve too!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

stodmeister wrote:Picked up a copy at last night's show in Berlin :D
Not wanting to hijack the GPS thread - but how was the Berlin show and what did he play?
stodmeister
Known user

Post by stodmeister »

The show was hot , sweaty and very smokey.

I'm never good at remembering set lists and it was kinda all over in a blur for me.

Opened with The Lonesome Death of Johnny Ace for sure.

Also played Lord I Didn't Even Know My Name , When Tomorrow Hits , How You Satisfy Me , Revolution and Suicide
there were others but as I siad set lists is not my speciality.

It was a good show and I would certainly recommend Brighton or London or both :D
http://youtu.be/MWwxHQDukKY

http://youtu.be/3jwsjgU6TWQ
Take your time , back up a little bit.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

stodmeister wrote:The show was hot , sweaty and very smokey.

I'm never good at remembering set lists and it was kinda all over in a blur for me.

Opened with The Lonesome Death of Johnny Ace for sure.

Also played Lord I Didn't Even Know My Name , When Tomorrow Hits , How You Satisfy Me , Revolution and Suicide
there were others but as I siad set lists is not my speciality.

It was a good show and I would certainly recommend Brighton or London or both :D
http://youtu.be/MWwxHQDukKY

http://youtu.be/3jwsjgU6TWQ
Going to London - wouldn't miss it. Much merchandise?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Order from Norman records has shipped!!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Came in the mail today... for the past few hours, I just listened to it, flipping it back and forth. It was hypnotic... beautiful (both visually and aurally). My first piece of sp3 vinyl now that I think of it... it shall be cherished. Also finally found a copy of the Wire issue with the Sun Araw cover piece - it put to paper exactly why I love Sun Araw so much. Definitely worth reading (and for me, I've never really done this with a magazine article before.... but I have a desire to reread it...).