Best Beer in the World ?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Best Beer in the World ?

Post by spacemanrich »

Russian River's Pliny the Younger has been voted ' best beer in the world ' - bollocks !

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... -best-beer

They only release it once or so a year for a few weeks and it is not availble in all the pubs, just a select few who can get their hands on a keg. The pour is just 10-12 ounces for about $7.00 or so. OVER-RATED. Alchohol and hop overload, in fact a lot of the beer connesieurs (spelling?) think this is way overdone and I concur. In fact, they put so much hops into it, you really can't the beer profile i.e. - malt. Also, if your in the know how and know about the brewery, in fact they have to use 'hop extract' to produce this beer, because it is that hoppy. Everyone has their opinion, but some of these beers hit you over the head and I miss a good session ale, like some of the ones in the U.K. i.e. - Brakspeare's, Flowers.

Can't name my favourite brewery or beer, because their are so many of them, also what are you looking for ? Belgians, English Ales, etc. Their is one that comes to mind and that is just north of the border from Spzretent and that is Unibroue and they make the ' Maudite ' belgian style ale that is wonderful ...
Shaun
Known user

Re: Best Beer in the World ?

Post by Shaun »

That list seems slightly flawed without at least one Mikkeller beer on it. I fancy a trip over to Copenhagen later in the year. From that list I have about 10 of them (including #2) but I hardly drink anymore and they're just going to waste. Shame really.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Lists like this are pretty silly, really. It is purely subjective isn't it? Sure we have standards etc. but if one prefers ale or one prefers stout or one prefers lager the #1 will be different.

I prefer English style bitter over the heavier, more alcoholic Belgians. On a hot summer day, I actually prefer a cold German, Dutch or Danish lager. I also have specific favorite US Craft ales, of which Oregon is graced with many fine examples.

HOWEVER, for my money and for the best beer I personally have ever had the pleasure of drinking it would go to Southwold, England's own Adnams Brewery, and in particular, their Broadside Ale. I have been to the Swan Hotel in Southwold three times and every one of those evenings was spent enjoying many pints of Broadside. I've also had it in bottle and I've had it pulled from a cask outside of Southwold and neither have been as excellent as the pints I had at The Swan, which came straight off a horse drawn carriage straight from the Adnams brewery. Absolutely beautiful stuff. Any of you living in Suffolk are very lucky.

But, like spzretent said...as I am unlikely to have that again for quite some time I will enjoy local Portland brews such as Amnesia, Captured By Porches and Burnside (to name only a few but three of my current favorites).
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Don't knock it until you try it. The Plinies are delicious!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Pliny the Elder is bottled year round. I'm sure some exclusive bottle shops will carry it. The Younger is the elusive one. It's not bottled, so you have to find a place that has a special event for it in February of each year...and wait in a very long line.

Both are very good and smooth, but very strong. They will wreck you if you aren't careful.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

toomilk wrote:Don't knock it until you try it. The Plinies are delicious!
Definitely not knocking it. I would love to try it. I'll have a look for it next time I am at the pub or in the store.

(side note: Just got back from a good MLS match...Portland v Chicago. Very physical game. 5 yellow cards and a near punch up. Portland won 2-1, which means they just advanced over the Galaxy. :D ).
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I tired one of the Plinies at Dark Lord Day a few years ago and loved it. I'm sure it was the easier of the two to obtain, the Elder, but it definitely knocked my socks off.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Another thing about that list, ratebeer (the Pliny is #5 on there) is the same, and that is the beers voted for seem to be very American craft beer top heavy. Does that mean the beers over there are so utterly exceptional that everywhere else needs to catch up? Or does it tend to lean to the fact that the majority of users on these websites are predominantly American? And a couple of the Belgium beers included seems a bit dubious but not so surprising as they are so readily available almost everywhere, whereas like the Pliny, there's loads of amazing smaller breweries you wouldn't see unless you live there. And very odd about Mikkeller and few German beers. I've got a smoked German beer to try at some point. Spzretent, Mikkeller did a beer that bought together 18 different sorts of hops which I think would be right up your street.

Broadside!!' Well that seems available in almost every town/city I go to and to be honest I'd only drink it if I needed to know if my neck had a leak, but these days I feel the same about the majority of our real ales. They're very bland and very boring, to me anyway.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, like mentioned before "Pliney the Younger" released in February sometime in keg form, I don't think that you can get it bottles ? For pubs/bars that did get a hold of a keg, they charge like $7-8 bucks for a 10 ounce pouring and the queue were kinda long for it. It's just all hype, like I mentioned before it's way overbalanced w/ hops ( too much ) to really taste flavor profile. Might just as well swig a small bottle of hop extract ... :oops:
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

There is no doubt that US craft beers have stepped up the competition. They are unique, creative and FULL of flavor. Plus, considering that most start at 5% (but many are higher) they pack a serious punch.

Broadside, yep! When I was in Southwold I absolutely fell in love with it. That pint pulled from the wooden cask barrel, which was transported by horse straight from the brewery was absolutely delicious. 20oz of heaven in a glass.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shaun wrote:I feel the same about the majority of our real ales. They're very bland and very boring, to me anyway.
This is precisely where the US craft beer market fills a niche. Not nearly as sweet as many Belgians(at least the ones we get here). In the US they really push boundaries. US brewers aren't steeped in centuries old brewing traditions.
Honestly, its like they all said "we dont give a shit we are going to produce what we want". And they do. And is doesn't always work. But they take some crazy ass chances.
This brewery immediately springs to mind:
http://www.shortsbrewing.com/beer/
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote: This brewery immediately springs to mind:
http://www.shortsbrewing.com/beer/
I had the opportunity to try 3 different Shorts beers recently but as they were only regular ones I didn't bother. Autumn, Magician and Bellaire were available in London. My guess is they will still be there next month and I will be able to pick them up then.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Be careful with Shorts. Seriously, post here before buying because I am sure they dont come cheap in London. Some are unremarkable, some are disgusting, some are incredible.
Anniversary Ale
Huma Lupa Liscious
Kind Ale
Plum Rye Bock
Wizard
Are Shorts beers I would recommend. Huma Lupa is their flagship IPA.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

That's pretty crazy that Short's is getting all the way over to London. I can't even get it in Chicago.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Probably not the "best beer in the world" but I went here last night with some friends and had four very tasty pints from this local brewery:

http://www.breaksidebrews.com/

Definitely one of the better local brews in Portland.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Got this coming up this weekend and I am woefully out of shape re: drinking. I have cut way back on my beer consumption, which wasn't easy during this friggin' heatwave we had last week. I know there are several bottles of Westvleteren, Canadian Breakfast Stout, Founder's Devil Dancer, several diff Three Floyds I picked up and on and on.
Oy vey! I feel hungover already!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 421&type=3
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

If you do pick up any Westvleteren, and this really only applies to to 8 & 12 but not the blond, you should absolutely try and keep them close to 3 years before opening them as they do get way much better over time.

Brooklyn black chocolate stout right now.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shaun wrote: Brooklyn black chocolate stout right now.
I have an English friend who really prefers heavy, dark beers. The other night we were out and he was drinking a "Bourbon Barrel Ale". Essentially, ale stored for a couple months in decanted bourbon barrels straight from the distillery. Very, very strong flavor and at nearly 12% they only sold it in half pints. But, it was still strong enough that I probably could run my '72 VW bug on it for a week!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like barrel-aged beers a lot. A friend of mine who is a homebrewer bought a bourbon barrel and aged a porter in it. It turned out absolutely delicious. He was also able to siphon out about 2 liters of bourbon from the barrel before he filled it with his brew, so that was a plus. Cost was about $100 for the barrel.

Dogfish Head's Burton's Baton is out now and that's quite delicious. Look out for it.

Alan, I've never heard of that Firestone beer. What's the style? I like their double IPA a lot.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/products/parabola

We did a whole run of barrel aged stouts. KBS, CBS, Firestone, etc.
A bit rough in warm, humid weather to do a stout tasting but we attempted a 21 Stout Salute saturday night. I think we got through 15 or 16.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 421&type=3

Photos 25 thru 49 from this year.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

BrewDog/Three Floyds Bitch Please the other night. Utter shite.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Shaun wrote:BrewDog/Three Floyds Bitch Please the other night. Utter shite.
Disagree. I liked it a lot.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I have never enjoyed drinking barley wine style beers and I wasn't expecting to like it. Way too peaty and smokey for my taste buds. Out of curiosity, how much did you have to pay for it over there. From memory I think it came in around £6 or £7 over here.

Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA now. It's ok but nothing special.

p.s...... I've seen some Shorts Sustenance Black Beer available over here. Good or bad?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My guess is Brew Dog ruined it. That brewery is all bluster, punky attitude and promotional items. Gimmickry I guess you would call it. Three Floyds are amazing.
Just got back from a night in Cleveland. Had some goodies.
Buckeye Brewery Hippie IPA. Thumbs Up!
Green Flash- West Coast IPA. Thumbs Up!
Dark Horse- Crooked tree IPA. Couldn't resist for $3 a pint. Thumbs Up!
If anyone ever ventures into Cleveland try the Tremont Tap House. Great food and great beer selection.
http://www.tremonttaphouse.com/

Found a ridiculously amazing beer shop in Toledo about 50 minutes drive from here.
Marino's Beverage Depot in Sylvania.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18 ... keyeNation
I loaded up on 4 packs of Six Point's Resin, Bengali Tiger and Righteous Ale. I can see this being a quarterly trip.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Why did you buy the Bitch, Please if you don't like barleywines? I really did think it was fantastic. Alan, if you dig barleywines, give it a shot if you can find it. It's expensive, but worth a try.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I don't know if anyone mentioned this beer or not, but it is 'ace' !

Sierra Nevada's TORPEDO - double IPA ! The majors are keeping up with the smaller breweries that make higher alchohol/hoppier beers. Sierra Nevada will always be a pioneer in the microbrewery business w/ their lineup of beers. Have a couple of Torpedo IPA's and you'll sink like a U-boat.

Was skyping with my mate in Australia and I was suprised when he showed me a bottle of the Torpedo. It costs around $18.00 for a six-pack !
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spacemanrich wrote:I don't know if anyone mentioned this beer or not, but it is 'ace' !

Sierra Nevada's TORPEDO - double IPA ! The majors are keeping up with the smaller breweries that make higher alchohol/hoppier beers. Sierra Nevada will always be a pioneer in the microbrewery business w/ their lineup of beers. Have a couple of Torpedo IPA's and you'll sink like a U-boat.

Was skyping with my mate in Australia and I was suprised when he showed me a bottle of the Torpedo. It costs around $18.00 for a six-pack !
We sell that in our shop. Personally I found it too bitter and too hoppy but it's certainly a lot more interesting than most of Sierra Nevada's stuff. The idea was to build a large tube (or torpedo) in which they would cram fresh hops and then squeeze fresh beer through it so the tube acts like a giant tea bag so the beer is very intensely hoppy. Which it is, but a little too much for my liking.

It doesn't compare to anything I have tried from Odell's which is a fantastic range. Their Mycenray double IPA and Double Pilsner (both over 8%) are excellent. Some people compare Myrcenary to Hopslam and although I can see it there's something about Hopslam which makes me rate it a little higher. That's still the best of those IPAs I have ever tasted.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Why did you buy the Bitch, Please if you don't like barleywines?
Because of the Three Floyds involvement and you guys rave about them and that was my first opportunity to try anything by them. I was hoping they could help improve a style of beer most brewers over here fuck up.
I don't know if anyone mentioned this beer or not, but it is 'ace' !

How strange you should mention that beer. Tesco are selling that, along with other selected foreign beers, in a deal of 3 for £5:00 which is a really good deal and I very nearly grabbed half a dozen today.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote: We sell that in our shop. Personally I found it too bitter and too hoppy but it's certainly a lot more interesting than most of Sierra Nevada's stuff.
America has a love affair with super hoppy IPA's. I think the IPA itself is amongst the most popular beer here but the "super hoppy IPA's" have become very popular.
spzretent wrote:Not really a Torpedo fan. Nor a Sierra Nevada fan for that matter. They are as macro a craft beer as you can get. Akin to Sam Adams(whom I loathe). I'd rather drink a Pabst Blue Ribbon(PBR).
Agreed!

There is so much good beer here in Portland to choose from that Sam Adams actually isn't all that popular. You do see it but not often. That said, given a choice of east coast macro craft I'd take Yuengling over Sam Adams any day.

Sierra Nevada is, however, at most pubs here and is sold as a cheaper option to the craft ales. The cheapie beer of choice in Portland though is PBR and if I was going to drink cheap I too would take a pint of Pabst over Sierra Nevada.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

On the edge of Hell's Canyon in a dry, hot & dusty little town called "Imnaha" I walked into the old, original tavern that used to sell whiskey, tobacco and other more useful bits and bobs for the settlers in the old west days. Not too much choice here as the population is only 150 and there is wide open land for miles and miles. But, they did have PBR on draft. Pabst's will never be my beer of choice but I have to say that pint, in that tavern, in that town, in that corner of the world....tasted heavenly! :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No worries if your not a Sierra Nevada or Torpedo fan or not.

SN started the craft brewery looong time ago w/ dairy equipment and they are located in Chico, CA - as remote can be, population ( maybe 100,000 or so ). Here in the Bay Area everyone loves the Torpedo. Like I said, my mate in Oz had a bottle, rather he bought a ' slab ' aka - case for I think he said $84.00 aussie dollars for ! Didn't know that you could get it down there ! It's rather well balanced w/ high malt (alchohol along w/ a nice hop bitterness) to it. I think it's up there or close to the Celebration ale that is released during the holidays.

Shaun, 3 packs for 5 quid - you gotta be kidding me ? For a 6 pack here it is about $8.00 (american dollars) and I'm here in the Bay Area ! Pick it up, you won't be disappointed. I heard about how the U.K. markets are selling 'cheap' alchohol, thus driving the profits of pubs, etc. and not only that turning the nation into binge drinkers.

As for SN, they have their own brewery and Sam Adams is a contract brewery ( they have other breweries make the beer for them ).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote: SN started the craft brewery looong time ago w/ dairy equipment
They may have been one of the key players in the beer renaissance but I don't think they started it. It seems to me that everything just kind of came together at the right time for beer in America. People got fed up with the tasteless light shit and demanded more. Maybe international travel helped too because many of the key craft beers in those early days were based on English, Belgian and German ales (and still are). Once breweries in Oregon were allowed to open as pubs it opened the doors for the craft brewer and things really took off (before 1985 there was a prohibition on brew pubs in Oregon).

But, even before that, Henry Weinhard's were instrumental in kick starting craft beer in the Pacific Northwest. Henry's has since been bought out by a larger contract brewer but they were there at the beginning and deserve the recognition. As was Boulevard Brewery in Kansas City (I lived in KC when they first got going). Saranac too in upstate NY were key. And don't forget your own, Anchor Steam. They too played a big part in the early days. Not to mention the many other small brewers that cropped up around the country in the late 80's-90's.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Spzretent:

You mean "Budhook." Aneuhser Busch (spelling?) bought that long time ago ( over 15+ yrs. ). In early 90's you used to see that all the time along with Sam Adams, but it's rare to see it now ( not that I'm complainin' ).

Before Prohibition, the U.S. used to have over like 5,000 breweries and those that made it after Prohibition either had a difficult time or got gobbled up by other 'bigger breweries'. Henry Weinhard is just one of many in the Pacific Northwest ... certainly not the first, but maybe one that made it after Prohibition ...

Anchor Brewing Company (S.F.) almost went bankrupt until Fritz Maytag ( Maytag appliance heir ) bought it and made it profitable. But still ' steam beer ' back in the 70's was somewhat difficult for someone to drink, because the nation was weaned on ' piss beer ' made with adjuncts ( cheaper ingredients ), Budweiser with rice and Coors with corn.

Earlier post I meant to say that pubs are having a difficult time surviving due to competition and the lower cost of buying it at Tesco's and Sainsbury's. 3 packs for 5 quid ! You got to be kidding ! :shock:
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

3 packs for 5 quid - you gotta be kidding me ? For a 6 pack here it is about $8.00 (american dollars) and I'm here in the Bay Area ! Pick it up, you won't be disappointed.
That's 3 individual bottles for £5:00. So a six pack would be £10:00 or just over $7:00, I think.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shaun wrote:
That's 3 individual bottles for £5:00. So a six pack would be £10:00 or just over $7:00, I think.
There is nearly $1.60 to the GBP. So, 10 GBP is about $16. That would be a very expensive six pack!
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

GABF tickets went on sale this morning and sold out in a record 45 minutes. Wow. :shock:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

REALLY ! Sold out in 45 minutes !!!!!

If you beerheads never been, it's one of the beer festivals, at least the time that I went. The Portland one is very good too !

Well, in fact I was there in 95' and 96' and it was pretty hectic, I can't imagine it now. It must be toooo overwhelming w/ too punters, drunks, etc. I like a nice mellow, calm drinking environment, instead of elbowing, jostling, yelling and queuing for tasters. :oops:

It's the same w/ Oktoberfest in Munchen, I've never been but would like to attend that one at some time in my life ...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Jacksonville drafted a punter in the third round.....

:wink: :lol:
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

redcloud wrote:
Shaun wrote:
There is nearly $1.60 to the GBP. So, 10 GBP is about $16. That would be a very expensive six pack!
I've always been crap at working out currency rates, as that shows.

I went to Tesco yesterday to stock up on a few bottles of Torpedo and they had sold all but one bottle so someone obviously had a run on it. The last bottle was mixed in with SN Pale Ale so I bought it and tried it last night. I found out another American IPA (Dogfish Head 60 Minutes) to compare it to. The 60 Munutes was much superior and nicer so I was pleased there was only one bottle of Torpedo left.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dogfish Head 60 minute is great. The 90 minute is excellent too. The 120 minute is too much for me.
I opened a Hopslam that had been in my fridge for months last night. What treat. Nothing comes close. Not Pliny the Elder, Not Great Lakes- Lake Erie Monster(though it is very good). Not Sixpoint Resin. Nothing really. Its the honey.

I was thinking about this the other day. As soon as people learn to drink craft beer like wine the whole market will explode even bigger. I just think a lot of people look at beer as a session drink.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I've tried the 90 Minutes and from what I can remember it was a decent beer and hopefully I might still have one left. I know that some DH Double Crooked Tree IPA will be available to buy over here in a couple of weeks time, but not how much it will cost. I'm still going to try and buy some.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:Now this was a punter!
Ray Guy!

Back to beer.....I love Dogfish. One of the few things that comes out of the tiny state of Delaware to be really proud of! Actually, the Univ of Delaware football program is pretty good too.

Hey Shaun, do you ever see any Oregon beers over in Blighty? If so, I am assuming it will be Rogue or Deschutes and if that is the case they are decent pints but there are definitely better from Oregon and Portland.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Hey Shaun, do you ever see any Oregon beers over in Blighty? If so, I am assuming it will be Rogue or Deschutes and if that is the case they are decent pints but there are definitely better from Oregon and Portland.
I've got bottles from Rogue (Brutal IPA, Hazelnut plus one other) and I've seen plenty other Rogue ales available either online or in a handful of pubs. Not sure about the other brewery you mentioned. About 5 different bottles from Beer Valley is available online. Possibly Caldera was or still is too.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shaun wrote: I've got bottles from Rogue (Brutal IPA, Hazelnut plus one other) and I've seen plenty other Rogue ales available either online or in a handful of pubs. Not sure about the other brewery you mentioned. About 5 different bottles from Beer Valley is available online. Possibly Caldera was or still is too.
Caldera is ok...it's from Ashland down near the California border. Deschutes is from Bend, which is central Oregon and their beers are great. Especially the cask conditioned pints poured at the pub. Rogue is from Newport which is a coastal town. Full Sail Brewery too, which is out of Hood River is good. The larger Portland brews you may see are Bridgeport, MacTarnahans and Widmer's.

But, for my money the best of Portland comes in its small breweries/brew pubs. Captured By Porches, Amnesia, Burnside, Alameda and Breakside are all essential Portland beers in my opinion.

Actually, thinking of it...Pelican Brewery from Pacific City is also a very good pint.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

EDIT.
Last edited by Shaun on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Deschutes, Full Sail, Bridgeport, MacTarnahans, Widmer's, Captured By Porches, Amnesia, Burnside, Alameda and Breakside are all essential Portland beers in my opinion.

Actually, thinking of it...Pelican Brewery from Pacific City is also a very good pint.
I have never seen any of those breweries anywhere in the UK. Either online, in a pub or specialist off licence.

Out of curiosity, what Belgium beers do you guys see over there and at what prices?
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Tix are still availble for the GABF. What was sold out was "members only" - a session held prior to the general public and for industry veterans and members of AHA ( american homebrewers associaton ). You get to taste the beers in a very small, informal setting - much better than the one to the general public and you get to talk to the brewers, etc. and mingle with other people knowledgeable about beer.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Portland hosts several beer festivals but I have never been. Mainly because it costs $25-30 just to enter, then you have to buy the commemorative glass and the tokens. You are only allowed 5 tokens though, which is 2.5 pints. That is A LOT of money to spend for 2.5 pints of beer. I'd much rather go to the pub with a few friends, spend far less, have more beers and still have a decent selection to choose from. In fact, we're doing that later tonight! :)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

In the fridge for an IPA night. Odell IPA, Dogfish Head 90 Minutes, Flying Dog Raging Bitch and Smuttynose Big IPA.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shaun wrote:In the fridge for an IPA night. Odell IPA, Dogfish Head 90 Minutes, Flying Dog Raging Bitch and Smuttynose Big IPA.
It amazes me as big as an IPA fan as I am I've only had two of those and you can get them in the UK. Odell and Smuttynose are not sold here in Michigan. Smuttynose have really cool pirate looking tap handles.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote: It amazes me as big as an IPA fan as I am I've only had two of those and you can get them in the UK. Odell and Smuttynose are not sold here in Michigan. Smuttynose have really cool pirate looking tap handles.
I've seen quite a few beers over here from Odell Brewery. Smuttynose is available but not quite as much. There are probably more Flying Dog beers available than any of those other 3 breweries.

GBBF this week at London Olympia. Too crowded but still usually a decent day out getting completely wasted. Plenty to choose from with lots of foreign beers available, and cider.

A friend phoned me yesterday and talked me into buying a magnum sized bottled of La Chouffe from Belgium. Only about £15:00.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

So, how good is Pliny the Elder?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not worthy of the hype. In fact there are better double IPA's. Things are so regional in the US. 90% of the US doesn't get Great lakes Brewing- Lake erie Monster, Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree or Hopslam. All these are better. In my opinion of course.
Hopslam is in a class of its own mainly due to the honey added.
On the other hand most of the US doesn't get Pliny The Elder. Its like forbidden fruit.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I, agree that Pliny the Elder and Younger are waaay overhyped. That's just the way it is. Pliny the Younger is released here in 'limited' time and quantity and you should see the punters line up for it .... at 10-12 ounce serving for $6.00 bucks or so. I've heard from some friends who are in the know that the beer is so hoppy that they actually use hop extract instead of actual hops ...

Never tried Hopslam so I can't compare ....
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote:Not worthy of the hype. In fact there are better double IPA's. Things are so regional in the US. 90% of the US doesn't get Great lakes Brewing- Lake erie Monster, Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree or Hopslam. All these are better. In my opinion of course.
Hopslam is in a class of its own mainly due to the honey added.
On the other hand most of the US doesn't get Pliny The Elder. Its like forbidden fruit.
Hopefully I will have the opportunity to try some PtE later in the year.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree.... There is some of that in the UK now. I pre ordered a bottle today.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Here's an interesting article about some of the beer scene taking place in London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... sance.html#
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shaun wrote:Here's an interesting article about some of the beer scene taking place in London.
It's nice to see that the American micro craft beer renaissance has helped inspire a new generation of British to revitalize their own ancient brew tradition.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

This article about 50 beers in 50 States was featured in this week's Willamette Week (an alternative, free paper here in Portland). They highlight several of the beers we have discussed in this thread as well as the other beer thread. Make sure you click on the hot link at the end of page one to read their 50 choices from the 50 States.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-1 ... beers.html
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just found this online which might be of interest to people here... maybe start scoring off those you've tried...

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0068/6 ... _Large.jpg
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Wrong badge, right beer. And what an incredible beer too.

redcloud
Known user

Mead

Post by redcloud »

Not beer nor am I promoting it as "best in the world"....just thought I would post this in here instead of starting a new thread.

So, a friend of mine has his own beehive and he decided to make some Mead. He ended up getting about 40 or so pints out of the honey he collected from the hive. We went over last night for dinner and after our meal he opened a bottle and poured us a glass. WOW! It was my first time drinking mead and it was lovely - sweet but with a bitter after taste. The taste of honey with a bit of wintergreen is how I would describe it. Needless to say, it was quite potent too. He wasn't sure of the alcohol percentage but he reckons anywhere between 11-15%. It definitely went straight to my head. As we left he gave me a bottle, which I plan to save for a special occasion. :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Mead is wonderful. It shouldn't be bitter, but really sweet. You can't drink a pint of that, you'll get a hangover the next day. Their is sooo much fusel alchohol in it where it's more of a sipping liquor. Real easy to make and it can be cheap if you have a beehive, otherwise honey is expensive to purchase. For a 5 gallon batch you need at least 12-15 lbs.

I made a 5 gallon batch 2 years ago and it is still in the glass carboy. I got a little 'infection' and I'm aging it a bit to see if it mellows some of the off-flavors. I should take a sip and find out ... :|
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spacemanrich wrote:Mead is wonderful. It shouldn't be bitter, but really sweet. You can't drink a pint of that, you'll get a hangover the next day. Their is sooo much fusel alchohol in it where it's more of a sipping liquor.
He split one 20oz bottle between four sherry style dessert wine glasses. It was definitely sweet but it also had a hint of wintergreen (probably tasting the PNW flora that the bees frequent).
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Dopesmoker inspired beer? I think I might need to head down here on Saturday: "TRVE Brewing will tap its biggest beer ever, Nazareth, a 10 percent ABV double IPA dedicated to the one-hour-and-three-minute anthem to pot, "Dopesmoker," by the stoner-metal band Sleep. The beer was made with four-and-a-half pounds of hops per barrel; hops, which are related to cannabis, often give off a dank aroma, similar to pot -- and Nazareth's odor will be no exception. The beer will be tapped at 8 p.m."
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

spzretent wrote:http://beerstreetjournal.com/founders-goes-worldwide/
Seems I was a few years ahead of my time here.
Bastards!
I have tried several different beers from Founders over here already, so someone was ahead of them. Plus (out of the blue) the following from Shorts have appeared......
Good Humans, Huma Lupa, Publican Porter, The Woodmaster, ControversiALE, Autumn Ale and Soft Parade. All 355ml bottles. Thoughts on those?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not a massive Short's fan. When they get it right they are great: Anniversary Ale & Spirit Of 76. Huma Lupa is good too. Problem is they dont get it right 90% of the time.
I prefer Founders, Bell's & Dark Horse.
I just had three friends from Manchester over here and we went to Bell's & Dark Horse. They loved Dark Horse. Smaller brewery. Crazy atmosphere. Bell's was good too. It was Oberon release day which is avery big deal here. Signifies warm weather ie: Spring & Summer.