What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: I bought it at the Liverpool show on Friday night. It is a CD in a thin DVD case. Notes on the case say limited edition of 300 for Record Store Day 2012. I bought it because I had all the other music they had for sale already. I'm afraid that is all I really know about it. There is some info on discogs here:
http://www.discogs.com/Carlton-Melton-A ... se/3595474
remember seeing this on the merch stand on Saturday night too. like olan says, it's in a DVD case, and it just had a label on it saying 'Rarities'.. they must be selling it on tour only.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Its ok... found it on discogs... i have all the tracks from it as MP3s although i hope to pick up a copy now that i know it exists. Does anyone have a copy of the Arena Point CDr they put out?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Hookworms.

Managed to miss them at the Supersonic Festival, even though they were playing in my back yard, practically.
Curiosity led me to a YouTube clip, and I haven't felt so uplifted and excited by a new (to me) band in ages.

Mainly because they sound like a combination of Loop, Spacemen, a bit Stereolabby, Verve's early noisy stuff, Telescopes maybe.

And they only have about 5 songs. Released one LP (sold out) also available on cassette tape (also sold out) and a split 7" (also sold out).

Finally managed to track down a (paid for) download of the album, single and a live recording. Bunged them onto a CDR and stuffed in my car stereo.

Really can't get enough of it right now. I'll probably play it to death and be sick of it by November.

Um... linkage? → http://youtu.be/lETd39FzL_8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

PiL: Metal Box

Haven't listened to this in ages. Epic album. I love the sound Wobble gets from his bass, and how Levine's guitar simply slices through the music.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Reading Paradise Lost while listening to Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada (GYBE). Intense.

Sun Araw - Beach Head. Been listening to it all weekend. ?bliss?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

rowland s. howard- 'pop crimes' (can't believe i didn't know he was the guitarist for the birthday party- went through an intense phase of listening to them back in 2003)
this CAVE flexi i had on hold that i finally went to pick up today
galaxie 500- 'on fire'
hope sandoval & the warm inventions- 'through the devil softly'
spiritualized- 'let it come down'/the 9:30 club npr recording from this year
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

shalloboi wrote: galaxie 500- 'on fire'
Hey I listened to that today as well! That album evokes many... Emotion-memories? For me because of the specific circumstances under which I first heard it. I don't know, do you guys know the feeling where certain emotions/memories are super closely linked to an album? This is one of those albums for m, and I always am immediately transported to the time I first listened to it whenever I hear songs from it (particularly snowstorm... That's one of my all time favorite songs... Gets me everytime).
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

shalloboi wrote:this CAVE flexi i had on hold that i finally went to pick up today
Is this the Rotted Tooth Recordings flexi?
Any good?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Minky wrote:
shalloboi wrote:this CAVE flexi i had on hold that i finally went to pick up today
Is this the Rotted Tooth Recordings flexi?
Any good?
yes to both questions! surprisingly short, though. thee oh sees managed to fit over 7 minutes onto a flexi and it still sounded fantastic. was kind of hoping for a longer track, but it's every bit as good as anything off of 'neverendless.'
Hofstadter wrote:
Hey I listened to that today as well! That album evokes many... Emotion-memories? For me because of the specific circumstances under which I first heard it. I don't know, do you guys know the feeling where certain emotions/memories are super closely linked to an album? This is one of those albums for m, and I always am immediately transported to the time I first listened to it whenever I hear songs from it (particularly snowstorm... That's one of my all time favorite songs... Gets me everytime).
it was rainy and grey here today, so i went for a long walk in a non-mass transit friendly neighborhood. no one else was out at all- it was kind of eerie, but 'on fire' was the perfect soundtrack. hadn't listened to it in ages. it's a classic!
it has the same effect on me, too. i love the production on it and as if that weren't enough my copy is one of the kramer remasters and he did a perfect job with it. such reverence.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Shinesalight wrote:
good dope/good fun wrote:New Cheval Sombre album - Mad Love
What are your thoughts?
Hasn't grabbed me how his other album did.
I had to listen to "Little Bit of Heaven" at least a dozen times before I could even get to the next track on that album.
Then the latter half of that album to the end just had a nice flow from Hyacinth House > I've Been All Around This World > The Strangest Thought.

I'm not done listening to it for a few more times.

Sophomore album.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Hofstadter wrote:
I get that with every album - especially as it concerns the change in seasons...
Today I listened to some Housemartins. Tomorrow some Chameleons, maybe.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hofstadter wrote:
I am listening to Simple Minds Sons And Fascination & Sister Feelings Call. Same thing happens to me with this record. It sounds even better today than it 30+ years ago. Music certainly has that effect.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

The Byrds! in glorious Mono!

eight miles high sounded fantastic walking through rain and fog on the way to work this AM
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Carlton Melton - Live, Roadburn Festival, 2011
Carlton Melton - early split EPs and various bits and bobs...
Bardo Pond - No Hashish, No Change Money, No Saki Saki
Bardo Pond - Latitudes EP

Absolutely perfect for my ears just now...
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

The Clientele - Suburban Light
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new CAVE flexi is out? I didn't know that. Where did you buy it?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:The new CAVE flexi is out? I didn't know that. Where did you buy it?
permanent records. i think they still have it at reckless as well.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Spiritualized - Feel So Sad (Live at Flux Festival 1998)

I've never gotten around to listening to this before but it's excellent... perhaps as good as the Peel Sessions version.
debased
Known user

Post by debased »

I can't believe how many great albums have been released in the past few weeks. And there's more to come.

Tame Impala - Lonerism
Soft Pack - Strapped
Gary Clark Jr. - Blak And Blu
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Allelujah
Goat - World Music
Night Moves - Colored Emotions
John Barry - Body Heat (New 2CD edition of the original unreleased mix - the holy grail for many Barry fans.)
The Vines - Future Primitive (Craig's recent arrest made me realize I'd lost track of his band. I don't think this one from last year got a US release.)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

shalloboi wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:The new CAVE flexi is out? I didn't know that. Where did you buy it?
Scored the last copy at the Reckless Loop location. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Grrrrr ... man, fuck this flexi format! I was skeptical about this, but having not actually encountered a flexi since I was about the age of 7, I figured I'd give it a shot, especially since I'm a big CAVE fan. After about 7 tries at transferring it, I gave up and turned it off. I couldn't even get close to making it all the way through without a skip. I tried cleaning it, too. This is a great track, but based on this experience, I won't be buying any more flexis. At $5.50 for just one song, where exactly is the savings over the cost of a regular 7"? Not happy. I've got a 70's pressing of the Byrds' Younger Than Yesterday now and it's playing just fine and sounds wonderful.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Release of an Oath: Electric Prunes/David Axelrod
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:
shalloboi wrote:
Scored the last copy at the Reckless Loop location. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Grrrrr ... man, fuck this flexi format! I was skeptical about this, but having not actually encountered a flexi since I was about the age of 7, I figured I'd give it a shot, especially since I'm a big CAVE fan. After about 7 tries at transferring it, I gave up and turned it off. I couldn't even get close to making it all the way through without a skip. I tried cleaning it, too. This is a great track, but based on this experience, I won't be buying any more flexis. At $5.50 for just one song, where exactly is the savings over the cost of a regular 7"? Not happy. I've got a 70's pressing of the Byrds' Younger Than Yesterday now and it's playing just fine and sounds wonderful.
i'll send you a copy of the transfer i did. it sounds pretty good and there are no skips.
it must've been done by pirate's press- they charge more to press a one-sided flexi than some pressing plants charge for vinyl 45s. makes no sense.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Hedspace wrote:Release of an Oath: Electric Prunes/David Axelrod
good work!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Hey Tyler,
Thanks for the offer. I actually got an mp3 copy from Cooper. Yes, it's a Pirate's Press flexi, I noticed their name on it.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

and you will know us by the trail of dead - lost songs

this is awesome ....a *proper* return to form, best thing theyve done since sources tag & codes.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spunder wrote:and you will know us by the trail of dead - lost songs

this is awesome ....a *proper* return to form, best thing theyve done since sources tag & codes.
interesting.. it does seem every album since ST&C's has been touted as a 'return to form', gets a bit 'boy who cried wolf' haha
was listening to Madonna the other night.. also a great album.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:
spunder wrote:and you will know us by the trail of dead - lost songs

interesting.. it does seem every album since ST&C's has been touted as a 'return to form', gets a bit 'boy who cried wolf' haha
was listening to Madonna the other night.. also a great album.
i know what you are saying...i thought the last one was pretty good, however Lost Songs is a full on sonic assault...i am really liking it...buy/ download it tomorrow...if you like Madonna you'll like this!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Kenny Tudrick double CD / Richard Davies - Telegraph

Thank you Alan
'Remember, change is not good'
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Just stopped in Permanent Records to pick up the copy I reserved of the new VU Verve/MGM LP box and noticed that they had a brand new CAVE 7" from their recent European tour, so I grabbed a copy. Tracks are "Party Legs" and "Thai I Am". Sounds to me like they recorded it after Rotten Milk left, but before the new guitarist started.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

runcible wrote:Camera - Radiate!
This is the sound of new Krautrock and very enjoyable it is too - even Michael Rother says as much. Take a look:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KxGq2jw_eU

Large tip of the hat to Paul Warmth for hooking me up. Brilliant stuff.
Just listened to his off yer guys' rec... awesome indeed!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Lots of postwar blues...

My Dad's in town and recommended Jimmy Reed from when he grew up at the cusp of the rock 'n' roll era, and then I played him some Elmore Leonard, Little Walter, etc.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Permanent Records has copies of the Camera album on vinyl for anyone in the U.S. who might be interested. Price is $17, not bad at all.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

TheWarmth wrote:Permanent Records has copies of the Camera album on vinyl for anyone in the U.S. who might be interested. Price is $17, not bad at all.
This Camera album seems to be getting quite a bit of praise on here. I know Neil Lights is a big fan of them. Think it's going to go on the Xmas wish list if I don't buy it myself beforehand.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
victoryrose
New user

Post by victoryrose »

spzretent wrote:Sigur Ros- Petta er Island Live triple LP. Wow! Amazing quality for an "unofficial" release.
I would be very interested how this sounds as I Mastered this particular concert.
I didn't master it for vinyl however so I would be interested in how it translated

jon
victoryrose
New user

Post by victoryrose »

spzretent wrote:I'm no expert but it sounds fantastic.
What was it mastered for? Cd? Broadcast?
cool :) - I master all the Sigur ros concerts as I would a regular CD, although the one thing I do a little different is to put something off the 'feel' of a live concert into the audio. I must say though that particular show (Portland 2008) had a superb sound to begin with. I think that was the first time that Jonsi used a brand new distortion peddle for his guitar. the start of Svefn-G-Englar is just HUGE. I love it. Its probably one of the most 'colourful' sounding shows. Some of the early ones from the 2000's are much more subdued but also their own particular special sound.
Im jealous of your vinyl though :D
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Shinesalight wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Permanent Records has copies of the Camera album on vinyl for anyone in the U.S. who might be interested. Price is $17, not bad at all.
This Camera album seems to be getting quite a bit of praise on here. I know Neil Lights is a big fan of them. Think it's going to go on the Xmas wish list if I don't buy it myself beforehand.
On the strength of just that one listen I picked up a copy of it at my local record store today. Really satisfied. Goes really well with >>. I'm really digging this a lot.

Some similar vibes: Cloudland Canyon's Aureliua.

Also threw on Carter Tutti Void's Transverse today.

EDIT: Also, I've been watching a lot of videos of Camera just playing spontaneous shows in places like the Berlin Underground... super cool. Apparently they just did this for a long time and even snuck into a lot of big award ceremony type events and just set up their gear and played impromptu shows. They would just play wherever/whenever until they got chased away. So yeah the did these sorts of shows for a long time before even thinking about recording a record I guess. They keep getting cooler...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

CAVE did a show with Camera on their recent Euro tour. Apparently, the guys in Camera were annoyed that they were playing a standard venue. They prefer to do those impromptu shows outdoors. Also, I'm told that they had to be coaxed into recording, but I'm not so sure I believe that.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

victoryrose wrote:
spzretent wrote:I'm no expert but it sounds fantastic.
What was it mastered for? Cd? Broadcast?
cool :) - I master all the Sigur ros concerts as I would a regular CD, although the one thing I do a little different is to put something off the 'feel' of a live concert into the audio. I must say though that particular show (Portland 2008) had a superb sound to begin with. I think that was the first time that Jonsi used a brand new distortion peddle for his guitar. the start of Svefn-G-Englar is just HUGE. I love it. Its probably one of the most 'colourful' sounding shows. Some of the early ones from the 2000's are much more subdued but also their own particular special sound.
Im jealous of your vinyl though :D
this sounds really cool but i went to your blog in search of the show but the links were down. is that because of the vinyl release? I remember tracking down some incredible gigs back the early 2000s and being mightily impressed, so i definitely agree with you there. seems like that material really lent itself to being played live. personally, the more twinkly/poppy stuff doesn't appeal so much. i much prefer the darker sigur ros stuff :twisted:
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Magic Lantern - Platoon
Eternal Tapestry - Dawn in the Fourth Dimension
Lumerians - Lumerians
Oooooo..... yeahhh.... I haven't had a school night this fun in a while...

Some other weirdo stuff:
Prince Rama - Trust Now
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Dustin Wong - dreams say, view, create, shadow leads.... one man and his guitar FX'd up to the eyeballs and the odd drum machine... a very complex, melodic and joyous record indeed!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New turntable purchased, replacing a raher old, reliable but no frills Acoustic solutions model. Opted for The Project Essential, set it up last night and debuted it with Neil Young-Decade, which was all rather splendid. Tonight I shalll be mainly listening to lots more vinyl, consisting of Carlton Melton, Can, Neu, Spacemen 3 and Hawkwind
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hofstadter wrote: Eternal Tapestry - Dawn in the Fourth Dimension
can you tell me more about this band, I've heard their name around a bit... quite trippy?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

My initial flight to the UK was canceled because of "extreme" fog here in San Diego. I'm still on vacation though, and I treated myself to some new albums (new to me) today.

The Soft Boys - Underwater Moonlight
The dB's - Stands for Decibels

I can't believe I've never listened to this Soft Boys album before. It's fantastic.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

angelsighs wrote:
can you tell me more about this band, I've heard their name around a bit... quite trippy?
Woops I was a little bonkered when I wrote that last night haha. I meant to say Dawn in 2 Dimensions and and Beyond the 4th Door... don't really know how that happened. But yeah, trippy indeed... Beyond the Fourth Door is EXCELLENT a little more atmospheric than Dawn, which is a bit heavier. If you know/like Magic Lantern, you will DEFINITELY like Eternal Tapestry... I highly recommend the collaboration LP that Eternal Tapestry did with Sun Araw (Cameron Stallones of Magic Lantern). ET is a Portland psych band, and they sound like it if that makes any sense... first came across them on Portable Shrines' Portland psych comp Magic Sounds Theatre Vol. I from Record Store Day two years ago - that summer, it's cover caught my eye just sort of tucked away in the record store I go to, so I grabbed it and loved it (a LOT of good stuff - Eternal Tapestry, Night Beats, Prince Rama, Plankton Wat, Kinski...)...

Eternal Tapestry are not too far down the noise/drone spectrum, a bit more lush, almost pastoral... there's a very jammy feel to most of their songs, and albums are pretty much always five songs or fewer. There's definitely some Ash Ra Tempel vibes on a lot of ET's stuff in my opinion... sorta like if you added a few more members to Ash Ra Tempel. My favorite are the slower, more meandering songs that you just sort of drift through... I highly recommend BT4D and DI2D for the spacier, more pensive stuff and the collab with Sun Araw, Night Gallery, for more propulsive, Kraut-ier sounding stuff.

At school today/lined up for later tonight:
Thee Oh Sees - Putrifiers II
Singapore Sling - Perversity, Desperation, and Death
The Warlocks - Surgery
Blue Angel Lounge - s/t
Black Angels - Phosphene Dream
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the info- I do indeed like Magic Lantern (in fact I think I prefer them to Sun Araw)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Mer-Da -'Long Burn The Fire'

I have the morning off as I have to work into the evening. Playing this record very, very loud. Absolutely killer funky grooves with tons of soul. One of my faves.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:
I really like them. Quite droney with some great psych guitar. They've also got another new album (2nd this year no less) out in a fortnights time:-

http://www.resident-music.com/productde ... t_id=22851
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

This Mortal Coil - It'll End In Tears (remastered Japanese edition)

sounds incredible. this is how all remasters should sound, but rarely do
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Shinesalight wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
I really like them. Quite droney with some great psych guitar. They've also got another new album (2nd this year no less) out in a fortnights time:-

http://www.resident-music.com/productde ... t_id=22851
Portland band. Seen them a few times live and they were very good.

Sorry, just have to give a shout out for my adopted city.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Popol Vuh - Coeur de Verre / Herz aus Glas
Popol Vuh - Einsjager & Siebenjager
Mount Eerie - Clear Moon
Mount Eerie - Ocean Roar
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Stone Roses - Second Coming

Rained off work (again :x ) so waiting to get tickets for the Stone Roses gig at Finsbury Park next June while listening to their underrated second album on lovely double vinyl. Going to have a five month old baby by that time and prob wouldn't have bothered but its my brother-in-laws birthday and a whole load of us are going to try and go. Having seen them live twice back around the time of Second Coming but after Reni had left, this might be the only chance I get to see them in their original line up as I didn't fancy going to any of the big festivals they played last year, and prob next year too.

UPDATE: Bingo! Tickets purchased. Actually quite excited, regardless of the whole should they/shouldn't they have reformed debate. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

"Quartermaster" from the Skyfall score
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Jethro Tull - Benefit (quintessential Autumn listening, for me at least)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runaway wrote:Jethro Tull - Benefit (quintessential Autumn listening, for me at least)
One of, if not THE best Tull albums. I love it too.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Durutti Column: The Guitar and Other Machines (White Label unplayed before tonight)

The last few days have been a tad trying. This album is an old favourite of mine from 1986 or 1987. I decided to treat myself and played it for the first time......just beautiful :D
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Shinesalight wrote:
UPDATE: Bingo! Tickets purchased. Actually quite excited, regardless of the whole should they/shouldn't they have reformed debate. :D
dont worry about it....they were amazing on the Sunday at Heaton Park.

anyway, been loving the Bo Dingen album...heavy psyche sludge to blow away the cobwebs first thing.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

stuck listening to some boring work call.. meh.
spunder wrote: anyway, been loving the Bo Dingen album...heavy psyche sludge to blow away the cobwebs first thing
Bo Ningen even.. I struggle a bit with their recorded output, and this LP is a long one. Daikaisei is fantastic though!
They are absolutely brilliant live, I caught them again a couple of weeks ago, and anyone who gets the chance should try to see these guys live at least once.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Cheval Sombre - s/t. Beautiful!!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

tame impala- 'lonerism'

finally got ahold of this and listened to it a few times today and a few times yesterday. i like it more and more with each listen. i resisted because i didn't like 'elephant' when i first heard it. it just seemed like people were a little too enthusiastic about it for me to just ignore it.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

flokie wrote: Bo Ningen even.. I struggle a bit with their recorded output, and this LP is a long one. Daikaisei is fantastic though!
They are absolutely brilliant live, I caught them again a couple of weeks ago, and anyone who gets the chance should try to see these guys live at least once.
:) i was hungover when i wrote that. would love to see them live.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Crystal Syphon : Family Evil - incredible lost 60's Byrds/Beatles/Buffalo Springfield-influenced stuff. Just got reissued.
Clinic : Free Reign - REALLY good!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Big Naturals: Self titled LP on Greasy Trucker Records

Nice item this. White vinyl in a folded sleeve rather than a proper cover. The sleeve folds out to poster-sized.

Musically this is really my sort of album, circling tribal drum patterns, great slabs of guitar noise, heaps of wah-wah, descending bass-lines that may be produced by analog synths or may be produced by the scuzziest bass guitar I have heard in ages. Not much by way of vocals other than some random howling and some found voice samples. Feckin' marvelous stuff. Who needs melody when you can have this kind of controlled chaos?

Bardo Pond: YNTRA
Not played it yet but am looking forward to it from the bits that were played to me in the Record Store...

Good days shopping really.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote:Crystal Syphon : Family Evil - incredible lost 60's Byrds/Beatles/Buffalo Springfield-influenced stuff. Just got reissued.
Really enjoying this too, which was new to me. Cheers Paul. Did you find it on LP or CD? Also, from what I gather it's not reissued as they never officially released anything. It's a bunch of odds and sods including some live tracks from the SF Ballrooms.

I don't hear as much Byrds/Beatles/Buff Springfield as you do. It's more rocky and very west coast jammy/fuzzy acid psych. To me, it brings to mind H.P. Lovecraft, Quicksilver MS, and at times, early Country Joe and The Fish. Great stuff!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This is a brand new reissue. I was at Carl Saff's studio working on new Warmth stuff and it was in a pile of records that he had recently mastered. He said I would probably like it, so I took it home and he was right. Really great stuff. The liner notes reference both the Beatles and the Byrds quite a bit, but I hear more Buffalo Springfield in there. I admit that I'm not very familiar with Country Joe & the Fish. What album is best to start with?
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Eternal Tapestry: A World Out of Time & Prometheus Rising / New LP & Live CDr.... WOOHOO!

Deep Magic - Lucid Thought Bliss out meditation music

Black Angels - Phosphene Dream

Finally found a track that is really growing on me on the new Tame Impala album - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards in Time... just saw the music video for it as well, pretty cheesy, but also pretty pretty. I don't know why it took so long, but yeah, I'm starting to really like this one. Hopefully the rest of the album follows.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

TheWarmth wrote: The liner notes reference both the Beatles and the Byrds quite a bit, but I hear more Buffalo Springfield in there.
I think there is a certain amount of pretension and over hype on some of these lower-tier bands where they try to compare them to more popular bands of the era. I don't hear the jingle jangle of the Byrds nor the song writing of the Beatles. Not to mention the harmonies are nowhere near either band. That said, it's a killer selection of tunes from one of the lesser known and forgotten bands of the era. I have several books on the whole scene and I looked them up and only Ralph Gleason's "Jefferson Airplane & The SF Sound" has them listed but only in the back where he attempts to list all SF bands. There is another lesser known band from the era called Frumious Bandersnatch who also never released an LP but California acid rock collector/compiler Alec Palao put out an LP of their various odds and sods including some live bits and it too is really great. Some blistering, jammy, fuzzy acid guitar. I stumbled on this Bandersnatch LP several years ago in Manchester, England. Same record store spzretent frequents when he travels over there.
TheWarmth wrote: I admit that I'm not very familiar with Country Joe & the Fish. What album is best to start with?
I have a great relationship with their albums, and in particular, their first two; 'Electric Music For The Mind & Body' and 'I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin-To-Die'. With exception to the goofy jug band song of the latter album's title, both are tremendous records and along with the Pretty Things they were my go to band during my high school years. These were nearly 17 year old albums even then but I discovered them at the perfect time in my life. But, both are very dated and even more so now than when I first heard them in 1984/5. So you can't listen to them with 21st century ears. They are relics of their time. The former, when released, was advertised as "the ultimate album to trip to". There are some tremendous tunes on it and are very lysergic. Joe McDonald's hippie lyrics and Barry Melton's scorching fuzz mixed with David Cohen's cheesy keys makes for a blissful mix and arguably some of the most truly psychedelic music to come from the Bay Area in the late 60's. Songs like 'Bass Strings', 'Grace', 'Section 43', 'Happiness Is A Porpoise Mouth', 'Magoo', 'Thursday' and 'Eastern Jam' ooze pure Owsley LSD off their grooves. They are absolute classics and essential records for any psychedelic collection. I'll hook you up but you should locate original Vanguard copies. Vanguard struggled to record them so the production isn't great but original copies are well worth picking up. The second album came with a "Fish Game" insert and if you locate one with its game it will be a little more pricey but neither will break the bank.