Black Crowes 2013 Dates

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

purespace
Known user

Black Crowes 2013 Dates

Post by purespace »

I think I feel it coming on
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Black Crowes 2013 Dates

Post by runcible »

Holy shit! UK dates too? (scrambles to look at the calendar for next year...)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

YES! :D

This must only be the first part of the tour as nothing west of Austin is listed.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just seen that the Glasgow show is billed as "An Evening with The Black Crowes" with no planned support... which i thought sounded really good, until i found out that they want just under £40 a bloody ticket!!!! Not best pleased! :cry:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Wait for the booking fee. £83 for 2 tickets and £16 of that was booking and handling fee.

But I got in via the O2 back door to Ticketmaster and bought some. No way can I miss that. Mind you I did in 2011 through unforeseen circumstances so who knows...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Laz69 wrote:Just seen that the Glasgow show is billed as "An Evening with The Black Crowes" with no planned support... which i thought sounded really good, until i found out that they want just under £40 a bloody ticket!!!! Not best pleased! :cry:
Gents, that is pretty steep! BUT, I saw this show in early Dec. 2010 and it was incredible! Three hours long....set one all acoustic/set two electric. Amazing concert with wonderful nods to Allman Bros. style lengthy Southern boogie jams. Mind you, this was with Luther so it could be a bit different without him. But, as runcible said, I trust the Crowes to get the best guy to fill the lead guitar slot (unless Rich takes over lead duties and Jackie plays rhythm). Still, if you are willing to pay that much it will be a long killer night of great music.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm put off by the price. When i saw them at Manchester 2011 I think, they promised a mega long set, played for just over an hour and a half with a set that comprised of just 13 songs. What they played was good, but I expected much more.

Another issue is BRMC are playing the Ritz on the same night, possibly my fave live band of all time, do I watch the Crowes somewhere else on an away day type trip or vice versa with the Crowes ?? Decisions Decisions
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

redcloud wrote:
Laz69 wrote:Just seen that the Glasgow show is billed as "An Evening with The Black Crowes" with no planned support... which i thought sounded really good, until i found out that they want just under £40 a bloody ticket!!!! Not best pleased! :cry:
Gents, that is pretty steep! BUT, I saw this show in early Dec. 2010 and it was incredible! Three hours long....set one all acoustic/set two electric. Amazing concert with wonderful nods to Allman Bros. style lengthy Southern boogie jams. Mind you, this was with Luther so it could be a bit different without him. But, as runcible said, I trust the Crowes to get the best guy to fill the lead guitar slot (unless Rich takes over lead duties and Jackie plays rhythm). Still, if you are willing to pay that much it will be a long killer night of great music.

There is still a possibility i'll make it along, but i was hoping to get Mrs Laz to come too as she's really enjoyed the CRB albums and i thought she'd maybe enjoy seeing the Crowes too, but i couldn't afford to by two tickets.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Sod it, ticket now booked for Birnmingham, day after the BRMC gig
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I'm put off by the price. When i saw them at Manchester 2011 I think, they promised a mega long set, played for just over an hour and a half with a set that comprised of just 13 songs. What they played was good, but I expected much more.
Hmmm. I had tickets for London in 2011 but couldn't go. But I definitely read at the time that the Manchester date was not going to be the same as the other dates in that it would be shorter and one set rather than two. I wonder if the tickets were the same price for all the dates in 2011? If so that's tough on the Manchester audience.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I'm put off by the price. When i saw them at Manchester 2011 I think, they promised a mega long set, played for just over an hour and a half with a set that comprised of just 13 songs.
When they toured the USA in 2010 3/4 of the dates were the two set 3 hour gig and a 1/4 of the dates were condensed 90 minute sets. How they justified it was bigger cities got the longer "Evening With..." shows and smaller cities/college towns got the shorter and more traditional show. Maybe that is what they did when they played the UK in 2011?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Thankfully the Manchester date for this tour is advertised as 'an evening with'. I hope that's what we get!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

(SPOILER ALERT!)
The Crowes were fantastic in Manchester last night. Despite the truly awful venue - one of those places that has no consideration for people's enjoyment, instead they want you in and out with as little fuss as possible - the band creamed the set list and delivered endless nuggets in fine fashion.

I thought it might be a 2 set (acoustic/electric) affair, but it was just the stripped-down 6-piece band playing their brand of rock 'n' roll for 2 and a bit hours. New lead guitarist Jackie Greene was immense and Chris Robinson's vocals were fantastic - I don't think he missed a note throughout. He's such a brilliant singer. The band all sported huge grins and seemed to be having a great time too which always adds to the enjoyment. No material from the last double Before The Frost/Until The Freeze, and nothing from Three Snakes which was very surprising. Lots of early songs and absolutely incredible versions of Jealous Again, Wiser Time and Thorn In My Pride, all of which had massive jams at the end which sent the crowd wild. Of course you're talking about really high quality musicians here so if they perform well it has to be good even of the sound wasn't great and got tinnier the further back you stood.

Thumbs up for an appreciative older middle-aged crowd (so I felt at home!) who lapped up everything the Crowes could conjure up. HUGE thumbs down to a totally shit venue. Having to queue for 20 minutes in the freezing cold despite having a ticket showed poor organisation. Horrible Showsec security who seemed intimidating to many people, plus many police inside the venue! Why were they in there? The crowd was so mellow and relaxed... I took a few pictures and at one point a bouncer tapped on my shoulder and asked me to stop using flash, despite people all over the venue using flash as well! I suspect he was bored and just fancied bothering someone. Twat. It made me realise why I hate Academy venues (and indeed all large venues) so much.

But a terrific night and one which brought it all back why I love the Black Crowes so much. I hope their reunion lasts this time and they return soon. Blazing.
Crowes set list.jpg
Crowes set list.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 10533 times
P1030654.JPG
P1030654.JPG (51.26 KiB) Viewed 10539 times
P1030651.JPG
P1030651.JPG (43.08 KiB) Viewed 10539 times
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Nice review Mark. Heading to see them in Glasgow on Wednesday... not a fan of the Glasgow vwenue either, but am determined that it will not stop me enjoying this show. Been almost 12 years since i last saw them, so pretty excited about this...
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Some things just get better with age. The Crowes are a band that have matured well. Glad this was a good show and worth the travel to Manchester.

I'm looking forward to the announcement of some west coast shows.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I braved the Baltic condions and headed towards Birmingham for the only my second Black Crowes live experience.
Ticlet prices as has been mentioned were steep, merch was very expensive so didnt bother, which was a shame as there was a nice tour poster on offer, but not at £25 thanks.
They came on at 8.02pm and preceded to rock the venue in their inimitable style till half past ten. Some great extended intros and outros, with songs being transformed from their original state and ensured that the punters were shaken from any complacency that crept in.
Set list was similar to Runcibles show, but we got five or so different tunes, which as I understand it is very much how they roll live, different sets, different set time lengths, different vibes, just dependsw how they feel. Last night I can only conclude they felt pretty good. Wiser Time (all 15 mins of it) was unbelivable and the real show stopper was the Hard To Handle into Hush back into hard to Handle opus at the end of the main set.
Really enjoyable, but trechourous conditions outside, punters were falling ten to the dozedn with conditions underfoot.
Chris's vocals were also top draw and I would urge anyone to get a slice of th Crowes on the tour, it may be their last chance, who knows?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

These shows are beginning to show up on various taper sites.
Aquarian-Time wrote:as I understand it is very much how they roll live, different sets, different set time lengths, different vibes, just dependsw how they feel.
Taking note from the Grateful Dead who did that perfectly. That is why their (the Dead) live shows have such an obsessive fan base.
Aquarian-Time wrote: I would urge anyone to get a slice of th Crowes on the tour, it may be their last chance, who knows?
Again, as with the Dead, these guys will continue to roll well into their old age. Sure, they may take some time off here and there but as we saw with the past couple years.....time off from BC produced some of their most creative and inspirational work (Rich's 'Through a Crooked Sun' and Chris' 'Big Moon Ritual' are phenomenal LP's).
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

now really looking forward to the Detroit gig, thanks for the reviews.
I think I feel it coming on
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Security was mega tight on people recording material last night, photos were ok, but if you were spotted in record mode you had one chance and then you were out. Venue was ok typical overcrowded Academy venue, crap beer and over zealous stewarding. Which taper sites should I be lookin at for these current shows ?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Security was mega tight on people recording material last night, photos were ok, but if you were spotted in record mode you had one chance and then you were out.

That's crazy! Again, taking their queue from the Dead, the Crowes allow and encourage audio tapers as long as one trades/shares and doesn't sell! At the last BC gig I saw in Dec. 2010 I stood next to a guy who had two microphones on stands plugged into serious recording equipment. It's not a problem as long as it is audio only. Video gets more problematic. So, the issue of audience audio recording was with the venue NOT the band.
Which taper sites should I be lookin at for these current shows ?
Manc gig is here. I haven't looked for Birmingham but it may be there too.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=563068
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sadly that's the UK for you. The reputation we have here for totally shit venues that treat bands and audiences like dirt is known throughout the music world. CAVE didn't bother coming to the UK when they toured Europe recently. Pete Kember hates playing here as bands are treated so badly.

There are exceptions of course. Leeds own Brudenell has a great reputation for looking after bands who play there. Johnny Marr made a brief speech when he played there and said he loved the place, and added 'but then all bands do'. Ripley from the Shjips sports his Brudenell shirt a lot of the time. You can throw in The Attic in Bristol - they took great care of the sound when I was there and were really nice to everyone. As was The Cross Kings in London (might have closed now) for the Rocket 10th Birthday. But these are smaller venues. Anything that a moderately successful band like The Black Crowes plays at is 99% likely to be full of wanker bouncers, have a very expensive and extremely poor bar selection, and have rubbish sound systems. It's embarrassing. These venues just want the event over and the money in the till and have no regard for people's enjoyment. So that's all venues linked under the Academy name, all arenas, anything to do with the Apollo chain....

Anyone who has been to a show at Amsterdam's Meklweg or Tilburg's 013 will know how well a venue can be run. Efficient, friendly door and bar staff, proper acoustics and a relaxed attitude towards punters. Compare that with The Garage on Highbury Corner - the way the audience for Dark Star Orchestra was treated was the worst I have ever experienced. This was a bunch of people in their 50s and 60s being treated like badly behaved football hooligans as the security yelled at everyone there, gave the most intimidating search I have been through (the arsehole searching me actually grabbed my bollocks as he stuck his face as close to mine as he could - just weird), and did everything they could to wind everyone up, yet it was without doubt the mellowest crowd I have ever known.

Sorry, rant over - this happens to be a subject I feel pretty deeply about. I hate the attitude of such venues and my heart sinks when bands I like - The Black Crowes, Spiritualized - play at them as it's a sure thing the potential of the event will be massively compromised.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

redcloud wrote: Manc gig is here. I haven't looked for Birmingham but it may be there too.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=563068
Not perfect sound quality but still a great show. Really excited about tomorrow night now! :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Setlist from last nights show in Glasgow:

1. Jealous Again
2. Thick N' Thin
3. Hotel Illness
4. Space Captain (Joe Cocker cover)
5. Oh Josephine
6. Wiser Time
7. She Talks to Angels
8. The Garden Gate
9. Whoa Mule
10. Soul Singing
11. High Head Blues
12. By Your Side
13. Hard to Handle > Hush > Hard To Handle
14. Sometimes Salvation
15. Thorn in My Pride

Encore:
16. Descending
17. Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution
18. Boomer's Story (Ry Cooder cover)

Superb show from start to finish. Sound seemed good in a venue i'm not overly fussed about at best, but hats must be tipped to the band. They came out all wrapped up for the cold, but 2 songs in they were all shed of their jackets and scarves and rockin out creating such a brilliant rock'n'roll party atmosphere that the crowd just lapped up.
A few highlights of the night:

Wiser Time - this had probably the best guitar solo stand off i've seen for ages! Rich Robinson and the new lead guitarist battling it out at the climax of the song. It was amazing to see, but even more wonderful on the ears!!! I was grinning from ear to ear listening to this.

Space Captain - a suprise inclusion, and it took me ages to realise it was a cover. Couldn't place it as it it just sounded "right" with them playing it like it was one of their own. It was buggin me and had to google it during the next song to find out where i'd heard it before.

She Talks To Angels - Always been a favourite of mine and wonderful to hear it played on the acoustic guitars. Chris dragging out the vocals and singing in a real bluesy drawl. Wonderful.

Thorn In My Pride - A stone-wall classic! Takes on a whole new dimension when let loose live. Like most of the tracks, the new guitarist just solo'd his heart out with such effortless ability. Great way to end the set.

Encore was great too, especially Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution, which i thought they were going to finish on.

As i said to my friend, they must really struggle to pick a setlist as, song after song, it was just classic after classic. They're obviously mixing up the covers they are including in their sets so i think everyone will get something a little different at each show. So glad i took the plunge and went. Now... a little CRB or Rich Robinson show wouldn't go a miss... :D

p.s. Only downside to the show was the fucking idiots next to us who spend the entire show taking pictures of themselves at the show... the urge to grab the fucker's phone and throw it off the wall was almost too much. People forever amaze me...
Last edited by Laz69 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I am envious that you got Garden Gate. While it may not rate highly among Crowes fans it's Cajun Country feel is just fantastic and often causes spontaneous dancing in the kitchen here with Mrs Runcible. We love that song.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, it was a real suprise to see that live. It followed on well from the acoustic She Talks To Angels and had the drummer sitting up front with Chris just using an Djembe drum.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Crowes have finally announced west coast dates. They're coming back to Portland on Dec. 6!

:D
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

I know there are a few fans on here and I saw this go up on the NYC Taper site and thought it might interest a few:
http://www.nyctaper.com/2013/10/the-bla ... l-theatre/

Great quality recordings on the site that are done with the permission of the bands and venues
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

JakeCardigan wrote:I know there are a few fans on here and I saw this go up on the NYC Taper site and thought it might interest a few:
http://www.nyctaper.com/2013/10/the-bla ... l-theatre/

Great quality recordings on the site that are done with the permission of the bands and venues
cheers for that! listening to the recording now, sounds great!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Just posted my review of last night's Crowes show (Dec. 6, 2013) in the "What Gigs Have you just been too" thread.

http://forum.spiritualized.me/viewtopic ... 12#p119212
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Black Crowes have officially split. One of my all time favourite bands is no more and I'm really gutted.

Both the bands the Robinson brothers have formed are pretty good but can't compare to what they produce together.

:cry:

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/the-bl ... -official/
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Suggests the break up was not very amicable.. shame...
Bon Ronham
Known user

Post by Bon Ronham »

Glad to see some TBC love on here. Saw them many many times in places as far as Glastonbury, LA, Florida, Kentucky, Tulsa, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio and Houston. They were along with Verve and the Church my ATF band, I learned all I know about what great live music is/was from those bands and none more than the Crowes. Heck they even wrote a song about how shitty my home town is, Houston Don't Dream About Me, so I can call score board at any time! Miss them and love them. RIP the Black Crowes,
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Rich Robinson's post Crowes outfit Magpie Salute are now on their 3rd night in London next April.

http://underthebridge.co.uk/events/the- ... salute-14/